Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    All this Kubrick talk made me think of my favorite.

Damn, that cryptic, sinister music! Just like with Lawrence of Arabia I can't say enough good things about it. OP have you seen Clockwork Orange?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers

Damn, that cryptic, sinister music! Just like with Lawrence of Arabia I can't say enough good things about it. OP have you seen Clockwork Orange?
    shut up ya

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Who the are you talking to?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Who the are you talking to?
    Being your the in this thread, hmmmm?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I'm a fan of TCM. Love the classics.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'm a fan of TCM. Love the classics.
    Absolutely. It's just a damn shame as they came in AMC & Bob Dorian sold out. He was terrific as well. Having both would have been sweet.

The only bone I have with TCM is Robert Osborne. He a liberal and you'd think he'd have enough sense, restraint and decency to leave it outside the studio there. No. The older he gets the more liberties he takes,,,the more shots he interjects.

The .

When Mankiewicz hosts I have no idea his political affiliation. Absolutely none because he understands & respects the responsibility he has been entrusted.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Yeah. Of course. Read the book first and have seen the movie several times. The first was as a teenager so of course I thought it was badass due to the weirdness of it. But have watched is as an adult and appreciate it as a movie and not just a trippy violent music video. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 of movies but Kubrik did a fantastic job capturing Burgess' work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah. Of course. Read the book first and have seen the movie several times. The first was as a teenager so of course I thought it was badass due to the weirdness of it. But have watched is as an adult and appreciate it as a movie and not just a trippy violent music video. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 of movies but Kubrik did a fantastic job capturing Burgess' work.
    God I hope someone doesn't try to remake this Hollywood style.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^I've tried it several times over the years and it's appeal is lost on me. Even his "Eyes" is much ado about absolutely nothing. His early "The Killing" is superb, like it's not like even HIM, because it's mainstream...and he got off there and never got back on till "Jacket" 30 years later..."Lolita" was close, but, he wouldn't stay the course so it's arguable.

He's much like Hepburn,,,juiced in with Media, could do no wrong in their estimation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^I've tried it several times over the years and it's appeal is lost on me. Even his "Eyes" is much ado about absolutely nothing. His early "The Killing" is superb, like it's not like even HIM, because it's mainstream...and he got off there and never got back on till "Jacket" 30 years later..."Lolita" was close, but, he wouldn't stay the course so it's arguable.

He's much like Hepburn,,,juiced in with Media, could do no wrong in their estimation.
    You're saying between "the Killing" and "Full Metal Jacket", there is...nothing? Just a media favorite?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    You're saying between "the Killing" and "Full Metal Jacket", there is...nothing? Just a media favorite?
    Yes, that is what I'm saying.

His work has a European scent to it, a look to it...it's off putting to me.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Have you not seen 2001? That would be the one to see if only one. It is super sparse and ambiguous, but pretty amazing for a major studio picture from 1968. Paths of Glory is really good once you accept Kirk Douglas as a Frenchman.
    yeah I've seen them all and own most of Kubrick's work. He's probably my second favorite director behind Ridley Scott.

the one I don't see on your list is 2001, which is not only my favorite Kubrick movie but my all time favorite film period. Even though rated G it's ballsier than most films, it's just pure cinema.

another one that is really underrated from him is Barry Lyndon. The whole movie looks like a 18th century painting but it is quite slow, even for me. Ridley Scott directed a very similar film, on 10% of Lyndon's budget, that is just as gorgeous called the Duellists.

I'd recommend any of those but 2001 is his peak imo.
    Oh man 2001, huh? I remember as a kid, maybe early 80's, my parents took us to this summer film series at the last drive in theater in town and 2001 was one of the features. I had great expectations of hilarious monkey shenanigans but after about 30 min I was fit to be tied and escaped to the playground lol. Have never had the desire to see that one since then

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Oh man 2001, huh? I remember as a kid, maybe early 80's, my parents took us to this summer film series at the last drive in theater in town and 2001 was one of the features. I had great expectations of hilarious monkey shenanigans but after about 30 min I was fit to be tied and escaped to the playground lol. Have never had the desire to see that one since then
    & they've always "sold" it using the apes throwing the bones in the air in slow motion. C'mon.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yeah, not for kids.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes, that is what I'm saying.

His work has a European scent to it, a look to it...it's off putting to me.
    What about the Shining? What was European about that?
    Maybe the top horror film of all time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    What about the Shining? What was European about that?
    Maybe the top horror film of all time.
    Absolutely was European influenced inside that hotel.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Absolutely was European influenced inside that hotel.
    Bend over, I'll show you European influence.

Thread Information