Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t allow Don Nelson to have that record. He’ll be back for one more. Becky will leave in the offseason. So we have no clear successor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty sure the team gets remodelled next season. I suspect significant changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 5 years when he actually is gone/dead and the Spurs are still sludging around because tanking is stupid and the Owners are bent over by the stars so much that it's really hurting the product, the same people who have been wishing for his demise for over a decade will be crying and wishing he was back.

Typical ST garbage thread.
    Secretly of course.. they won't admit it. They'll say we need Steve Kerr.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Secretly of course.. they won't admit it. They'll say we need Steve Kerr.
    Nah, they will create alts to say what their afraid to say under their alts. Crazy how feminine some weirdos are amongst a community most of them have been part of for 20 years. Lmao

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST has a gy Durants, just minus the reason to make an alt. Even nobodies have inferiority complexes in front of strangers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rumor is also that he gave Pop the last meeting and that Pop convinced him to stay with the help of David Robinson. And also that Duncan said that staying was the best decision and that it worked out great. I can see why he wanted to go to Orlando. It's not just Doc Rivers. It's living in a city that has Disney World, etc. if you like that kind of thing, it is a closer plane flight home to the Island, and they had a talented team in theory with Grant Hill, T Mac, and Duncan. If that team united, and Grant Hill was healthy, they would have been dominant and won many les. Duncan did not know then that Grant Hill would barely play again and never as a superstar. Yet he still passed up the chance to play with them under a favorable scenario to him. Plus, he probably also liked being near the ocean given where he grew up.

If anyone has a gripe against the Spurs organization, it is David Robinson, who they almost didn't re-sign late in his career because they were trying to get Chris Webber. If they had gotten Chris Webber, they wouldn't have signed David Robinson and he wouldn't have won the second le. If anyone had a reason to be upset it was him, but you can see he is a bigger man and doesn't hold grudges. Really an exemplary dude.

Nice post.

I remember Orlando trying to woo Duncan. He had every reason to go there, tbh. On paper that would have been a super-team. At the time I was fairly sure he was going to bolt.

Fast forward years later, the Spurs are considered one of the top organizations in basketball, and nephew successfully tore it down. The autist wouldn't even take Robinson's calls, and spurned the entire organization by not even allowing room for them to make the best trade possible. The last three years would have looked at lot different if he'd of followed the loyalty tradition set by Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm wonder if this team knows something we don't know. Suspect they already know certain folks aren't returning....may extend beyond players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we all suspected for the last 2-4 years and nothing happened..
    There's a lot of differences this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm wonder if this team knows something we don't know. Suspect they already know certain folks aren't returning....may extend beyond players.
    Yeah, my thoughts as well, tbh. But on the outside looking in, there are a few questions or situations that PATFO, but Pop, most of all, needs to address in the off season. For one, is he seriously chasing the winningest coach of all time top record, or does he really have anything left in the tank to coach? It seems that from some Spurs fans, they think that Pop has lost the players by the way they are playing. This team has become one dimensional with the offense where teams are packing the paint & daring the players to shoot from long distance. And from a defensive standpoint, there is no motivation... well... on both ends of the floor, actually. Pop doesn't seem to be making key adjustments to correct these issues. What they do is too predictable. Is it because of the types of players? Well, they were doing well before the COVID tracing issue, & there has been flashes of this team being a compe ive playoff team. Does Pop want to leave this team in playoff form before he rides off into the sunset & then hand over the keys to the next HC? Heck, we may or may not see a BIG change coming this off season for improvement sakes! Who knows?! Only Pop knows this. But we shall see. But when he decides to step down, when that time comes, it will be a solemn day in Spurs Nation, because Pop has been a big part of the franchise's success. GSG!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no way he quits before getting that record

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no way he quits before getting that record
    It would actually be funny if he quit the day after he beat the record by one game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, my thoughts as well, tbh. But on the outside looking in, there are a few questions or situations that PATFO, but Pop, most of all, needs to address in the off season. For one, is he seriously chasing the winningest coach of all time top record, or does he really have anything left in the tank to coach? It seems that from some Spurs fans, they think that Pop has lost the players by the way they are playing. This team has become one dimensional with the offense where teams are packing the paint & daring the players to shoot from long distance. And from a defensive standpoint, there is no motivation... well... on both ends of the floor, actually. Pop doesn't seem to be making key adjustments to correct these issues. What they do is too predictable. Is it because of the types of players? Well, they were doing well before the COVID tracing issue, & there has been flashes of this team being a compe ive playoff team. Does Pop want to leave this team in playoff form before he rides off into the sunset & then hand over the keys to the next HC? Heck, we may or may not see a BIG change coming this off season for improvement sakes! Who knows?! Only Pop knows this. But we shall see. But when he decides to step down, when that time comes, it will be a solemn day in Spurs Nation, because Pop has been a big part of the franchise's success. GSG!!!
    Great post. I have little doubt that Pop is not chasing 'records.' Whatever he does I believe will be with the team's best interests at the forefront.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would actually be funny if he quit the day after he beat the record by one game.
    Yes that would be funny! It's not happening, but would be really badass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great post. I have little doubt that Pop is not chasing 'records.' Whatever he does I believe will be with the team's best interests at the forefront.
    No doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have heard Doc told Duncan that he couldn't bring family on road trips on the team plane but Pop said Duncan could. Supposedly that was the tie breaker. The reason I heard Duncan wanted to leave SA was because he didn't believe David Robinson was going to be around for that much longer and thought once Robinson was gone that he would have no help to win a le.
    Well, at the time he didn’t have a family, but Doc said no to Amy flying with the team, and Pop said OK, occasionally. Orlando also didn’t do their homework. Tim was a fast food addict at the time, and they served a fancy brunch, which he barely touched. They’d have done better to get him a Wendy’s single combo. Talk about a perfect decision. He’d have been stuck with a gimpy Grant Hill, who played only 18 games his first two seasons in ORL. They’d have been totally ed if TMac didn’t land in their laps via the caproom left when Tim passed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, at the time he didn’t have a family, but Doc said no to Amy flying with the team, and Pop said OK, occasionally. Orlando also didn’t do their homework. Tim was a fast food addict at the time, and they served a fancy brunch, which he barely touched. They’d have done better to get him a Wendy’s single combo. Talk about a perfect decision. He’d have been stuck with a gimpy Grant Hill, who played only 18 games his first two seasons in ORL. They’d have been totally ed if TMac didn’t land in their laps via the caproom left when Tim passed.
    Agreed. Most people don't know that they only had money for 2 max players not 3 so it would have been impossible for them to form a big 3 with Tmac,Hill,Duncan. Like you said if Duncan signed with them he would have been paired up with an injured Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you're correct... but I think he stays and chases the record..
    It is all about him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Most people don't know that they only had money for 2 max players not 3 so it would have been impossible for them to form a big 3 with Tmac,Hill,Duncan. Like you said if Duncan signed with them he would have been paired up with an injured Hill.
    I also believe that this was the case and why Tim is happy in his decision to stay. The only thing I wonder is, if TD said yes, I wonder if T-Mac would have went there at a discount, or if the three of them could have worked something out? If not, and it was just going to be Duncan and Hill, then yeah, Tim would definitely feel he made the right decision not to go. If T-Mac did somehow come on board, though, I still think TD and him would have been a very good combination. Do you think that combo could have won a ring? I'm not sure due to T-Mac's mental toughness, but talent wise, I think they could have been right there if surrounded with the right role players.

As for Pop, does he have any years left on his Spurs contract? If so, I think he was for sure planning to come back, but if he doesn't, I'd say it's only because he lost the team, as with the way it's looking right now, it seems he's very close to losing them if he already hasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still not entirely sure that OP isn't trolling with this thread, but agreed, tbh. I know we've been saying this for a while now, but it's really looking like the sun is setting on Pop's coaching career. Anyone who's seen him all these years knows he's not chasing the wins record - he's got enough records as it is. I do think he'd want to leave the team in a better light than it currently is in, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see him return for one last year, but at the same time I don't think he wants to coach a bottom-of-the-barrel team. So it's going to be a very interesting offseason for sure, regarding how the Spurs FO themselves see the team and how it will move forward.

Beyond all the trolling, and his decline in recent years, he's been an incredible coach for SanAn. Stupid posters will say he rode Timmy's coattails entirely without any input, and never did anything good himself, yet will also fondly remember Pop outcoaching Mike D'Antoni all those series and so many other coaches, his wacky schemes, his being at the forefront of the NBA, and paving the way for the modern game with his 13-14' squad and the Beautiful Game. None of that happened without Pop. Every Spurs fan should be forever grateful... And I have zero doubts that being grateful for all that he's done, will get much easier once he's not on the team anymore, mucking things up. It's just time, tbh.

Cya, Pop. Or should I say, CIA Pop...?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After seeing the constant carousel of coaches in the mid 80s through mid 90s and how they could never get the best out of some talented teams, I'm going to miss the out of Pop when he retires. Because he sure as got the best out of the 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 13, 14, 18, and 19 teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hah he actually sent them to Wendy's to get him a couple of the 99 cent bacon cheeseburgers. Kind of wonder if that was just Tim trolling Doc after the fact though letting that story about Amy not being allowed on the team flights leak. Still love when he went in and met with Pop, sat down in his office, and told him he was going to Orlando. Then said just kidding a few seconds later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't need a pity thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also believe that this was the case and why Tim is happy in his decision to stay. The only thing I wonder is, if TD said yes, I wonder if T-Mac would have went there at a discount, or if the three of them could have worked something out? If not, and it was just going to be Duncan and Hill, then yeah, Tim would definitely feel he made the right decision not to go. If T-Mac did somehow come on board, though, I still think TD and him would have been a very good combination. Do you think that combo could have won a ring? I'm not sure due to T-Mac's mental toughness, but talent wise, I think they could have been right there if surrounded with the right role players.
    TMac absolutely would not have gone to Orlando to play as the #3 guy. He was already jealous of Vince Carter in Toronto. If TMac gave a crap about winning he would have stayed there. He had all the tools to be a better Scottie Pippen but just wanted to score.

Thread Information