Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a word about Iran and the Houthi rebels...

In this case, it takes two to tango to kill this many people.
    so whats the threshold, how many people have to die in order for the other side's actions to justify your crimes?

you're very good at seeing other people's faults but fail to see your own.

A 2014 study of drone strike casualties in Pakistan and Yemen by Reprieve also found that as many as 1,147 people may have been killed during attempts to assassinate just 41 men.
    and RG wants to talk about precision weapons

have we really won ANY war since WWII?

- Korean war was a tie
    - Vietnam was an asskicking for us
    - Afghanistan is the longest war and probably biggest failure. we are negotiating withdrawal with Taliban
    - Iraq overall was a failure, they want us out and we turned Iraq into friends with Iran our enemy
    - Libya was a complete mess, our ambassador got killed and created ISIS
    - We lost in Syria badly
    - Yemen was an utter failure at the hands of sandal wearing Houthis

the USA is a powerful nation but terrible at the art of war. Now India, China, Russia and maybe even Iran have missiles that have turned our most powerful weapon, the aircraft carriers into floating coffins

what should we be proud of? Panama? Granada?
    the us doesnt win wars because that would be bad business for them, need to maintain that ROI, its like hollywood cheaper to do remakes than to invent new stories...

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so whats the threshold, how many people have to die in order for the other side's actions to justify your crimes?

Where did I say the US has no fault in this.
    I said it takes TWO, as in two sides, to cause like this to happen and that is what has happened.
    If you have read this thread you would think only the US was at fault in this whole thing by the articles, and that is not true.
    Iran has played a significant role in causing this problem to stay relevant and is also responsible for the deaths of many people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the us doesnt win wars because that would be bad business for them, need to maintain that ROI, its like hollywood cheaper to do remakes than to invent new stories...
    He got you there, pee pee.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Don diego, fuego!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said it takes TWO, as in two sides, to cause like this to happen and that is what has happened.
    If you have read this thread you would think only the US was at fault in this whole thing by the articles, and that is not true.
    Iran has played a significant role in causing this problem to stay relevant and is also responsible for the deaths of many people.
    "both sides", eh pee pee?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got you there, pee pee.
    Got me...
    Like a child "he got me."

Iran funded and gave weapons to Houthi rebels who killed many, many people in Yemen.
    To ask me when its enough is absolutely ludicrous. Like Im supposed to know when both sides want to stop aiding in civilian slaughters.

All I ask is for people to be straight about who and what is involved. This is largely a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. We, have aided Saudi Arabia for reasons that seem ridiculous, especially know. Our relations with Saudi Arabia have been a huge stain on the country.
    Thread will be happy to know that the Donald was all in with Saudi Arabia and all about war with Iran so he is the one Diego should be approaching about people dying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "both sides", eh pee pee?
    call me pea, pea please...
    If we are going juvenile lets do this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don diego, fuego!!!
    Thread you dont even know what your God Trump thinks about this.
    He would have your head for this treachery against his Saudi Arabia.
    Good lord, at least figure out which side you need to be on if you are all about Trump.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Thread you dont even know what your God Trump thinks about this.
    He would have your head for this treachery against his Saudi Arabia.
    Good lord, at least figure out which side you need to be on if you are all about Trump.
    True, I don't like to get into the weeds, the deep ones, you know, so, just grant me some room, tights. Savvy, peeg?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more than two sides, almost always; fair enough though i thought you werent even including the US as a relevant actor. for the record i never said iran and the houthis were beacons of light either.

i think my point stands though, i think the west assumes a moral superiority and superior ethics in these matters, that doesnt apply neither practically nor logically. Super power, empire, basically precludes civilian deaths, and i dont think your innocent/target shooting % or type of government attenuate the fact that innocent children die in these wars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more than two sides, almost always; fair enough though i thought you werent even including the US as a relevant actor. for the record i never said iran and the houthis were beacons of light either.

i think my point stands though, i think the west assumes a moral superiority and superior ethics in these matters, that doesnt apply neither practically nor logically. Super power, empire, basically precludes civilian deaths, and i dont think your innocent/target shooting % or type of government attenuate the fact that innocent children die in these wars.
    I think you are absolutely correct.
    The US has had numerous outings in Central and South America under the guise of bringing democracy and all we really wanted was an in for some big fruit company or some other big corporation. But we know this because we can read this, from US sources. We tell on ourselves. We air our dirty laundry. We know we are in many cases hypocrites that should should strive to do better.

On the other side of the coin we also have US efforts that go forgotten that are pretty damn noble. The work in Northern Ireland by Clinton who handed it over to George Mitc that basically was an effort for people to stop blowing each other up. That simple. We were far removed from it (although some Irish in the US contributed $ to the IRA) George Mitc 's role in this was heroic. He was sick of people blowing each other up. He was as determined in peace as the IRA and the Unionist loyalist were in trying to kill each other.
    And in Iraq, which we made a mess of, we bombed the out of ISIS to save 30,000 Yazidi people from being slaughtered. Their religion is far from anything most Americans would join, the mission took some risk and $, but we saved 30,000 people from certain death. People we have zero in common with except that we knew they would get slaughtered if we did not bomb ISIS in that area and send in heavy relief of food and supplies. We saved them. Ultimately from a beast we might have created.
    There are more, but you will not hear about these because that would paint a diverse picture of US military action. Also an interesting read is the US helping stop the slaughter of MUSLIMS, yes MUSlIMS, in Bosnia-Herz... by the Serbs. Many of them came to this country and became productive citizens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got me...
    Like a child "he got me."

Iran funded and gave weapons to Houthi rebels who killed many, many people in Yemen.
    To ask me when its enough is absolutely ludicrous. Like Im supposed to know when both sides want to stop aiding in civilian slaughters.

All I ask is for people to be straight about who and what is involved. This is largely a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. We, have aided Saudi Arabia for reasons that seem ridiculous, especially know. Our relations with Saudi Arabia have been a huge stain on the country.
    Thread will be happy to know that the Donald was all in with Saudi Arabia and all about war with Iran so he is the one Diego should be approaching about people dying.
    The US funded and gave weapons to plenty including OBL, who killed over 3000 Americans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They also pick their faves and support them, they make one side evil and the other good, knowing little about either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nobody is a saint. However, losing wars has consequences. When Russia bent the knee in the 90s at the end of the Cold War, it wasn't just that they had to cower back home. They also benefited greatly from foreign investments and they were well aware that NATO won.

Putler can keep throwing as many bombs as he wants, and keep deluding himself about bringing Russia back to the Soviet days. He won't. His country's economy is smaller than a few US states, and there's better odds of him getting offed by his own intelligence services.

This is all his own doing as well, he cornered himself with yes men, and now he's in too deep to back out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a word about Iran and the Houthi rebels...

In this case, it takes two to tango to kill this many people.
    This is a civil war and a proxy war; I would count Iran's role as akin to the US's, strategically and morally. The US and the KSA are responsible for far more deaths for enforcing a blockade and by raining bombs on the people, I don't see how you get around that except by ignoring it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol DMC broad brush generalizing about no one in particular

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    doubt anything comes of it, but Congress merely alluding to its war powers is borderline newsworthy

A bipartisan group of nearly 50 members of Congress introduced H.J.Res. 87 today, legislation to invoke cons utional war powers to end unauthorized United States military involvement in Saudi Arabia’s brutal war in Yemen. The resolution was led in the House of Representatives by Representatives Peter DeFazio (OR-04), Pramila Jayapal (WA-07), Nancy Mace (SC-01), and Adam Schiff (CA-28). A companion version will be introduced by Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) in the Senate when the upper chamber reconvenes.

Consistent with virtually identical provisions the House has adopted for three consecutive years — most recently in an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act passed by a bipartisan majority in 2021 — this new resolution would put an end to U.S. military participation in offensive air strikes that are operationally essential to the Saudi-led military campaign. The resolution includes provisions to:

• End U.S. intelligence sharing that enables offensive Saudi-led coalition strikes;
    • End U.S. logistical support for offensive Saudi-led coalition strikes, including the providing of maintenance and spare parts to coalition members engaged in anti-Houthi bombings in Yemen; and,
    • Prohibit U.S. personnel from being assigned to command, coordinate, participate in the movement of, or accompany Saudi-led coalition forces engaged in hostilities without prior specific statutory authorization by Congress.

“Article I of the Cons ution is clear: Congress, not the Executive branch, has the sole authority to declare war and authorize involvement of U.S. forces in overseas conflicts, including inserting U.S. troops as advisors in aid of foreign-led hostilities,” said Rep. DeFazio. “It’s critical that the Biden Administration take the steps necessary to fulfill their promise to end U.S. support for the disastrous Saudi-led war in Yemen. We should not be involved in yet another conflict in the Middle East— especially a brutal war that has created the world’s largest humanitarian crisis, and contributed to the deaths of at least 377,000 civilians.”

“Congress cannot sit by and allow the United States’ complicity in the worst humanitarian crisis in the world to continue,” said Rep. Jayapal. “There are more than 16 million Yemenis living on the brink of starvation and more than two million children suffering from acute malnutrition — and the American people’s tax dollars are helping finance that suffering. I am proud to join my colleagues in leading the introduction of this resolution today, and securing a vote to finally put a stop to American involvement in this catastrophe. We look forward to seeing this resolution pass the House and Senate and be signed into law by the President, so he can fulfill his commitment to ending U.S. involvement in this crisis.”

"The war in Yemen continues, sadly, to be an overlooked humanitarian crisis; it is imperative Congress rescinds U.S. support for this unauthorized military conflict and works toward peace on the Arabian peninsula,” said Rep. Mace.

“The recent ceasefire has created an opportunity for American diplomacy to help end the tremendous human suffering caused by the war in Yemen,” said Rep. Schiff. “The clearest and best way to press all sides to the negotiating table is for Congress to immediately invoke its cons utional war powers to end U.S. involvement in this conflict.”

Today’s introduction comes more than seven years after unauthorized U.S. participation began. Since 2015, Saudi Arabia’s airstrikes and air-and-sea blockade have cost hundreds of thousands of lives and threatened millions more with famine. In recent months, Saudi airstrikes escalated, killing and injuring four times more civilians than in 2021.
    https://progressives.house.gov/2022/...i-war-in-yemen

Thread Information