Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are two things going on though and they’re getting confused here: Toronto’s interest in acquiring him and Spurs interest in moving him. Right now we only of the first. I suspect that if the spurs are willing to part with him, there would be multiple teams interested including the Warriors who view the Looney spot as their biggest vulnerability. So why entertain a meh TOR’s offer at this point as opposed to insist on something better?

As I said earlier, perhaps the best thing that can comes from this credible rumor is that is spurs other teams to inquire too.
    We're not talking about whether the Spurs will trade Poeltl or not. Not really. We can't control that. We're talking about what kind of return makes sense. So who asked or doesn't really matter. Winning the deal doesn't matter. Is Poeltl worth more than a decent first-rounder? I don't know. At the beginning of the year, he obviously seemed like it. But he hasn't played like he's even a positive player, let alone worth a big return. His contract isn't that great. The NBA doesn't have a linear value system. There are obviously plenty of worse values out there, but guys like Gobert who make four times as much are worth it, and there are guys making the minimum who are serviceable. The only real benefit of Poeltl's contract on the trade market is the relative ease teams will have in matching his salary.

I do think other teams will be interested, but I don't believe there'd be anything like the bidding war some fans are assuming. But the Spurs can (and in my opinion should) completely reevaluate their roster and what their path toward compe iveness should be. In my opinion, it needs to involve aggressive trades, drafting a good player, signing a top free agent and then trading for the finishing piece. Clinging to low-ceiling guys just because they aren't awful won't get it done. Does that mean let guys go for nothing? No. It does mean not really thinking that keeping the players is a desirable outcome though. The Spurs should be looking to move on from Poeltl based on philosophy alone before even getting into the other stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine the field day Spurstalk would have if we did trade him. “We can’t win without him! I mean yeah we aren’t winning with him but we would be a bottom team in the league if we lose him!” Casually ignore we are picking 7th btw

Also Jak really helping that value with his recent play
    I'm telling you. With the right stars aligning, he could be the starting center on a competing Spurs teams. But there are probably 50 centers in or about to enter the league who can say the same thing. You don't need to have a "great value" center to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would the Spurs not pay to keep him? You want to depend on broken down Zollins who has never shown anything since coming into the league in 2017?
    He is going to want a payday and the question is are we in a position to pay it? He's paying like a top center right now which means he will be looking for near max money. He fits alongside DJ right now but do you see him still being viable when primo and Vassel hit their primes? Wouldn't it make more sense to get an asset for him now and look to build around them with those assets and freed up money?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl wanting to get a payday is being way overstated. He hasn’t accomplished much in this league and for all the great things he does, he hasn’t kept it up for a full season. And probably the biggest factor of them all— the team isn’t winning for him to say he’s an important player during contract negotiations. Poeltl is going to paid what he’s worth, and it won’t be an overpay. Spurs will probably lowball him again and he will accept it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl can be a fine starter on a compe ive playoff team, but the fact that you have to offset his shortcomings with capable backup players in order to maximize your center rotation is why his future earnings as an NBA player is capped at a lower amount compared to other centers. I’m fine with keeping the dude so that the Spurs focus on the more important NBA positions on their roster. There’s literally no drawback to keeping him, in fact, I could see it as a “culture” thing by the Spurs to keep him. The only reason I could see him go is if they think this version of Poeltl from the last ten games is here to stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm telling you. With the right stars aligning, he could be the starting center on a competing Spurs teams. But there are probably 50 centers in or about to enter the league who can say the same thing. You don't need to have a "great value" center to do it.
    Agree. Spurs are not re-signing him north of 15mil a year. Sell high before his stock goes down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl can be a fine starter on a compe ive playoff team, but the fact that you have to offset his shortcomings with capable backup players in order to maximize your center rotation is why his future earnings as an NBA player is capped at a lower amount compared to other centers. I’m fine with keeping the dude so that the Spurs focus on the more important NBA positions on their roster. There’s literally no drawback to keeping him, in fact, I could see it as a “culture” thing by the Spurs to keep him. The only reason I could see him go is if they think this version of Poeltl from the last ten games is here to stay.
    Not sold on that. He is obviously limited on the offensive front. His defense looks very good statistically. This is because he is in very good spot wrt the current style of the league. He is very good defending the current pick&roll 3 pt shooting offense that most teams in the league are trying to play. However, he is not very good at defending another big man; which is a problem as starter on a compe ive team. There are enough good bigs out there, that teams that are seriously competing need to be able to defend them somewhat... and Jakob doesn't do that. Thus, I would trade him if someone came and offered a decent value for him; he's a regular season player, not a playoff guy (IMO of course).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're not talking about whether the Spurs will trade Poeltl or not. Not really. We can't control that. We're talking about what kind of return makes sense. So who asked or doesn't really matter. Winning the deal doesn't matter. Is Poeltl worth more than a decent first-rounder? I don't know. At the beginning of the year, he obviously seemed like it. But he hasn't played like he's even a positive player, let alone worth a big return. His contract isn't that great. The NBA doesn't have a linear value system. There are obviously plenty of worse values out there, but guys like Gobert who make four times as much are worth it, and there are guys making the minimum who are serviceable. The only real benefit of Poeltl's contract on the trade market is the relative ease teams will have in matching his salary.

I do think other teams will be interested, but I don't believe there'd be anything like the bidding war some fans are assuming. But the Spurs can (and in my opinion should) completely reevaluate their roster and what their path toward compe iveness should be. In my opinion, it needs to involve aggressive trades, drafting a good player, signing a top free agent and then trading for the finishing piece. Clinging to low-ceiling guys just because they aren't awful won't get it done. Does that mean let guys go for nothing? No. It does mean not really thinking that keeping the players is a desirable outcome though. The Spurs should be looking to move on from Poeltl based on philosophy alone before even getting into the other stuff.
    This.
    Poodle sniffers need to observe every game, not just the ones where Poodle is okay - good.
    Houston anyone?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait people think there raptors are actually going to trade for Poeltl

They are interested in trading for Poeltl the same way I was interested in the marvel eternals movie...if it had come to hbo max and i was able to watch it from my own sofa...cool, i will...but since it only came out in theaters...nah not worth the effort to actually get in a car and drive somewhere and risk covid...

If the raptors can get Poeltl for absolutely nothing then sure they are interested...like any other logical team that can get a player for nothing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They are interested in trading for Poeltl the same way I was interested in the marvel eternals movie...if it had come to hbo max and i was able to watch it from my own sofa...cool, i will...but since it only came out in theaters...nah not worth the effort to actually get in a car and drive somewhere and risk covid...

If the raptors can get Poeltl for absolutely nothing then sure they are interested...like any other logical team that can get a player for nothing...
    I responded to a different thread about Poeltl and the Spurstalk love affair. Posters were positive Poeltl would net us a 1st rounder. And seriously if you go through the list, no team would offer us a 1st rounder for him. Toronto doesn’t want him back. If they do and they offer us a 1st then I will eat my words and the Spurs better take the deal. He’s useless to us right now.

I don’t even trust Stein tbh. Dude has been wrong more often than not. He’s the Tspence of espn now that Broussard left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t handle this losing guys, I’m gonna break lol I wish the spurs would make their mark somehow if we’re gonna trade guys for picks do it, if we’re gonna try to get better then do it!!
    Phoenix was in the wilderness for 10 years. 10 years. I don’t think it will be that long, but we’ve really only had two playins, and then this year. There are no more instant messiahs in the draft. Even if we draw into #1 in this years lottery,it will probably take a couple of years to right the ship. Fast is the worst way to try to do it, mainly because it doesn’t work, and then You’re back at square one. Buckle up. It’s going to be a ride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix was in the wilderness for 10 years. 10 years. I don’t think it will be that long, but we’ve really only had two playins, and then this year. There are no more instant messiahs in the draft. Even if we draw into #1 in this years lottery,it will probably take a couple of years to right the ship. Fast is the worst way to try to do it, mainly because it doesn’t work, and then You’re back at square one. Buckle up. It’s going to be a ride.
    Buckle up? Do you feel the Spurs are finally making a big trade? Collecting assets to trade or build from the draft? I haven’t seen the Spurs making a big trade, not forced on them by that ingrate at least. Of course, Spurs haven’t been in this rebuilding position since Pre-DRob. And to some of the posters here, that’s a lifetime.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is going to want a payday and the question is are we in a position to pay it? He's paying like a top center right now which means he will be looking for near max money. He fits alongside DJ right now but do you see him still being viable when primo and Vassel hit their primes? Wouldn't it make more sense to get an asset for him now and look to build around them with those assets and freed up money?
    He's not playing like a max player and won't be getting a max contract in two years short of having an allstar season next year. Giving him away for a mediocre pick is re ed. Especially to save capspace so they can sign the next McDermott or Zollins. Even if the Spurs land the next LeBron in the draft they're not going to win without a supporting cast, look at LeBron's first seven years in Cleveland. Poeltl is better than what you'd expect to land with a mid first round pick and he's only 26 so even if he doesn't fit the timeline in three years he'll still likely be very tradeable for an asset that fits better. Anyone on this roster is tradeable but it doesn't just mean you give him away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not playing like a max player and won't be getting a max contract in two years short of having an allstar season next year. Giving him away for a mediocre pick is re ed. Especially to save capspace so they can sign the next McDermott or Zollins. Even if the Spurs land the next LeBron in the draft they're not going to win without a supporting cast, look at LeBron's first seven years in Cleveland. Poeltl is better than what you'd expect to land with a mid first round pick and he's only 26 so even if he doesn't fit the timeline in three years he'll still likely be very tradeable for an asset that fits better. Anyone on this roster is tradeable but it doesn't just mean you give him away.
    Nah he’s not Jarrett Allen was 22nd pick. I could name a handful who can protect the rim with better offensive game in late 1st round. Stop with the illusion that Poeltl will be better. He is who he is. He shows off when his behind is lit up then gets back to his normal self. If anybody’s inquiring, I’d take what I could and let them deal with the problem. Spurs are not re-signing him for the money he would want. Why wait for him to walk?
    Last edited by John B; 01-15-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl has went from underrated by most to overrated by some on here. Most low usage, rim running bigs rate well in catch all metrics. That doesn't make them high end starters.

He's a low end one and the notion that he'll command some exorbitant amount or they'll be in a bidding war is absurd. Holmes, R. Williams and Carter have all recently inked deals in the 4/$45-50M range, which is where he's trending.

This is the crux of their predicament. Poeltl and White are young, low ceiling veterans, on a franchise obsessed with continuity, "character" and trying to avoid bottoming out entirely.

Short of the scenario I described yesterday, it doesn't make sense to view them as long term pieces, but they also wouldn't get enough back to make it worthwhile (at least from their perspective) to cut bait. As ever, expect minimal movement going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well at least we agree not to let him go for nothing. There's some common ground. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying per se. If we do draft someone truly great they will need a supporting cast. But here's the problem, we aren't bad enough to draft that next generational talent. We'll probably end up in the top 10 and DJ is talented enough to keep us there but we aren't bad enough to get a top 3 pick. So how do we move into the top of the draft? The only way is to have assets that other teams want. That obviously isn't our players so we need to collect draft capital to try and move up. If that means moving some players who raise our for than so be it. I would say a first and a prospect would be enough for us to move him. We could package our top 10, the Chicago pick and this pick to try and move up if we believe we've found the next great player. Small market teams have to develop through the draft, we aren't getting any free agents to write home about so the draft is our best bet.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah he’s not Jarrett Allen was 22nd pick. I could name a handful who can protect the rim with better offensive game in late 1st round. Stop with the illusion that Poeltl will be better. He is who he is. He shows off when his behind is lit up then gets back to his normal self. If anybody’s inquiring, I’d take what I could and let them deal with the problem. Spurs are not re-signing him for the money he would want. Why wait for him to walk?
    Busts and deep bench players are a lot more the norm outside of the lottery, lol cherry picking Jarrett Allen. Might as well have said Giannis to back up your point. Poeltl is a decent starting center, that doesn't grow on trees. Ask any Spurs fan pre 1983. I'm fine with trading him if they can get a good return but a pick that'll probably end up around 16-19 isn't it unless they see someone they really want still on the board and do the trade draft night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ujuri enjoyed fvcking us so much the first time he wants to do it again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Quite the analogy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Poeltl and max money should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Nobody would give him more than 15 per year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Busts and deep bench players are a lot more the norm outside of the lottery, lol cherry picking Jarrett Allen. Might as well have said Giannis to back up your point. Poeltl is a decent starting center, that doesn't grow on trees. Ask any Spurs fan pre 1983. I'm fine with trading him if they can get a good return but a pick that'll probably end up around 16-19 isn't it unless they see someone they really want still on the board and do the trade draft night.
    Nice to see some posters with a straight head on their neck. Also where's all this talk about Jakob wanting $15m/per or even Max level money coming from??

Spurs would be wise to retain him under a 10-12m per year, longer contract. Gives Jakob financial security, and the Spurs security at the C spot, while not locking themselves into neither Jakob the player, nor Jakob the starter. Lol at the notion that Jakob's somehow gonna grow "too expensive to pay for"... While at the same time ting all over him . Spurstalk is hilarious sometimes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl and max money should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Nobody would give him more than 15 per year
    Yeah, I need to walk that one back. He's not going to ever get the max, but someone is going to over pay him. We would offer 15 but you can bet someone will offer him more and he'll walk for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is our third best player behind Murray and White. Despite his one great flaw - abysmal free throw shooting. Makes no sense to trade him to the Raptors unless they blow up the offer with an unprotected FRP plus a useful player - and OG Anunoby doesn't cut it for me. Too inconsistent and not someone to build with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle plays way too soft, watch his body language. He’s intimidated by certain players

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle plays way too soft, watch his body language. He’s intimidated by certain players
    Imagine poeltl with the mentality of in najera

Thread Information