Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1547
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a teenager in Europe and he regularly got abused by grown men playing the position...now he's put on muscle and is filling out.... he needs to be developed by getting consistent minutes at the 4... that's really all it comes down to..
    That’s a pretty flimsy excuse for poor 3pt shooting. No one is abusing him on the perimeter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka has taken 25 3's and Devin has taken 85 3's....that a pretty big difference... I'm not taking either guy on my hill to die on but, if I'm looking for a solid pro with high floor I'll take Devin but, I know he's doesn't have the talent to be a franchise guy.... Luka does but he also has the potential to wash out..... what you see as passive I see as pouting because he isn't getting his opportunities (or at least his opportunities aren't consistent)...when pop played him for a few games in the regular rotation he looked really good....
    no one thought a kawhi was all world as a rookie. I’ve already seen Devin adding things to his game this year, with no summer league, training camp, or practices to speak of.

Pouting won’t get you minutes from Pop. I worry about his intellectual capacity if he hasn’t picked that up yet, after nearly two years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s a pretty flimsy excuse for poor 3pt shooting. No one is abusing him on the perimeter.
    It's not a excuse for 3 pt shooting...it's an excuse for being intimidated in a league his body hadn't caught up to at that point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no one thought a kawhi was all world as a rookie. I’ve already seen Devin adding things to his game this year, with no summer league, training camp, or practices to speak of.

Pouting won’t get you minutes from Pop. I worry about his intellectual capacity if he hasn’t picked that up yet, after nearly two years.
    I agree that his intellectual capacity is a concern....I think his desire is also a concern....the talent is there but those things will have to be born out on the court if he's to reach his potential. I will add though that his desire and intellectual capacity looked just fine for the few games in a row that pop played him consistently..... it was pop who said he had 'earned minutes' and then stopped giving him those minutes....that's not the best way to inspire or build up the confidence of any individual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't put a ceiling on Vassell, it's just too early to say how good he can be.

The big thing for me about Luka is he has shown an ap ude to be a solid perimeter threat and is willing to take the shot this season. There in lies half the battle.
    DDR and KJ (and to a lesser extent, DJ) for all their improvements and good qualities, still routinely pass up open 3s or worse hesitate and then take the shot, in DDR's case often a loooong 2.

Taking good high quality shots, an ability to attack a close out and not to mention the old adage - "You can't teach size"; suggests in theory Luka would be an immediate upgrade at times, though admittedly the Spurs will have to live with some mistakes and botched rotations.
    But the flip-side to this is, for me, is evident.

Speaking Defensively, As an example - Watch the 4th Q of the last King's game - Patty rotates correctly to cover the lane but is just too small to lend assistance or stop a deep paint catch. Again Patty made the right play from a positioning stand point and fundamental basketball point of view. The outcome though was/is inevitable on possessions you play undersized, in this case with a trio of DJ, DW and PM (2 of the 3 positions).

Luka is still a big unknown, without question. (I thought heading into the season he was still a year away from receiving any valuable minutes). However, with Lyles out of the rotation seemingly for good and Rudy's status beyond the season in doubt,
    let's roll the dice Spurs - we might just "re-bubble" ourselves into relevance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a excuse for 3 pt shooting...it's an excuse for being intimidated in a league his body hadn't caught up to at that point.
    The post you replied to, the one I quoted, was specifically targeted to crappy shooting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a teenager in Europe and he regularly got abused by grown men playing the position...now he's put on muscle and is filling out.... he needs to be developed by getting consistent minutes at the 4... that's really all it comes down to..
    He shot 29% in 2 years of the Barcelona youth teams before moving to Union Olimpija for the year before his draft.

Kids or grown men, he's shot poorly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man you act like he is starting every game and getting major minutes HE Is Not so how can you judge someone who very rarely gets more then 5 minutes a game? I am not saying he is the best shooter in the team I am saying he is one of the more talented players on this team. He sat last year did what he had to do hit the weight room cleaned up his act and this year he did great in the G League - When he did play major minutes he actually did very well only to then be benched by Poop which makes no sense since LMA is gone - You can’t get better at any sport unless your actually playing against compe ion - Play Luka and win - Sit Luka and Tank - I guess it’s a win win

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if only he'd get as many minutes and chances as the loser Devin Vassell gets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every time I look at Vassell box score it always seems to show he scored 3pts like every time am I imagining it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He aint getting run as long as gay is breathing

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no excuse now not to give vassel, samanaic, even tre some serious burn the rest of the year. like 20+mpg every night.

this team isn't making the playoffs much less making any noise with its current rotations

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no excuse now not to give vassel, samanaic, even tre some serious burn the rest of the year. like 20+mpg every night.

this team isn't making the playoffs much less making any noise with its current rotations
    The excuse is that this team seems unwilling to call a spade a spade and set their sights on the future of this franchise. We'd rather give minutes to the Rudy Gay, Patty Mills, Gorgui Dieng, and Drew Eubanks of the world than let the guys who we spent draft capital on play minutes in order to learn, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes.

This FO would rather hold on to guys who we know aren't in our future plans--and then buy them out mid-season to go ring chase--than trade them when they have a semblance of value.

Find me one guy who was picked in the 1st round and had their development slow-walked like Pop has Luka, Lonnie, etc. and ended up becoming a All Star level player. I literally don't think there is an example of this "strategy" working.

Especially considering there pretty much is no D-League this year, and we are an early first round exit at best, Pop giving minutes to guys in their mid to late 30s at the expense of the youth is genuinely inexcusable.

Somehow this franchise which was for two decades plus championship oriented has decided the ultimate goal is literally just making the playoffs. It's an insult to the fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, Halliburton would be on the bench getting 10 minutes a game.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The excuse is that this team seems unwilling to call a spade a spade and set their sights on the future of this franchise. We'd rather give minutes to the Rudy Gay, Patty Mills, Gorgui Dieng, and Drew Eubanks of the world than let the guys who we spent draft capital on play minutes in order to learn, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes.

This FO would rather hold on to guys who we know aren't in our future plans--and then buy them out mid-season to go ring chase--than trade them when they have a semblance of value.

Find me one guy who was picked in the 1st round and had their development slow-walked like Pop has Luka, Lonnie, etc. and ended up becoming a All Star level player. I literally don't think there is an example of this "strategy" working.

Especially considering there pretty much is no D-League this year, and we are an early first round exit at best, Pop giving minutes to guys in their mid to late 30s at the expense of the youth is genuinely inexcusable.

Somehow this franchise which was for two decades plus championship oriented has decided the ultimate goal is literally just making the playoffs. It's an insult to the fans.
    i understand and am in favour of the argument that losing is for losers, and you can't become a winner by losing.

that being said, "win now" mode for Spurs means losing. so let's acknowledge reality and play the next generation to see if we have any real winners

(i also have the greatest respect for Pop. and that's what makes me scared -- maybe he sees the youngest guns (luke jr, vassell, tre, etc.), and knows right away none of them are going to have a major impact, so he figures might as well not waste time trying to play them)

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would make doncic a stand in a corner spot up shooter...in his 2nd or 3rd year. Hed have to watch and learn from Rudy first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean pop gave him a good 6 min stretch, he didnt really take advantage, he looked lost

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i understand and am in favour of the argument that losing is for losers, and you can't become a winner by losing.

that being said, "win now" mode for Spurs means losing. so let's acknowledge reality and play the next generation to see if we have any real winners

(i also have the greatest respect for Pop. and that's what makes me scared -- maybe he sees the youngest guns (luke jr, vassell, tre, etc.), and knows right away none of them are going to have a major impact, so he figures might as well not waste time trying to play them)
    Well Poop picked them so he either sucks as a talent advisor or he sucks as a coach or he sucks at both? Which one you wanna pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if only he'd get as many minutes and chances as the loser Devin Vassell gets.
    He will, just as soon as he shoots 40% from three, and defends.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't really have much to write home about. Of course. Rudy didn't make things any better by icing him out..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I see we’re doing that yearly thing where a young player has a breakout performance, rides the bench for an extended period of time while the team loses ball games, he returns to the rotation having not played in weeks and looks lost.

Not gonna fault Luka for that one. Pop has to force failure upon his young players when they don’t bring it upon themselves. Part of the humbling process or some crap.

I wouldn’t mind it so much if we didn’t have to rehash this circular conversation every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean pop gave him a good 6 min stretch, he didnt really take advantage, he looked lost
    He was terrible in 10 minutes the game before, but don’t confuse them with facts.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly, Spurs will go into the offseason looking for a power forward, because they dont know what they have in Luka.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was terrible in 10 minutes the game before, but don’t confuse them with facts.
    breakout game——->DNPs——>scattered minutes where player doesn’t look comfortable—->this conversation

a yearly tradition for spurs fans

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    breakout game——->DNPs——>scattered minutes where player doesn’t look comfortable—->this conversation

a yearly tradition for spurs fans
    Exactly.... this shouldn't be hard to understand...

Thread Information