Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between the barrage of overpriced merino sweaters from Buck Mason on Congress to the horror of a bachelorette pedal party to the utter that is the outdoor mall in the Seaholm district, can you blame him?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Crime way up during the "defund campaign". Not predictable at all.
    Whining en led cops decided to quit working because their feefees were hurted

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mornin' fart face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC knows* the way he's looking at this is bad faith. you could also look at homicides or any violent crime and see that it's mostly committed by poorer people. or mostly committed by men. violent crime rates can also track with population density.

ergo

most men voted for trump. men commit 80+ % of the murders. therefore murderers support trump.

*for whatever reason i tend to give DMC more credit than people like derp or Qhris. undeservedly at this point
    Except for 2 things

1. You can increase the resolution by having another variable. In this case the FBI provided it.
    2. I couldn't care less what "credit" you give me since I never applied for any.

And speaking of poor people, how many wealthy folks have committed mass murder (politicians notwithstanding)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except for 2 things

1. You can increase the resolution by having another variable. In this case the FBI provided it.
    2. I couldn't care less what "credit" you give me since I never applied for any.
    the only variable you looked at was race though. black people commit x % of murder. i can do the same by socioeconomic class, by gender, by geography, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could probably apply to a police academy and show them what the face of bravery and sacrifice looks like. You know, set an example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only variable you looked at was race though. black people commit x % of murder. i can do the same by socioeconomic class, by gender, by geography, etc
    I wasn't looking for anything but political party. Others decided to make it about race. I only found a connection between a certain reported demographic for homicide vs the same demographic for voting. You can do all that other stuff if you like, but 55% is 55%. If someone got 55% of the vote you'd call it a landslide victory.

I wasn't even looking at crime, just homicide because WH was touting mass murders. Deaths are deaths.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't looking for anything but political party. Others decided to make it about race. I only found a connection between a certain reported demographic for homicide vs the same demographic for voting. You can do all that other stuff if you like, but 55% is 55%. If someone got 55% of the vote you'd call it a landslide victory.

I wasn't even looking at crime, just homicide because WH was touting mass murders. Deaths are deaths.
    this is false. the only rate you posted was homicide by race. unless i missed the FBI statistic you provided of cide rate by political party.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is false. the only rate you posted was homicide by race.
    posed as an equivalent to mass murders by right wing extremists in the US

“90% voted for Biden”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is false. the only rate you posted was homicide by race. unless i missed the FBI statistic you provided of cide rate by political party.
    Not true.

I showed 90% democrat as well.

So, 90% of demographic A votes democratic in an election. Demographic A commits 55% of homicides. It then stands to reason that democrats commit most homicides. It could have been any race, if that race happened to have the lion's share homicides. Could have been white women, and if they voted for democrats at that high of a clip then I'd say whatever ideology causes them to vote democrat could also be in play to cause them to kill more often.

You just don't like the facts.

If you really wanted to argue against it, you'd say there's no way to know what percentage of the convicted murderers (not all homicides are murders) were registered to vote prior to their felonies, and of those how many actually voted. Registration isn't support. Only voting is support, would you agree?

But since you cannot show that black murderers would be less inclined to register than would white murderers, we can cancel that variable on both sides.

The likely truth is that people who commit these acts aren't doing them for political reasons, with some exceptions. You can use cause vs correlation fallacies all you like and it's the norm here to do so if it benefits your argument.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true.

I showed 90% democrat as well.

So, 90% of demographic A votes democratic in an election. Demographic A commits 55% of homicides. It then stands to reason that democrats commit most homicides. It could have been any race, if that race happened to have the lion's share homicides. Could have been white women, and if they voted for democrats at that high of a clip then I'd say whatever ideology causes them to vote democrat could also be in play to cause them to kill more often.

You just don't like the facts.

If you really wanted to argue against it, you'd say there's no way to know what percentage of the convicted murderers (not all homicides are murders) were registered to vote prior to their felonies, and of those how many actually voted. Registration isn't support. Only voting is support, would you agree?

But since you cannot show that black murderers would be less inclined to register than would white murderers, we can cancel that variable on both sides.

The likely truth is that people who commit these acts aren't doing them for political reasons, with some exceptions. You can use cause vs correlation fallacies all you like and it's the norm here to do so if it benefits your argument.
    and voter participation for black people is something like 2/3. and of those homicides, a vast majority of them are committed by people under 35, an age population with a low voter participation rate as well. absent voter participation, its hard to know if the people you are referring to even have relevant political engagement or any actual positions of domestic/foreign policy to the point where there is anything of political significance

so you cant just make a 1:1 conversion like you are trying to do.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You could probably apply to a police academy and show them what the face of bravery and sacrifice looks like. You know, set an example.
    Spare me the "back the blue" dogma. It's not like most cops join the force out of some great moral obligation to bravely serve the community.

The ones who are scared of everyone they pull over for a broken taillight should either (1) find a new line of work, or (2) work with those who are pushing for police reform (which might actually make their jobs less dangerous) instead of against them at the goading of their unions and conservative fear mongers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spare me the "back the blue" dogma. It's not like most cops join the force out of some great moral obligation to bravely serve the community.

The ones who are scared of everyone they pull over for a broken taillight should either (1) find a new line of work, or (2) work with those who are pushing for police reform (which might actually make their jobs less dangerous) instead of against them at the goading of their unions and conservative fear mongers.
    Cops bad again

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between the barrage of overpriced merino sweaters from Buck Mason on Congress to the horror of a bachelorette pedal party to the utter that is the outdoor mall in the Seaholm district, can you blame him?
    I have overheard New York transplants downtown bemoaning the lack of high end shopping in Austin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most men voted for trump. men commit 80+ % of the murders. therefore murderers support trump.
    While DMC made a similar implication, he was clear not to make the claim, “therefore murderers support trump”.

That what he does. And, then he whines about people putting words in his mouth while filling in the gaps he intentionally leaves because he knows the logic isn’t sound. He’s not interested in honest debate. He’s an troll who gets off on the internet rodeo.

I imagine you afford him more leeway because he’s usually smart enough to take grossly illogical positions, but he is a tired old troll nonetheless.
    Last edited by Th'Pusher; 06-01-2021 at 06:15 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While DMC made a similar implication, he was clear not to make the claim, “therefore murderers support trump”.

That what he does. And, then he whines about people putting words in his mouth while filling in the gaps he intentionally leaves because he knows the logic isn’t sound. He’s not interested in honest debate. He’s an troll who gets off on the internet rodeo.

I imagine you afford him more leeway because he’s usually smart enough to take grossly illogical positions, but his a tired old troll nonetheless.
    its probably just because he's more articulate than the derps/Qhris's of the world but the content beneath the wording is often just as simple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and voter participation for black people is something like 2/3. and of those homicides, a vast majority of them are committed by people under 35, an age population with a low voter participation rate as well. absent voter participation, its hard to know if the people you are referring to even have relevant political engagement or any actual positions of domestic/foreign policy to the point where there is anything of political significance

so you cant just make a 1:1 conversion like you are trying to do.
    This is why I say "likely". The odds favor it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why I say "likely". The odds favor it.
    do you think the average 22 yo gangbanger who murders someone on the street bases those decisions to kill on a political ideology around the democratic platform? i dont see the link between the violence and the alleged political leaning, as opposed to a gy like McVeigh who was acting out of revenge for Waco and Ruby Ridge?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you think the average 22 yo gangbanger who murders someone on the street bases those decisions to kill on a political ideology around the democratic platform? i dont see the link between the violence and the alleged political leaning, as opposed to a gy like McVeigh who was acting out of revenge for Waco and Ruby Ridge?
    Do you think the guy who shot up Walmart was thinking about lowering taxes on businesses, improving our military, infrastructure, foreign policies?

Revenge isn't a political motive. Revenge is simply a reckoning, has nothing to do with the politics of either party and the actions taken at Ruby Ridge and in Waco were more in line with conservative values than liberal ones. Liberal values would have them talk to the BD's for weeks, or maybe even pay them. At Ruby Ridge, it wouldn't have been to shoot indiscriminately. In fact, they wouldn't have approached at all. They would have simply sent a message and hoped for the best.

The FBI doesn't indicate that the offenders were 22 year old gang bangers. Everyone in that Walmart could have been conservative. It was Walmart after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have overheard New York transplants downtown bemoaning the lack of high end shopping in Austin
    Then they haven't been to the Arboretum, same strip mall merchandise at exclusive white folk prices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think the guy who shot up Walmart was thinking about lowering taxes on businesses, improving our military, infrastructure, foreign policies?
    those aren't the only potential political motives. killing somebody because they tried to short you on a drug deal is different from shooting civilians because of your outrage at how you believe your government has been prioritizing other people over your preferred race or whatnot. to be frank, i dont know enough about the recent aspiring walmart shooter or what his motives were

Revenge isn't a political motive. Revenge is simply a reckoning, has nothing to do with the politics of either party and the actions taken at Ruby Ridge and in Waco were more in line with conservative values than liberal ones. Liberal values would have them talk to the BD's for weeks, or maybe even pay them. At Ruby Ridge, it wouldn't have been to shoot indiscriminately. In fact, they wouldn't have approached at all. They would have simply sent a message and hoped for the best.

The FBI doesn't indicate that the offenders were 22 year old gang bangers. Everyone in that Walmart could have been conservative. It was Walmart after all.
    i couldn't disagree with this more. revenge might be political in nature, it might not be. OJ murdering his wife and lover was an act of revenge, but not seemingly political. bin laden orchestrating the 9/11 attacks was ostensibly one for revenge but for overtly political reasons

they certainly arent mutually exclusive concepts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those aren't the only potential political motives. killing somebody because they tried to short you on a drug deal is different from shooting civilians because of your outrage at how you believe your government has been prioritizing other people over your preferred race or whatnot. to be frank, i dont know enough about the recent aspiring walmart shooter or what his motives were

i couldn't disagree with this more. revenge might be political in nature, it might not be. OJ murdering his wife and lover was an act of revenge, but not seemingly political. bin laden orchestrating the 9/11 attacks was ostensibly one for revenge but for overtly political reasons

they certainly arent mutually exclusive concepts
    Most people can have at least one thing they agree with relating to the party opposite the one they support. Crazy people can take things to the extreme. A guy who wants to kill a lot of people can find a lot of reasons to do so, but when they finally decide to do it, they rarely go after the target of their angst. The guy who shot up the baseball game is an exception. The guy who shot up the theater in Aurora wasn't even registered to vote, his motives were more Batman than anything else, he was ing nuts. When this happens, people run to see what cause vs correlation ties they can make to get points for their side. When they find out the person was registered with the same party they are, it's suddenly no longer about politics.

If you're going to say the OKC bomber had a political motive, why would he request to be executed so fast? Why not stick it out to see what happens? It was revenge, plain and simple. Did he want to send a message? You bet, but a lot of revenge acts send a message (drive by shootings, for example). Just because he targeted a federal building doesn't mean he had a political motive, or that he was trying to change the way the feds react to incidents. He was showing that there will be consequences when you kill 80 or so mostly innocent civilians. There will always be a few who are willing to die to repay a debt. You see the guy in Dallas shoot up police. He wasn't making a political point, he was saying individually to these officers, you're not as untouchable as you think.

You cannot just have the revenge motive be political because it suits your argument. Neither of the folks I mentioned were political figures. No one they targeted were political figures. Everyone they targeted were figures of authority that they felt had overstepped their bounds.

The only reason you want it to be political is so you can say it's a problem with the party you rail against. This is old ground, you're just going back over it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC saying McVeigh wasn't political.

He's dug himself deeper each time I check this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did all that sound good in your head, DMC?

What a stupid pile of horse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suicide bombers can’t be political because they didn’t want to stick around and see how things played out

Thread Information