My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Stern didn’t exist other players would have a ring
    . Funny because it’s true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nope, don't care enough to research it tbh. you win this one to your victory. congrats, you have apparently proven that rule changes are bar none the biggest reason perimeter play is superior these days, as it is based off of the stats of young developing star perimeter players who's stats improved. and it certainly accounts for the fact that some of the players you mentioned actually had bigger increases in scoring in previous years, or that ray allen actually had a scoring decrease the year of the rule change even though you claimed he had a "major" and "dramatic" increase. job well done sir.

the point was it was still early in their careers, a time when players have still not reached their prime and we're still developing as players. oops sorry it was stacks 6th year

um ok? enjoy
    Your emojis are tough to argue against.

And your passive aggressive response is even harder.

That said, we all know that a bunch of half a dozen perimeter players who entered the league at different times and are at different ages all suddenly decided to increase their scoring average by half a dozen points all in the same year. Just because. And it just happens to coincide with one of the most significant perimeter rule changes in the last thirty years. When a player like Marbury, in his seventh year in the league would get a career high inpojnts with a two point jump from the previous year. Similar to Glenn Robinson. Or jalen rose. Or nick van exel. Jason kidd.

Was it universal for every perimeter player? Of course not. But the trend was quite clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool the refs helped Jordan vs NY in 92 amd 93
    Charles Smith made a ing layup in 93 Knicks at least have a game 7 at MSG..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charles Smith made a ing layup in 93 Knicks at least have a game 7 at MSG..
    Doesn’t excuse all the bailing out

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    And your passive aggressive response is even harder.

rofl you of all people crying about passive aggressive responses

That said, we all know that a bunch of half a dozen perimeter players who entered the league at different times and are at different ages all suddenly decided to increase their scoring average by half a dozen points all in the same year. Just because.
    Kobe - 96 draft - 22yo - 6 ppg jump
    Iverson - 96 draft - 25yo - 2.7 ppg jump
    Pierce - 98 draft - 23yo - 5.8 ppg jump
    McGrady - 97 draft - 21yo - 11.4 ppg jump
    Carter - 98 draft - 24yo - 1.9 ppg increase
    Stackhouse - 95 draft - 26yo - 6.2 ppg increase
    Allen - 96 draft - 25yo - 0.1 ppg decrease

seems like some pretty inconsistent increases, certainly not all a half dozen point increases. and yes, they all entered at such different times, pretty much all within the same 3 year span, all of whom were in development stages of their career as they were still in the first 5 years of their long HOF careers, with the exception of stackhouse who came a whopping 1 year earlier and wasnt quite HOF material like the rest but still a very talented scorer. oh and their ages were all still fairly young and generally close as well.

regardless

im certain tmacs increase had nothing to do with leaving a team that already had vince carter on the wing scoring 26 a game, and going to a team where he could be the #1 scoring option, especially after Grant Hill's career was basically ruined due to injury

speaking of grant hill, im sure his departure from detroit, losing his 26 ppg, and not replacing him with another strong scorer didn't have much effect on why stackhouse's scoring increased

of course the departure of glen rice also couldn't have had any bearing on kobes scoring increase either

iverson had the wonderful pleasure of playing with toni kukoc and larry hughes, a couple decent wing scorers. but hughes was traded away late in the previous year, while kukoc was traded halfway through the 00-01 year. nah, im sure each of their 10-12 ppg contributions didn't need to be replaced by AI taking a couple extra shots. it was definitely the rule changes that helped AI score 2.7 more ppg.

and we've clearly established that its far too illogical to think an exceptionally talented scorer like paul pierce could have a massive scoring increase in his third year in the league, as he has been developing as a player and the coach decided to give him a bigger share of offense

so yep, the single biggest reason for the scoring increases can only logically be chalked up to the rule changes. well done.
    Last edited by Neo.; 04-28-2020 at 04:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw Thomas on ESPN, and he still doesn’t understand why so many players from that time, ing hated his guts. Still hate his guts. Clueless. He was classless then. And he still is now. His excuse for not shaking hands is complete bull . Just shake their ing hands and walk off the court like a champion you idiot.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I saw Thomas on ESPN, and he still doesn’t understand why so many players from that time, ing hated his guts. Still hate his guts. Clueless. He was classless then. And he still is now. His excuse for not shaking hands is complete bull . Just shake their ing hands and walk off the court like a champion you idiot.
    He's such a dirt bag. He even tries to take credit for the 2nd bulls three peat because they had Rodman and 2 detroit scrubs on their roster. As if that was some sort springboard that catapulted them to the le. Nevermind that they had already won 3 without a Detroit influence on their team.

And he is more educated now and attempts to make his baloney sound more palatable and intellectual. Sorry, we already know who you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh please

Jordan was not any better
    Bird has esteanged kids

Actually they are probably worse thsn Thomas

Isiah is the one who convinced other all stars that Magic should play in the 92 ASG when most players were afraid to get anywhere near him

The « Jordan Freeze » game? That was such BS, watch the game and you can see Isiah was actually trying to involve MJ.
    Besodes, Demar DeJordan was a rookie, he wasn’t going to get a lot of touches that night

The walk off? at people who talk about respect, especially DemarcDeJordan.
    Up 3-0 , knowing Detroit was done, the Bulls badmouthed the Pistons in the press.
    Pistons were dirty, I get that, but they were still the 2 time defending champs.
    If Isiah shook hands with those hypocrites that would have been the ultimate cuck move

The truth is that Demar DeJordan is salty that he got his ass handed to him by a midget 3 straight years on national TV

But they won’t show that in TLD because insecure salty Jordan decided what footage made the cut

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Oh please

Jordan was not any better
    Bird has esteanged kids

Actually they are probably worse thsn Thomas

Isiah is the one who convinced other all stars that Magic should play in the 92 ASG when most players were afraid to get anywhere near him

The « Jordan Freeze » game? That was such BS, watch the game and you can see Isiah was actually trying to involve MJ.
    Besodes, Demar DeJordan was a rookie, he wasn’t going to get a lot of touches that night

The walk off? at people who talk about respect, especially DemarcDeJordan.
    Up 3-0 , knowing Detroit was done, the Bulls badmouthed the Pistons in the press.
    Pistons were dirty, I get that, but they were still the 2 time defending champs.
    If Isiah shook hands with those hypocrites that would have been the ultimate cuck move

The truth is that Demar DeJordan is salty that he got his ass handed to him by a midget 3 straight years on national TV

But they won’t show that in TLD because insecure salty Jordan decided what footage made the cut
    Pistons probably thought they would be back to contend. Instead they were out of the league within a few seasons.

That humbled most except Laimbeer. Bad Boys did not age well and their 2-peat is arguably underrated considering their '88 performance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons probably thought they would be back to contend. Instead they were out of the league within a few seasons.

That humbled most except Laimbeer. Bad Boys did not age well and their 2-peat is arguably underrated considering their '88 performance
    Yeah I think they should have won in 88
    that injury abd that su ious call at the end of gane 6

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I’m obviously biased, but anyway...

Isiah was wrong for walking out, kind of. But the Michael comments the night before do give context. Michael did interviews before game 4 saying smugly the Pistons were bad for basketball and did not deserve to ever be champions, insulting the team, the players, the city. That obviously didn’t sit well with the Pistons. And why would it? A person bad mouths you, calls you names, discredits your value, then beats your ass, and you’re supposed to play nice? Oh, are they not supposed to be the “bad boys” anymore? When they lose, they should act like good guys? Makes sense. No not really.

Also often ignored is that a couple Pistons players actually did shake hands. I believe guys like Dumars and Salley... I think. Not positive who for sure, but a couple did. Doesn’t get mentioned the way “oh but McHale shook Isiah’s hand” does.

Sure Isiah was bitter. And sure he probably should still have been the bigger person and congratulate Michael. But the story is warped to color Isiah as the unreasonable villain and Jordan the blameless, righteous victim. Nah, son. They were both s. They were both assholes. They were both egomaniacs. They were both to blame. But one is regarded in a much better light by the majority of both the media and most fans and by history, and that’s how the story will be remembered and told. Especially since one of them is still crying about “but he was such a meanie to me when I was about to become the bestest ever” 30 years later.

Michael will forever hate Isiah and the Pistons because they were the team with a star in Isiah who actually got the best of him during his prime. He has no problem being friends with Charles. Charles couldn’t beat him. Magic is cool. Michael won a championship off of him. He doesn’t speak badly of the Knicks or the Davis Boys with the Pacers and how they were base for basketball employing very similar physical play because they didn’t stop Michael and the Bulls. Stockton and Malone, Oakley, who does he speak badly of the way he does Isiah? Isiah and the Pistons actually derailed and held off Michael’s ascension to ultimate greatness. And because Isiah and a few others didn’t shake his hand, congratulate him, and kiss his ass like every other star in the NBA ultimately did, Michael will hold his grudge forever. It’s even beyond the high school coach that cut him a short a freshman.

Isiah is an unapologetic megalomaniac. And so is Michael. But Michael is also a ing crazy sociopath.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I’m obviously biased, but anyway...

Isiah was wrong for walking out, kind of. But the Michael comments the night before do give context. Michael did interviews before game 4 saying smugly the Pistons were bad for basketball and did not deserve to ever be champions, insulting the team, the players, the city. That obviously didn’t sit well with the Pistons. And why would it? A person bad mouths you, calls you names, discredits your value, then beats your ass, and you’re supposed to play nice? Oh, are they not supposed to be the “bad boys” anymore? When they lose, they should act like good guys? Makes sense. No not really.

Also often ignored is that a couple Pistons players actually did shake hands. I believe guys like Dumars and Salley... I think. Not positive who for sure, but a couple did. Doesn’t get mentioned the way “oh but McHale shook Isiah’s hand” does.

Sure Isiah was bitter. And sure he probably should still have been the bigger person and congratulate Michael. But the story is warped to color Isiah as the unreasonable villain and Jordan the blameless, righteous victim. Nah, son. They were both s. They were both assholes. They were both egomaniacs. They were both to blame. But one is regarded in a much better light by the majority of both the media and most fans and by history, and that’s how the story will be remembered and told. Especially since one of them is still crying about “but he was such a meanie to me when I was about to become the bestest ever” 30 years later.

Michael will forever hate Isiah and the Pistons because they were the team with a star in Isiah who actually got the best of him during his prime. He has no problem being friends with Charles. Charles couldn’t beat him. Magic is cool. Michael won a championship off of him. He doesn’t speak badly of the Knicks or the Davis Boys with the Pacers and how they were base for basketball employing very similar physical play because they didn’t stop Michael and the Bulls. Stockton and Malone, Oakley, who does he speak badly of the way he does Isiah? Isiah and the Pistons actually derailed and held off Michael’s ascension to ultimate greatness. And because Isiah and a few others didn’t shake his hand, congratulate him, and kiss his ass like every other star in the NBA ultimately did, Michael will hold his grudge forever. It’s even beyond the high school coach that cut him a short a freshman.

Isiah is an unapologetic megalomaniac. And so is Michael. But Michael is also a ing crazy sociopath.
    No one is making Isiah out to be a criminal. Okay to admit he was/is the lesser man. To me just illustrators how close knit the Pistons were.

On the court Isiah was an elite guard. Superior to Stockton and I'd like to see face Curry

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Would Michael ever admit he was wrong for his comments the night before that was likely the primary reason for the no handshake walkoff the following night?

No. Neither one is going to admit to being wrong. That’s how egomaniacs think and act. But Isiah will be the one who gets criticized for not admitting blame.

That’s fine, except one guy is still crying about it and holding a grudge 30 years later.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They definitely had 88 taken from them. Thought they were the better team that year.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Both of them had massive egos.

And Jordan was right, Detroit took things too far. And he wasn't only one saying it and to this day, everybody still knows it.

"Those guys were out there trying to hurt people. I used to always tell people when you play the pistons you got to call home and tell your family you love them, just in case you never saw them again"

-Barkley at 9:45

Last edited by Dirks_Finale; 04-29-2020 at 11:29 AM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No one is making Isiah out to be a criminal. Okay to admit he was/is the lesser man. To me just illustrators how close knit the Pistons were.

On the court Isiah was an elite guard. Superior to Stockton and I'd like to see face Curry
    Agree on superior to Stockton... Isiah used to get in Dat ass.. So much so dirty ass Malone had to save him by busting Thomas in the head and it required like twenty s ches. Thomas may be a but he is underrated... He was like AI's blueprint with better vision and a more consistent jumper not as fast or athletic but Isiah had handles for his Era...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Michael ever admit he was wrong for his comments the night before that was likely the primary reason for the no handshake walkoff the following night?

No. Neither one is going to admit to being wrong. That’s how egomaniacs think and act. But Isiah will be the one who gets criticized for not admitting blame.

That’s fine, except one guy is still crying about it and holding a grudge 30 years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And Jordan was right, Detroit took things too far. And he wasn't only one saying it and to this day, everybody still knows it.

"Those guys were out there trying to hurt people. I used to always tell people when you play the pistons you got to call home and tell your family you love them, just in case you never saw them again"
    Barkley hurt himself by being too fat

that bitter fake tough guy

He's mad because Rodman Mahorn and Laimber manhandled him

Even guards would get in his face and he would do nothing ; Maxwell, Spree and Tim Hardaway talked to him all day long

ing choker, Jordan bought him bling bling in the middle of the 93 Finals and it was over from there

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

-Barkley at 9:45

Pistons gave hard fouls. And didn’t apologize for it. They hardly were the first or most egregious. But that’s how history will remember them, because that’s the narrative. And that’s fine. But just so you get a better idea of the whole truth about it...

Before the Pistons were contenders in the mid to late 80s, every team was delivering dirty, hard fouls. That was commonplace. Even the golden boy Larry Bird and his Celtics, even the smiling Magic and his showtime Lakers. Are you too young to remember a Rambis clothesline or a Robert Parish fully ed swinging punch?

And if it it was just Detroit or that they took it too far, did you really not watch or remember the Knicks against the Bulls in 1992? Riley’s Oakley, Mason, X and company beat up Jordan worse in that playoff series than the Pistons ever did. Seriously. The stuff the Knicks were doing made the Pistons “Jordan Rules” seem like hugs and kisses by comparison. We never seem to hear those Knicks teams mentioned how badly they tried to hurt people, and Jordan in particular. In fact, the no lay-ups rule was Pat Riley’s invention, if I recall correctly. The froncourt of Dale Davis and Antonio Davis was built for that purpose specifically, to injure and maim drivers and slashers and players named Michael who were the face of the league. Do they get put in the same “they were bad for basketball” barrel as the Pistons? Do you recall Karl Malone’s elbow delivered onto Isiah Thomas’s eye that required 40 s ches? You may have seen a replay before but you won’t hear it mentioned too much, because Isiah doesn’t revisit it ten, twenty, thirty years later to cry about it. In the 80s and 90s, teams had guys like Oakley, Davis, Davis, Buck Williams, Mark West, heck Will Perdue and Bill Wennington whose sole purpose was to be an enforcer in the paint and deliver hard and sometimes dirty fouls to discourage drives and slashes. Guys got elbowed, tripped, clotheslined, tackled, undercut, kicked, punched, poked in the eye, grabbed by the nuts, choked out. And if you think it was just the Pistons or they were the worst of the bunch, you didn’t really watch 80s, 90s basketball.

Detroit were culprits, sure. They absolutely took part in the dirty and hard, physical play. Most teams did, even the good teams, even the posterboy teams, like the Celtics and their rich history and the showtime Lakers, and even the untouchable Michael and his Bulls. That’s right, Michael hated how the Pistons played so much, they started to play like them. Even added a once hated Dennis Rodman to solidify that style in the second three peat. That’s how basketball was played.

The Pistons were hated because they weren’t one of the chosen cities, chosen organizations, rich with history and legacy. They were hated because they unpretentiously and unapologetically embraced the “bad boy” persona, took on the Raiders style when Al Davis sent gear for them to rock, and ran ad campaigns with Laimbeer and Mahorn to flaunt it. They didn’t play politics in the media, downplaying the thuggish style of play. They didn’t worry about fans booing them. And they didn’t let the perception change the way they played. And they won championships with that style. And some people and some players and some fans despised them for it.

Those Bad Boy Pistons and most of their fans are cool with playing the villain role, being hated and despised. Just realize the actual whole truth is not often told.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Even guards would get in his face and he would do nothing ; Maxwell, Spree and Tim Hardaway talked to him all day long

ing choker, Jordan bought him bling bling in the middle of the 93 Finals and it was over from there
    Barkley or Malone

Take your pick

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yes, I watched a lot of 80's and 90's basketball, Jamstone. It was very physical, especially in comparison to this hands off era. That is what Barkley is saying in the video I posted. That Lebron wanted no part of that physical era. He talked about the handchecking with 2 hands being allowed on a nightly basis which is what I have talked about in the forum for months now.

The other teams were physical, the Pistons were just more frequent and more flagrant with it. The Knicks tried and failed to play Piston ball to beat the Bulls. They were just as bad and flagrant after Detroit faded. And we know why they did it -- -because the only way they had a prayer at beating Jordan is to go with what worked in the past , but I think nobody really cares because they have the empty trophy case in that era

The physicality then was a result of teams that pretty much hated each other. And you would see it boil over from time to time with the Lakers or Celtics. With Detroit it was a constant slugfest that uglied up the game to the point where the NBA decided to start officiating it more tightly. Well, those guys and the Knicks. They realized the Pistons started a trend.

Pistons gave hard fouls. And didn’t apologize for it. They hardly were the first or most egregious. But that’s how history will remember them, because that’s the narrative. And that’s fine. But just so you get a better idea of the whole truth about it...

Before the Pistons were contenders in the mid to late 80s, every team was delivering dirty, hard fouls. That was commonplace. Even the golden boy Larry Bird and his Celtics, even the smiling Magic and his showtime Lakers. Are you too young to remember a Rambis clothesline or a Robert Parish fully ed swinging punch?

And if it it was just Detroit or that they took it too far, did you really not watch or remember the Knicks against the Bulls in 1992? Riley’s Oakley, Mason, X and company beat up Jordan worse in that playoff series than the Pistons ever did. Seriously. The stuff the Knicks were doing made the Pistons “Jordan Rules” seem like hugs and kisses by comparison. We never seem to hear those Knicks teams mentioned how badly they tried to hurt people, and Jordan in particular. In fact, the no lay-ups rule was Pat Riley’s invention, if I recall correctly. The froncourt of Dale Davis and Antonio Davis was built for that purpose specifically, to injure and maim drivers and slashers and players named Michael who were the face of the league. Do they get put in the same “they were bad for basketball” barrel as the Pistons? Do you recall Karl Malone’s elbow delivered onto Isiah Thomas’s eye that required 40 s ches? You may have seen a replay before but you won’t hear it mentioned too much, because Isiah doesn’t revisit it ten, twenty, thirty years later to cry about it. In the 80s and 90s, teams had guys like Oakley, Davis, Davis, Buck Williams, Mark West, heck Will Perdue and Bill Wennington whose sole purpose was to be an enforcer in the paint and deliver hard and sometimes dirty fouls to discourage drives and slashes. Guys got elbowed, tripped, clotheslined, tackled, undercut, kicked, punched, poked in the eye, grabbed by the nuts, choked out. And if you think it was just the Pistons or they were the worst of the bunch, you didn’t really watch 80s, 90s basketball.

Detroit were culprits, sure. They absolutely took part in the dirty and hard, physical play. Most teams did, even the good teams, even the posterboy teams, like the Celtics and their rich history and the showtime Lakers, and even the untouchable Michael and his Bulls. That’s right, Michael hated how the Pistons played so much, they started to play like them. Even added a once hated Dennis Rodman to solidify that style in the second three peat. That’s how basketball was played.

The Pistons were hated because they weren’t one of the chosen cities, chosen organizations, rich with history and legacy. They were hated because they unpretentiously and unapologetically embraced the “bad boy” persona, took on the Raiders style when Al Davis sent gear for them to rock, and ran ad campaigns with Laimbeer and Mahorn to flaunt it. They didn’t play politics in the media, downplaying the thuggish style of play. They didn’t worry about fans booing them. And they didn’t let the perception change the way they played. And they won championships with that style. And some people and some players and some fans despised them for it.

Those Bad Boy Pistons and most of their fans are cool with playing the villain role, being hated and despised. Just realize the actual whole truth is not often told.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm no Barkley apologist, but are we forgetting he had the height of a 2 guard and managed to out board 7 foot centers on a nightly basis? He did more with less.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Yes, I watched a lot of 80's and 90's basketball, Jamstone. It was very physical, especially in comparison to this hands off era. That is what Barkley is saying in the video I posted. That Lebron wanted no part of that physical era. He talked about the handchecking with 2 hands being allowed on a nightly basis which is what I have talked about in the forum for months now.

The other teams were physical, the Pistons were just more frequent and more flagrant with it. The Knicks tried and failed to play Piston ball to beat the Bulls. They were just as bad and flagrant after Detroit faded. And we know why they did it -- -because the only way they had a prayer at beating Jordan is to go with what worked in the past , but I think nobody really cares because they have the empty trophy case in that era

The physicality then was a result of teams that pretty much hated each other. And you would see it boil over from time to time with the Lakers or Celtics. With Detroit it was a constant slugfest that uglied up the game to the point where the NBA decided to start officiating it more tightly. Well, those guys and the Knicks. They realized the Pistons started a trend.
    Knicks really needed an Isiah. Too much responsibility on Starks as the main shooter. That is why 1992 Knicks with prime Xavier might have been the best.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

I love that Laimbeer is owning the handshake incident. Not sure why Isiah is Playing victim. He Pippen, MJ Laimbeer etc are all assholes. Own it. HOW can he say they would do it differently when Bill just said he wouldn't...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Totally agree. When your best player is 7 foot center not named Anthony Davis and you need a bucket late, it can be real difficult to get that guy the ball in a sweet spot.

Knicks really needed an Isiah. Too much responsibility on Starks as the main shooter. That is why 1992 Knicks with prime Xavier might have been the best.

Thread Information