Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone gets it...this is all fools gold... We beat a Boston team without their best player, and got lucky vs the Bucks... We aren't good... All this does is make us stand Pat when we KNOW we need to make trades... This is how mediocre teams stay mediocre... What are we doing here? Building around an old LMA and DDR? Come on now
    get off Kawhi's you clown

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Lonnie is in the rotation there is hope...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems everything turns on a dime when Forbes plays bad. Walker over Beli has been helpful, but I hate to say it, but the guy who makes us win or lose is Forbes because of the number of minutes he plays.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, perhaps we could’ve been a fifth seed instead of our ceiling being a 7th seed with over half the season gone and too many losses.
    36 games is less than 41 which would be the halfway point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only 4 more straight wins and we are a .500 team!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need the spurs to get at least 48 wins this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need the spurs to get at least 48 wins this year
    Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas bet. ing stupid I shouldn’t have done it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Up to this point he is better statistically. You can see that Lonnie has a higher ceiling due to his size and athleticism. Up to now Bryn’s stats are better, and he has gotten those stats against starting lineups, which tends to depress them.

Here are our 4 shooting guards: (assuming DDR is a 3 and Derrick White is a 1)
    Player. WinShares/48 (up to Jan 7)
    Patty Mills .098
    Bryn Forbes. .041
    Lonnie Walker .015
    Marco Belinelli .000

Pop has mostly played the top two, with Patty as the sparkplug off the bench. They get similar minutes. Recent stats will probably look better for Lonnie since he is new and learning fast, but there is nothing there to suggest that the coaches are senile. I would expect Lonnie to be starting in the near future if those trends continue.
    Meaningless. The sample size for Lonnie is way too small. His WS/48 (random stat to use as proof btw) that you posted jumped up to .035 overnight, for example.

Lonnie doesn't just have the much higher ceiling but he's also currently much better. One is a two-way player, with an NBA body and elite athleticism. The other guy is short, slow, can't jump, has a short wingspan. Those physical limitations make him the worst defender in the league and make him struggle to get his shot off. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, Marco sucks, but he has historically made big shots, so you don’t want to keep him totally shut down. You may need him to make a big shot.
    You absolutely want Marco totally shut down. A "big shot" here or there doesn't even come close to making up for all his other deficiencies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even at their peak, they still aren't anything better than the Dallas/OKC/Utah level(at best), but they should be better than their current record.

Pop was just testing out, as usual. Everybody wanted him to retire 2 weeks ago
    I wanted him gone before season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well with the spurs current record and upcoming road games, if the spurs do end up making the playoffs it’s because they are playing well on the road which would be a great thing heading to the playoffs since we’ll have to win on the road. But obviously if we fold over and lose then we won’t make playoffs which will be good I guess for our lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would've took spurstalk 1 week into the season to see that Bryn Forbes and Belinelli were major liabilities pop over did it playing his pets and it cost them a lot of games
    And yet, there you are posting on fan board while dude is a 5 time NBA champion still coaching in NBA team... Go figure.

Just send a best of your takes to spurs FO to show how so much smarter you are than Pop.They should be impressed and give you the job right away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet, there you are posting on fan board while dude is a 5 time NBA champion still coaching in NBA team... Go figure.

Just send a best of your takes to spurs FO to show how so much smarter you are than Pop.They should be impressed and give you the job right away.
    5 time NBA champion though there he is playing the worst defensive players in the NBA all at the same time, what a goddamn genius. I could send a best of takes of all of spurstalk the last few years and they'd be embarrassed of how wrong they were and right we were

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 time NBA champion though there he is playing the worst defensive players in the NBA all at the same time, what a goddamn genius. I could send a best of takes of all of spurstalk the last few years and they'd be embarrassed of how wrong they were and right we were
    Wow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? You wanna start with the signing's of Pau, Belinelli, Carroll, Mills? Playing Bryn Forbes 3rd most minutes on the team? Trading kawhi and Danny Green for a mentally weak flawed player?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Up to this point he is better statistically. ...
    (Concerning Forbes vs Walker.)

Not true. That is, you can find stats like that, but you can also find the reverse. As a blanket statement it is not correct.

PER (Player Efficiency Rating) is an established stat, and it should be kinder to Forbes than Lonnie since it's largely based on offensive performance. However, Lonnie has a higher PER.

Spurs' PER from basketballreference.com at this time. (League average is 15.00 exactly because of how it's calculated.)

Aldridge, 21.3
    (For fans of the most trivial trivia, that is identical to Tim Duncan's PER during the 2013-14 season. Stats can be curious.)

DeRozan, 20.6

Poeltl, 18.5

Dejounte Murray, 17.9

Rudy, 15.7

Wombat, 15.1

Derrick White, 14.7

Walker, 12.9

Lyles, 12.4

Forbes, 11.1

Belinelli, 7.9

By his PER, Beli is now worth 53% of the average NBA player. He should be provided with his own monogrammed chair in the bench area. Also get him some popcorn and a beer so he can be comfortable watching the games.

... but there is nothing there to suggest that the coaches are senile. ...
    There are some things that suggest one coach might be.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I’m saying the people commenting don’t know how to coach basketball and are not aware of the reasons why good coaches do what they do. RPM is also a bad stat. Look at the list of best players by RPM. It is ridiculous. Donte DiVencenzo? Dennis Schroder? Give me a break.
    It’s fine to analyze stats but the reasons for allocating playing time are many and complicated. People get tired, they need prodding to play the right way. Some are playing bad but have good potential. Some have particular skills that you need in certain cir stances. The big complaint I hear is that Bryn is playing over Lonnie. For the season, Bryn’s stats are better than Lonnie’s. I suspect that has changed in recent games due to Lonnie’s improved play, and what do you know, Lonnie’s playing more now.
    Alright Naismith, please educate us on why Pop spent the first half of the season giving us that Forbes/Mills/Ferrari lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If y'all want to compare Walker's and Forbes' stats, how about cutting out all the time Walker has played in garbage time? That has most likely to do with his inflated stats

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas bet. ing stupid I shouldn’t have done it
    I took the under. Easiest bet I've ever made

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright Naismith, please educate us on why Pop spent the first half of the season giving us that Forbes/Mills/Ferrari lineup.
    I dont know, maybe because 48 minutes of basketball is less than 10% of what we actually see when these basketball players do their jobs??? Its not like they practice or anything... Its not like they have meetings or anything... Its not like they have discussions in the locker room or anything...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet, there you are... Don't forget us when you get that NBA GM gig.
    Last edited by JPB; 01-09-2020 at 02:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao i doubt this dude can even coach a 5th grade basketball team. This applies to a lot of posters on here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let me get this straight, on a fan message board I can't question pop or anything he does cause he's never been wrong before? He's always made the right moves as has this front office? Is that what you want on spurs talk? You want me to grovel and kiss his ass like you do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let me get this straight, on a fan message board I can't question pop or anything he does cause he's never been wrong before? He's always made the right moves as has this front office? Is that what you want on spurs talk? You want me to grovel and kiss his ass like you do?
    the sniffers are back in full force like the roaches that they are. Just biding their time in the shadows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the sniffers are back in full force like the roaches that they are. Just biding their time in the shadows.
    Pathetic bunch, they're the same type of people pop hates to have on his coaching staff. Agreeable and complacent folk.

Thread Information