Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is it's fine if you want to draft a two-guard IF you trade some of the ones you have for value. Otherwise, you'll see Vassell playing PF while folks pretend it's just a temporary thing forced upon the team until they can find some front-court talent. Clear that glut and use that value to attack the other positions instead of just scratching your head and doing the same process over and over. It's an open question if the Spurs are even good at developing SGs anyway. I'd say it's the weakest position of the Pop era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is it's fine if you want to draft a two-guard IF you trade some of the ones you have for value. Otherwise, you'll see Vassell playing PF while folks pretend it's just a temporary thing forced upon the team until they can find some front-court talent. Clear that glut and use that value to attack the other positions instead of just scratching your head and doing the same process over and over. It's an open question if the Spurs are even good at developing SGs anyway. I'd say it's the weakest position of the Pop era.
    There's not a single player on the roster who can get his own shot other than Murray and he's not great at it. A guy who can hunt shots and create in the end game is a major need.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have to draft the BPA at 9 and then work the roster around it. It's their job to fit the pieces together after the pick but can't pass on the best talent on the board when they are on the clock. A draft day trade can always be a possibility to work the roster concerns out. There will be draft day trades and the Spurs can't sit out of being assertive to improve the roster with three first round pick assets.

They don't have any untradeable player on the roster.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's not a single player on the roster who can get his own shot other than Murray and he's not great at it. A guy who can hunt shots and create in the end game is a major need.
    Yeah, those are the type of players needed to pull out the hard fought playoff games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is, and I think the team needs to hunt those guys in free agency. But it's clear the Spurs want to try to train guys to develop into aggressive combo-guards instead of just paying for them. In my opinion they've missed out on decent talent both in the draft and in free agency due to this. The team needs an offensive hub, but they need to not collect kipple at their wing positions in an effort to turn crap into gold. Even Murray's more of a feel-good story than a success in that endeavor

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't get me wrong, I don't love the mid-range game at the expense of shooting threes, and it's hard to say if the Spurs will push him to shoot more threes. But I believe he's solid at the corner three percentage wise, so the hope is that since he isn't afraid to shoot in general, that he will transition as needed to fit the modern NBA game. That interview says he models his game after Devin Booker, so there could be worse comparisons, I suppose.
    You're right he was solid in the corners converting nearly 44% ( 7 of 16). He can shoots the three without a doubt.

I hear a lot of times that this guy is a good defender. In the NBA though? Guards his size who are elite defenders are usually stocky (Jrue, Smart). I think his ceiling on defense is above average at best.
    the measurements are good, i think he's solid physically.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is, and I think the team needs to hunt those guys in free agency. But it's clear the Spurs want to try to train guys to develop into aggressive combo-guards instead of just paying for them. In my opinion they've missed out on decent talent both in the draft and in free agency due to this. The team needs an offensive hub, but they need to not collect kipple at their wing positions in an effort to turn crap into gold. Even Murray's more of a feel-good story than a success in that endeavor
    So which of those type of players did they neglect to get in free agency?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So which of those type of players did they neglect to get in free agency?
    Free agency was actually full of guards. They chose to do the DeRozan trade and sign complimentary players instead. Even in terms of complimentary players, they signed guys to help the guards grow rather than elite finishers to take advantage of competent guard play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right he was solid in the corners converting nearly 44% ( 7 of 16). He can shoots the three without a doubt.

the measurements are good, i think he's solid physically.
    Im not talking measurements. Im talking about frame. There are very little, maybe none, guards that are that skinny and elite at defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want to like this guy. He’s got a lot of heart, leadership potential, and confidence. Don’t love the measurements, and would be demoralized at some level of the spurs choose yet another guard. But also won’t hate it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not talking measurements. Im talking about frame. There are very little, maybe none, guards that are that skinny and elite at defense.
    Yes and i don't think he's that skinny maybe to guard some SF's but he can bulk up. He's not like a McGowens or someone like that.

Look from 4'47 to 7'38 and tell me what you see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and i don't think he's that skinny maybe to guard some SF's but he can bulk up. He's not like a McGowens or someone like that.

Look from 4'47 to 7'38 and tell me what you see.
    The kid is 20. He’s still gonna bulk up 20 more lbs of muscle .

I mean I like the tenacity of this kid, his willingness to do everything on the court. He’s a go-to scorer, not shy to step up and will not defer I think. Again I don’t know how PATFO would play it. Straight up I’d prefer Keegan if available at #9. I like Sochan also as a defender. I think they have many options. But I wouldn’t mind Davis at all maybe as Walker’s replacement and bring him to close like Manu did? Many options here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather have a 6-9 player who still needs to develop their three than a 6-5 player who can't hit the three either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than, like, Dejounte Murray and Patrick Beverly and many others?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than, like, Dejounte Murray and Patrick Beverly and many others?
    I like how you wrote “many others” as if you actually had plenty more examples.

Beverley was a one-year wonder. And he gets his reputation from his hustle, not actually good defense.

Murray has not made it to elite yet as evidenced by him not making the Defensive team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how you wrote “many others” as if you actually had plenty more examples.

Beverley was a one-year wonder. And he gets his reputation from his hustle, not actually good defense.

Murray has not made it to elite yet as evidenced by him not making the Defensive team.
    Like how you named two stocky guards. This is stupid. There are a lot of good thin defenders. It's ing basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like how you named two stocky guards. This is stupid. There are a lot of good thin defenders. It's ing basketball.
    Did I say there aren’t any good thin defenders? I said JD’s ceiling was above average on that end. The is your problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did I say there aren’t any good thin defenders? I said JD’s ceiling was above average on that end. The is your problem?
    This is literally what you said:

"There are very little, maybe none, guards that are that skinny and elite at defense."

You seemed to forget there's one on our team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs fans should accept that no, Murray is not an exception to that rule. He's not and never beena truly great defensive guard. Instead he's a above-average defender who's elite in some areas and below-average in others. He can be part of a very good defense, but he cannot be its foundation. He didn't get snubbed for All-Defense this year, and he probably should not have been on it in 2018.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a SF standing reach. Good frame and still skinny that adding 5 pounds is doable first 2 year's in the league. He would give you good defense no question and his c&s and late clock creation would keep him on the floor on offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is literally what you said:

"There are very little, maybe none, guards that are that skinny and elite at defense."

You seemed to forget there's one on our team.
    I think you two are arguing over the definition of 'elite' defender vs a good defender. My 2 cents is that I don't think being thin has anything to do with how good of a defender a wing can be. I don't think the Spurs have any elite defenders either. DJ, Devin, and Jak are all pretty high level defenders within a team concept but, I don't see any of them as elite... I also don't see any true elite defenders in this draft in the top 20 (maybe a one dimensional guy later on)... Sochan I think will be good on that end but I see him as more of a pest on the defensive end than elite...I think Davis will be solid on that end but he's not elite either... So I'm not looking for elite in the top 20...I'm looking for good and willing defenders because thats the best the top 20 has to offer on that side of the court...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to HoopsHype’s u/d workout tracker, Johnny D has had a workout with the Spurs.
    Very sneaky if true…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to HoopsHype’s u/d workout tracker, Johnny D has had a workout with the Spurs.
    Very sneaky if true…
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick, honestly, especially since he's drawn comparisons to Manu Ginobili.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick, honestly, especially since he's drawn comparisons to Manu Ginobili.
    I don’t like the Manu comparison tbh. I do agree though that I believe he’s on the shortlist.

Johnny looks like he has that compe ive drive, toughness of somebody like perhaps Manu but I don’t like some of the reads and decisions he makes with the ball.
    Is it the team/personnel he played with? Perhaps but ball dominant SG w/o an elite Offensive skill (shooting, self creation, athleticism) scare the out of me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very sneaky if true…

So maybe a second one ?

Thread Information