Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    silverblk mystix
    I'm amused by the implication that those of us defending the film are taking it personally and/or too seriously, but those of you who argue against it are, what, just having fun?
    The LAST line is the only one that matters.

I wish there were more movies that made ME feel this way.

That is all that was meant.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Incidentally, I was discussing No Country for Old Men with a couple of friends a week or so ago. We decided that the people who don't like the film or its ending are almost certainly the same people who thought the second season of "The Wire" was boring.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    The LAST line is the only one that matters.

I wish there were more movies that made ME feel this way.

That is all that was meant.
    If the last line was all that mattered, I'm guessing it would have been the only one you bothered typing. It wasn't, however.

silverblk mystix
    If the last line was all that mattered, I'm guessing it would have been the only one you bothered typing. It wasn't, however.
    Didn't have the foresight to see that it would be taken as some kind of slight.

It seems that this movie means a lot, is taken quite seriously-IMO

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You really wanted to bring this thread back for so long didn't you.
    Oh yes. I've been itching. Because nothing says, "I hope people disagree with me" like watching a movie again and stating that it's still an enjoyable flick.

I always said that I liked the first 90% of NCFOM...but everyone trashed me for not liking the ending.
    Wrong again. People trashed you because you couldn't tell anyone WHY you disliked the ending. You sputtered around and didn't have anything beyond, "I didn't like it." Again, refer to my earlier comment about being unable to articulate yourself properly.

That is why i said that you guys really like this movie...I wasn't trashing your opinions or the movie-I was stating a fact-that you guys really seem to take it personal.
    Uh, what evidence do you have that we're taking it personally? As I said before, anyone is free to tell me they don't like NCfOM, if they can provide some sort of rationale for why they feel that way.

Movies are art-IMO. In art you can get feelings drawn out of you...you can be inspired...you can be moved...you can be let down. The ending to this movie made me feel let down.
    Just a thought... if I were to boil this movie down to it's most basic elements, it's a movie about a drug war and a homicidal maniac indiscriminately slaying people who stand in his path. Several of the main characters die, and the "good guy" gives up trying to hunt the "bad guy".

What part, exactly, did you hope to feel happy or uplifted by?

Whether you or MannyisGod or any others like to hear that-it is the truth...MY truth...that is how I experienced that movie. Someone said that my feeling a certain way was not good enough...then i guess you are saying that feelings/emotions don't matter in art/music/etc...
    Too bad...that is what I felt and no-one else can change that.
    You're awfully defensive for accusing people of caring too much about a movie.

By the way...when I first saw this movie...I would have been a perfect audience for the meaning to the ending-because I had recently lost my dad and the Tommy lee Jones character's final words ...SHOULD ...have really given me some comfort...
    Why are you telling a movie what it should and should not be, now? The Coen brothers don't care about your personal situation. They made a movie to tell a story. What a movie "should" do in your opinion is completely irrelevant.
    but I digested it...thought about it...understood it...and then just felt the feeling of being let down...like they almost had me...close...but no cigar.
    That was my honest reaction to the ending and the movie went from being almost perfect to not quite in that category. That is MY feeling of that movie.
    Feel free to praise it to high heaven and insult those that don't wish to debate it's artistic merits...it is your option.
    Have you ever considered that maybe that's exactly what the Coen brothers wanted you to feel? It wasn't meant to be a feel good film. The ending is not supposed to be happy or comforting -- at most, you feel catharsis for the life the Sheriff has lived, who he is, and what has become of him through the progression of the movie, because we've all been in situations where we feel exactly the way he is feeling, or close to it... helpless to do anything about the tempest that's swirling around him.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Incidentally, I was discussing No Country for Old Men with a couple of friends a week or so ago. We decided that the people who don't like the film or its ending are almost certainly the same people who thought the second season of "The Wire" was boring.
    I dug the ending to NCFOM after my second watch.

Season 2 wasn't boring, but it was far from my favorite.

About the only thing boring on The Wire was the entire newspaper stuff in season 5.

silverblk mystix
    Oh yes. I've been itching. Because nothing says, "I hope people disagree with me" like watching a movie again and stating that it's still an enjoyable flick.

Wrong again. People trashed you because you couldn't tell anyone WHY you disliked the ending. You sputtered around and didn't have anything beyond, "I didn't like it." Again, refer to my earlier comment about being unable to articulate yourself properly.

Uh, what evidence do you have that we're taking it personally? As I said before, anyone is free to tell me they don't like NCfOM, if they can provide some sort of rationale for why they feel that way.

Just a thought... if I were to boil this movie down to it's most basic elements, it's a movie about a drug war and a homicidal maniac indiscriminately slaying people who stand in his path. Several of the main characters die, and the "good guy" gives up trying to hunt the "bad guy".

What part, exactly, did you hope to feel happy or uplifted by?

You're awfully defensive for accusing people of caring too much about a movie.

Why are you telling a movie what it should and should not be, now? The Coen brothers don't care about your personal situation. They made a movie to tell a story. What a movie "should" do in your opinion is completely irrelevant.

Have you ever considered that maybe that's exactly what the Coen brothers wanted you to feel? It wasn't meant to be a feel good film. The ending is not supposed to be happy or comforting -- at most, you feel catharsis for the life the Sheriff has lived, who he is, and what has become of him through the progression of the movie, because we've all been in situations where we feel exactly the way he is feeling, or close to it... helpless to do anything about the tempest that's swirling around him.
    You are the one that is assuming that I wanted a feel good ending. You assumed that I wanted the Cop to kill the good guy,etc...

I never said that.

I stated before that, as good as the first 90% of the movie was, that I was hoping to be wowed by the ending-but I wasn't. If I knew how to better write that ending though, I guess I would be a professional screenwriter.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was hoping to be wowed by the ending-but I wasn't
    My point exactly, thank you. You wanted a Hollywood ending to a movie that wanted nothing to do with the conventions of Hollywood. It wasn't what you expected, so you hated it (the ending).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    Not understanding why your panties are all twisted.

Making beats is not the same as playing a drumset. Making beats is pushing a button to play a drum/percussion part that real musicians recorded. Try to understand that at one time ...you would actually invent and play the music yourself on instruments. You didn't push buttons and play programmed beats and then consider yourself a musician.

Hope you can understand the difference and save your hatred for something else.
    lol piano

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    There are only a few rappers to ever live that I would claim to be musical geniuses.
    unfortunately one of those is Nelly, in your opinion

silverblk mystix
    My point exactly, thank you. You wanted a Hollywood ending to a movie that wanted nothing to do with the conventions of Hollywood. It wasn't what you expected, so you hated it (the ending).

Not quite.

I knew the movie wasn't going to have a conventional hlwd ending-and I was NOT hoping for a neatly-wrapped bow-tied ending either.

I wanted to be wowed while staying true to the first part of the movie.
    I thought that a great writer/director would have pulled this off a little better than it ended but it was not to be.

My only expectation was for the movie -if it was to be great movie for 90% of it-why not the last 5-10%?

That is all I expected...greatness...finish the greatness you started...and I felt that they tried to hit a home run but at the end settled for a double.

I still feel that way and if it worked for you and everyone else-then great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not quite.

I knew the movie wasn't going to have a conventional hlwd ending-and I was NOT hoping for a neatly-wrapped bow-tied ending either.

I wanted to be wowed while staying true to the first part of the movie.
    I thought that a great writer/director would have pulled this off a little better than it ended but it was not to be.

My only expectation was for the movie -if it was to be great movie for 90% of it-why not the last 5-10%?

That is all I expected...greatness...finish the greatness you started...and I felt that they tried to hit a home run but at the end settled for a double.

I still feel that way and if it worked for you and everyone else-then great.
    Again, what exactly about the ending didn't feel true to the rest of the movie and therefore disappointed you? You've yet to elaborate on this aside from using different metaphors for, "It sucked and I hated it."

silverblk mystix
    Again, what exactly about the ending didn't feel true to the rest of the movie and therefore disappointed you? You've yet to elaborate on this aside from using different metaphors for, "It sucked and I hated it."

Apparently, I can't.

Tried but, although it satisfies me (my reasons), others swarmed like piranhas demanding for better or more articulated reasons.
    In other words-what they WANT to hear...which is (in their minds) that I didn't get it.
    As if it was impossible for someone to just feel let down by a movie's ending.

Sorry, no can do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Apparently, I can't.

although it satisfies me (my reasons)
    What reasons would those be?

silverblk mystix
    What reasons would those be?

Round & round & round we go....

take your pick;

The last 10 minutes of the movie felt anti-climactic as compared to the first 90%...

The Coen brothers stayed true to the book...and I don't know if the ending worked beautifully in the book...but for me the ending didn't work as well on the screen...

I felt the screenwriter-(if he had an option to come up with something new)
    just didn't write the last 10 minutes as well as the first hour & a half...

I am not impressed with the way the Coen brothers seemed to take a perverse infatuation with the killer, even if they wanted to emphasize the fact that violence is random the way life is random, I still wasn't impressed.
    (I can see the Coens at a starbucks grinning ear to ear as they bite into their biscotti and discuss the killers haircut, his name, his weapon of choice,etc)

If they were so intent on being unconventional, they could have just as easily had Chigurgh kill the TL Jones guy...or other endings that would have at least not felt anti-climactic...

Bottom line...liked the first part...not impressed with the ending.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    they stayed true to the book, and it was a good choice to do so.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    unfortunately one of those is Nelly, in your opinion
    Unfortunately you don't know how to read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Was flipping channels today and this part of the movie was showing. Maybe some of you often watchers or book readers can explain.....
    Q:

When Carson Wells meets up with hospitalized Llewllwen, he tries to convince Lew to hand over the money by telling him Sugar is such a demonic killer. Lew says go f yourself, I'll deal with Sugar myself.
    Carson had done some excellent detective work and sure enough, he walks the bridge and finds the spot where Lew threw the suitcase over the chain link fence and there it sits on the river bank. This is with full sun up, appears to be morning or mid day at the latest.

Why didn't Carson go get the suitcase full of money right then and there?

Instead, next scene we see is nightfall. Carson walking up the stairs to his motel room and there is SuperAssHat Sugar who of course kills him.
    Sugar then talks to Lew on the phone, gives Lew his usual threatening bull and Lew tells him he gonna make Sugar a special project of his own.

Next day Lew goes and retrieves the suitcase.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    He might've believed it was safest there at the time, presumably believing that only he and Llewellyn knew of it's location. He never got the chance to go back for it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He might've believed it was safest there at the time, presumably believing that only he and Llewellyn knew of it's location. He never got the chance to go back for it.
    But i mean c'mon, Carson purports to know all about Sugar and knew Sugar was in complete dogged pursuit of Lew.

For that matter why didn't Sugar go looking for Llew right then and there that night. Or at least in the early a.m.?
    The scene shows Llew retrieving the suitcase the next day at Noon or later.

YouTube has every damn scene in the movie except Carson looking at the suitcase from the bridge and Llew retrieving the suitcase the next day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Carson was a hotshot in over his head. He didn't even think Anton would come back to the scene of his previous crime and kill him.

Anton told Lew why he wasn't chasing him anymore. He had already decided to go after his wife for inconveniencing him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Carson was a hotshot in over his head. He didn't even think Anton would come back to the scene of his previous crime and kill him.

Anton told Lew why he wasn't chasing him anymore. He had already decided to go after his wife for inconveniencing him.
    Ya he came across as an over confident know it all and Harrelson was the perfect choice. Probably didn't have to act much.
    Still think the decision to not go for the 2 million suitcase pronto was a plot hole. He seemed to hold Sugar in enough regard to know he better hurry the up. But didn't.

Previous crime scene at the hotel where Carson was?

How did Sugar know to look for Lew at the hotel? Or did he just see all the cop cars and put 2 and 2 together?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ya he came across as an over confident know it all and Harrelson was the perfect choice. Probably didn't have to act much.
    Still think the decision to not go for the 2 million suitcase pronto was a plot hole. He seemed to hold Sugar in enough regard to know he better hurry the up. But didn't.

Previous crime scene at the hotel where Carson was?

How did Sugar know to look for Lew at the hotel? Or did he just see all the cop cars and put 2 and 2 together?
    It's a mystery sure, but not really a plot hole. I've always assumed Carson was after Anton as well. Jumping into the creek in broad daylight when he knew it was safe and grabbing it would make him a bigger target is always what I went with. Either that, or he just got lazy and went back to the hotel where he was ambushed by Anton.

Yes. Carson stayed at the hotel Lew encountered Anton in, in Eagle Pass. Anton killed the clerk Lew asked watch to out for any strange men before their gunfight. Anton strolled in the next day and "killed a retired Army Colonel", Carson.

Q.3: Are you referring to the one Lew was killed at? Or the one we just discussed? He found him at both the Del Rio motel and the hotel in Eagle Pass through pings from the tracking device. If you're talking about the El Paso scene where Lew was killed, it seems Anton showed up late. Finding which hotel he was killed at must've been easy. As for how he found him in El Paso, he made an educated guess based on the answers he got from the Alpine, TX guy he killed out on the interstate. He told him the closest major airport was El Paso.
    Last edited by TimDunkem; 02-26-2021 at 10:06 AM.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Anton’s character did not lend itself to making things easy. The theme of random events rumbling out of control allowed the Coen brothers to use this character to figure out things to give him a mystical quality (there are a lot of how the fck did he figure....with this character). And at the same time he flips coins to make important decisions. The total lack of humanity in the character and random decisions seems to allow for the viewer to believe he is unpredictable in his capabilities. This paranoia extends to the people he interacts with.

I look at it this way. The Cohen brothers are clearly about the entire process and not necessarily the endings for their popular movies. And most of them seem to follow the same theme of random events occurring and tumbling out of control. Which personally I find very pleasing. Or maybe just a good break from very standard cookie cutter movies.

and I could be entirely off-base.
    but I had to comment because I really liked this movie

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's a mystery sure, but not really a plot hole. I've always assumed Carson was after Anton as well. Jumping into the creek in broad daylight when he knew it was safe and grabbing it would make him a bigger target is always what I went with. Either that, or he just got lazy and went back to the hotel where he was ambushed by Anton.

Yes. Carson stayed at the hotel Lew encountered Anton in, in Eagle Pass. Anton killed the clerk Lew asked watch to out for any strange men before their gunfight. Anton strolled in the next day and "killed a retired Army Colonel", Carson.

Q.3: Are you referring to the one Lew was killed at? Or the one we just discussed? He found him at both the Del Rio motel and the hotel in Eagle Pass through pings from the tracking device. If you're talking about the El Paso scene where Lew was killed, it seems Anton showed up late. Finding which hotel he was killed at must've been easy. As for how he found him in El Paso, he made an educated guess based on the answers he got from the Alpine, TX guy he killed out on the interstate. He told him the closest major airport was El Paso.
    Carson, in spite of his know-it-all at ude showed me enough a en ie he found Llew in the Mexican hospital very quickly all things being equal......

Building on your point of Carson not wanting to make himself a bigger target thus thought "hey Sugar is out there lurking, maybe I'll let Llew retrieve the money and then IF Sugar is watching I'll self preserve and let Llew get killed." Kind of like some dogs, you take an older vet dog and pair it with a young pup. When approaching potential trouble, often times the vet dog will let the younger dog wander into potential trouble. However problem with that theory is how/when is Carson going to get the money if he waits? Camp out somewhere with a view of the riverbank so he can confront Llew after he picks it up? And/or smoke Sugar after Sugar smokes Llew?

Still seems like a weird plot hole to me that Carson , 1st waited and then much later (night) was so nonchalantly strolling back to his hotel room. Knowing Sugar was lurking, on the loose, and sure enough, there appears Sugar. The lazy theory would fit. Just seems weird given he did show enough a en to get to the point to where he was. In a position to get the money and complete his mission thus get paid.

No i don't history of the hotel Carson was staying in. Sugar had smoked someone in Carson Death Hotel before?

Q3 Yes the one Llew was killed at. Sugar found it simply by following the cop commotion?
    And where did the money end up. Sugar was snooping for it at Lew Death Hotel but did he find it? Or that is left up to the viewer?

Thread Information