Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i disagree. there's good GMs, etc. and bad ones. i think masai knew who demar really was. and was smart enough to "risk" moving him for kawhi.

also, the warriors had solid rosters / would still be favorites if durant never left. they didn't want to move him for DLo.

most (all?) teams were smart enough to not offer much for la and / or demar.

spurs were smart for drafting outside america but the rest of the league caught up with that.
    That wasn't a risk, it was the equivalent of finding a wallet with a lot of money in it.

Because of a mostly lucky run of drafting that netted them Curry, Thompson, Green.

By that logic, certain teams would never fall and others would never rise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess: the Knicks. They’ll pay him as much as he can make, and as many years as he’s allowed. They’ve been so Star starved, they’ll squint, and see him as a franchise guy.
    Praying to the stars above you're right.

We need to end this "era" of Spurs basketball as quickly as possible and start collecting lottery picks (and hopefully that translating to wins).

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point DeRozan is nothing but downside. He won them some early season games but now that the games are starting to mean something he's not taking the team anywhere. So if he's in his 30s and not winning us games now, what exactly is the point of having him here? To stunt the growth of Walker, Vassell, and Keldon? He is negative value to the team, might as well buy him out too.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like a few people here, I see this as a sign and trade. Possibly for a team looking to upgrade their roster. Something like:

ATL: DeRozan
    SAS: Gallinari & ATL 2021 1st

This way they can still resign Collins. Certainly solidifies ATL as a top 4-5 team in the East.

For the Spurs it gives them a vet off the bench to replace Gay and of course a pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Towns isn’t a FA, and Minny won’t trade him, since his contract isn’t up until 2024. He’s expressed an interest in staying,
    Towns is available. But they want an AX/Harden haul.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    That wasn't a risk, it was the equivalent of finding a wallet with a lot of money in it.
    then why didn't the spurs get a better deal for kawhi?

Because of a mostly lucky run of drafting that netted them Curry, Thompson, Green.
    draft is skill and luck.

By that logic, certain teams would never fall and others would never rise.
    wtf

how on earth are you arguing that some FOs aren't smarter than others?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this is exactly what I was getting at, tbh. I know Spurs fans know that DeRozan's value is pretty limited in today's NBA. If someone like Evan Fournier was worth two second round draft picks, DeRozan's value to other teams is somewhere in that neighborhood, too. In fact, it's not a stretch to say Fournier has more universal appeal than DeRozan at this point in time, if only because he's a shooter.

We can pretend DeRozan is a major asset that the Spurs would be foolish to let walk. But if we're going to be realistic about it, we can admit that DeRozan is most likely worth a couple of second round draft picks, at most.
    DDR has now been under the tutelage of world's renowned coach Popovich, his trade value should be magnitudes higher than when the Spurs acquired him, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like a few people here, I see this as a sign and trade. Possibly for a team looking to upgrade their roster. Something like:

This way they can still resign Collins. Certainly solidifies ATL as a top 4-5 team in the East.

For the Spurs it gives them a vet off the bench to replace Gay and of course a pick.
    Gallinari is 32, plays no defense, and is barely a replacement level player. This isn’t Gallo from 5 years ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for him. Let him shop around for a deal, and if the price is right Spurs still have the cap space to effectively outbid almost everyone if they choose.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Towns is available. But they want an AX/Harden haul.
    Do you think the Spurs could put together a package to get him, or do you think they don't have the assets to even get their hats in the ring? He's starting to be my number one preferred target right now, and I'd probably be OK with trading anyone on the team. Lonnie, I want to keep at give one more year to see what he can do, but if he's required in a package, I'd probably let him go too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think the Spurs could put together a package to get him, or do you think they don't have the assets to even get their hats in the ring? He's starting to be my number one preferred target right now, and I'd probably be OK with trading anyone on the team. Lonnie, I want to keep at give one more year to see what he can do, but if he's required in a package, I'd probably let him go too.
    The problem is, if you put that package together, your cupboard is bare, you get Towns, and you’re the Timberwolves. You’d have three years, maybe only two, to get more assets, and win, or he could walk for nothing, and we’d be worse off than now. Think DJ and Derrick for salaries, plus Walker and Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, I would think something is wrong with him if he wants to stay here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nobody is doing a first (even a far future first) as part of an S&T. You might be able to get something out of a franchise that has already mortgaged it's future, eg Chicago:

SAS : Sato + Markannen (S&T)
    CHI : Derozan (S&T)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is, if you put that package together, your cupboard is bare, you get Towns, and you’re the Timberwolves. You’d have three years, maybe only two, to get more assets, and win, or he could walk for nothing, and we’d be worse off than now. Think DJ and Derrick for salaries, plus Walker and Vassell.
    Yeah, I see your point, I'm still interested in taking a chance on him becoming a better player here that he ever was with the Timberwolves, but yeah, like you said, we'd probably have to give up too much to get him, so we'd be back to square one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody is doing a first (even a far future first) as part of an S&T. You might be able to get something out of a franchise that has already mortgaged it's future, eg Chicago:

SAS : Sato + Markannen (S&T)
    CHI : Derozan (S&T)
    How is the logic both that the Spurs wouldn't be able to get even a late, late 1st back for DD in a S&T, and also that a team like the Bulls would gladly ship out a lottery pick prospect in Lauri back for getting DeRozan? Don't get me wrong, I'd take DeRozan to the airport myself if that offer was on the table, but seems wholly unrealistic tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling DDR is just going to walk at the end of this season. With the lack of winning success he's brought the Spurs, I can't see them being willing to invest a lot to keep him. I'd be shocked at a sign and trade. It doesn't look like the Spurs have many willing trade partners out there that would provide us with any real value in return. We'll be a team of middle to late first and second round draft picks next season. Probably will be a long year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need young athletic dudes willing to go for it. Use your young guards you have. Need depth at SF PF and C (lol). Maybe catch lightening in a bottle with the young ones putting it together.
    Right now the young one look to the vets and get nothing.
    Pitch the young ones into the deep end of the pool. Sink or swim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need young athletic dudes willing to go for it. Use your young guards you have. Need depth at SF PF and C (lol). Maybe catch lightening in a bottle with the young ones putting it together.
    Right now the young one look to the vets and get nothing.
    Pitch the young ones into the deep end of the pool. Sink or swim
    It's definitely the way it's going. Maybe there's a vet minimum player or two to provide some mentoring. Pop used to know how to properly use those type of guys to support the growth of the younger players. I guess the team's limited talent dictates that guys like Mills and Rudy play about twice as much as they should.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally think the Spurs should target a guy who is the centerpiece of a perennially dysfunctional 13-39 team infamous for low effort.

KAT’s nickname should be “Absentee Voter,” because he just mails it in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is the logic both that the Spurs wouldn't be able to get even a late, late 1st back for DD in a S&T, and also that a team like the Bulls would gladly ship out a lottery pick prospect in Lauri back for getting DeRozan? Don't get me wrong, I'd take DeRozan to the airport myself if that offer was on the table, but seems wholly unrealistic tbh
    Lauri hasn't exactly been pulling up trees for CHI, and is going to want to get paid. You could say he's been a bust; he definitely hasn't lived up to expectations. Does he fit with Vuc (and Lavine)? Not convinced myself (I think they need a stronger defender in the 4 spot with Vuc on the floor). So there are plenty of reasons to move him for value. Also, he's a RFA, he may also want out of CHI.

CHI on the other hand, post Vuc trade (which I think was a mistake for them, but not my problem), is committed to being a good team. Right now, they are 6 games into the Vuc era and are 2-4... If that doesn't improve significantly... Well, they will need to improve and they can't move more picks. They don't have the cap space to get Deroz directly; he might be the individual best FA left on the market. It gives them a big 3 who can all get their own shot. You can probably make a starting lineup that fits with Lavine and Vuc, because they can shoot the 3...

This doesn't cost CHI much by way of sunk costs. If they get Deroz, he's going to eat Sato's minutes anyway (and I've discussed Markannen's issues already).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have seen Markkanen, and don’t want to pay him, allegedly. A pick is an unknown, with infinite promise right up until he steps onto the floor. In other words, basketball beer goggles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a feeling DDR is just going to walk at the end of this season. With the lack of winning success he's brought the Spurs, I can't see them being willing to invest a lot to keep him. I'd be shocked at a sign and trade. It doesn't look like the Spurs have many willing trade partners out there that would provide us with any real value in return. We'll be a team of middle to late first and second round draft picks next season. Probably will be a long year.
    This is correct. The DDR-LMA-Gay Spurs have run their course. We all will remember fondly that one time they pushed the Denver Nuggets to seven games in the first round. Let’s tip our hats to the Medium 3.

Next year starts the string of 60-loss seasons for however many years it takes until the lottery balls bounce the right way. We can pass the time over those years (1) convincing ourselves that Johnson/Vassell/Murray/whoever is about to make that big leap, or (2) enjoying San Antonio’s surprisingly compe ive park system and entertainment districts in the warm South Texas late spring while other cities’ teams are in the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gallinari is 32, plays no defense, and is barely a replacement level player. This isn’t Gallo from 5 years ago.
    Gallinari would be good for this team off the bench hitting threes. Plus like I said it is also a salary dump for ATL. We’ll have the salary to give if DeRozan isn’t here. The prize for the Spurs is the pick. They’ll have to give up a pick to get rid of Gallinari anyway so they might as well get better with DeRozan. Anyway, that’s just one option. There are other teams in the east who can do similar trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich will give him Supermax and buy him out in 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have seen Markkanen, and don’t want to pay him, allegedly. A pick is an unknown, with infinite promise right up until he steps onto the floor. In other words, basketball beer goggles.
    ST has more members with basketball beer goggles than a bar at closing time.

Thread Information