Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did Memphis cut him loose if he is useful?
    kicking tires on young players and with JJJ coming back they have Jonas as the back up

doing a favor to a good dude and player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did Memphis cut him loose if he is useful?

Couldnt find a trade with his contract and arent bringing him back anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good Job making THIS Fuggits moves make some type of sense

the Well he did throw away millions but heck.... They can afford it...

WHY IS THIS CROSS EYED TURD STILL HERE !!>!>!>!>!>!

BRIAN WRONG!!!!
    Looks like a NBA2k character model. The guy is missing a few polygons.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but RIP to Spurs legend Chriss
    I was really close to starting one of those “seedy places of ‘worship’ of Marquese Chriss” threads

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, well, well, that's a FTL move. I think TiMVP is right; he is probably the best player of the 3 between him, Aldridge, and Drummond. WhyTF did he pick us though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Memphis didn't do a buyout? Just waived him? What was the incentive for that?
    Buyouts technically involved being waived. I assume he gave up money but haven't seen specifics yet.

So guessing minimun deal for the remainder?
    Probably. But the Spurs could have given him more. They had a majority of the MLE to spend. It's even possible the Spurs gave him a multi-year deal. Hopefully we get details soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The meltdown over the Chriss trade in retrospect is funny.
    I admit...I'm guilty....I'll own it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't Dieng have a 19 PER for the Grizzlies? Calling R. DeMurre

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng's weaknesses: Robotic on both ends. Can be a ballhog at times on offense. Not a swift perimeter defender. When he was younger, basketball IQ was a big problem. It has gotten better but can still be an issue. He turned 31 in January so he's not a youngster.

But on paper he's pretty much a perfect backup for Poeltl. He can shoot. He even has a bit of a postup game. He's strong and rebounds well. He's a better passer than you'd expect. Good post defender. Runs the court pretty well.

If he fits, he's probably worth re-signing on a two-year contract. Bigs of his ilk age pretty well ... and he inexplicably (at this point) picked the Spurs so that has to be worth something
    Good shot blocker too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng would have been a starter for the Raptors and probably the Heat. The Knicks just lost Mitc Robinson so he could have maybe even started there and then cash in the summer due to all their cap space. The Suns need a backup big and they look pretty legit. The Sixers just traded away Bradley who was their Embiid replacement when hurt.

So, yeah, not sure why Dieng picked the Spurs. Bigger contract? Promised to be a starter over Poeltl? (Can't imagine that, though, thb.) Attracted to culture and coffee gang lifestyle? Can't be big minutes, limelight or championship odds. . .
    My guess is he was won over by slightly more money and the chance to play for Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how does this help us get into the lottery?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any case, it looks like we upgraded from Aldridge to Dieng and our rotation is now set:

C: Poeltl / Dieng
    PF: DeRozan / Gay
    SF: Johnson
    SG: White / Walker
    PG: Murray / Mills

That's a pretty solid 9-man rotation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely an upgrade to the state of the team. Solid vet with good shooting and timely defense. Honestly.... we’ll get more out of this guy than LA. And he won’t negatively impact any of the youngsters progress besides drew. I guess Drew is just going to have to wait till next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is he was won over by slightly more money and the chance to play for Pop.

We just jumped to 7th....fck the lottery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buyouts technically involved being waived. I assume he gave up money but haven't seen specifics yet.

Probably. But the Spurs could have given him more. They had a majority of the MLE to spend. It's even possible the Spurs gave him a multi-year deal. Hopefully we get details soon.
    spurs def could of thrown some cash his way. Plus im sure hes all but guaranteed minutes behind foul prone jakob

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any case, it looks like we upgraded from Aldridge to Dieng and our rotation is now set:

C: Poeltl / Dieng
    PF: DeRozan / Gay
    SF: Johnson
    SG: White / Walker
    PG: Murray / Mills

That's a pretty solid 9-man rotation

I still think it wouldn’t hurt if they go with Luka at the 4, DD at the 3 and have Johnson dominate off the bench. Luka has proven to not be too much of a liability anymore. Curtail his minutes if necessary. Just keep building his confidence.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I still think it wouldn’t hurt if they go with Luka at the 4, DD at the 3 and have Johnson dominate off the bench. Luka has proven to not be too much of a liability anymore. Curtail his minutes if necessary. Just keep building his confidence.
    i wouldn’t mind a 10 man rotation and just tick down everyone’s mins just a little. Even if it’s Luka getting like 10 mins total a night. I think he could thrive in that role and keep everyone fresh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just glad to have some good news from the FO for a change.

Looks like we were all jumping the gun assuming they were just angling to save their lunch money.

Diengs not a huge coup or anything...but a lot of "bigger teams" were hoping for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very solid. He’s more impactful than Drummond imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely an upgrade to the state of the team. Solid vet with good shooting and timely defense. Honestly.... we’ll get more out of this guy than LA. And he won’t negatively impact any of the youngsters progress besides drew. I guess Drew is just going to have to wait till next year.
    Drew is our Matt Bonner. Locker room guy and that's it, which is fine, everybody needs one. See: Nick Collison, Udonis Haslem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow that was wholly unexpected. Solid pickup. Sucks for Eubaks
    No, based on history, it's practically guaranteed that Detroit will sign him this offseason.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    more important than the pickup itself is that a FA big man who by all accounts was coveted by some of the other contending teams chose to come to SA for whatever reason. mean's our franchise isn't as big of a dumpster fire as some people here think. Obviously Dieng isn't Anthony Davis or anything but the fact is he could have started and being competing for a ring in Miami or been a main cog somewhere like LAC and instead chose the Spurs. small boost to confidence in the FO tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng's weaknesses: Robotic on both ends. Can be a ballhog at times on offense. Not a swift perimeter defender. When he was younger, basketball IQ was a big problem. It has gotten better but can still be an issue. He turned 31 in January so he's not a youngster.

But on paper he's pretty much a perfect backup for Poeltl. He can shoot. He even has a bit of a postup game. He's strong and rebounds well. He's a better passer than you'd expect. Good post defender. Runs the court pretty well.

If he fits, he's probably worth re-signing on a two-year contract. Bigs of his ilk age pretty well ... and he inexplicably (at this point) picked the Spurs so that has to be worth something
    Fair analysis. Another weakness is that he is a bit foul-prone. But he can block shots decently, has a high steal rate for a big and he rebounds really well too. He played very good team defense in his later seasons with the TimberPups.

I think he chose the Spurs as he is quite a character guy, does a lot of community work and comes from an international background - the Spurs are known to foster an international outlook in their teams (at least in the past). He will get along beautifully with Patty's bench gang.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We stacked fam!!! For real though, Dieng is a good piece. I don’t see this being the Luka blocker, but I do like the Malik Rose type energy of Eubanks. Gay and Mills reluctance to pass are really the only two things I don’t enjoy watching. Otherwise, this isn’t my least favorite Spurs team.

Thread Information