Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rid of a borderline allstar does not mean that the Spurs are going to tank this year. Without injuries to other voted in allstar players, DJM would not be an allstar YET. It's not like the Spurs got rid of a top tier player to suggest a tank move in the works. If they are tanking, they were already tanking, which they weren't.

Going to be better ball movement this year with Tre and Primo running the point. Not saying that the Spurs will have a better record than last year, but I don't believe it's going to be that far off to consider it tanking. In the grand scheme of things, letting go off DJM could very well mean addition by subtraction!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think its strange that we have not heard much about even attempting to trade Poeltl. If we are indeed tanking that seems like the obvious move to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting rid of a borderline allstar does not mean that the Spurs are going to tank this year. Without injuries to other voted in allstar players, DJM would not be an allstar YET. It's not like the Spurs got rid of a top tier player to suggest a tank move in the works. If they are tanking, they were already tanking, which they weren't.

Going to be better ball movement this year with Tre and Primo running the point. Not saying that the Spurs will have a better record than last year, but I don't believe it's going to be that far off to consider it tanking. In the grand scheme of things, letting go off DJM could very well mean addition by subtraction!
    If you look at all moves this off-season are tanking. Especially
    if JRich and Jak are moved. Which I hope they are.

We will be a bottom 5 team through AS break for sure. The real barometer will be how the Spurs react when other teams experiencing injuries, internal drama etc who are u unlikely to make a playoff push respond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think its strange that we have not heard much about even attempting to trade Poeltl. If we are indeed tanking that seems like the obvious move to make.
    Spurs don’t generally leak a lot, but timvp said Poeltl will likely be moved before the season. That was during the flurry of signings and trades at the beginning of the FA period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don’t generally leak a lot, but timvp said Poeltl will likely be moved before the season. That was during the flurry of signings and trades at the beginning of the FA period.
    Assuming that is true (and timvp usually gets his facts straight), maybe the right deal just wasn't there. It doesn't make sense to trade Poeltl just for the sake of doing so...he may net a better return during the season or before the trade deadline.

It will be up to Pop to manage his minutes accordingly to showcase him without affecting the W/L column too much...but let's face it, Jakob isn't one of those guys who is going to go win you games by himself.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs are trying to move Poeltl, but aren't shopping him openly in case they can't get what they want for him. They clearly haven't yet gotten an offer worth taking.

Carrying him into the season is less than ideal because he's expiring. And he's only slightly more likely to sign an extension than Dejounte was (1% vs 0%).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming that is true (and timvp usually gets his facts straight), maybe the right deal just wasn't there. It doesn't make sense to trade Poeltl just for the sake of doing so...he may net a better return during the season or before the trade deadline.

It will be up to Pop to manage his minutes accordingly to showcase him without affecting the W/L column too much...but let's face it, Jakob isn't one of those guys who is going to go win you games by himself.
    If I’m remembering correctly, they already had an offer or offers with picks, plural, but were trying to work him into a deal for an unprotected FRP, which they value much more highly than regular FRPs. I don’t think this will drag on too long, as training camp is weeks away. A team that will value and use Jak will be a good team, and will want to have their roster set for training camp, sort of a soft deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I’m remembering correctly, they already had an offer or offers with picks, plural, but were trying to work him into a deal for an unprotected FRP, which they value much more highly than regular FRPs. I don’t think this will drag on too long, as training camp is weeks away. A team that will value and use Jak will be a good team, and will want to have their roster set for training camp, sort of a soft deadline.
    Jak will not get you an unprotected or lightly protected FRP unless you are taking a seriously bad contract back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I still think the most likely trade is probably something like Poeltl and a 2nd for Birch, Flynn and two protected 1sts (top 10 or lottery?).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We aren’t tanking at all. We will just suck. There’s a difference. But either way we will have the 5th best record in the NBA. Some franchises are just trash. I mean in the West I see us above Hou, OKC, and Sacto and probably add Utah to the list. Just gotta hope that Indy is the really only trash trash team in the East
    Last edited by KobesAchilles; 08-04-2022 at 12:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs don't necessarily have to "tank". with the west being as deep as it is, they are going to lose a lot of games. and we still don't know what the final roster is going to look like.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston and OKC should be better than us with talent, but they will likely lean into the tank for at least one more season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't see a tank job. The team likely saw Dejounte going elsewhere before long. A market opened up and they sold sooner, perhaps, than intended, but were happy with the picks. Along with the White trade, they're refashioning on the fly, moving assets that will get too expensive versus current and perceived future value.

At this point, I'd be surprised to see Poeltl traded. I don't see the team going into the season with only an old Dieng and a Collins coming off foot surgery as centers. The young players need a good defensive backdrop in order to learn how to play on that end of the court. Richardson is another matter. Right now I don't feel there's much interest in him... actually, I think the market has cooled for Poeltl, at least at this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't see a tank job. The team likely saw Dejounte going elsewhere before long. A market opened up and they sold sooner, perhaps, than intended, but were happy with the picks. Along with the White trade, they're refashioning on the fly, moving assets that will get too expensive versus current and perceived future value.

At this point, I'd be surprised to see Poeltl traded. I don't see the team going into the season with only an old Dieng and a Collins coming off foot surgery as centers. The young players need a good defensive backdrop in order to learn how to play on that end of the court. Richardson is another matter. Right now I don't feel there's much interest in him... actually, I think the market has cooled for Poeltl, at least at this time.
    It’s interesting to note that in a period less than 5 months, our FRPs for 2016,2017, and 2018 are gone.

Collins isn’t coming off foot surgery. That was last year. Between Austin and San Antonio, he played a solid 4 months of his physical basketball style.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is to move forward with the future PG that they can build around. And it’s not DJ. His game is flawed. He is twitter-happy. And he seems to bite your hand when cornered. I think PATFO was convinced he’s not the guy. And he’s butt-hurt. PATFO got a haul for him at the best opportunity to unload. Win-Win.

But I don’t agree that DJ’s game is addition by subtraction. Despite the flaw on his game, the guy still averages 21 pts which they will miss. In the long run, yes! His style of play (ball hog iso’s) is not conducive to motion offense which is this team/Pop is high on. I’ve mentioned DJ as a “system player”, someone who can be replaced in due time. Pop has been successful to put DJ (or any player) in a situation to succeed (or su iously to pad stats to get a good haul). I argue that Tre on occasions flirted with triple-doubles in the same system. Pop likewise made Demar a better passer/facilitator. I’m convinced Pop can develop Blake/Primo to be credible facilitators, likewise the same with Sochan.

Which brings me to the young core. They are hand selected, seemingly perfect, to fit the positions better as a team, in contrast to the flawed roster brought by Nephew sabotaging possible good returns. Since then, PATFO has been trying to patch leaks, but finally decided to tear it down to build it up. 4 years late, but I’ll take it. Now Spurs have a clearer vision. Blake shows tenacity like Parker as both a scorer and a willing passer. Malaki is a 3D scorer much like Manu. Sochan is a defensive-minded big mobile who can facilitate. And Barlow seems to have a future as an athletic modern day C who has range. Add that to Primo, Devin, Keldon and Tre. (And I’m not losing hope on Weiskamp who has the range and athleticism to make it). And it’s a solid roster, at least on paper. Now it’s time to hone those and develop to NBA players.

Don’t get the wrong impression that the Spurs will be throwing games because of youth. Pop will be demanding the young core to compete every-single-play. It’s not going to be the Rockets hoisting 3’s and not playing D. They will compete. But we all know, because of inexperience, they will not win a lot of W’s. But they will develop playing right basketball, while getting great position to draft high pick(s) next Summer. It will be a growing pain in 2-3 years, until they get a solid core. Then I expect PATFO to get aggressive on a possible FA(s) or trade come 3-4th year to complete the puzzle.

J-Rich, Poeltl and McD are definitely getting moved at the right price, and that means the right time. There’s potential 2-3 FRP’s there and possibly unloading McD contract.

At least that’s my read. Or I could be wrong and wasted 30 minutes of my time writing this on my phone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s interesting to note that in a period less than 5 months, our FRPs for 2016,2017, and 2018 are gone.

Collins isn’t coming off foot surgery. That was last year. Between Austin and San Antonio, he played a solid 4 months of his physical basketball style.
    At least we got hauls on DJ and Derrick. It’s Lonnie and (you forgot) Samanic who could be viewed as wasted picks. 4 FRP’s picks in a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can see J-Rich and Poeltl staying just long enough to help the young core playing a semblance of NBA basketball, but would be moved by trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from what we saw in summer league, we are clearly tanking if they insist on primo being a point guard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20 wins or 30 this team is going to suck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I would still count Collins as not clear from injury risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13 and 15 for Jak, tbh...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly tanking and this is just the beginning cause we going to need to replace the young players with potential that we got when they don't want to sign a second contract with the spurs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jak will not get you an unprotected or lightly protected FRP unless you are taking a seriously bad contract back.
    I don’t see how Poeltl isn’t worth an unprotected pick. He is a 9th pick himself. He is also a 9th pick that worked out. Idk what the odds are for top 10 picks being as good as he is but it can’t be over 30-35% right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is to move forward with the future PG that they can build around. And it’s not DJ. His game is flawed. He is twitter-happy. And he seems to bite your hand when cornered. I think PATFO was convinced he’s not the guy. And he’s butt-hurt. PATFO got a haul for him at the best opportunity to unload. Win-Win.

But I don’t agree that DJ’s game is addition by subtraction. Despite the flaw on his game, the guy still averages 21 pts which they will miss. In the long run, yes! His style of play (ball hog iso’s) is not conducive to motion offense which is this team/Pop is high on. I’ve mentioned DJ as a “system player”, someone who can be replaced in due time. Pop has been successful to put DJ (or any player) in a situation to succeed (or su iously to pad stats to get a good haul). I argue that Tre on occasions flirted with triple-doubles in the same system. Pop likewise made Demar a better passer/facilitator. I’m convinced Pop can develop Blake/Primo to be credible facilitators, likewise the same with Sochan.

Which brings me to the young core. They are hand selected, seemingly perfect, to fit the positions better as a team, in contrast to the flawed roster brought by Nephew sabotaging possible good returns. Since then, PATFO has been trying to patch leaks, but finally decided to tear it down to build it up. 4 years late, but I’ll take it. Now Spurs have a clearer vision. Blake shows tenacity like Parker as both a scorer and a willing passer. Malaki is a 3D scorer much like Manu. Sochan is a defensive-minded big mobile who can facilitate. And Barlow seems to have a future as an athletic modern day C who has range. Add that to Primo, Devin, Keldon and Tre. (And I’m not losing hope on Weiskamp who has the range and athleticism to make it). And it’s a solid roster, at least on paper. Now it’s time to hone those and develop to NBA players.

Don’t get the wrong impression that the Spurs will be throwing games because of youth. Pop will be demanding the young core to compete every-single-play. It’s not going to be the Rockets hoisting 3’s and not playing D. They will compete. But we all know, because of inexperience, they will not win a lot of W’s. But they will develop playing right basketball, while getting great position to draft high pick(s) next Summer. It will be a growing pain in 2-3 years, until they get a solid core. Then I expect PATFO to get aggressive on a possible FA(s) or trade come 3-4th year to complete the puzzle.

J-Rich, Poeltl and McD are definitely getting moved at the right price, and that means the right time. There’s potential 2-3 FRP’s there and possibly unloading McD contract.

At least that’s my read. Or I could be wrong and wasted 30 minutes of my time writing this on my phone
    Anytime spent on spurstalk is wasting our time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least we got hauls on DJ and Derrick. It’s Lonnie and (you forgot) Samanic who could be viewed as wasted picks. 4 FRP’s picks in a year.
    Lonnie will probably make a place for himself in the league as a bench scorer, so only Sammich, who was admittedly a big swing for the fences, was a fail.

Thread Information