Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this leads to a buyout the Spurs grossly mishandled the situation. LMA is still a good player he has always needed time to get in a groove and he really hasn't had that time this year with the injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol that is not an option anymore. Once Pop (or any coach) says you're out, you're out. It would look mighty foolish of him to come back after those statements were released.

It WAS probably in LMA's best interest to come off the bench and stuff the stat sheet for his next contract with another team. Unfortunately, it's either:

1) His ego blinded him from seeing this

Or

2) He and the Spurs have been working alongside with each other on a trade for awhile now and they have a sense of which teams he could be traded to, so no need to go out there and risk further injury
    I like option 2. If that’s true him playing a few minutes off the bench was to establish for a suitor that he’s healthy and ready to play. It would be great if there’s something likely to happen on the trade front. I dislike losing him without trying to get even a minutes eater player in exchange. It’s interesting to speculate about who could be their target —if there’s a target and they aren’t just accommodating LMA (which is a real possibility)...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Bulls interest is true, I'd imagine Porter would be the asset. With an extensive injury history and current back issue, he's probably a 25 mpg four at this point, but he'd still be a near ideal fit as both a starter/Gay replacement.

Think Miami is def. in play, but hard to imagine Spurs wanting part of Leonard now considering their ‘character’ mandate.
    Miami plays 6th slowest in Pace fwiw too.

As I clearly indicated, Leonard would merely be salary ballast. He'd never actually join the team, then come the off season they'd either use his team option in a trade or more likely decline it and wash their hands of him.

It would've been a completely different Spurs era had the team not had him. He was a fine bridge during some of the most tumultuous years the franchise has faced. He deserves legit respect from the fan base. I don't know if it's worth retiring the jersey for, but he has his place in the team's history, solidly in the top-10 performers the club has had.

I'd hate that deal, though. I'd rather them be aggressive with his salary and target, say Gordon and Bamba.
    Agreed, but I wouldn't retire his jersey. Every franchise in the big 4 should have a Ring of Honor and that's where he should reside.

It was time, but it's still nostalgic to see him go since he was a throwback and ends the Spurs 30+ year run of having either a first ballot Hall-of-Famer or borderline Hall-of-Famer manning the middle.

DeRozan is the path to getting Gordon and Bamba types, not Aldridge.

Olynyk, pretty much an ideal backup to Poeltl, is probably on the high end of what can be expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I clearly indicated, Leonard would merely be salary ballast. He'd never actually join the team, then come the off season they'd either use his team option in a trade or more likely decline it and wash their hands of him.
    The thing is though, he would still be listed as a member of the Spurs regardless of his actual position/role on the team/trade.
    Can’t see the Spurs wanting to have any association with this whatsoever, especially after Adam Silver’s statement.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is though, he would still be listed as a member of the Spurs regardless of his actual position/role on the team/trade.
    Can’t see the Spurs wanting to have any association with this whatsoever, especially after Adam Silver’s statement.

Briefly. I'm sure they'd prefer otherwise, but it's not like there's going to be a long line of Aldridge suitors trade wise and they'll both want to do right by him and get something worthwhile for themselves.

If this is the best they can do, something like that shouldn't stand in the way.

Here's a possible alternative . . .

To Bulls: Aldridge, Lyles
    To Heat: Gay
    To Spurs: Porter, Olynyk

The Bulls would be at 16, so this would be contingent on them making another trade (Markkanen?) or cutting someone.
    Last edited by TD 21; 03-11-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs' interest in Dinos earlier in the season makes a LOT of sense now.

The Spurs saw this coming for awhile with LMA...

It's all pieces of the puzzle that are coming together now, boys...

I know him very well, he is a stretch 5 but he's a sieve defensively, slow, unathletic, nothing to write home about, very meh

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MAlpha’s loss hit harder today after watching that atrocity we saw yesterday. Gonna miss him using his weight on scrubs in the post.

Poeltl/Eubanks and Lyles/Samanic is the worst 4 big rotation in the league history. All 4 of them combined would make an average big, at best. Package White with him (and maybe our 1st) and get Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a few years ago Kerr was playing Curry,Klay,Durant in garbage time against some team and after the game I remember a reporter asked if he was running up the score. His response was actually serious which was "No the reason why I'm playing our top guys is because they need to get their stats and won't be happy if they don't." Kerr was basically acknowledging that his star players are stat padders. All the top players are pretty much like that. Lebron even at old age cares deeply about his numbers and prior to Davis getting hurt was trying hard to get another league MVP.

Dave,Manu,Duncan were all mature adults and mature for their age that's why they could make sacrifices and also peer pressure Tony to fall in align. The only mature superstars I see are Jokic,Giannis, and it looks like Embiid is maturing but we'll see as the season progresses. Most of these star players don't ever mature just look at the antics Harden,Durant,Lebron,Kawhi all pull and they are now in their 30's. It's why we should all appreciate how special Dave,Manu,Duncan were instead of expecting guys to have their mentality.
    I’m responding because this is reference to one of my posts. I totally get your point here but I don’t see why that should excuse my dislike for LMA. Sure he did us a favor by choosing us but he also showed up to training camp fat (even during his first season here when he didn’t even achieve anything yet), didn’t show up a lot of games and Pop couldn’t chew him out because of his fragile ego, the trade request back in 2017. Sorry I don’t care if he did good for us, he also was a loser at times and I’m glad he’s gone. Has nothing to do with being spoiled. It’s just not accepting en lement and laziness from players

I criticize Demar, Rudy and Patty a lot too but if they left the Spurs tomorrow I would give them much respect. They never pulled any stunts that Aldridge did on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he literally already tried to leave once .

Spurs fans willing to stay in an abusive relationship with a star player cause one never signs here so they willing to respect a person who after having the most team success he ever did said "i want to be traded".
    Kiwi’s antics really messed with some people’s heads on here, mine included lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know him very well, he is a stretch 5 but he's a sieve defensively, slow, unathletic, nothing to write home about, very meh
    Between Jakob and Luka we've got some defensively fleet-footed bigs in our future, not sure we need a sieve unless he's an offensive marvel, and then only off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"among teams"
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-11-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Heat going to send this guy to the Spurs for Pop Reeducation Camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this leads to a buyout the Spurs grossly mishandled the situation. LMA is still a good player he has always needed time to get in a groove and he really hasn't had that time this year with the injuries.
    He had 18 games to get his fat ass in shape, before any of the supposed injuries, which I still maintain were faked to keep from tagging him with DNP/CDs. The “hip injury” conveniently happened just after a 31 point blowout loss to the Grizz. He didn’t play again until we were short handed due to COVID. He played only 3 games until one or two players came back, but then developed a mysterious stomach ailment.

It’s not the Spurs fault that he does very little in the off season to get ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't think any of these are likely, but this guy breaks it down well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm.. probably a re-hash of other sources?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=twitter

"LaMarcus Aldridge Trade Rumors: Heat Have Spoken to Spurs About Move for PF"

Good luck, Heat! LMFAO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of these trade scenarios still assume we are trying to sell LMA the 'player' for an asset (Zach Collins, a NY 2024 1st etc) and I'm fine with that but, I still think we should be using LMA the 'contract' to buy a player. I wonder if any of these prognosticators have any inside info or are they just guessing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of these trade scenarios still assume we are trying to sell LMA the 'player' for an asset (Zach Collins, a NY 2024 1st etc) and I'm fine with that but, I still think we should be using LMA the 'contract' to buy a player. I wonder if any of these prognosticators have any inside info or are they just guessing?
    I don't think the Spurs would reveal anyone else is available for trade, that would up chemistry. So I think everyone is assuming only LMA by himself is the only one up for trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not giving us Barnes and Holmes for essentially Lonnie. Holmes is sporting a 19 PER, and is only making $5M. He’s also a FA this summer. Adding Holmes also adds close to a million to our payroll, and could push us into the tax. Did I mention that he’s a FA this summer? And we’ll have cap room? Not that sold on Woodward. Seems like a poor man’s Keldon.

A small trade of LMA/Lonnie straight up for Barnes Nets you a solid rotation or starting piece on a reasonable deal, keeping the cap sheet pretty clean. He can play with DD, or instead of him. It would be a very Spursy move. It also frees up another roster spot, and some more room, $4M or so, under the tax.
    Barnes would be a great addition! His contract decreases to 20.2mill next year, 18+ as an expiring. You get him you are not hamstrung if DeRozen wants to play elsewhere next year, and Barnes's game fits with how the Spurs want to be able to play now and in the future. Lonnie and our 1st rounder might be stiff a price, but if it secures Barnes, I'd do it. Draft pick in the mid 20's gets about a 1.2+ mill on salary and it escalates. Spend that on Nate Renfro instead.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs would reveal anyone else is available for trade, that would up chemistry. So I think everyone is assuming only LMA by himself is the only one up for trade.
    That makes sense...but I would think other teams we are talking too would leak it and we'd hear it from their beat reporters..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes sense...but I would think other teams we are talking too would leak it and we'd hear it from their beat reporters..
    If I were the Spurs, I'll hold it until the trade deadline and say, "I want X player too, do you want Lonnie with Aldridge?"

That way you avoid drama + you make them sweat because the clock is ticking and they're likely to make an irrational decision

Negotiation Tactics 101. The bait-and-switch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were the Spurs, I'll hold it until the trade deadline and say, "I want X player too, do you want Lonnie with Aldridge?"

That way you avoid drama + you make them sweat because the clock is ticking and they're likely to make an irrational decision

Negotiation Tactics 101. The bait-and-switch
    I don't think that's a good tactic unless we really have multiple suitors (and if we're selling I don't see multiple suitors).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that's a good tactic unless we really have multiple suitors (and if we're selling I don't see multiple suitors).
    It's going to be a loooong 14 days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol yes it is.... I'm gonna wear my phone out checking on this stuff and spouting ideas... it's not often we get a mid season trade to ponder...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You ain't lying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes I’m thinking they have a done deal somewhere already I’m guessing for nurkic and Derrick Jones jr money adds up
    I don't see them trading Nurk for Aldridge tbh. It would probably have to something like be DJJ and Hood for Aldridge with a couple of seconds, possibly coming from Portland.

They prolly got wind LMA was gonna go public with his dissatisfaction and release demands, and decided to go public first. Would further ruin their look if another big name pulled the same bull as Nephew in the span of three years, especially since LMA had requested to be traded before.
    I don't think that would have been something that he would've done. I think it was always going to play out like this. He quietly asks for a trade or a buyout and the Spurs oblige. L.A. Nephew was just asshole.

Maybe Celtics trade exception and a conditional second round pick.
    Celtics would have to come off at least one of their seconds, and not a fake top 55 protected pick.

I don't care if it was always a marriage of convenience and wasn't for altruistic reasons, I'll always appreciate him being the one in prime star player signing here and would like to see him win a championship. Too bad he fell just shy of cracking 20k points threshold.

Aldridge for Olynyk and Leonard (out for season; kept away from team, fully non guaranteed and waived in off season)?
    Agreed. Always remember him for dragging that 2017-2018 team to the playoffs. At this point, that's probably the most likely deal plus maybe Miami's 2027 second rounder-- their only pick that they haven't traded or isn't tied up.

What about LMA for Wiggins? I know, cap space and all, but who will we got? This FA class is ty, and I don't want anybody frtom this class.
    Wiggins is overpriced, I know, but he would will a positional need, could play both Forward positions, long, athletic, young.

Even more so, LMA+DDR for Wiggins, Oubre, Looney, 1st.
    I've wondered if Wiggins for LMA would still be possible, even if Wiggins fills a need for GS. Golden State would save $30 million next season.

Wiggins and their 2021 first or the Minny 2021 second rounder (they owe one of the two to OKC, depending on where finish) for Aldridge. I don't think they'd move Oubre, he's apparently starting to play better. They may end up re-signing him, though they might want to off-load Looney in a deal involving Aldridge.

Thread Information