Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Ray AllenPERIOD.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol that layup against the sonics as some herculean moment

to be fair, duncan's shot over shaq would have gone down as one of the greatest/most clutch moments in NBA history if fisher didnt do that thing
    I never said it was herculean just said it was one of my favorite clutch moments from Duncan. Still pretty amazing when you factor in Duncan rolled his good ankle in that game and ended up playing with two bum ankles.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MEH. Pop was clutchest in those last seconds.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some turd will say kawhi

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think some of you guys are counting the last possession of a game. I was talking about the last 4-5 minutes of a game, which is what I call crunch time. TD is/was usually great on both offense and defense those last 5 minutes of high pressure games.

If we're talking last possession only, I'd probably go with a guard and the list probably changes quite a bit. Early in TD's career (I think around 2002 or 2003), I recall Michael Jordan saying he'd take Kobe first and Tim second for a last second play or shot. He said both can get any shot they want, but you can double and triple a big man and take him out of the play, whereas with a guard, that's much harder to do.

I should also mention, for a last second shot or play among true big men (guys that aren't perimeter based like Horry or Dirk), I'd always take TD ahead of anyone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clutch in what way? If it's making game winning shots, the list is probably a bunch of players you wouldn't consider..Joe Johnson, Carmelo, Rudy Gay, etc..ironically, players who actually aren't clutch at all in terms of big game performances

In that way, Tim was reliable, but not really memorable IMO..

For me, the concept of clutch being based on big shots is stupid and doesn't make much sense I'd only use that word to describe performances in key games as a whole, not one stretch or shot..Duncan was definitely one of the best of all-time in big games, but you could make a list of 10 players on the same level..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

to be fair, duncan's shot over shaq would have gone down as one of the greatest/most clutch moments in NBA history if fisher didnt do that thing
    He had just sprained his ankle a few plays before that. He came up big in that entire 4th after playing pretty lousy for most of the game. Pretty clutch imo, even if Manu made that play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clutch in what way? If it's making game winning shots, the list is probably a bunch of players you wouldn't consider..Joe Johnson, Carmelo, Rudy Gay, etc..ironically, players who actually aren't clutch at all in terms of big game performances

In that way, Tim was reliable, but not really memorable IMO..

For me, the concept of clutch being based on big shots is stupid and doesn't make much sense I'd only use that word to describe performances in key games as a whole, not one stretch or shot..Duncan was definitely one of the best of all-time in big games, but you could make a list of 10 players on the same level..
    Yeah, just defining it by making shots is stupid, and plays to the Kobe fan "closer" narrative. It's about making the right plays, offensively AND defensively (Tim has had several game-winning blocks in his career too). For me it's more about taking over when your team needs you to, and making all of the right plays when the game is in the balance, and the pressure is at its highest.

Tim's 4th quarter performances in the closeout games of the 03 and 05 Finals come to mind. He didn't score a lot, but he made seemingly every play the team needed. He's also traditionally always elevated his play in the playoffs and in elimination games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is probably the most clutch superstar big man ever. I say probably because I never saw Kareem and Wilt play but I did see Ewing,Olajuwon,Shaq,Mourning,Drob, K.Malone play. Under pressure in the final two minutes of the game Tim came through more times than those guys did. People can bring up him not being clutch in game 5 of the '05 Finals or him missing the lay up against Battier in the '13 finals but outside of those two moments Tim has been pretty clutch.

Some of my favorite moments of Duncan being clutch in the playoffs

In this clip the Spurs are down by 1 against the Lakers in game 2 with 18 seconds left in the game. Duncan hits the game winner. Go to the 1:39:40 to see it

Duncan eliminates the Sonics with this game winner

Duncan hits the 3 against the Suns to send the game to OT

The Spurs are only up by 1 against the Thunder in OT with 28 seconds left and Duncan hits a tough shot against Jackson and Westbrook to put the spurs up 3. I"m convinced if Duncan doesn't hit this shot the Spurs lose the game and would have lost the series in a game 7. Go to the 8 minute mark to see it.
    Another great one was the game-sealing shot he hit against Minnesota in game 1 of the 2001 first round. I just rewatched the game today!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the highlights . Interesting how its mainly Manu setting timmy up for those clutch shots. Like its always been when he was in his prime for the spurs. Most notable is how Tim , Kawhi & Tony standing back waiting for Manu to make things happen.

Gotta reiterate, Manu prime is the type of closer the current spurs need.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at the highlights . Interesting how its mainly Manu setting timmy up for those clutch shots. Like its always been when he was in his prime for the spurs. Most notable is how Tim , Kawhi & Tony standing back waiting for Manu to make things happen.

Gotta reiterate, Manu prime is the type of closer the current spurs need.
    Its why manu is the best spur of all time. He made plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You mean if the ing timekeeper wasn’t re ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good job, as usual Thomas82 Thanks

Duncan is probably the most clutch superstar big man ever. I say probably because I never saw Kareem and Wilt play but I did see Ewing,Olajuwon,Shaq,Mourning,Drob, K.Malone play. Under pressure in the final two minutes of the game Tim came through more times than those guys did. People can bring up him not being clutch in game 5 of the '05 Finals or him missing the lay up against Battier in the '13 finals but outside of those two moments Tim has been pretty clutch.

Some of my favorite moments of Duncan being clutch in the playoffs

In this clip the Spurs are down by 1 against the Lakers in game 2 with 18 seconds left in the game. Duncan hits the game winner. Go to the 1:39:40 to see it

Duncan eliminates the Sonics with this game winner

Duncan hits the 3 against the Suns to send the game to OT

The Spurs are only up by 1 against the Thunder in OT with 28 seconds left and Duncan hits a tough shot against Jackson and Westbrook to put the spurs up 3. I"m convinced if Duncan doesn't hit this shot the Spurs lose the game and would have lost the series in a game 7. Go to the 8 minute mark to see it.
    Nice! Thanks! Great moments.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its why manu is the best spur of all time. He made plays.
    In regards to making things happen on both ends coulnt agree more. I was reminiscing who out of our spurs even now puts their body on the line to take a charge. Its still Manu

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good job, as usual Thomas82 Thanks

Nice! Thanks! Great moments.
    No doubt!!

Thread Information