Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been told all expectations are is that he’s coming back.
    Is this a 180 from what you heard before? Or do you think he was always coming back? Seems like you have some inside info...

No Limit For Life NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to my sources, Pop will……..stay tuned

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not stepping down. He enjoys what he does and he is a man of routine and structure. He most likely would hate retirement.
    Always figured he'd spend his retirement making wine.

No Limit For Life NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always figured he'd spend his retirement making wine.
    Maybe he’ll get a handle here. What better way to spend one’s time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been told all expectations are is that he’s coming back.
    Give a source or STFU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One interesting tidbit I've heard directly is that the coaches association and the agents who rep coaches really wants Pop to keep coaching. They want Pop to normalize NBA coaches coaching beyond the age of 70. As it is, they believe that age discrimination makes it nearly impossible to keep coaching beyond the early 60s. If Pop can have success into his 70s, that'd help other older coaches (specifically 70-year-old Mike D'Antoni) stay in the game longer.

As for what Pop will do ... I don't know. MoSpur02 is a proven insider so I'd say trust what he says until proven otherwise, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the pinot noir hangover subsides, he’ll likely assess and let people know, I guess?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One interesting tidbit I've heard directly is that the coaches association and the agents who rep coaches really wants Pop to keep coaching. They want Pop to normalize NBA coaches coaching beyond the age of 70. As it is, they believe that age discrimination makes it nearly impossible to keep coaching beyond the early 60s. If Pop can have success into his 70s, that'd help other older coaches (specifically 70-year-old Mike D'Antoni) stay in the game longer.

As for what Pop will do ... I don't know. MoSpur02 is a proven insider so I'd say trust what he says until proven otherwise, tbh.
    I don't think Pop's recent coaching performance with the Spurs is helping the "over 70s can still coach dammit!" argument. The gold medal will help, but not by much if the Spurs continue to struggle.

Even though Pop has more than earned the right to go out on his own terms, it would be kind of bull for him to retire this late in the offseason. He's presumably had a hand in all of the team's decisions this summer, and it's not a good look to jerk around free agents like that. Of course we're talking McDermott and Zollins so who cares what they think, they aren't stars right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't construct a roster and then change the headcoach afterwards. That wouldn't make sense

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the Forbes signing should be a big clue that Pop is returning

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think he's helping the cause tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the Forbes signing should be a big clue that Pop is returning
    I agree with that.

But then I look at Will Hardy leaving. If Pop had one more year, wouldn't he stick around and see if he could become the next HC, especially if Becky gets a gig somewhere else?

It's confusing. But, it's looking like he's returning at this point unless they unveil Becky and a bunch of assistants that they've been keeping under wraps. Seems unlikely. Seems more like Pop has kept the organization waiting for him to make up his mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ownership really WANTS him to keep coaching. They have made that known to him over and over. The contract he is on is like year to year basically. They worked hard to convince him to stay as coach last season and I think the year before as well. He stayed and I think that had to do with the vets on the team and wanting to compete for the playoffs.

As we all know those vets are all gone so this off session is totally different from those in the past. I haven’t heard anything since late May so something could’ve changed. I for one still want him to coach and hope he does.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll definitely miss Pop when he's gone and obviously we need it because we need to be absolute a$$ the next couple of years and he might prevent us from it so that being said i'm gonna make my prediction and say that this was the last time he coached.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i want pop to coach until he dies and possibly afterward. the el cid strategy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see him wanting to just disappear and not have a farewell tour so could be a reason for him hanging it up now. I would be a perplexed if he did just leave the organization in a lurch though so that goes against him just hanging it up. Any chance he would do like Riles and move to the front office and have Becky take over? Not sure, what he would do in the front office though, R.C. is president and Wright is GM. What do Barry and Ferry do? Maybe co-president?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i want pop to coach until he dies and possibly afterward. the el cid strategy
    Has anybody actually checked for a pulse lately?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think so late in the game with the season coming very soon, we will know for sure very soon as well.

I hope he gives it another go. He might enjoy working with and actually developing the young guys knowing there are no unrealistic expectations for the short term (1 to 2 years).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/mikefinger/statu...991545859?s=21

I hope he was just saying “bye” as he didn’t wanna answer the question, but who knows. As I stated back in May, from what I understand they were talking as if he has already decided to retire. Hope I’m wrong.
    Do you know what sayonara means? It means goodbye. He's gone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know what sayonara means? It means goodbye. He's gone.
    I do know what it means, which is why I said he hope he was just saying bye.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop being back means a worse record and better draft selection, we’ll then I’m all for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uriel did u not see the follow up tweet? Adds more context/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a bit convinced after the Derozan trade that he'll retire then the Spurs signed Forbes again so I don't know. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing Pop, the day he does retire, there won't be an announcement. Training camp will start, Pop won't be there and that's how everyone will find out.

Either that or in a press release where his retirement is buried beneath the news of a new Coyote costume washer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ownership really WANTS him to keep coaching. They have made that known to him over and over. The contract he is on is like year to year basically. They worked hard to convince him to stay as coach last season and I think the year before as well. He stayed and I think that had to do with the vets on the team and wanting to compete for the playoffs.

As we all know those vets are all gone so this off session is totally different from those in the past. I haven’t heard anything since late May so something could’ve changed. I for one still want him to coach and hope he does.
    Have you heard of ANYONE within the org suggest and have it reach ownership/managements ears that perhaps a coach more in tune with modern basketball strategy would improve the TEAMS chances?
    From whoever is just below President of Everything Spurs Lord Pop on down to the nightime custodial staff.

Thread Information