Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is the worst defender in the NBA. Let's not practice whataboutism with Murray or anyone else when discussing his defense. Not even Belli or Mills are on his level of awfulness on that end.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is the worst defender in the NBA. Let's not practice whataboutism with Murray or anyone else when discussing his defense. Not even Belli or Mills are on his level of awfulness on that end.
    31 points and mills having to defend young because murray couldnt say otherwise. Then dumb murray gets caught over committing to a 2 leaving the three wide open. He's just dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    31 points and mills having to defend young because murray couldnt say otherwise. Then dumb murray gets caught over committing to a 2 leaving the three wide open. He's just dumb
    Murray losing Trae is one thing. Forbes losing everyone every single night is another. I don't think Forbes has ever had a good defensive night even once.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn’t on Murray they doubled the ball handler leaving Forbes stuck between 2 players.

The loss is on Poop how many ducking times do we have to loose because Poop takes out starters way to soon. We were on a tear up by 20 and he decided to take out everyone who was balling WTF.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brant Fords

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not forget Pop's special final play either - Dumbmar ISO with no good second option (which Dumbmar would have ignored, anyway). Atlanta was waiting for it, forcing him to the triple coverage on the right side of the lane where he forced up a very poor final look. All with 6+ seconds on the clock. A genius play design.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, right. So let's not try to measure performance with objective data. Then people like you with 48k posts can just post your opinion and believe you are super duper smart. Lol at you thinking you know things.. lol this site

It's midnight. And there's one ignorant asshole saying it's daytime. And insulting everyone else who says it's dark. And the sad thing is... I'm burned out on arguing about it.

You're right. Forbes is a great defender. And he's clearly a winner, deserving of a great big ing extension.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No young decent free agent will ever come here...it was already difficult...and draftees may actively not want to work out for us
    You might be right, if Lonnie can't get consistent minutes on his 2nd year, I doubt Keldon will. But Keldon seems like a guy who won't put up with that treatment.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they made shots and we didn't
    We got outscored by 33 points from 3 = loss. We were lucky to be close.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis, We’re not catching them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No player wants to kill themselves in practice or be yelled at for no reason... enter the equation nephew

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK why y'all even bother responding to that guy. He's either a contrarian troll or a re . Either way, you're losing by responding to him.
    This. OldRun follows the boxscore and is clueless about basketball as a game. He gets his panties in a wad when others post about a player that isnt a player he hates . Most times it actually has nothing to do whats going on the game. Check all his post on this thread. It's focused and triggered on 2 players. Most of his other threads are the same.. Doesn't matter how the game is played this has an agenda.

Not worth responding too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no he didn't. He was guarding 2 players. He took away the lay up, so they passed to the 3-point shooter. When that happened he immediately closed out. Murray did everything right. The coach did everything wrong by putting Patty Mills on Trae Young who immediately got burned and forced Poeltl to double team which left Murray guarding 2 players at once. Some yall really need to learn how basketball is being played
    this

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, right. So let's not try to measure performance with objective data. Then people like you with 48k posts can just post your opinion and believe you are super duper smart. Lol at you thinking you know things.. lol this site
    You're trying to argue Forbes isn't a bad defender. You needn't concern yourself with objectivity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurms blow this piece of team up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop: "We were not solid down the stretch [when I changed the line-up] , and it’s what has bitten us in the ass the whole year, where all of a sudden the game plan goes to [when I randomly change a line-up that works], people don’t execute."

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is everyone complaining about Pop? Same coach when they were winning les.

The overall talent level of the team is not that good so it is not coaching decisions but front office decisions but mostly the fact the Spur's top players retired and the team has fallen off in talent level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then why the does he keep on changing it??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The overall talent level of the team is not that good so it is not coaching decisions but front office decisions but mostly the fact the Spur's top players retired and the team has fallen off in talent level.
    Pop has everything to do with building a roster and playing his worst defenders together in crunch time. Losing the Big 3 has nothing to do with pushing all the wrong buttons. Stop making excuses for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Obviously the talent level is much lower since our big 3/kawhi left. But this causes the coaching strategy to be different as well.

Where in the past, you could insert almost any role player on your team alongside either Parker/Manu/Duncan and they'll lead you to at least 50+ wins and a 2nd/3rd round appearance. The good coaching part of it would take you from a 2nd/3rd appearance to a championship. You will still win a lot games because you have great players. But can you make critical decisions at critical times to win championships year after year?

NOW we have a lesser talented team that can still be a playoff team if coached correctly but obviously not a real contender.
    The coaching in this case has to be a lot more meticulous in every decision they make. You most certainly CANNOT just trot out players and have them win the game like in the past. You better know who you are putting out there and why you are doing it. Are you putting these players in with a REAL chance to succeed?

Our roster unfortunately has a trio of players that their proper use would be for 1 of those players to avg at most 20 min per game. Forbes/Mills/Marco are redundant in that they are supposedly "instant offense" with zero defense. Those type of players are fine in small spurts, but not as a main cog. In 2013-14, Championship Patty Mills avgd 18.9mpg. And we all loved that Patty. He was outstanding.
    But imagine Pop taking Green out and having a starting lineup of Parker/Patty/Kawhi/etc. and where Patty plays over 26mpg. And at the end of games, there's Patty defending Russell Westbrook while Green sits on the bench? He would have easily been the weak link in the starting lineup and would've been hated right away. Thats essentially what Pop has done with Forbes.

I liked Forbes last year, he overachieved. Now he's come back down to earth and the guy he was replacing is back. I'm sorry Forbes but either you need to be playing the Patty role OR go to another team. He by no means should be starting. Walker needs to replace him asap.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So the Hawks, Cavs, and Pistons (among many other) have more talent than the Spurs? It seems you got your talent evaluation skills from popovich.

It's amazing to see the homers move the goalposts in real time. Quite a feat.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously the talent level is much lower since our big 3/kawhi left. But this causes the coaching strategy to be different as well.

Where in the past, you could insert almost any role player on your team alongside either Parker/Manu/Duncan and they'll lead you to at least 50+ wins and a 2nd/3rd round appearance. The good coaching part of it would take you from a 2nd/3rd appearance to a championship. You will still win a lot games because you have great players. But can you make critical decisions at critical times to win championships year after year?

NOW we have a lesser talented team that can still be a playoff team if coached correctly but obviously not a real contender.
    The coaching in this case has to be a lot more meticulous in every decision they make. You most certainly CANNOT just trot out players and have them win the game like in the past. You better know who you are putting out there and why you are doing it. Are you putting these players in with a REAL chance to succeed?

Our roster unfortunately has a trio of players that their proper use would be for 1 of those players to avg at most 20 min per game. Forbes/Mills/Marco are redundant in that they are supposedly "instant offense" with zero defense. Those type of players are fine in small spurts, but not as a main cog. In 2013-14, Championship Patty Mills avgd 18.9mpg. And we all loved that Patty. He was outstanding.
    But imagine Pop taking Green out and having a starting lineup of Parker/Patty/Kawhi/etc. and where Patty plays over 26mpg. And at the end of games, there's Patty defending Russell Westbrook while Green sits on the bench? He would have easily been the weak link in the starting lineup and would've been hated right away. Thats essentially what Pop has done with Forbes.

I liked Forbes last year, he overachieved. Now he's come back down to earth and the guy he was replacing is back. I'm sorry Forbes but either you need to be playing the Patty role OR go to another team. He by no means should be starting. Walker needs to replace him asap.
    Mostly agree with what you are saying... But this league is now a "3 point shot" league. The Spurs don't have the personnel to compete in every game. The spurs can not shoot 8-29 in threes when teams like the Hawks are 19-40 in threes. The spurs shot 30% of the their shot from the three when hawks and other teams are approaching shooting closes to 50% of the shots from the three. Also can we get a real SF and a shooting PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly agree with what you are saying... But this league is now a "3 point shot" league. The Spurs don't have the personnel to compete in every game. The spurs can not shoot 8-29 in threes when teams like the Hawks are 19-40 in threes. The spurs shot 30% of the their shot from the three when hawks and other teams are approaching shooting closes to 50% of the shots from the three. Also can we get a real SF and a shooting PG.
    That's by choice. They zig, we zag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And of course here he is blaming the team: "It's always the same thing that happens, the senile coach goes and plays his pets and the team gives up unneccessary points in the 4th quarter." Oh wait, that's not what he said.

I rewatched the game on NBA replays. Pop said the team just stood around in the first half.

That is an outright lie. The team was quite active. What he said about the team not executing doen the stretch was dishonest, too.

I believe what really irritated Pop was that his strategy to control Trae Young didn't work out. What Pop tried, was to double Young, using a guard and whichever big was on the court, either LMA or Poeltl. You'll see that numerous times in the game. Of course when you do that, it leaves the rest of the defense playing 3 on 4. If Young gets a pass away, there will be an open man. The Hawks noticed that. Of course.

That's what happened on the late 3 pointer that gave the Hawks the lead. The double team, from Patty and Poeltl, did stop Young from shooting, but it couldn't keep him from passing. The Hawks' pass found the weak spot, where there was only Murray between two Hawks.

Also, if you watch that, you'll see it was a designed play. When that nifty behind-the-back pass from Young got the ball away from the double team, look at Collins instantly go and body up to Murray, at the edge of the lane, to slow him down and keep him from getting to the 3pt shooter. It was perfectly executed by the Hawks. Kinda like they had a real coach.

Lloyd Pierce outcoached Pop, for the win. He beat Pop's double-team strategy against Young, to get the team an open 3 pointer from the corner.

To top it all, Pop's inbounds play, to try to make the final shot, was stupid. There's no other word for it. Pop spread the team out, all over the court, so the Hawks could cover everybody cleanly, 1 on 1, with no screen for anybody to help inbound the ball. Dreadful.

But according to Pop it was the players' fault. They "didn't execute." Yeah, right, Pop, whatever you say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rewatched the game on NBA replays. Pop said the team just stood around in the first half.

That is an outright lie. The team was quite active. What he said about the team not executing doen the stretch was dishonest, too.

I believe what really irritated Pop was that his strategy to control Trae Young didn't work out. What Pop tried, was to double Young, using a guard and whichever big was on the court, either LMA or Poeltl. You'll see that numerous times in the game. Of course when you do that, it leaves the rest of the defense playing 3 on 4. If Young gets a pass away, there will be an open man. The Hawks noticed that. Of course.

That's what happened on the late 3 pointer that gave the Hawks the lead. The double team, from Patty and Poeltl, did stop Young from shooting, but it couldn't keep him from passing. The Hawks' pass found the weak spot, where there was only Murray between two Hawks.

Also, if you watch that, you'll see it was a designed play. When that nifty behind-the-back pass from Young got the ball away from the double team, look at Collins instantly go and body up to Murray, at the edge of the lane, to slow him down and keep him from getting to the 3pt shooter. It was perfectly executed by the Hawks. Kinda like they had a real coach.

Lloyd Pierce outcoached Pop, for the win. He beat Pop's double-team strategy against Young, to get the team an open 3 pointer from the corner.

To top it all, Pop's inbounds play, to try to make the final shot, was stupid. There's no other word for it. Pop spread the team out, all over the court, so the Hawks could cover everybody cleanly, 1 on 1, with no screen for anybody to help inbound the ball. Dreadful.

But according to Pop it was the players' fault. They "didn't execute." Yeah, right, Pop, whatever you say.
    Great observation

Thread Information