Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're the TMZ of ST boutons_deux and that's not a compliment whatsoever. You suck!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Arlington City Council approves permit to drill 3 new gas wells near daycare center

Several Arlington council members said

they feared litigation if they voted to deny the permit.

... even as physicians and environmental activists warned that

the project could have dire consequences on public health.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021...ay-care-center

BigOil does't GAF about public health, or even kids' health.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adolescent females face multiple barriers to drug treatment in Texas

only a small number of women in the state receive residential drug treatment as teenagers.

Over 70% of beds available to adolescents for residential drug treatment in Texas are designated for males.

Male juveniles in the state have more than double the options for treatment facilities a female the same age can access.

“It isolates the females that want recovery. They don’t have as many people to call. Their network is automatically smaller than the males’ network,”

There are only two all-female adolescent RTCs verses about 13 dedicated to the treatment of adolescent males.

Unlike boys who can get inpatient treatment in Austin, girls struggling with addiction have to drive nearly three hours to Houston, for any kind of inpatient treatment.

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/...tment-in-texas

A Christian state run by a Catholic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Says Its Uncons utional Content Moderation Law Should Still Go Into Effect While We Wait For Appeal;

Judge: 'No, That's Not How This Works'

Last week, the district court Judge Robert Pitman wrote an excellent ruling

tossing out Texas' silly content moderation law as clearly uncons utional under the 1st Amendment.

As was widely expected, Texas has appealed the ruling to

the 5th Circuit (undeniably, the wackiest of the Circuits, so who knows what may happen).

However, in the meantime, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton

also asked the lower court to have the law go into effect while waiting for the appeals court to rule!

A stay is also supported by the widely recognized principle that enjoining a state law inflicts irreparable harm on the state, and that the public’s interest is aligned with the state’s interest and harm.

Plaintiffs, in contrast, will not be irreparably harmed if a stay is granted.

This is evidenced by the fact that

(1) their supportive members stated they either already comply with aspects of the law or could not explain how the law would be burdensome in practice; and

(2) Plaintiffs’ other members, filing as amici in opposition to the Preliminary Injunction,

have demonstrated no harm will occur by enforcement of H.B. 20.

For all these reasons, as further set forth below, a temporary stay while the Fifth Circuit considers the merits of this Court’s Preliminary Injunction is warranted.

It is really incredible:
    The Attorney General has also raised questions never considered by the Fifth Circuit or the Supreme Court as to common carriage and the First Amendment.

Correspondingly, the

Attorney General has demonstrated a likelihood of success on the merits regarding Plaintiffs’ claims.

While this Court may have rejected the Attorney General’s arguments,

it did so by relying on readily distinguishable First Amendment case law and giving dispositive weight to a novel “fact”:

whether the en y “screen[s] and sometimes moderate[s] or curate[s]” user generated content.

Therefore, given the novel nature of Plaintiffs’ claims and the substantial support for the Attorney General’s arguments,

the Court of Appeals should have an opportunity to consider these issues before the injunction is implemented.

Basically,

"even though we lost easily,

we really made the better arguments,

so therefore you should let the law go into effect."

It's nonsense.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...how-this.shtml

Note that the TX ATTORNEY General is not an attorney
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-11-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gov. Greg Abbott, GOP leaders allocate $4 million to fund county-level election audits

A new state law requires the secretary of state's office to audit results in four randomly selected counties every two years.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/11...ection-audits/

Anybody think audits will be inflicted on counties won by Repugs?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    North East ISD’s removal of library books may be uncons utional

The removal of 414 library books by North East Independent School District officials to review for “vulgar or obscene” content

“flies in the face” of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that said books cannot be removed from school libraries on political grounds,

Ken Paulson, director of the Free Speech Center at Middle Tennessee State University, said

NEISD’s removal of books from library shelves before they have been reviewed could be uncons utional.

In 1982, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Board of Education, Island Trees Union Free School District v. Pico that school boards and administrators have the right to remove books from school libraries

if they have “legitimate concerns about vulgarity and inappropriate content that will potentially harm growing minds.”

“The Pico case very clearly says that school districts cannot remove books for political reasons.

They cannot remove books to suppress ideas,” he said.

“Removing books from a public library even for an interim period flies in the face of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Pico.

The heart of that case was the fact that there had been no fact-finding about the merits of books being banned.

A school district has an affirmative obligation to do a genuine review and not pre-judge the merits of the books by taking them off the shelf.”

https://sanantonioreport.org/north-e...cons utional

As always, Repugs operate in " the Cons ution, science, everything but us"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forensic hypnosis in Texas prompts questions about death row case

When police have an eyewitness to a crime but that witness is fuzzy on the details, what can they do?

In Texas, police can turn to hypnotizing that witness.

It’s called “forensic hypnosis”

— and it’s controversial, even called “junk science” by some.

Still, testimony obtained via hypnosis is allowed in Texas courtrooms,

and has even been used to send people to death row.

https://www.tpr.org/criminal-justice...death-row-case

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Prison gerrymandering:’

How inmates are helping the Texas GOP maintain its power

On paper, the Tennessee Colony area looks like a small but growing East Texas community of 16,000 residents.

But in reality, it’s not much more than a country road intersection anchored by a feed store, a church and a shuttered post office.

Locals say the biggest draws are Taco Tuesdays at the gas station and the monthly meeting at the Masonic lodge.

Only about 2,000 people actually live in this part of rural Anderson County.

The other 13,344 are prisoners here.

Nearly a quarter of a million people were incarcerated in Texas when the Census was taken last year.

When lawmakers redrew the state’s voting maps this fall, these

inmates were counted in the prison towns where they were locked up, rather than where they lived beforehand.

-- email Dallas Morning News

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas man charged for pipe attack on cyclist

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...ack-on-cyclist

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas AG Paxton’s $2.2M voter fraud unit closed three cases in 2021.

GOP lawmakers still boosted its budget.

most reliable ... in spreading the myth of widespread voter fraud, particularly in the 2020 election, and frequently boasts that few states are as vigilant.
    His office’s election integrity unit added two lawyers to the team in the last year, bringing it up to six staffers total, and

worked more than 20,000 hours between October 2020 and September 2021.

Its budget, meanwhile, ratcheted up from $1.9 million to $2.2 million during that time.

the unit closed just three cases this year, down from 17 last year, and opened seven new ones.

That includes the newly created unit focused on the 2021 local elections, which has yet to file a single case.

“This is an exorbitant amount of money that has resulted in no benefit for the average Texan,”

“Taxpayers are funding a political stunt meant to fuel the false claim of a stolen election and justify voting restrictions.”

Paxton’s office has not uncovered any evidence of voter fraud in 2020 beyond isolated incidents affecting a handful of votes in an election in which more than 11 million Texans cast ballots.

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...d-16708051.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Chapter 313 monster — the mother of all corporate welfare — revives?

proposed rule changes by the Texas comptroller’s office, which they claim will harm transparency and allow the monster — Chapter 313 tax breaks — to rise from the dead.

So what are critics worried about?

The fiendish Chapter 313 is a tad complicated, but let’s review the basics.

A private company (often an energy company, but not always) wants to build a new facility in Texas.

It makes a threat (usually fake, according to a Hearst investigation and academic studies) that it might build the thing in some other state and says

it needs a break on school property taxes to invest in Texas

I say fake because in 85 percent of cases, the companies would have built their operations in Texas without the incentive,

according to a report by University of Texas at Austin professor Nathan Jensen, a longtime critic of the Chapter 313 program.

So it’s a pure giveaway to encourage a company to do the thing it would have done anyway. And you’re paying for it.

Here’s how you’re paying:

A local school board approves a 10-year property tax break to build the thing in Texas.

For big companies, this can be worth tens of millions of dollars.

A database maintained by the comptroller lets you see how much and for how long companies get this incentive.

The Texas comptroller’s office has approved 97.5 percent of these deals. In other words, it has not been a real check on Chapter 313.

Part of the program’s evil genius is that the state wholly reimburses the local school district for its 10 years of forgone tax revenue,

so school districts almost never say no.

And when I say “the state” provides reimbursement, I mean that ultimately you, dear taxpayer,

reimburse the company for building the thing it was already going to build in the first place.

This became such a successful corporate welfare game that by March 2021, there were more than 500 active Chapter 313 agreements and

the cost of the program exceeded $10 billion in state funds.

https://www.expressnews.com/business...3-16716770.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well,it's a slave state

Two Texas teens dressed as Klansman tased their Black classmate—now they face hate crime charges

Woodsboro, Texas—Rance Bolcik, 17, who is white, and Noel Garcia Jr.,17, who is Latino—dressed in Klan outfits and

targeted one of their football teammates, who is Black.

Also, a white unnamed 16-year-old Karen recorded a video of the attack on her cellphone.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2070674

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top Texas paper rakes AG Ken Paxton over the coals for acting as Trump's 'shameless toady'

In an editorial in the Houston Chronicle...

https://www.rawstory.com/ken-paxton-2656166155/

"shameless Trash toady" is good politics in hole Texas

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Top Texas paper rakes AG Ken Paxton over the coals for acting as Trump's 'shameless toady'

In an editorial in the Houston Chronicle...

https://www.rawstory.com/ken-paxton-2656166155/

"shameless Trash toady" is good politics in hole Texas
    All because of this...

Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well,it's a slave state

Two Texas teens dressed as Klansman tased their Black classmate—now they face hate crime charges

Woodsboro, Texas—Rance Bolcik, 17, who is white, and Noel Garcia Jr.,17, who is Latino—dressed in Klan outfits and

targeted one of their football teammates, who is Black.

Also, a white unnamed 16-year-old Karen recorded a video of the attack on her cellphone.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2070674
    Whites and hispanics are becoming bothers in arms. Trump made big gains with the hispanic community. If democrats lose the majority of hispanic voters...its game over.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New data helps explain Trump’s gains among Latino voters in 2020

Democrats can’t afford to take Latino voters for granted.
    By Nicole Narea@nicolenarea May 19, 2021, 1:30pm EDT

Share this story

Supporters of President Donald Trump attend an “anticommunist caravan” organized by Cuban Americans in Miami in October. Gaston de Cardenas/AFP via Getty ImagesConventional wisdom long dictated that if Latino voters show up to vote, they will overwhelmingly support Democrats. But a recent report with more details on the 2020 election results suggests the reality is more complicated.
    It was clear after the election that Trump had made gains among Latino voters in places like Florida’s Miami-Dade County and Texas’s Rio Grande Valley. The newest and most detailed data yet shows that the trend was nationwide. According to a recent report by the Democratic data firm Catalist, the number of Latinos who cast votes increased by 31 percent from 2016 to 2020, accounting for a 10th of the electorate. A comfortable majority of Latinos — an estimated 61 percent — supported President Joe Biden, but there was about an 8 percentage-point swing toward Trump, based on data on votes cast for either the Democratic or Republican nominees in 2016 and 2020.
    The data shows that many Latino voters, who represent the fastest-growing share of the electorate, are not firmly part of the Democratic base. Instead, they seem to be persuadable voters, presenting a potential opportunity for both Democrats and Republicans. This is especially true for voters who aren’t hyperpartisan: new and infrequent voters, as well as people who flipped their votes in 2020 or who decided to sit the election out entirely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cubans
    “Trump 2020”
    Losers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas’ new election law challenged over provision making it a crime to encourage voting by mail

Election officials are asking a judge to block the provision before the March 1 primary.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...voting-by-mail

After Jan 2025, Repugs to pass some laws:

all mail-in or on-line voting illegal, heavy fines

all abortions, surgical and drug, illegal, this time women to prison

all contraception (embryo murder), illegal

importing abortion drugs illegal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Texas Supreme Court case, state argues that Dallas-Houston bullet train developer can’t use eminent domain

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...t-16732128.php

but hole Texas supports, enforces BigOil using "eminent domain" for pipelines.

who would bribe Repugs bags?

BigOil, keep people in cars burning gas

BigAirline, keep people in planes, also burning gas

BigAuto, keep people in cars

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas AG Ken Paxton dealt another 'election fraud' blow as judge dismisses 'politically motivated' case

For the second time this month,

Texas Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton has suffered a major setback in a criminal case in which he alleged "election fraud."

accused Medina County Justice of the Peace Tomas “Tommy” Ramirez of running a vote-harvesting operation out of assisted living centers during the 2018 Republican primary.

Ramirez says the allegations led to threats and harassment against him, and

he accused Paxton of pushing for an indictment just to get headlines and rile up his base,

a judge dismissed all charges against Ramirez.

“This case was politically motivated and was totally unjustified,” Ramirez said.

“My family and I have received anonymous hate mail and ugly social media attacks.

My law office was vandalized and

I was even asked by the State Bar of Texas if I wanted to voluntarily surrender my law license.”

Paxton conducted a year-long investigation and continued to press for charges even after

one of the AG's investigators found there was no probable cause to pursue the case.

"followed a ruling by a separate court
    that struck down a law allowing the state attorney general to unilaterally prosecute election law cases,"

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-2656178238

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boo, I realize you get free rent in your Mom's singlewide, but other than that...Why do you live in Texas if you hate it so much?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas National Guard struggles to pay soldiers, while slashing tuition help by more than half

Abbott mobilizes thousands of Texas National Guard troops to assist with his border initiative known as Operation Lone Star,

the state has struggled to pay soldiers on time while slashing their tuition assistance benefits,

raising concerns about morale in the 19,000-member force.

more than 50 percent cut in the Military Department’s two-year tuition assistance budget, from $3 million to $1.4 million.

The change — suggested by military officials to meet a 5 percent budget cut imposed on most state agencies
    by Abbott and other state leaders

reduces the number of soldiers who will receive tuition benefits and the amount paid out to those who will still receive aid.

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...l-16752797.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "1984" bag TX Repugs rule that

Pravda"history" is what we, bad faith indoctrinators of youth, say it is.

Any other history is ing illegal

A Texas charter school had to remove an anti-racist quote from its website before it could open

After lawmakers passed a law about how racism was to be taught in Texas schools, Essence Preparatory in San Antonio was sent back to the drawing board.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01...harter-school/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thinks this is what plays well with his racist/xenophobic district

House GOP candidate calls for Texas-wide ban on Chinese students

https://news.yahoo.com/house-gop-can...215403844.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas lags behind as states increase minimum wage
    Measures to raise the state minimum wage went nowhere in the last legislative session.

• Texas is one of 20 states not to raise its minimum wage above the federal one.

https://www.axios.com/local/austin/2...e-minimum-wage

Confederacy/red state Repugs screwing their voters who still vote Repug

Thread Information