Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White being traded should put everyone on notice……compe ion is here to stay!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that ain't an issue. Satoransky and Dragic will be gone, that opens up 2 roster spots. KBD could be gone, the same with Walker. Spurs could package 1 or 2 picks to move up and only draft 1 or 2 players which is likely. 2nd round pick gets a 2-way contract. Richardson could be waived or traded on draft night. And the free agent class is garbage, I assume the Spurs will only sign 1 or 2 new players.
    4 incoming draft picks and 35 mm in cap should equate to at least 6 players if we don’t consolidate. It’s going to be an issue again.

Drago and Sato are absolutely gone and hopefully guys like Walker, KBD replaced but this is going to be a potential issue.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 incoming draft picks and 35 mm in cap should equate to at least 6 players if we don’t consolidate. It’s going to be an issue again.

Drago and Sato are absolutely gone and hopefully guys like Walker, KBD replaced but this is going to be a potential issue.
    I don’t see it as an issue. Especially since we don’t need to sign anyone unless it’s a big free agent. If so, it can be a sign and trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it's gon be 2 draft picks not 4. I don't know what's so hard to understand there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's gon be 2 draft picks not 4. I don't know what's so hard to understand there
    Brian Wright called you and said they were going to consolidate picks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see it as an issue. Especially since we don’t need to sign anyone unless it’s a big free agent. If so, it can be a sign and trade.
    I think there is a chance it will be an issue. I love what we did at the trade deadline but I hope they have a plan for all this moderate talent we are going to have. It’ll be a shame to have to cut guys like Langford, Weiskamp, Tre Jones simply because we don’t have the roster space. Great that they went up against compe ion but also silly that we are having such compe ion for the bottom half of our roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Boston writer made a lot of good point I agree with concerning the trade. He did understate how well Derrick plays though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be overly joyed if we got Tomas, Josh, and Romeo simply to accrue future assets.
    Tomas will be gone mid April. No assets for him. No one wants him on a buyout, so we can’t even save money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum of 3 draft picks: our first, the LAL second, and Boston’s first. No one here thinks we can get a top 4, so no one should think Boston can, either, so we’ll get their pick. The odds on Torontos pick are like 85%, so almost certainly 3 picks and probably 4 picks, assuming no consolidation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many trade-ups do you remember seeing with multiple firsts in the same draft? Why would another team value the multiple Spurs picks over their own higher pick, especially considering that the in the case the Spurs themselves wouldn't?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we all would agree it’s situational but in this instance I’d agree with Exstatic. I would almost bet the farm Romeo was specifically requested for a reason greater than a projected salary dump.
    Well for BOS he is salary dump it was either him , Schroeder or Neismith that has to go out in order for them to get under the tax at the time of the trade. No chance BOS wants to go into the luxury tax this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum of 3 draft picks: our first, the LAL second, and Boston’s first. No one here thinks we can get a top 4, so no one should think Boston can, either, so we’ll get their pick. The odds on Torontos pick are like 85%, so almost certainly 3 picks and probably 4 picks, assuming no consolidation.
    whoever gets signed with the Lakers 2nd will get a 2-way contract, so he won't count against the 15-man roster

How many trade-ups do you remember seeing with multiple firsts in the same draft? Why would another team value the multiple Spurs picks over their own higher pick, especially considering that the in the case the Spurs themselves wouldn't?
    they could just package both the Toronto and Boston pick to trade up. Given that the picks outside of the top 4 are pretty even, that's a realistic scenario. I also don't think there's a high chance for the Spurs to get into the top 4 if their own pick is outside of that range, but they most certainly won't draft 3 players in the first round. Even if they do, the 2nd rounder still gets a 2-way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    International not an option? Though not a fan favorite, it could be they go international and let them mature for a couple years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    International not an option? Though not a fan favorite, it could be they go international and let them mature for a couple years.
    I could be on board with that👍🏾

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is needless guarantees and useless contracts. If we don’t consolidate this summer we are going to be forced to make premature and hard decisions around Tre, Langford other guys who are developing and probably have something to offer.

3FRPs and 35mm in cap space and a an already full roster doesn't make much sense.
    Neither KBD or Landale have any future guarantees (Landale is an RFA that Deeks for some reason added a year onto). If you blame this year's KBD contract on why Samanic was cut, then you're going to be disappointed for a few years. A lot of players are going to get cut or otherwise dumped. They don't have the spots to hold or develop all of the contracts they're going to be responsible for. They're going to have to make choices and cut players who end up sticking in the league somewhere else. That's one of the main ways teams end up with cast-off steals like Green and Covington. It's going to be part of doing business. Hopefully, though, they'll be able to get rid of almost all of the chaff along with the bits of wheat they miss out on. Guys like Samanic SHOULDN'T stick on a team that has a ton of prospects who've already shown they can play at an acceptable level. There are too many other prospects waiting in the wings to worry about them.

Also, I think it's disrespectful to lament KBD and Landale interfering with "prospects", when both of them are still within the prospect range. Jock is adjusting to the league still. Physically, he's fine, so once his catches up, I expect him to stick. Bates-Diop is in this fourth year in the league. He was drafted the season before Samanic. He was drafted the season AFTER Zach Collins, who for some reason can also still be considered a prospect worth keeping. I understand the belief that KBD is much closer to his ceiling than are the other guys. But the mistake that often comes from that thought is that that means Collins/Samanic will probably grow into being better players. I'm doubtful, because right now, they're nowhere near as good as him. Even if they improve quite a bit, for what KBD is supposed to contribute to a winning team, he just needs to hone one skill. I like the odds of KBD becoming a strong shooter over those than the other players hit all of their targets.

Finally, the team is going to need to keep role-players on their team to continue to give their rotations structure. If Richardson does have a partial guarantee on his contract, he probably shouldn't but cut unless the team needs cap space for a big move. While he does compete with some young players for minutes, he does so by being a passable veteran who's an actual target for young players to reach rather than a guy like Forbes who was already worse than them but continued to get minutes over them anyway. KBD is similar. Do I think if the Spurs draft someone like Eason in the lottery that he should play over KBD (and other players)? Yes. Would I lament some forward picked at 45 being in Austin instead of taking KBD's spot? No. We don't know where the Spurs' trajectory is going to take them next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pop isn't content for the team to have another hard rebuilding year. If so, then the team will need floor-establishing players in addition to their prospects.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol @ trolls complaining we have too many draft picks now because of a bunch of expirings and non guaranteed roster spots. Get a grip, we are by far in the best position we have been in since the Uncle Dennis era.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Hollinger mentioned this is the worst international class in 2 decades so probably not. Best guess they trade 1 or 2 for future picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whoever gets signed with the Lakers 2nd will get a 2-way contract, so he won't count against the 15-man roster

they could just package both the Toronto and Boston pick to trade up. Given that the picks outside of the top 4 are pretty even, that's a realistic scenario. I also don't think there's a high chance for the Spurs to get into the top 4 if their own pick is outside of that range, but they most certainly won't draft 3 players in the first round. Even if they do, the 2nd rounder still gets a 2-way
    We don't know if Ca or Wieskamp will get those two-ways or even get regular roster spots. I wouldn't rely on using the two-way slots to solve the roster issue.

I understand why you could say the Spurs could just trade up. It's intuitive, but the data we've seen for multiple drafts suggests that teams with multiple first-rounders don't get to package them to move up in the same draft very often.

In the last five years, I've seen two examples:

2019 -- ATL traded 8, 17, 35 and a future first to NOP for 4
    2017 -- POR traded 15 and 20 to SAC for the rights to 10

I was going to stop there, but seeing SAC in a trade reminded me of the trade the year before:

2016 -- PHX traded 13, 28, future second and Bodganovic's rights to SAC for 8

The Collins trade in 2017 is probably your best comp, given that it was the only straight trade-up that didn't involve future picks. Maybe it could be worth it, but this trade, and indeed all of these trades combined -- aren't the usual results. You should look up those drafts on Wikipedia to see what teams with multiple firsts usually did. Most of them either took all the players and dealt with the roster glut we've been talking about, or they just took salvage value for the picks. It's not the worst thing if that happens and they get a good deal, but I would at least assume they'll make the picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, RGM just dropped the full details on the trade. It's actually more complicated (and better for the Spurs) than we thought:

2022 first round draft pick from Boston
    Boston's 1st round pick to San Antonio protected for selections 1-4 in 2022 and 1-4 in 2023; if Boston has not conveyed a 1st round pick to San Antonio by 2023, then Boston will instead convey (i) Portland's 2023 2nd round pick and (ii) Houston's 2023 2nd round pick, Dallas' 2023 2nd round pick or Miami's 2023 2nd round pick (see Boston Incoming) to San Antonio [Boston-San Antonio, 2/10/2022]

2028 first round draft pick from Boston
    San Antonio has the right to swap its 2028 1st round pick for Boston's 2028 1st round pick protected for selection 1; if this pick falls on its protected selection and is therefore not conveyable, then Boston will instead convey its 2028 2nd round pick to San Antonio protected for selections 46-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to San Antonio will be extinguished) [Boston-San Antonio, 2/10/2022]

And then the details on that 2023 second --

2023 second round draft pick from Houston, Dallas or MiamiOklahoma City will receive the more favorable of Dallas' 2023 2nd round pick and Miami's 2023 2nd round pick (Oklahoma City may convey this pick to New York (see Oklahoma City Outgoing)); Boston will receive the more favorable of (i) Houston's 2023 2nd round pick protected for selections 31-32 and (ii) the less favorable of the Dallas pick and the Miami pick and Indiana will receive the least favorable of the three (via Miami to Dallas; via Memphis' right to swap Dallas or Miami for Houston); if the Houston pick falls within its protected range, then Houston's obligation to Boston will be extinguished and Boston will instead receive the less favorable of the Dallas pick and the Miami pick and Indiana will instead receive the Houston pick [Dallas-Miami, 7/7/2017; Dallas-Memphis, 7/8/2019; Houston-Memphis, 2/6/2020; Boston-Memphis-Portland, 11/20/2020; Dallas-Detroit-Oklahoma City, 11/27/2020; Brooklyn-Cleveland-Houston-Indiana, 1/16/2021]; Boston may convey this pick to San Antonio (see Boston Outgoing)

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
    timvp, since you always seem interested in this

So even if Boston finds a way not to convey a first, they'll give the Spurs what are likely to be two high seconds, and if they somehow win the lotto in 2028 and not convey the swap, they'll give the Spurs another high second. Would three high seconds, Langford and Richardson be enough for White? No. But it's a decent floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't it 3 seconds for the first one. It's portlands , houstons and the least favorable of Dallas and Miami pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t OKC flip a FRP to Houston last year that they used on Sengün?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't know if Ca or Wieskamp will get those two-ways or even get regular roster spots. I wouldn't rely on using the two-way slots to solve the roster issue.

I understand why you could say the Spurs could just trade up. It's intuitive, but the data we've seen for multiple drafts suggests that teams with multiple first-rounders don't get to package them to move up in the same draft very often.

In the last five years, I've seen two examples:

2019 -- ATL traded 8, 17, 35 and a future first to NOP for 4
    2017 -- POR traded 15 and 20 to SAC for the rights to 10

I was going to stop there, but seeing SAC in a trade reminded me of the trade the year before:

2016 -- PHX traded 13, 28, future second and Bodganovic's rights to SAC for 8

The Collins trade in 2017 is probably your best comp, given that it was the only straight trade-up that didn't involve future picks. Maybe it could be worth it, but this trade, and indeed all of these trades combined -- aren't the usual results. You should look up those drafts on Wikipedia to see what teams with multiple firsts usually did. Most of them either took all the players and dealt with the roster glut we've been talking about, or they just took salvage value for the picks. It's not the worst thing if that happens and they get a good deal, but I would at least assume they'll make the picks.
    I mean given the Spurs track record in the draft I wouldn't even be mad if they draft 3 players. Do you see a way for them to somehow sneak into the top 4-5 though? I mean the drop off in talent is huge, but then again there are a lot of stupid FO's picking at the top (Magic, Pistons, Rockets) and the Spurs also got the 2025 Bulls pick plus cap space to take on some bad contracts. I still hope they land at least in the top 7 range and then have some lottery luck, but a top 4 pick would be a game changer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't it 3 seconds for the first one. It's portlands , houstons and the least favorable of Dallas and Miami pick.
    No. It's Portland's pick and then the pick 2023 pick in that second blurb, which is basically the more favorable of the Houston pick OR the less favorable of the Dallas and Miami's picks.

Basically, OKC will initially get the best of Dallas or Miami's pick, and then the Spurs get the best of the remaining pick and Houston's pick. In addition to that pick, they'll also get Portland's pick.

To put it a third way, Of the Houston, Dallas, and Miami picks: OKC will get one, the Spurs would get one and Boston would get one. Then completely separate from sorting all of that out, the Spurs would also get Portland's pick.

Of course, the far, far more likely scenario is Boston just conveying a first to the Spurs and not having the first-overall pick in 2028. None of those details changed the likely results, just limited the downsides.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean given the Spurs track record in the draft I wouldn't even be mad if they draft 3 players. Do you see a way for them to somehow sneak into the top 4-5 though? I mean the drop off in talent is huge, but then again there are a lot of stupid FO's picking at the top (Magic, Pistons, Rockets) and the Spurs also got the 2025 Bulls pick plus cap space to take on some bad contracts. I still hope they land at least in the top 7 range and then have some lottery luck, but a top 4 pick would be a game changer
    They still have a decent chance to get into the the top four given the newer lottery odds. I don't know that they have a good chance to trade up, given that those three teams you've mentioned have all had multiple first-rounders in recent drafts. Houston, for example, used four first-rounders last year. I would assume they'd prioritize high-end talent rather than multiple roster-filling picks. Of course, they can always read the board dramatically different than SA and trade down if the Spurs are willing to pay, but I would imagine that would be more likely if a team further down like NOP or SAC jump up into the top-four and want more win-now talent. It's possible that someone like NOP might've valued White and/or Johnson enough to drop down into the lower half of the lottery. With Derrick gone, that scenario is less likely, but the team does still have guys like Poeltl who might help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t OKC flip a FRP to Houston last year that they used on Sengün?
    They did. They traded it for two heavily protected firsts -- Detroit's pick that's at least moderately protected until 2027 and Washington's pick with similar protections. I don't know if I'd consider the Spurs making a similar trade with their second first a win. OKC could end up getting two okay firsts in a great draft long after they become too good to earn those picks naturally. Or they could have traded the 16th-overall pick for two distant second-rounders. I don't mind the Spurs having even more future pick they can use on trades, but I have no interest in SA becoming another OKC where getting picks for the sake of it seems to be their strategy. I would be highly disappointed if they don't come out of the with two good prospects.

Thread Information