Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time to sign us some Kyrie Irvings and Ben Simmonses.
    Culture change!
    Right, because there's no middle ground between the two.

Seriously man. Why is it so hard for Spurs fans to understand. This isn’t the old days of guys railing lines and fcking hoes an hour before practice but let these guys breathe.
    In an ideal world, I'd like it to be like the Duncan era forever too, but it's just not realistic.

They're going to have to change with the times or continue to get left behind.

They can start by hiring a young black or biracial coach, but they won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In an ideal world, I'd like it to be like the Duncan era forever too, but it's just not realistic.

Marcus Morris?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the alternative? Continuing to bury their head in the sand because of five rings?

Not being appealing to a majority of the best talent is a major issue, especially in a non glamor market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Um.....Mitch Johnson is both young (35 years old) and biracial/Black. So, that already destroys this point entirely.

And I think they have "lightened up" as far as culture or coaching style is concern. Pop is far more lenient and less of a task master like back in the day.

And they've taken chances on some headcases in the past (does the name Stephen Jackson ring a bell), but are likely more hesitant to bring in that type with how young the roster is. There are probably other guys with similar issues that came by San Antonio, but I cam recall off hand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have access to google?
    I've never given a about Simmons to want to know anything about him. Waste of my time to look it up. I thought he was 6'9".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inane take - bottom line the Spurs front office has been beyond dismal for at least 7 years. They got nothing for the best talent they had, dumped other talent, make questionable draft choices and now got rid of their only star for a series of what will be high draft picks and more mediocre talent.
    Last 5 years. 2017 was when they started to do dumb with the Mills and Gasol extensions. That being said last offseason was ok, so I‘d say they were terrible from 2017 to 2020

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deleted it immediately of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is FREE per his latest tweet. Crazy literally nobody wants to fking be here.

Time for a culture change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get the sense that DJM's expectations for this next season are sky high and we'll find out how "FREE" and "HAPPY" he'll feel if those aren't met.
    That one tweet alone probably cost him some fans: Spurs fans who would have been rooting for him this season but are feeling less enthused about it now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is FREE per his latest tweet. Crazy literally nobody wants to fking be here.

Time for a culture change.
    I get the sense that DJM's expectations for this next season are sky high and we'll find out how "FREE" and "HAPPY" he'll feel if those aren't met.
    That one tweet alone probably cost him some fans: Spurs fans who would have been rooting for him this season but are feeling less enthused about it now
    haha he just gained 100x the amount of fans in a better city on a team that has a chance at some success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main point is that we've seen teams assemble All-star squads only to have it all come crumbling down quickly when they don't meet lofty expectations.
    Just look at the Lakers and Nets right now.
    I think there's a solid chance that things in Atlanta don't meet expectations.
    Even if they are a good team, will they truly contend for a le in the next few years?
    I think beating out the Celtics, Bucks, and Heat will be difficult

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main point is that we've seen teams assemble All-star squads only to have it all come crumbling down quickly when they don't meet lofty expectations.
    Just look at the Lakers and Nets right now.
    I think there's a solid chance that things in Atlanta don't meet expectations.
    Even if they are a good team, will they truly contend for a le in the next few years?
    I think beating out the Celtics, Bucks, and Heat will be difficult
    It doesn’t have to be boom or bust. The same ppl who hate LBJ for being boom or bust have the same mentality towards the rest of the league. ATLs expectations are to be better than last year, that’s it.

Wasn’t it Pop who compared winning a le to chipping away at a rock with an icepick?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um.....Mitch Johnson is both young (35 years old) and biracial/Black. So, that already destroys this point entirely.

And I think they have "lightened up" as far as culture or coaching style is concern. Pop is far more lenient and less of a task master like back in the day.

And they've taken chances on some headcases in the past (does the name Stephen Jackson ring a bell), but are likely more hesitant to bring in that type with how young the roster is. There are probably other guys with similar issues that came by San Antonio, but I cam recall off hand.
    He's an assistant, light skin (colorism unfortunately still exists in the "black community") and more than likely suburban. He probably doesn't relate to someone like Murray much more than Pop does.

You're shooting the messenger. I'm not defending these brats/divas, I'm just saying this is the reality so it's either adapt or die.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's an assistant, light skin (colorism unfortunately still exists in the "black community") and more than likely suburban. He probably doesn't relate to someone like Murray much more than Pop does.

You're shooting the messenger. I'm not defending these brats/divas, I'm just saying this is the reality so it's either adapt or die.
    It’s not even about race anymore. Guys that got it out the mud might be rough around the edges elsewhere. Who gives AF.

In society we push diversity for many reasons including the synergies that accompany different ppl coming together for the same common goal. PATFO pushes diversity in that you can look different but still need to be a robot. It’s pure hypocrisy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free? That’s funny! Spurs will be laughing all the way to the bank on this one this was the best
    Time to say adios to DJ; I wish him much success just with us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a really good point. We saw DJM express a chip on his shoulder last season at being the first time he was the #1 option, and he seemed to have a lot of pride in that. But I'd say that DDR was way more deferential than Trae will be in Atlanta. We'll see how FREE and HAPPY DJM is when Trae rolls down the court and starts chucking logo 3s without DJM ever getting a chance to even touch the ball.

I still want DJM to succeed, but this pairing in ATL has a lot of boom/bust potential.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still want DJM to succeed, but this pairing in ATL has a lot of boom/bust potential.
    I agree, and that's exactly what the Spurs want. If the Hawks turn into busts by 2025 those unprotected picks and the unprotected swap are going to be extremely valuable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dog, he has worked his way up the staff, could end up like James Barrego, Will Hardy and Chad Forcier (not yet) as sought after young coaches.

I wouldn't assume anything about his upbringing or background based on skin complexion. Anyway, they do need a young coach/voice (that we agree on), unfortunately that isn't happening until Pop hangs them up.

At least the team is going in a younger direction (finally), will actually start drafting in the top 5 of the lottery and will hopefully find their next franchise player soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dog, he has worked his way up the staff, could end up like James Barrego, Will Hardy and Chad Forcier (not yet) as sought after young coaches.

I wouldn't assume anything about his upbringing or background based on skin complexion. Anyway, they do need a young coach/voice (that we agree on), unfortunately that isn't happening until Pop hangs them up.

At least the team is going in a younger direction (finally), will actually start drafting in the top 5 of the lottery and will hopefully find their next franchise player soon.
    I'm not knocking Johnson nor am I assuming anything, which is why I said "more than likely" and "probably".

If you look at the coaches who supposedly relate best to players, they're ones who aren't overly old and speak their language so to speak. Even in the national media, the ones who have the most access to them, same thing. It's not a coincidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well good riddance

So who's saying this IG baller was Spurs for Life? . Again the guy's all talk, not very Spursy. And I'm sure the PATFO considered that and I doubt they would've given him the max. Not the player to build around on, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the culture will change once we got the coke sniffing coach who ed his players girlfriend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the culture will change once we got the coke sniffing coach who ed his players girlfriend
    He sounds like he is winning to me!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just because? that get the best that's out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not knocking Johnson nor am I assuming anything, which is why I said "more than likely" and "probably".

If you look at the coaches who supposedly relate best to players, they're ones who aren't overly old and speak their language so to speak. Even in the national media, the ones who have the most access to them, same thing. It's not a coincidence.
    I got you, man. I think for the first time ever on here we are on the same page team - wise. I was just stating that they do have a young, Black coach, but I get that you meant as a head coach.

That may or may not be in the cards. My thing is finding and cultivating the (elite) talent that we clearly lack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derek Fisher? Who are you referencing with this remark?

Thread Information