Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There could be as many as 4 FRPs in 2025, or as few as 2. Only ours and Atlanta's are sure things. Charlottes may convey in 2024, and Chicagos may not convey in its first oppo in 2025. If Chicago doesn’t convey their pick to Orlando this year, but do next year, our clock with them won’t even start until 2026.
    I know, which is why I listed their protected status. Still, if you quickly go over those protections, you'll realize '25 is the likeliest year for both to convey, given that Charlotte is unlikely to make the playoffs this year or next (pick's protected 16/14/14) and for Chicago not to convey their '25 pick they'd have to fall into the top 4 this year (26% chance right now and decreasing) or into the top 10 in '25 (possible, but not the most likely scenario). So I'd say chances are we get AT LEAST one of the 2 in '25, and you can't ignore it and expect to deal with such a mess when the time comes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston has a couple more days to use an exception they got from the Hernangomez trade, they could use that if they REALLY wanted Poeltl, but they'd have to do so by Thursday. Still, they're over the luxury tax threshold meaning whatever salary they take they pay 3x in tax, and given their recent cost cutting move with us, I'm not sure they're eager to add to the payroll.
    Yeah I saw that, but the exception is only around 6.5M and not large enough to fit Jakob.

The team that has a nice exception to slot him is in Denver, but what they lack are picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know, which is why I listed their protected status. Still, if you quickly go over those protections, you'll realize '25 is the likeliest year for both to convey, given that Charlotte is unlikely to make the playoffs this year or next (pick's protected 16/14/14) and for Chicago not to convey their '25 pick they'd have to fall into the top 4 this year (26% chance right now and decreasing) or into the top 10 in '25 (possible, but not the most likely scenario). So I'd say chances are we get AT LEAST one of the 2 in '25, and you can't ignore it and expect to deal with such a mess when the time comes.
    In a scenario where we have 5 FRPs in 2025, we could always trade them to punt down the road or if we’ve drafted our “star” by then we could always trade them for a useful role player on a team now ready to start competing. While I agree 5 FRPs in one year would not be ideal, it is not an unmanageable situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a scenario where we have 5 FRPs in 2025, we could always trade them to punt down the road or if we’ve drafted our “star” by then we could always trade them for a useful role player on a team now ready to start competing. While I agree 5 FRPs in one year would not be ideal, it is not an unmanageable situation.
    Sure, but if you have a choice why not set things up properly from the start? Besides, even if it's manageable it doesn't come without a cost: every team knows you can't accommodate that many picks in any given season (in fact, more than 2 picks at once is usually too much), and that sets you in a position of weakness from the start, which is never good. So it should be a priority of the FO to plan the incoming picks ahead, whenever possible... and when not, then yes, as you say it's still an asset to flip later on. But it'd be stupid to CHOOSE so from the start if it can be avoided.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but if you have a choice why not set things up properly from the start? Besides, even if it's manageable it doesn't come without a cost: every team knows you can't accommodate that many picks in any given season (in fact, more than 2 picks at once is usually too much), and that sets you in a position of weakness from the start, which is never good. So it should be a priority of the FO to plan the incoming picks ahead, whenever possible... and when not, then yes, as you say it's still an asset to flip later on. But it'd be stupid to CHOOSE so from the start if it can be avoided.
    For sure, but if you look from Boston’s POV, they may value the 25 pick less because it more squarely fits into this currently window whereas further out gets a little murkier. So if you have a choice between an unprotected FRP in 25, or a top 8 protected in 27, which do you prefer in that scenario?

But because we have so many picks already, maybe swaps become more valuable? Instead of 1 FRP, maybe 2-3 unprotected swaps is the capital we acquire?

It’s all fun strategic message board fodder at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://theathletic.com/4101845/2023...-jakob-poeltl/
    Boston has maintained an interest in Poeltl for several seasons now and is continuing to monitor his market, according to team sources who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. The sticking point has been, as always, price. San Antonio has made it known to interested parties throughout the league the Spurs want two first-round picks for Poeltl, according to team and league sources, which was the same stance they took on Derrick White last season. The Celtics were able to acquire White for what ended up being the 25th pick in the most recent draft and a first-overall protected pick swap in 2028. Though Boston lost only one pick in aggregate, that swap is so far into the future the two franchises could plausibly be in polar opposite positions from today. Netting two firsts for a center on an expiring contract and expecting a big raise seems implausible, but it at least sets the bar high enough for San Antonio to come away with a first-rounder and some change for Poeltl. There is no impetus for the franchise to deal Poeltl, as the Spurs have the financial flexibility to give him a four-year deal and still have spending power. The Spurs would love to pair Poeltl with vaunted prospect Victor Wembanyama if they win the lottery, and would only move Poetl if they received an offer too good to pass up, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported last weekend. But they currently sit at 12.5 percent odds to win the lottery and know they can’t make decisions at this deadline, presuming they’ll even land in the top three

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What teams can even trade two firsts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What teams can even trade two firsts?
    I haven't gone through every team, but among those where Poeltl could conceivable be of even marginal interest, then Boston, Toronto, Lakers, Phoenix -if they deal Ayton-, Charlotte -if they want to bounce right back next year-. Golden State seems to be unable to trade until '28 (but could do 1 pick + swap), same as Chicago (1 pick -Portland's- + swap). But in any case I don't think it should be taken literally, it's a broad guideline for a contending team to start a negotiation, it may be 1 pick + 1 swap, or 1 unprotected far out, or 1 pick + 1 prospect, or 1 good young player + a second... it's all contingent on the situation. If you constraint yourself too much then options dwindle and price goes down. I think they're mostly putting out there the message that they're not dumping Poeltl, and that if anyone expects to get him for a single lowly first + garbage, they better think again. Which is correct, IMO.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo, to get two picks Spurs would have to take a bad contract, which shouldn't be an issue.

I still think he should be resigned. Finding a solid big is really hard these days and anyone who's remotely good wants a massive contract, which usually doesn't end well because unless you're an MVP level big, it's not worth it.
    Give Jakob like 75/4 and be done with it.

Long term, I'd really like Spurs to try and get Garland, he'd be a perfect fit. I don't think him and Mitc can play together and they'd eat most of Cavs' cap space. Maybe try for it in the summer if we don't get Scoot.

Right now, the most important thing is to get rid of Doug and JRich. Keeping them for the rest of the season would be really bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign Poertle to an extension soon because we can't just get Wemby by hoping. There will be time to trade Poetle in the future if necessary. He's a good player and probably would sign a reasonable new contract to play here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign Poertle to an extension soon because we can't just get Wemby by hoping. There will be time to trade Poetle in the future if necessary. He's a good player and probably would sign a reasonable new contract to play here.
    He won't sign an extension because he can get more in FA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't sign an extension because he can get more in FA.
    Good teams don't have cap space, everyone that does isn't any better than the Spurs, moving to another rebuilding team would make no sense for him.
    Trade or S&T are his only options to get himself to a contender. Or taking a big paycut, because no team that's tight on cap space would give him 20 per year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thoughts on Jak:

- no fking way you are getting two FRPs for an expiring player who is about to get 18+ a year and that request is clear posturing by PATFO
    - the time to trade him was last deadline or this summer and once again we missed the boat
    - given few teams will have >MLE money to spend this summer we can likely still get something back for him this summer via S&T; hopefully better than the sh!t sandwich we got in the DDR S&T but probably comparable
    - there is little reason to re-sign Jak at current market value. Giving him 20mm means we will have near 75mm tied up in Vassell, KJ, Tre Jones and Jak come 2024. That is a great bench mob but hardly a winning combo as your top players
    - we probably won’t land Wemby and PATFO will reduce the odds from 14% to significantly less for their own stupid moral/culture bullsh!t reason come March but trading Jak now will make it harder for PATFO to fk up the 2023 lottery/draft

a far out FRP with limited protection would be ideal even if we have to take back bad money for a year or two

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good teams don't have cap space, everyone that does isn't any better than the Spurs, moving to another rebuilding team would make no sense for him.
    Trade or S&T are his only options to get himself to a contender. Or taking a big paycut, because no team that's tight on cap space would give him 20 per year.
    Jak is about to get paid...well north of what an extension would be...that's the reality here.... now what we decide to do...trade...resign...s&t...all of that is up for debate but he's getting his money...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jak is about to get paid...well north of what an extension would be...that's the reality here.... now what we decide to do...trade...resign...s&t...all of that is up for debate but he's getting his money...
    Salary cap next season will be at 134 million. Let's assume Jakob wants 20.

Who's taking him from these teams? Second column are salaries for next season.

Utah, Minnesota, Orlando, Sacramento, Lakers are definitely not taking him.
    I doubt Presti would overpay for Jakob and bottom 5 would be a lateral move.

He might leave, but he's no getting paid if he goes to a good team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

sign and trade is always possible ala Demarr, etc

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sign and trade is always possible ala Demarr, etc
    Good point. The other is the role of Byrd Rights especially if Jakob has given spurs a list of teams he’d re-sign for now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He'll get between 18 and 20M.... Who pulls the trigger I don't know but the team that does will clear the requisite space either with us or elsewhere.. It happens every summer and this is no different..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they're mostly putting out there the message that they're not dumping Poeltl, and that if anyone expects to get him for a single lowly first + garbage, they better think again. Which is correct, IMO.
    Exactly. Probably specifically directed at the Craptors.

The only cap space team who makes sense for Poeltl is the Thunder, so the Spurs have the leverage to play hard ball with the teams we've heard bandied about.

I still think he should be resigned. Finding a solid big is really hard these days
    It's actually probably easier than ever. Only the Hornets, Mavericks, Thunder, Craptors appear to have a question mark in the middle and two (Hornets and Thunder) might have internal options.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs don't trade or extend Poeltl this season, that doesn't mean they have to lose him for nothing. They can re-sign him or sign-and-trade him in the offseason. No need to panic if the Spurs can't get their asking price by the trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs don't trade or extend Poeltl this season, that doesn't mean they have to lose him for nothing. They can re-sign him or sign-and-trade him in the offseason. No need to panic if the Spurs can't get their asking price by the trade deadline.
    Think this is the most likely scenario tbh.
    Unless they're blown away by offers, can't see them moving him at the deadline, especially with timvp's Wemby intel.

The draft lottery is likely to change the movements of many teams, Spurs included.

The player that fascinates me as far as future prognostications are concerned is Tre Jones.
    His contract ($1.782~ expiring) makes him difficult to trade outright but paired with a Josh Richardson or Doug McBuckets; I would think there would be many a team that would be interested in his services.
    Whether that is of interest to PATFO is another question entirely but they have shown the ability to move off some of their favorites in recent years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think this is the most likely scenario tbh.
    Unless they're blown away by offers, can't see them moving him at the deadline, especially with timvp's Wemby intel.

The draft lottery is likely to change the movements of many teams, Spurs included.

The player that fascinates me as far as future prognostications are concerned is Tre Jones.
    His contract ($1.782~ expiring) makes him difficult to trade outright but paired with a Josh Richardson or Doug McBuckets; I would think there would be many a team that would be interested in his services.
    Whether that is of interest to PATFO is another question entirely but they have shown the ability to move off some of their favorites in recent years.
    Like it or not we are probably going to have to pay/overpay Tre Jones. PG is an important position; even for a terrible, talentless team like ourselves. Sochan will never be a PG and Wesley is 2 yrs away from being 2 yrs away so unless we draft a solid PG or overpay a vet Tre Jones is running point for the foreseeable future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like it or not we are probably going to have to pay/overpay Tre Jones. PG is an important position; even for a terrible, talentless team like ourselves. Sochan will never be a PG and Wesley is 2 yrs away from being 2 yrs away so unless we draft a solid PG or overpay a vet Tre Jones is running point for the foreseeable future.
    This is probably correct re: Tre... I think there's a real chance that we draft one though if we don't hit the Wembanyama lottery. I also wonder about trades or reclamation projects..and since he was brought up on another thread.. so let me ask y'all how do you compare Tre to a guy like Hayes in Detroit...or any other reclamation projects out there that you think we can acquire cheap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably correct re: Tre... I think there's a real chance that we draft one though if we don't hit the Wembanyama lottery. I also wonder about trades or reclamation projects..and since he was brought up on another thread.. so let me ask y'all how do you compare Tre to a guy like Hayes in Detroit...or any other reclamation projects out there that you think we can acquire cheap?
    Personally, I’d rather just pay Tre. He earned it, our cap space is infinite these days and hopefully he can move to a full-time quality backup if we get a true starter. I’m also not against throwing Wesley into the mud the last 40 games of the season he can sustain the Pop typically reigns on points.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I’d rather just pay Tre. He earned it, our cap space is infinite these days and hopefully he can move to a full-time quality backup if we get a true starter. I’m also not against throwing Wesley into the mud the last 40 games of the season he can sustain the Pop typically reigns on points.
    I think Tre is better than Hayes and I think there's some upside to explore there as well. I don't want to get carried away with it or anything but I think he can develop more. Ultimately, for me, it comes down to what direction we want to go after the draft? Are we going to start trying to win again or tank another year?

Thread Information