My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no way! Keith bogans was terrible
    Head of the snake Bogans? Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm very confident Sochan will be the pick at 9 and especially since I don't want him as the pick at 9.

The spurs were 14 games below .500 with no significant injuries. That was not a good season, one key injury and the the Spurs will be a bottom five team, that's how weak the talent on the roster is.

I don't think Sochan gets the Spurs into the playoffs as the key player acquisition the Spurs make as other teams in the west will be improving more than the Spurs. There will be a lot of player movement and teams will change.
    The Spurs were a very young team, still learning to close games early in the year. Their expected W/L was 41-41. They literally set the record for worst win % with a net positive rating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no way! Keith bogans was terrible
    Just a great example of no matter what all these analysis say, the majority of pics never become stars or even significant contributors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s just not a factual statement to say the Spurs had no key injuries last year

DJ was out and they went on a losing streak
    Poeltl was out at the beginning of the season when they were still trying to build chemistry
    not to mention White who was gone by midseason and had to be replaced by someone unfamiliar with the other starters

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with some of your points. I've seen you say that Spurs should be willing to trade to move up. What players / assets would you be willing to give up to move up from 9, and who would you realistically draft as a result of moving up?
    I would move up to draft either Sharpe, Mathurin or Murray. Just have to move up a little 2 spots to guarantee one of these players.

Who would I trade is the hard part because the spurs may not have enough attractive assets to even move up a little in the draft. I'm not opposed to trading anyone on the roster depending on the return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting form directly affects FT%. That’s why with someone like Johnny Davis, you don’t worry so much about his 30 3G%, because his shoots 80% from the FT line, meaning he has a consistent, re-producible stroke. You can’t shoot 80% from the line without that.
    I've heard it both ways actually in scouting reports. If they already shoot that well behind the FT line but that poorly from deep, it can be difficult getting vast improvement in their 3pt% that lines up with a increase in the FT % from a player with lower levels in both. But to draft such a player means they have the work ethic to get into the gym and put up 500 shots per day and the proper coaching to correct form issues.

Maybe easier to construct a shot from poor form than try to re-construct a form that was partially successful previously. Case in point at least in the short term is Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip England took guys like Bowen and Leonard and not only made them good shooters but really really good three point shooters. If Sochan is the gym rat like reported, there’s no reason you couldn’t rebuild his swing like Bowen or Tony Parker, and he improves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass. 60% free throw shooter. Even if he helped us into the playoffs we’d have to pull him the last 2 minutes or they’l hack a Jeremy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pass. 60% free throw shooter. Even if he helped us into the playoffs we’d have to pull him the last 2 minutes or they’l hack a Jeremy
    60% doesn’t get hacked. If they hack you at 60%, you go up and shoot your 60%, and thank them for handling you a defenderless offense at 60% scoring efficiency. <50% tends to be the threshold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a note Duren is around sixty percent fts. And Dyson Daniels has his own issues there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What determines high basketball IQ? How do you know his basketball IQ?

Is this a label put on defensive minded players(those guys have high basketball IQ) but not on offensive minded players(those guys are street ballers)?

The Spurs need a couple of high athletic street ballers who can drop 25 points a night and bring excitement on the offensive side of the ball.
    having a high basketball IQ isn’t just indicative of how someone plays defense. It’s how fast they process the right plays in live game action, not just the big splashy plays but also the small plays like making the correct extra pass, setting off ball picks, getting teammates in the correct position on offense and defense, boxing out for rebounds, tapping rebounds to teammates that they might not be able to gather, etc.

a player who plays smart, basically
    Last edited by D-Robinson 50 fan; 06-16-2022 at 07:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends who is still on the board but I only see him being a roll player at the NBA level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty out on Sochan tbh I wouldn’t hate it if he’s the pick but there’s better value at #9

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends who is still on the board but I only see him being a roll player at the NBA level.
    A lot of the difference between role player, starter, and All Star is between the ears. Boris Diaw is a nearly perfect example. He had a complete NBA skill set, cleared more on his flip flop cappuccino vertical test than Amare, yet was nothing more than a journeyman. I always thought he could have been All NBA if he burned for the game like the big three did. Nic Batum is another one.

Sochan supposedly has a killer work ethic. That’ll go a long way towards determining his ceiling in a league where talent is the norm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan has the possibility of raising the level of those around him, whether fixing mistakes and improving team defense while he's on the floor or as a connector on offense. The guy busts his ass and tries to get under the skin of opposing players. He's not some guy to stick in the corners.

That may be a role player, but undersells what a role player is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris Diaw a journeyman, wow. Guy was a starter in a contending Phoenix team and spurs might not ring in 2014 witthout him, they might not even get past OKC.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were a very young team, still learning to close games early in the year. Their expected W/L was 41-41. They literally set the record for worst win % with a net positive rating.
    I don't care about expected W/L record, the actual W/L is what counts.

The Spurs don't have a go to scorer who can reliably hit the big shot in a close game.

They are one of the worst teams in the league in regards of lacking all star talent.
    Their top scorer was 31st in the league.

This should be the first thing to address during the draft, need to find a player with future high offensive all star potential.

Best for them to move up a little to have a higher chance to get that type of player.
    Not targeting primarily defensive players with that 9th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of the difference between role player, starter, and All Star is between the ears. Boris Diaw is a nearly perfect example. He had a complete NBA skill set, cleared more on his flip flop cappuccino vertical test than Amare, yet was nothing more than a journeyman. I always thought he could have been All NBA if he burned for the game like the big three did. Nic Batum is another one.

Sochan supposedly has a killer work ethic. That’ll go a long way towards determining his ceiling in a league where talent is the norm.
    Diaw, Batum… while Parker has always been the ultra-compe ive growing up, but was seen as easy-go-lucky by the Spurs on his 1st try out. One wanders how much motivated Dieng is, while having the same skillset as Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris Diaw a journeyman, wow. Guy was a starter in a contending Phoenix team and spurs might not ring in 2014 witthout him, they might not even get past OKC.
    But Boris was a journeyman with all the talent that he has. Don’t get me wrong. I love Boris and yes he was highly instrumental on bringing the beautiful game into fruition with his passing game. But he has the laissez-faire approach to life, and would’ve hang it up after Charlotte, had it not for TP recruiting him. Bruh 7 teams before he got to Spurs, and just look at his body if that’s not someone who enjoys a little too much chocolat croissants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan has the possibility of raising the level of those around him, whether fixing mistakes and improving team defense while he's on the floor or as a connector on offense. The guy busts his ass and tries to get under the skin of opposing players. He's not some guy to stick in the corners.

That may be a role player, but undersells what a role player is.
    I like Sochan and he could be the defensive anchor like Donkey is. And I’ve mentioned before that had Spurs only have one pick on this draft, I’d use it on Sochan. He addresses the immediate defensive PF need and would fit seamlessly in Spurs existing lineup, allowing Keldon to slide to SF with Sochan’s great help defense. BUT Spurs have 4 picks, and I rather they use their 1st pick on an offensive go-to scorer like Davis, who is harder to find in the latter part of the draft than a defensive big. In an ideal workd, I’d get both. And that is the challenge for PATFO how to maneuver getting most from this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's deeper than that though. Their defense was downright atrocious. They should have had a much better +/- than what they had. And the thing above all else that concerns me about this team is that I don't see the current group improving much, which demands that their upcoming draft picks become ball hawks / ball stoppers.

How many times did an opponent quite literally nutbag our defense in route to a career or season high performance?

It was truly pathetic. And it really lowered my view of DJ especially because he routinely got cucked by the league's better PGs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's deeper than that though. Their defense was downright atrocious. They should have had a much better +/- than what they had. And the thing above all else that concerns me about this team is that I don't see the current group improving much, which demands that their upcoming draft picks become ball hawks / ball stoppers.

How many times did an opponent quite literally nutbag our defense in route to a career or season high performance?

It was truly pathetic. And it really lowered my view of DJ especially because he routinely got cucked by the league's better PGs.
    Thing I keep going back to with Sochan is how far out he goes to cover smaller guards, with confidence. Not only does he switch impressively fast and adjust according to who he has, and his help defense is very, very good, he seems supremely confident in guarding smaller guys, making himself extremely large. If there's anything Sochan has, it's belief in himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thing I keep going back to with Sochan is how far out he goes to cover smaller guards, with confidence. Not only does he switch impressively fast and adjust according to who he has, and his help defense is very, very good, he seems supremely confident in guarding smaller guys, making himself extremely large. If there's anything Sochan has, it's belief in himself.
    Agreed. His defense is *special* for a guy that size. And we could *desperately* use a big that could guard 1-4 to raise the collective floor on our overall team defense. Ideally at 9 you're getting someone that's really good offensively too, but Sochan is really really special on the defensive end. So I'd take him in a second there and pat Brian Wright on the back, even though he wouldn't be my top pick at that position depending on availability.

We'll see. The crucial thing is there are so many high ceiling guys in this draft and an argument could be made for lots of them. I'm really high on Dieng there and some others too, but Sochan could make this team better day 1, provided Pop actually allowed him to see the floor. And who knows, perhaps Chip can work miracles once more and make this kid into a deadly shooter. Then...then we'd really have a ing player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. His defense is *special* for a guy that size. And we could *desperately* use a big that could guard 1-4 to raise the collective floor on our overall team defense. Ideally at 9 you're getting someone that's really good offensively too, but Sochan is really really special on the defensive end. So I'd take him in a second there and pat Brian Wright on the back, even though he wouldn't be my top pick at that position depending on availability.

We'll see. The crucial thing is there are so many high ceiling guys in this draft and an argument could be made for lots of them. I'm really high on Dieng there and some others too, but Sochan could make this team better day 1, provided Pop actually allowed him to see the floor. And who knows, perhaps Chip can work miracles once more and make this kid into a deadly shooter. Then...then we'd really have a ing player.
    With his defense, and his offensive connector skill set, he doesn’t need to be a sniper. Even 34-35% 3Gs would make him a weapon.

Thread Information