Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since Horry didn't leave the Spurs on good terms, along with the fact that he was young and impressionable when he played with Dream, I take what he says with a grain of salt. Here's the article:

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports...MKHKW6_MVFkjps

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also said he received death threats from SA spurs fans for that opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, another dude trying to stay relevant with corny opinions. As he should , seeing that Kendrick Perkins is being shown live over and over.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I saw that. Ridiculous!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's officially the off season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The death threats are stupid, over a ing opinion . Let the old man have his thoughts and move on.
    Last edited by Flawless; 08-28-2021 at 12:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He and Jack need to put together a vaudeville act, and take it on the road. The Bitter es.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude didn’t just say Olajuwon was better than Duncan he said he was 10x better. Obviously either looking to endear himself to Rocket fans or diss his SA base. I remember everyone else in the show was thinking “your crazy”. I understand why someone would think Olajuwon was better tbh. He is a top 10 player like Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olajuwon’s peak was higher than Duncan’s peak. Excuse-making aside, Olajuwon totally dominated two other Hall of Fame centers in the 1995 playoffs. He was head and shoulders above them.

In 1994, he carried an otherwise mediocre team to a championship, one where the second-best player was Otis Thorpe.

But before 1993 or so, he wasn’t “that guy” yet. Once Sampson broke down, the Rockets were middle-of-the-pack for years. Olajuwon didn’t make anyone better. He put up the numbers for years and years, but something just didn’t click until his early 30’s.

With Duncan, he came into the league and was “that guy” by the middle of his rookie year. And he stayed that way for almost 20 years, though towards the end he had to learn to pick his spots. But Duncan never totally dominated his peers for entire playoff series like Olajuwon did. There were a few games that stand out against the Lakers in ‘99 and ‘03. But his peak just wasn’t as high, though the totality of his career was probably better. That’s why Duncan is a consensus Top 10 all-time player, while Olajuwon is usually Top 15.

Horry was in Houston only for those peak Dream years. His opinion is understandable. Also, he carried the Spurs in the 4th quarter and overtime of the game that turned the ‘05 Finals around while Tim was making key mistakes down the stretch. Give him a break even if he’s being kind of a prick about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's en led to his opinion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its really not that outlandish a take

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you say Olaujuwon is 10X better it's pretty outlandish. Now if he said Olaujuwon was better then I would understand it even though I wouldn't agree with it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He and Jack need to put together a vaudeville act, and take it on the road. The Bitter es.
    I would say Kawhi,Jax,Horry are my 3 most hated former Spur players from championship teams. 2 out of 3 just are desperate for attention with the hyperbole they speak.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It isn't. As a non-spur fan I'd prefer Hakeem over Duncan as well. I feel like he was not as blessed as Tim in the supporting cast talent and still managed to go back to back.

That said, if he thinks Hakeem is 10x better then he is either trolling or high on something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's trying to sell that take for drama and attention. I'm sure he did a get a few death threats but I doubt he got hundreds and thousands of them.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timmy's advanced stats >>> hakeem but yeah hakeem was god mode for 2 years, a peak duncan never reached (or maybe never had to reach because his teammates even in 03 were better)

hakeem is gohan and duncan is goku

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It isn't. As a non-spur fan I'd prefer Hakeem over Duncan as well. I feel like he was not as blessed as Tim in the supporting cast talent and still managed to go back to back.

That said, if he thinks Hakeem is 10x better then he is either trolling or high on something.
    Hakeem was blessed with Jordan’s two year playoff absence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timmy's advanced stats >>> hakeem but yeah hakeem was god mode for 2 years, a peak duncan never reached (or maybe never had to reach because his teammates even in 03 were better)

hakeem is gohan and duncan is goku
    There hasn’t been a player to take a crap team on his back to a le like 2003 Tim in the last 30 years. The second best player on that team was probably Jack. David was done, playing a Kawhi like schedule. Parker was probably 4-5 years from being dangerous. Manu was a rookie who missed a big chunk of the beginning of the season, and constantly clashed with Pop. B2B MVP years Duncan was a basketball god.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical bitter Horry.

Olajuwon is the Bryant of big men, constantly overrated because of a combination of aesthetics and nostalgia.

As the catch all metrics bear out, Duncan both peaked higher and had greater longevity. The better debate is Olajuwon vs Robinson.
    Last edited by TD 21; 08-28-2021 at 06:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olajuwon’s peak was higher than Duncan’s peak. Excuse-making aside, Olajuwon totally dominated two other Hall of Fame centers in the 1995 playoffs. He was head and shoulders above them.

In 1994, he carried an otherwise mediocre team to a championship, one where the second-best player was Otis Thorpe.

But before 1993 or so, he wasn’t “that guy” yet. Once Sampson broke down, the Rockets were middle-of-the-pack for years. Olajuwon didn’t make anyone better. He put up the numbers for years and years, but something just didn’t click until his early 30’s.

With Duncan, he came into the league and was “that guy” by the middle of his rookie year. And he stayed that way for almost 20 years, though towards the end he had to learn to pick his spots. But Duncan never totally dominated his peers for entire playoff series like Olajuwon did. There were a few games that stand out against the Lakers in ‘99 and ‘03. But his peak just wasn’t as high, though the totality of his career was probably better. That’s why Duncan is a consensus Top 10 all-time player, while Olajuwon is usually Top 15.

Horry was in Houston only for those peak Dream years. His opinion is understandable. Also, he carried the Spurs in the 4th quarter and overtime of the game that turned the ‘05 Finals around while Tim was making key mistakes down the stretch. Give him a break even if he’s being kind of a prick about it.
    I pretty much agree with you here, but I also think it's important to mention that Duncan's main nemesis-- Prime Shaq-- was a more dominant & better all around player than Hakeem's main rivals-- Pre-Prime Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, etc...

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There hasn’t been a player to take a crap team on his back to a le like 2003 Tim in the last 30 years. The second best player on that team was probably Jack. David was done, playing a Kawhi like schedule. Parker was probably 4-5 years from being dangerous. Manu was a rookie who missed a big chunk of the beginning of the season, and constantly clashed with Pop. B2B MVP years Duncan was a basketball god.
    i'm fooling around with some stats on the 94 rockets team and the 2003 spurs team and outside of hakeem and tim

almost equally crap tbh

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../HOU/1994.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../SAS/2003.html

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. People look back and go oh parker and manu and Robinson were on that team. Tim had three hall of famers. Don’t realize David was a s of himself and at best was a serviceable starter, Tony was in his second year and was regularly benched in close games and manu was a rookie bench player averaging 7 points a game. That team was all Tim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems to take a long time for certain player's ego to recover after they're told not good enough to play anymore. Almost 15 years for Rob.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems to take a long time for certain player's ego to recover after they're told not good enough to play anymore. Almost 15 years for Rob.
    Stephen Jackson and Horry both suffer from the same thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson and Horry both suffer from the same thing.
    So fragile & insecure. It's amazing

Thread Information