14 boards by DJ!

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You must not have watched them do really, really, dumb things like compete against themselves for a rebound and lose it to the other team and other nonsense 10 times a game. Our lone center refuses to dunk. We just started shooting 3s yesterday and only manage like 5 made per game when the league average is 40. Our point guard can't dribble. The most naturally talented and watch-worthy guys on the team other than Derozan don't take lots of shots. Pop doesn't gameplan or call plays. We leave the opponents best 3-point shooters open on literally every possession. No one on the team instinctively recognizes game situations except maybe Devin.

There are reasons.

-This post is hyperbolic but not far enough away from the truth.
    I mean, yeah I did...? It's not like I'm calling this team perfect, or above reproach or betterment, tbh. The truth is we're still far away from true contention, and I'd still like for the Spurs to timely tank one season and nab a true centerpiece from the lottery. I can, at the same time, acknowledge that the team's effort level and playing level are markedly improved in regards to last season - and the fact that it's made even better because it's at the hands of the youngings. Lonnie is playing markedly better (though far from perfect); so is DJ, and so is Keldon. Seriously, brighten up.

The rest of your takes are hyperbolic nonsense. Just started shooting 3's yesterday? What? Our PG can't dribble? What? We don't leave shooters open "on every possession", though the defensive gameplan is admittedly outdated. Overall, though, it's clear that you're hard pressed at watching NOTHING but the bad things about this team. Did you even enjoy watching the game and W? I seriously wonder this sometimes, reading some of the things y'all post on here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My observations:

- Physical finish. Who plays in tomorrow’s game? KJ, Dejounte, LMA all took physical contact towards the end of the game. With the Spurs getting the W, wonder if anybody rests on what turned out to be a physical start of a b2b.

- DDR read and played against the zone perfectly. With DDR seemingly attacking and scoring at will inside, T’Wolves went to a zone to stem the attack. Derozan picked his spots and created numerous open shot opps. for the team. When they switched back to man, he outclassed his primary defender and drew a key foul on ANT-Man, nailed the free throws etc. A sublime game for DDR.

- LMA engaged defensively is the key to this team’s ceiling. For 2 straight games, I thought LMA was a plus on the defensive end. He got beaten on a couple of P’nPops but the team benefitted greatly (for the most part) with his engaged play on that end. Not every team has a KAT or Anthony Davis so he needs to bring the same mindset going forward no matter the opposition.

- Vassell’s impact belies the box score. The kid’s a stud. He got blocked by Naz Reid, a huge, for most, confidence shaking block. Yet he’s up the other end competing, going into next play mode. I hope Lonnie is taking notes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We would have won handedly if we could get literally anything out of our backup center...

So far this season when Poeltl has been on the floor we are playing 3.5 on 5 offensively
    That's a roundabout way to say you were dead wrong on your hot take, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My observations:

- Physical finish. Who plays in tomorrow’s game? KJ, Dejounte, LMA all took physical contact towards the end of the game. With the Spurs getting the W, wonder if anybody rests on what turned out to be a physical start of a b2b.

- DDR read and played against the zone perfectly. With DDR seemingly attacking and scoring at will inside, T’Wolves went to a zone to stem the attack. Derozan picked his spots and created numerous open shot opps. for the team. When they switched back to man, he outclassed his primary defender and drew a key foul on ANT-Man, nailed the free throws etc. A sublime game for DDR.

- LMA engaged defensively is the key to this team’s ceiling. For 2 straight games, I thought LMA was a plus on the defensive end. He got beaten on a couple of P’nPops but the team benefitted greatly (for the most part) with his engaged play on that end. Not every team has a KAT or Anthony Davis so he needs to bring the same mindset going forward no matter the opposition.

- Vassell’s impact belies the box score. The kid’s a stud. He got blocked by Naz Reid, a huge, for most, confidence shaking block. Yet he’s up the other end competing, going into next play mode. I hope Lonnie is taking notes.
    Finally, some reading-worthy analysis of the game. Much appreciated.

I think, actually, the first one to sit tomorrow will be Towns. He was taking a beating on some portions of tonight's game, and I saw him grabbing his injured hand several times. Wouldn't surprise me if he's not giving 100% effort or even minutes limited tomorrow, especially considering it's the second leg of a B2B and he's just coming off injury. But I also can see the Spurs vets getting limited minutes. I predict we'll see some Luka and Tre tomorrow - especially if one team or the other manages to pull away early. Tonight was strangely even matched down to the wire.

Agree on the rest. Both LMA and DD played good to great games. Vassell looks to be the real deal in terms of a 3&D prospect - though I still fail to see potential anywhere beyond that. It's not like getting a surefire 3&D player at #11 is bad or anything close to it, but he really looks to be living up to his high floor, low ceiling* pre-draft scouting reports. The key to expanding his game will be developing an NBA-calibre dribble, and I don't think it's out of reason for him to do so. An exciting prospect, for sure, and a sight for sore eyes after last season's No-D efforts.
    Last edited by Sugus; 01-09-2021 at 11:28 PM.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, yeah I did...? It's not like I'm calling this team perfect, or above reproach or betterment, tbh. The truth is we're still far away from true contention, and I'd still like for the Spurs to timely tank one season and nab a true centerpiece from the lottery. I can, at the same time, acknowledge that the team's effort level and playing level are markedly improved in regards to last season - and the fact that it's made even better because it's at the hands of the youngings. Lonnie is playing markedly better (though far from perfect); so is DJ, and so is Keldon. Seriously, brighten up.

The rest of your takes are hyperbolic nonsense. Just started shooting 3's yesterday? What? Our PG can't dribble? What? We don't leave shooters open "on every possession", though the defensive gameplan is admittedly outdated. Overall, though, it's clear that you're hard pressed at watching NOTHING but the bad things about this team. Did you even enjoy watching the game and W? I seriously wonder this sometimes, reading some of the things y'all post on here.
    I didn't enjoy this win much, no tbh lol. It was kind of frustrating. We are one of the "dumb" teams now and this win fell in our laps in spite of us. We are dependent on Patty Mills for scoring....not just timely 3s in the last couple minutes, but to pace us in games as well. It's not a good look.

I'm not saying there aren't good things about the team, but fixing the problems, especially when the problems are mostly boneheaded nonsense (like doubling off of known 3 point shooters) criticizing that stuff comes 10 times over before praising some embarrassing upward fail of a win.

I don't know that we did anything particularly well this game. Just caught a couple breaks against a similarly goofy team.

I will cop to pessimism, absolutely, but there are reasons.

Edit: You KNOW DJ's handles are below average for a starting point guard. That was not one of the hyperbolic bits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tom Petrini
    realTomPetrini
    3m
    "Definitely not the 82nd best player in the league, I'll damn sure tell you that" -Dejounte, with a big smile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have your glass half full people and your glass half empty people. Each have something to contribute, and it only becomes extremely flawed when one side makes absurd statements such as, "DJ has a high dribble though" and won't budge on that dumb opinion even when said player is doing a superb job so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't enjoy this win much, no tbh lol. It was kind of frustrating. We are one of the "dumb" teams now and this win fell in our laps in spite of us. We are dependent on Patty Mills for scoring....not just timely 3s in the last couple minutes, but to pace us in games as well. It's not a good look.

I'm not saying there aren't good things about the team, but fixing the problems, especially when the problems are mostly boneheaded nonsense (like doubling off of known 3 point shooters) criticizing that stuff comes 10 times over before praising some embarrassing upward fail of a win.

I don't know that we did anything particularly well this game. Just caught a couple breaks against a similarly goofy team.

I will cop to pessimism, absolutely, but there are reasons.
    Ok, now THIS is a more level-headed take. I can work with it, much better than the last one.

I also thought tonight's game was far from spectacular. BUT you ignore a monumental aspect of getting "bad wins" - redundant as it may be, they are getting the Ws. Yes, they didn't play their best game, there were countless little (and big) mistakes to be addressed... Yet they managed to stay on their feet the entire game and bring it home. Having forced myself to watch the entirety of last season, the effort level alone is commendable, tbh - and again, the fact that it was coming out of the young players makes it doubly so. Yes, it was Patty scoring the points - but who was facilitating for him to score? Some of DJ's passes to him were noteworthy, tbh. The offense is markedly fluid and democratic, and we're able now to feed different players at no detriment to the others (unlike last season, where a DJ entry pass to LMA on the block took an entire 10 seconds away from the possession and guaranteed a contested-fadeaway-turnaround jumper).

The big difference between good and bad teams, through an NBA season, is whether they let themselves get beaten by lesser teams or not, on any given night. You're never gonna have a team that goes 100% every game, every night - the question is, can your team's 70-80% still chunk out a W, ugly as it may? The Spurs of this season, so far, have been proving that yes, they can. Maybe it's just that I compare this season too much to last one, but the effort level alone is undisputably changed, and a SIGHT for sore eyes, to the point that I don't understand how anyone could've watched all of last season and STILL complain about this one. Seriously, have we so quickly forgotten Forbes AND Beli closing out games for us?

I don't think tonight was an "embarrassing upward fail of a win". We can agree to disagree there. It was just a win. Ugly? Yes... But there's no beauty meter in the NBA, only results, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the point of non-vanilla takes when they're absolutely wrong? You were flinging at the walls to see if anything stuck all game long, tbh, and were dead wrong in every one of your assumptions. Hurray for non-vanilla takes, I guess...?

Funny that you still can't manage to bring yourself to say the Spurs grinded out a good W. It would've undeniably been a loss last season - and that sort of linear, upwards progression is valuable regardless of anything else, tbh. Especially considering it's mostly at the hands of our young players.
    I was wrong about them losing, but everything else I said was spot on. This is a low-IQ team that plays the worst defense in the NBA even with the turd bros off the team, and there was nothing good about grinding out a win against the worst team in the NBA. Just because you wanna show off your inner homer doesn't make any of it better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, now THIS is a more level-headed take. I can work with it, much better than the last one.

I also thought tonight's game was far from spectacular. BUT you ignore a monumental aspect of getting "bad wins" - redundant as it may be, they are getting the Ws. Yes, they didn't play their best game, there were countless little (and big) mistakes to be addressed... Yet they managed to stay on their feet the entire game and bring it home. Having forced myself to watch the entirety of last season, the effort level alone is commendable, tbh - and again, the fact that it was coming out of the young players makes it doubly so. Yes, it was Patty scoring the points - but who was facilitating for him to score? Some of DJ's passes to him were noteworthy, tbh. The offense is markedly fluid and democratic, and we're able now to feed different players at no detriment to the others (unlike last season, where a DJ entry pass to LMA on the block took an entire 10 seconds away from the possession and guaranteed a contested-fadeaway-turnaround jumper).

The big difference between good and bad teams, through an NBA season, is whether they let themselves get beaten by lesser teams or not, on any given night. You're never gonna have a team that goes 100% every game, every night - the question is, can your team's 70-80% still chunk out a W, ugly as it may? The Spurs of this season, so far, have been proving that yes, they can. Maybe it's just that I compare this season too much to last one, but the effort level alone is undisputably changed, and a SIGHT for sore eyes, to the point that I don't understand how anyone could've watched all of last season and STILL complain about this one. Seriously, have we so quickly forgotten Forbes AND Beli closing out games for us?

I don't think tonight was an "embarrassing upward fail of a win". We can agree to disagree there. It was just a win. Ugly? Yes... But there's no beauty meter in the NBA, only results, tbh.
    Grinding out bad wins is vital to any team. Some fans are just stupid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have your glass half full people and your glass half empty people. Each have something to contribute, and it only becomes extremely flawed when one side makes absurd statements such as, "DJ has a high dribble though" and won't budge on that dumb opinion even when said player is doing a superb job so far.
    That’s not pointed at me is it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Low IQ team" is a hyperbole. There are a few with bad IQ (Rudy, Patty, Lonnie sometimes, DJ sometimes) but as a whole? Nah.

Also, when Derrick comes back it raises the IQ by ten notches, and that's not a slight towards DJ. Derrick makes his impact in different ways that has nothing to do with the point guard role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edit: You KNOW DJ's handles are below average for a starting point guard. That was not one of the hyperbolic bits.
    Wait, you edited your comment, no fair. Glad that I caught it. I'm not disagreeing there at all! That's what you're not understanding - I can be happy with a W, and also acknowledge that there's a lot of work to be done still. Dejounte's handles need a LOT of work (his late-game turnover against the Fakers was evidence enough, never mind this game or any other), but it doesn't overshade the fact that he's markedly better at most other areas of his game (and I'd actually argue that his handles are better than last season, though it's not quantifiable at all beyond TO rate). As Dejounte says, just a glass-full, glass-empty approach to games that you and I have, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think, actually, the first one to sit tomorrow will be Towns. He was taking a beating on some portions of tonight's game, and I saw him grabbing his injured hand several times. Wouldn't surprise me if he's not giving 100% effort or even minutes limited tomorrow, especially considering it's the second leg of a B2B and he's just coming off injury. But I also can see the Spurs vets getting limited minutes. I predict we'll see some Luka and Tre tomorrow - especially if one team or the other manages to pull away early. Tonight was strangely even matched down to the wire.

Agree on the rest. Both LMA and DD played good to great games. Vassell looks to be the real deal in terms of a 3&D prospect - though I still fail to see potential anywhere beyond that. It's not like getting a surefire 3&D player at #11 is bad or anything close to it, but he really looks to be living up to his high ceiling, low floor pre-draft scouting reports. The key to expanding his game will be developing an NBA-calibre dribble, and I don't think it's out of reason for him to do so. An exciting prospect, for sure, and a sight for sore eyes after last season's No-D efforts.
    You mean low-ceiling, high floor, right? High ceiling suggests he'd be more than just a 3 and D guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s not pointed at me is it?
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree on the rest. Both LMA and DD played good to great games. Vassell looks to be the real deal in terms of a 3&D prospect - though I still fail to see potential anywhere beyond that. It's not like getting a surefire 3&D player at #11 is bad or anything close to it, but he really looks to be living up to his high ceiling, low floor pre-draft scouting reports. The key to expanding his game will be developing an NBA-calibre dribble, and I don't think it's out of reason for him to do so. An exciting prospect, for sure, and a sight for sore eyes after last season's No-D efforts.
    One thing I’ve noticed from Vassell is that he is very adept at reading defences and makes solid passes. His court vision I feel is much better than advertised. If, like you have suggested, he can keep improving his handles and shot creation capability; I do see a bit of “good” Paul George type play possibly in his future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wrong about them losing, but everything else I said was spot on. This is a low-IQ team that plays the worst defense in the NBA even with the turd bros off the team, and there was nothing good about grinding out a win against the worst team in the NBA. Just because you wanna show off your inner homer doesn't make any of it better.
    Disagree on low-IQ. We have low-IQ players, that are notably likely to go off the team in the short term, but the core of the team is not bad in that regard. White is clearly high IQ, so is Keldon, so is Vassell - I'm inclined to say Lonnie isn't showing it right now at his best, but also is. Rudy Gay being a low IQ player is hardly on my concern list, tbh. Also, drop some statistics if you're gonna be hyperbolic - I absolutely doubt the Spurs are the "worst defense in the NBA", especially considering we've just played the actual worst defensive team in the NBA. You also have the Wizards... Though I doubt you're catching up on their games. Seriously, drop me a stat or two, because there's not a lot of substance to your claims otherwise, especially when they're easily disputed by the eye test (the Spurs didn't do league-worst-defense bad this game, tbqh).

The Spurs are pretty unarguably better on defense than last season, tbh. It's still too early for trustworthy stats, but I have little doubt that they'll back up what I claim in time. Are we league best? No, nor close to it. But better than last season, which is enough for me right now as a watcher. Also, saying "nothing good about grinding out a W" is HILARIOUS after most of ST (myself included) spent the entirety of last season ting on this team for not closing out games, and losing winnable games against lesser compe ion. You seriously don't remember the 20pt embarrassment losses against the Bulls? The Hawks? The Cavs (one of them on Parker's retirement jersey night, if I'm not mistaken)? And now you say there's nothing good about grinding out W's? Come on..... Completely detached take from the continuity reality of this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean low-ceiling, high floor, right? High ceiling suggests he'd be more than just a 3 and D guy.
    blunder on my part, Padre. You sure read between my lines. Thanks, fixed

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree that the guys are more tenacious than last year. The team shouldn't rest on that though.

Don't get me too wrong though, yes, we should all acknowledge that there has been noticeable improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grinding out bad wins is vital to any team. Some fans are just stupid.
    Totally agreed - especially since, beyond any of our wishes, it's clear the Spurs are -bent on making the POs this season. THIS kind of game, exactly, kept us out of the POs last season, and posters are complaining even though we're winning them now? Smh...

Thread Information