My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS sports "The questions 'The Last Dance' doesn't ask about Michael Jordan's leadership." By James Herbert

..."Leadership is like ice cream," then assistant coach Jim Cleamons told me, "There are different styles, different brands, different flavors."

Kerr echoed that point on a recent podcast with The Ringer's Bill Simmons. After winning a championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003, he said, he told coach Gregg Popovich that "the difference between Michael and Tim (Duncan) is you always felt like you were playing with Tim, and there were times you were playing for Michael"

Jordan's teammates were "scared to death" of him, which was not the case for teammates of Duncan ... Kerr called the style shared by Duncan ... "equally as powerful, but just totally different ..."

Bertans is telling everyone, Pop is the Jordan of this franchise ... because he's won, he feels he can do or say anything he wants, act any way he wants, crawl in a guy's ass if he wants, and play less talented players on the floor then other players who are more talented and need the game experience because those players haven't completely gotten on his wavelength of "you are playing FOR me! I'm not here to help you be the best you, the raise your game, and we work WITH each other to achieve the championship. NO, you are here to fit my scheme, for my team, in my way!" ... and as long as Pop has the dinners and the community charity work and 5 rings and a 22 year playoff streak, who is going to tell Pop his actually stinks?? Living on his past success to justify the current failures, and not actually living what I thought was an aspect of "The Spurs Way" in that you earn what you get EVERY DAY, IN THAT DAY! The past is gone! What got it done yesterday may lead to your downfall today. That is why until players feel that this franchise is a franchise they can work and build WITH instead of FOR, there isn't going to be any success.

And after reading this article, what bothers me more than anything is that not even Tim as an assistant coach could make a dent in Pop's approach this past season. Pop needs to go ...
    This is a bunch of soft BS my god man the dude was in the military and maybe his stubborn at ude could be better but he seems loyal to his guys and I'd rather have that than a Phil Jackson type who trashes his players in books after he leaves the team. Bertans is a player on a team. So when Forbes goes to a team and puts up empty numbers and he says that Pop was great is that going to change the perception. I'd like to hear what Kawhi thinks about Pop through all the bull I heard he still likes the guy. I'd take what Kawhi has to say over a scrub like Davis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurms and their backward military mentality

holier than thou, we know better than the players at ude, it’s no wonder Kawhi left that old boys club
    You're right! We should let the players run the front office! Guys who have at least one year of college where most of there work was done for them obviously know more than people who have dedicated their professional lives to learning all the nuances of running a team. Why didn't anyone think of this before!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know it's a team when Davis Bertans has free reign to do whatever he wants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right! We should let the players run the front office! Guys who have at least one year of college where most of there work was done for them obviously know more than people who have dedicated their professional lives to learning all the nuances of running a team. Why didn't anyone think of this before!!
    Where did I say they should be running the FO?

I’m criticizing an extreme approach and you bring up another extreme approach

That’s not how it works lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did I say they should be running the FO?

I’m criticizing an extreme approach and you bring up another extreme approach

That’s not how it works lol
    How is it extreme to expect employees to act like employees. People act like expecting players to be employees is some form a slavery. I'm a teacher, I don't expect my principal to listen to what I think about how the school is run no matter how good of a teacher I am. Players are employees that are paid to play, not to make decisions about the organization.

And for the record, Davis didn't say people don't have a say. He said that people have to be sure what they're saying is correct before they say it. How is that extreme? Expecting people who want to make suggestions to think and research before they speak. Novel concept. Having that standard will help save time talking about useless things that are a waste of time. Want to be heard? Do the leg work to make sure what your saying is factual and helpful.

I'm prior service military and I don't see anything wrong with this mentality. Go to work, did your job, think before you speak and only say something if it helps. Nothing extreme there, just effective. 5 championships prove it.

And I saw you also want to credit Timmy for the championships but I have to call shenanigans. You could make a case for the first 4 but that last one (the beautiful game) was a masterful piece of coaching and having all the right pieces. Pop isn't always my favorite person, but he's right for expecting people to know what they're talking about before coming to him.

Dallas and Washington have one championship between the two of them and people here are acting like they've solved the matrix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Jordan is a bit of a self centered bull ter so lol at those quotes
    C'mon Righty

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The brainwashed apologists/casuals continue missing the point with this "what have the Wizards won?" nonsense.

This is about creating an atmosphere conducive to today's player and let's not pretend you can only win one way anyway. If that were true, such disparate personalities as Jordan and Duncan wouldn't have led dynasties.

Hey man how's your health?

Been a while since I read any of your post.

Hope you're social distancing. Stay safe from corona.
    I'm good man, thanks for asking. How's yours?

I was gone for a while, but I've been posting semi regularly the past few weeks.

I am.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The brainwashed apologists/casuals continue missing the point with this "what have the Wizards won?" nonsense.

This is about creating an atmosphere conducive to today's player and let's not pretend you can only win one way anyway. If that were true, such disparate personalities as Jordan and Duncan wouldn't have led dynasties.

I was gone for a while, but I've been posting semi regularly the past few weeks.

I am.
    I think what Pop did for 2 decades--getting talented players to buy into team ball, less touches and even bench roles, was truly amazing. But I agree with you guys that a different approach is now needed. Pop's shtick has run it's course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what Pop did for 2 decades--getting talented players to buy into team ball, less touches and even bench roles, was truly amazing. But I agree with you guys that a different approach is now needed. Pop's shtick has run it's course.
    lol.

Did you think Pop had some sort of amazing scheme in the threepeats?

2003 Tim Duncan is the greatest superstar run i have personally seen. Tony was young, manu..robinson was old.

The spurs were a start studded team soon as Manu and Tony gained experience. From 04, 07 they pretty much played with three legitimate all stars and had some ridiculous role players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am.
    It's been so so. I'm fasting because of ramadan.

The lack of sports is killing me man.

And to add to the Bolded, just because the wizards are atrocious doesn't mean they're doing everything wrong. They're obviously doing something really well with Bertans otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

I don't get why it's so hard to admit that the organization screwed up and the biggest culprit is an antiquated cultural system that relies on "cultural knoweldge" instead of actual value in the basketball court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And to add to the Bolded, just because the wizards are atrocious doesn't mean they're doing everything wrong. They're obviously doing something really well with Bertans otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

I don't get why it's so hard to admit that the organization screwed up and the biggest culprit is an antiquated cultural system that relies on "cultural knoweldge" instead of actual value in the basketball court.
    So once again I'll ask this. Once Forbes goes to a team and he gets points but then he comes out and says the Pop is the greatest ill that make that true as well. I wouldn't mind moving on from Pop but dudes hate the dude because he's an alpha I just don't understand it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is probably getting a 4 year deal with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is probably getting a 4 year deal with the Spurs.
    as long as pop is calling the shots sure

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Soccer is back this weekend in Germany and then EPL and la liga in June. I think it’s too early but at least they’ll be back.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soccer is back this weekend in Germany and then EPL and la liga in June. I think it’s too early but at least they’ll be back.
    I'm from Germany, and I have my doubts about the Bundesliga returning. 2nd tier club Dynamo Dresden has two cases, their whole team is quarantined now. So they can't play for at least two weeks and their games have to be postponed. Also, many clubs struggle with the hygiene concept the DFL (league association) established. A Hertha BSC Berlin defender livestreamed from the club's locker room, unveiling how massively any rules are getting ignored by the players. Just imagine a team full of Rudy Goberts. I feel like this might work for a week or two, but if there are cases in different teams (and if those do get reported at all), we're all at square one again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Another difference is San Antonio they were in the playoffs, well before I got there, 18 years in a row. Wizards been in and out. I think the difference might have been that mentality going into training camp," he said. "In San Antonio, we're not talking about going to the playoffs. We're talking about winning a championship on day one. The whole preparation is for winning a championship. And that's the mentality they've had for a long time."

but but democracy..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're talking about winning a championship on day one. The whole preparation is for winning a championship. And that's the mentality they've had for a long time."

Too bad they don't seem to have that mentality anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pick a line there mate. What Bertrans is saying the mentality is the same

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And look where this “democracy” has gotten them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve yet to work for a company or organization that was a “democracy”. Did I weigh in? Sure. Did I feel my voice was heard, absolutely. But come on, you have to look at what the Wizards are and have been doing over the past decade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol.

Did you think Pop had some sort of amazing scheme in the threepeats?

2003 Tim Duncan is the greatest superstar run i have personally seen. Tony was young, manu..robinson was old.

The spurs were a start studded team soon as Manu and Tony gained experience. From 04, 07 they pretty much played with three legitimate all stars and had some ridiculous role players.
    Don't all sports dynasties have star players and "ridiculous role players"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee I wonder why? I sure don't recall you complaining this much during the championship years.

Thread Information