Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    ......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah we happily pay greater income taxes to be free of Texas. Never going back.
    I thought Texas was the place to be in the US? (I’m from Australia).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is... there are many places that are "the place to be" depending on what kind of lifestyle you like to live. For instance, I love hiking and biking so I live in NW Arkansas. It's loaded with trails and is a destination spot for people who enjoy those activities. It's also turning into a smaller (but growing) Austin like area with 4 real seasons. If you like great beaches then Florida is your spot...So, like it said, there are many "the place to be" areas...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is... there are many places that are "the place to be" depending on what kind of lifestyle you like to live. For instance, I love hiking and biking so I live in NW Arkansas. It's loaded with trails and is a destination spot for people who enjoy those activities. It's also turning into a smaller (but growing) Austin like area with 4 real seasons. If you like great beaches then Florida is your spot...So, like it said, there are many "the place to be" areas...
    My job takes me there once in awhile and it is beautiful (hiking is my thing). I am having a devil of a time convincing my wife we should go there on vacay though as she thinks of the Ozarks and immediately thinks of like the Deliverance crowd lives there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My job takes me there once in awhile and it is beautiful (hiking is my thing). I am having a devil of a time convincing my wife we should go there on vacay though as she thinks of the Ozarks and immediately thinks of like the Deliverance crowd lives there.
    Tell her you've gotta get up into the Missouri ozarks or about 100 miles east of NWA to find the deliverance crowd.... probably stay at 21C hotel and museum right off the square...everything is walkable... she'll be sold...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, there are a lot of people moving there because of low property values and because its warm all year around, but there's a reason the property values in most of the state are lower than everywhere else and its not because those places are better. The heat is oppressive like 6 months out of the year, the politics get more and more insane each year, and none of the cities is at all walkable. But you can (in most places) get a giant house for relatively little and the winters are nice if you don't like snow. Plus tex mex. I do miss the out of breakfast tacos.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their state tax is <10% I believe. I think taxes are based on where the revenue is earned so that marginal difference is actually only for 41 games. I’ve never once heard state tax been brought up in free agency.
    It is my understanding that Dodgers matched the Braves offer for Freddie Freeman, then tacked on the state tax.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, there are a lot of people moving there because of low property values and because its warm all year around, but there's a reason the property values in most of the state are lower than everywhere else and its not because those places are better. The heat is oppressive like 6 months out of the year, the politics get more and more insane each year, and none of the cities is at all walkable. But you can (in most places) get a giant house for relatively little and the winters are nice if you don't like snow. Plus tex mex. I do miss the out of breakfast tacos.
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of living in Texas. Oppressive heat from early May until early October. Lived there and like the northeast, New England better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no other “whole” off-season thread so I’ll drop this here:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Charlotte fans seemed to absolutely despise him by the end of the season. He refused to play his two first rounders meaningful minutes all year.

I read that Kupchak their GM may also be on his way out but it sounded more like it would be his choice if such a thing came to fruition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The plot thickens. That’s interesting. ^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Charlotte fans seemed to absolutely despise him by the end of the season. He refused to play his two first rounders meaningful minutes all year.

I read that Kupchak their GM may also be on his way out but it sounded more like it would be his choice if such a thing came to fruition.
    Didn't Bouknight get kicked out of a UConn game cuz he was acting a fool? Imagine going back to your university and getting tossed out of a basketball game because you're an asshole. Bouknight has some issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't Bouknight get kicked out of a UConn game cuz he was acting a fool? Imagine going back to your university and getting tossed out of a basketball game because you're an asshole. Bouknight has some issues.
    Yeah that happened alright.
    He was supposedly warned by the ref to stay off his phone multiple times during the game. He was able to sit in the student section though after the ejection.

I’m not condoning his behaviour by any means but Hornets fans knew their team wasn’t good enough around the All-Star break yet he still refused to play his rookies meaningful minutes at any time.

For example - In their play-in game against the Hawks, which they lost by 29 points and trailed by 30+ points at multiple points in the 4th; the rookies didn’t check into the game at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't all that good on the court with the Hornets either. I don't think Bouknight not playing had anything to do with them letting Borrego go.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't all that good on the court with the Hornets either. I don't think Bouknight not playing had anything to do with them letting Borrego go.
    So you think this might make them more willing to make a trade with their draft picks or less likely? Still think the Spurs need to target one of those picks from Charlotte.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There needs to be mutual respect between Coach and Player.

Looks like neither respected the other here as I'm sure coach said something out of line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think this might make them more willing to make a trade with their draft picks or less likely? Still think the Spurs need to target one of those picks from Charlotte.
    Depends on which way they're going. If they want immediate results, then a trade for Poeltl can be more likely. But just as easily he might not appeal to the new coach, or they may make a strategic decision to continue building through the draft, so who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/...ookie-campaign

Now after a full 82 game season, Bouknight has only logged 302 minutes for Charlotte spending most of his time in Greensboro or on the Hornets bench in street clothes...

Bouknight's lack of minutes has been a constant debate among Hornets fans this season. Many have expressed their disappointment in James Borrego's inability to find him playing time. Bouknight was a highly remarked talent that Charlotte fans were excited to see alongside LaMelo Ball but after a full season, he’s played the 4th least minutes among 2021 first-round rookies…
    We’re talking about the 10th pick here for a team that didn’t make the playoffs. Unsurprisingly, Kai Jones is second on that list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we're talking "the place to be" as in, the place where you should be because that's the place to be for superficial people who wanna feel their life is so great cos they're in the place to be... Then LA was the place to be 30 to 20 years ago, then NY, then Vegas 10 to 5 years ago...Then now if you wanna fell like you're in the place to be in the middle of other people who came here for nothing else than being in the place to be... that's probablly Miami, specially for 20 something girls from all over the world and pretty much every single hoe on the planet (rich, retired american daddies also packing there too may have something to do with it).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/...ookie-campaign

We’re talking about the 10th pick here for a team that didn’t make the playoffs. Unsurprisingly, Kai Jones is second on that list.
    There’s something strange there like Borrego being in the hot seat already. Was this the final season of his contract? So he may have felt he was going for the best possible immediate outcome vs developing players in which he spent no time. It’s interesting that they would be so focused on outcome with a team so young still and Lamelo barely in his sop re season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's about 10 MPG over 31 games. Not much playing time, true, but if making the playoffs is your absolute priority, there's no much room for a rookie shooting under 35% from the field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s something strange there like Borrego being in the hot seat already. Was this the final season of his contract? So he may have felt he was going for the best possible immediate outcome vs developing players in which he spent no time. It’s interesting that they would be so focused on outcome with a team so young still and Lamelo barely in his sop re season.
    Spot on SAGirl.
    From what I understand, Borrego’s contract extension was just about to begin next season, so this had to be a case of mismanaged assets on his part.
    There we’re rumblings of Gordon Hayward wanting out too, even before his season was derailed by injuries.

As an unashamed Kai Jones fanboy, he recently ‘liked’ a couple of fan Twitter posts that suggested Borrego doesn’t know what he’s doing or words to that effect. He tried to rescind these likes but the damage was done.
    The posts were already Screen shotted by Charlotte fans who were very much of the mindset “He’s just like us” and “Do you know how dodgy you have to be for Kai Jones not to like you…”

After watching how disorganised their G-League team was, which is usually running similar stuff to the NBA affiliates, (as you probably already know); it just seemed like there was definitely something awry in Charlotte.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Borrego, whatever faults he may or may not have, got hamstrung by management - starting with losing Kemba Walker after his first year. That was about money, not the coach. I honestly don't know enough about Bouknight, but I'm not surprised that a team with LaMelo Ball might have some problems with the coach-player relationships. If Borrego has any weakness in that area (I don't know), that has to have been one of the worst possible locations to land. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ball turn out to be a career coach-killer.

Pop took on Carlesimo after the Sprewell debacle, and let him get his feet back under him. I would think Pop would take Borrego back. Whether he would ultimately be a good head coach, especially after this? Coin toss.

Thanks for posting, SAGirl. I hadn't seen the announcement yet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yuk! They seem to just have a toxic culture.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on SAGirl.
    From what I understand, Borrego’s contract extension was just about to begin next season, so this had to be a case of mismanaged assets on his part.
    There we’re rumblings of Gordon Hayward wanting out too, even before his season was derailed by injuries.

As an unashamed Kai Jones fanboy, he recently ‘liked’ a couple of fan Twitter posts that suggested Borrego doesn’t know what he’s doing or words to that effect. He tried to rescind these likes but the damage was done.
    The posts were already Screen shotted by Charlotte fans who were very much of the mindset “He’s just like us” and “Do you know how dodgy you have to be for Kai Jones not to like you…”

After watching how disorganised their G-League team was, which is usually running similar stuff to the NBA affiliates, (as you probably already know); it just seemed like there was definitely something awry in Charlotte.
    Kai Jones doesn‘t seem to be a guy who fits into the Spurs culture if that‘s true. Given that Borrego mismanaged their roster - you can‘t act like that, especially as a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Borrego has 2 years left on his contract... man, the money that NBA teams throw around! I guess it's time to head to Italy for a few months and relax with lots of cappuccinos in the morning and nightly bottles of wine. Not a bad life.

Thread Information