Page 19 of 115 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs got the 3rd pick, would Toppin or Wiseman be chosen if they were both on the board?
    When you're picking high, the rules are different than late round picks. Toppin is already 22. You should kind of expect him to play really well against primarily younger and less experienced players in college. That's why most draft analysts penalize older players. They've already developed part way, and have less of a ceiling. Wiseman dominated at the age of 19. That's the pick to make.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs got the 3rd pick, would Toppin or Wiseman be chosen if they were both on the board?
    Wiseman. But if only obi topin were 2yrs younger thats a no brainer, he would be the best guy in this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I finally got the tankathon simulator to have the Spurs win. They picked Anthony Edwards, a 6'5" SG. The meltdown here would be epic.
    Edwards may be the next D. Wade but there are no sure things in this draft. No can't misses.

I'd go with Wiseman.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the organization’s thought process is to draft a player so they can develop for 2yrs in the G-league in then miraculously develop into a key starter (has that ever happened for the spurs?)..Vs drafting a starter now...we’re f’d. Thats not a winning mentality. Draft a lesser talent in hopes that they can one day be as good as the better talent that you passed on.
    The only way this franchise is going to have a chance to regain prominence in the future, is by either completely bottoming out, picking at or near the top of the draft for a few years and lucking into a no brainer superstar and/or star or by generally selecting high ceiling/low floor types and hoping one of them becomes that. Taking a conservative low ceiling/high floor approach, will turn them into the next Hornets.

I say that as someone who, presuming the draft plays out similar to projections, is in favor of selecting Vassell, who best case scenario is probably elite role player. But in general, they've had the right approach in recent seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you're picking high, the rules are different than late round picks. Toppin is already 22. You should kind of expect him to play really well against primarily younger and less experienced players in college. That's why most draft analysts penalize older players. They've already developed part way, and have less of a ceiling. Wiseman dominated at the age of 19. That's the pick to make.
    there is no generał rule.
    draft 1997
    #1 Duncan 21 y
    #3 Billups 20y
    #9 McGrady 18 y
    #14 Mo 20y
    #23 Jackson 24

You are right that some extra pros having younger guys but Waseman has some red flags

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im wonderin about the effectiveness of Aaron Neismith. 52% from 3. He played 14games last season. He had a good luck or a weak opponents? or maybe hes just a great shooter and can do the same or at least similar numbers on nba? If he is really so good why projected in the mid of 1st round? Because of his defense? But u can learn how to defend much faster than shooting 3s with such a high effectiveness...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there is no generał rule.
    draft 1997
    #1 Duncan 21 y
    #3 Billups 20y
    #9 McGrady 18 y
    #14 Mo 20y
    #23 Jackson 24

You are right that some extra pros having younger guys but Waseman has some red flags
    That might as well be the 1927 draft. Nothing has been the same since Garnett. What started as a few drops, became first a trickle, then a torrent. If you stay 4 years, it’s because you weren’t good enough to be drafted earlier in your college career. That in itself is now a red flag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the organization’s thought process is to draft a player so they can develop for 2yrs in the G-league in then miraculously develop into a key starter (has that ever happened for the spurs?)..Vs drafting a starter now...we’re f’d. Thats not a winning mentality. Draft a lesser talent in hopes that they can one day be as good as the better talent that you passed on.
    The 11th pick is historically a poor draft spot. In the last 32 years, Klay Thompson, Reggie Miller, Allan Houston and Robert Horry were the best picks by far.

Who cares or not whether the player select is ready day one? If they select, say, Maledon or Hampton then they must think that there's a pretty decent chance that player can develop into a very good player- even if it takes time.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going on the record against Okoro. No shooting, no playmaking, not super gifted as a skill player. Don't see anything there except for a physical slasher, which is what Keldon is turning into already. We can do better/get more utility and talent than that at 11.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the Spurs do draw #3, and Wiseman is still on the board, they take him.
    This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going on the record against Okoro. No shooting, no playmaking, not super gifted as a skill player. Don't see anything there except for a physical slasher, which is what Keldon is turning into already. We can do better/get more utility and talent than that at 11.
    Between Okoro and Vassell, i'd take Vassell. He's a 40% 3pt shooter on a pretty good amount of attempts over two seasons and is a solid defender. Getting a 19 year old player who is already capable as a 3 and D player is good for the 11th pick.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Between Okoro and Vassell, i'd take Vassell. He's a 40% 3pt shooter on a pretty good amount of attempts over two seasons and is a solid defender. Getting a 19 year old player who is already capable as a 3 and D player is good for the 11th pick.
    My only thing against Vassell is a lack of vertical ability. How is he laterally?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you underestimate his D, you Can fix his shoot. Imo he is probably the best wing defender of this draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said in that same post, all the other 11th picks. I clarified in an earlier post as well. Most 11th picks are rotation players and even starting in half their games in year one. Leonard never played in the GLeague at pick 15 and that was when the Spurs were significantly better. I just don’t see it happening for our 11th pick. I guess you do but that’s your opinion.
    Things were different back then. Corey Joseph who was drafted 29th the same draft as Kawhi had to ask to go to the g league. The Spurs did not just send them there to start with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say that I wouldn't object to a trade down in this draft (from 11, not the top if we get lucky), but it would be a draft day deal, as it all depends who's sitting there for us at 11... I mean people are saying Vassel would be a good pick, and he might be. But how much more does Vassel give you over Abdoulaye N'doye as a prospect, especially when you can get N'Doye at 41?

Say 11 to boston fot 17 and 25? If that's Vassel for Saddiq Bey and Pokusevski, I'm comfortable with the FO making that call... But it's such a hard draft to make that kind of call in, because without the NCAA tournament, the projected boards are all over the place...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be wary about trading down because so much is subject to change with regards to rankings or perceived rankings in a normal draft, let alone a bad draft like this (at the top) and then with the lockdown stuff and lack of a combine/workouts thrown in ...

Every year there's guys who shoot up the boards and that will happen this year but people may not realize it compared to prior years. I remember when people on ST were speculating about being able to grab Giannis or Elfrid Payton or DeAndre Hunter or dozens of other guys during the NBA season who just kept rising well out of the range of their pick.

I expect bigger flux this year, especially with less media contact and rubbing shoulders with team executives allowing the news of people going up boards to trickle down through the media.

So while it's easy now to say, trade down for this guy or that guy, those guys could already be gone by the picks the Spurs would move down to.

I expect more surprising picks this year as a result. I think there will be players mocked late teens or twenties who go in the late lottery or even 7-10.

For instance now my guy Patrick Williams is routinely mocked or ranked on big boards around 18-40 and I don't know if he'll even be there at 11. Once teams focus on him and see his size and skill at his age and with the need for players his size archetype I could see him soar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I prefer to trade up into the top four if possible.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading down makes also sense. This draft is pretty weak but lots of guys seem to be at similar "level". If we trade with boston then we could have nesmith (great 3pt shooter SF) plus one of the bigs (vernon/smith/reed/williams). Imo tradin down with boston>tradin up to top4>stayin with 11th pick>tradin up to 5-10. But i doubt anyone will give up top4 pick for our 11th + keldon or samanic.
    Last edited by spurspl; 05-10-2020 at 09:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t have anything to get us there

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    except boston i can see a potential tradin down with jazz: gobert+pick for lma+pick (or poeltl,gay +pick). Then we can draft PF like smith/reed/williams. murray/white/loonie/smith/gobert. Potentially the best def team, only 3pt shooting to improve.
    Last edited by spurspl; 05-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I prefer we get the number 1 draft pick! I have spoken so shall it be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm falling in love with the idea of drafting Precious Achiuwa with our pick. 7'2.5 wingspan. Can dribble the ball in transition. Has flashes of the euro step. Hes rated low because people think hes going to be a PF or C in the NBA. I see him as a SF. What separates him is he doesnt look like a stiff stretch 4 like Patrick Williams or someone like Toppin. He is also built as . Reminds me a LOT of Kawhi Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm falling in love with the idea of drafting Precious Achiuwa with our pick. 7'2.5 wingspan. Can dribble the ball in transition. Has flashes of the euro step. Hes rated low because people think hes going to be a PF or C in the NBA. I see him as a SF. What separates him is he doesnt look like a stiff stretch 4 like Patrick Williams or someone like Toppin. He is also built as . Reminds me a LOT of Kawhi Leonard.
    kl2? Not even close with awfull FT mechanics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kl2? Not even close with awfull FT mechanics
    Chip. England.

Thread Information