Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think Kansas should have done differently?

cut taxes more maybe?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    What do you think Kansas should have done differently?

cut taxes more maybe?
    They did the right thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo you can’t just look at poverty line and I disagree that the tax cuts were done in good faith. Brownback was a for the Koch brothers and him slashing taxes was a quid pro quo for them getting him elected. The big tax cuts in Kansas were also given to corporations and businesses, not individuals. Income taxes on LLC income were thrown out completely for example. That doesn’t benefit the people living at or near the poverty line.

The tax cuts also created a huge budget deficit for Kansas that’s going to take years to pay off.
    ... don't forget the credit rating downgrades... and all sorts of deferred maintenance of infrastructure that is not being done while the cash flow stabilizes. Very often that runs at a pretty massive deficit that takes years to clear.

I have little doubt that the state will be taking a hit to its roads, bridges, and buildings for years, one of the hidden costs of Republican dumbassery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...leaving schools and hospitals entirely to the side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Electing a Dem Governor and repudiating trickle down economics was most assuredly the right thing to do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Currently in Kansas for work. This place is a massive hole.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    quadrupling down on stupidity.
    m

A Trump prerequisite.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is how children respond when they know they're wrong.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas Governor Calls On County Official To Resign Over ‘Master Race’ Comment

Leavenworth County Commissioner Louis Klemp made the remark to a black city planner at a public meeting last week.

Kansas Gov. Jeff Colyer (R) on Saturday urged one of the state’s county commissioners to resign after

he described himself as “part of the master race” while addressing a black woman at a public meeting last week.

Leavenworth County Commissioner Louis Klemp, who is white, appeared to have expressed disapproval over a presentation given by the woman, a city planner, moments before making the off-the-cuff comment.

“I don’t want to think I’m picking on you, because we’re part of the master race,”

Klemp told the woman as he motioned to his teeth.

“You know you’ve got a gap in your teeth. W T F ?

You’re the master race.

Don’t ever forget that.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...gEmail__111918

All y'all Trash fellators, that's y'all's AmeriKKKa

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas Hits Hemp Farmers With Felonies, Accuses Them Of Trafficking Weed

Kansas seized 350 pounds of leafy green plant material from a FedEx truck two years ago. But they still don’t know what they actually seized.

It was either a huge drug bust or a huge embarrassment. Kansas authorities aren’t sure which one yet.

In early January 2017, Kansas Highway Patrol seized more than 300 pounds of what they believed to be marijuana from the back of a FedEx semi-truck at a warehouse in Liberal, Kansas.

Official paperwork from the Colorado Department of Agriculture accompanying the load affirmed it was actually hemp and that, as stipulated by Colorado law, the plants contained no more than 0.3 percent THC.

on Jan. 31, 2019, prosecutors in Seward County charged the farmers, Eric and Ryan Jensen, with four drug-related crimes apiece, three of them felonies.

Kansas unsuccessfully attempted to extradite Eric (but not Ryan),

causing Eric to lose his secondary jobs as a bus driver and coach at the local school district in Holly, Colorado.

He’s also unable to travel, as Kansas’ warrant is active in every state but Colorado.

the 350 pounds of product ― worth an estimated $35 to $40 per pound if it’s indeed hemp ― have wasted away in a Kansas warehouse.

“It is now worthless for its intended purpose, which is the extraction of CBD oil,”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hemp-...gEmail__080119

$40 / pound for a weed?

Marijuana on Schedule 1 is even stupider than Kansas

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even a Spanish name is ok, but no knitter names for hole Kansas

Kansas City Votes To Remove Dr. Martin Luther King’s Name From Historic Street

The vote came less than a year after the city council decided to rename The Paseo for the civil rights icon.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kansas-city-votes-to-remove-martin-luther-kings-name-from-historic-street_n_5dc257a1e4b08b735d620c38?ncid=newsltushpm gnews

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong state.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all red states are holes

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    see post 305

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    surprised Aaron didn't use votingrepublican.jpg in this one, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... don't forget the credit rating downgrades... and all sorts of deferred maintenance of infrastructure that is not being done while the cash flow stabilizes. Very often that runs at a pretty massive deficit that takes years to clear.

I have little doubt that the state will be taking a hit to its roads, bridges, and buildings for years, one of the hidden costs of Republican dumbassery.

Fail to invest in people, i.e. human capital, coupled with a failure to invest in physical capital, and that is what you get.

Things like food stamps that you revile so much provide ways for societies to invest in people, which are the ultimate driver of any economy. Suck up the fact that some are always going to abuse anything, and take a cold hard look at cost/benefits economically.

Conservative policies generally fail when one applies a wider cost/benefit analysis in my experience. Free birth control is a good example of a progressive policy that costs some up front, but saves down the road.

Just sayin'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/seeded-w...its-1431729743

Unemployment has dropped to 4.2% from 5.5% in 2013, and wages and job growth are steadily climbing.

Liberals love to hate Sam Brownback, and for good reason. The Kansas governor threatens a central tenet of liberal orthodoxy: the belief that higher taxes are a price that must be paid for progress.

“If your objective is to grow the economy, would you rather put more money into government, or leave it in the hands of small business?” Mr. Brownback asks during a recent interview in his office at the state capitol. Three years ago Kansas enacted the biggest tax cut of any state, relative to the size of its economy, in recent history. Lawmakers reduced the top rate on the personal income tax to 4.9% from 6.45%. They also eliminated the income tax for small business owners who file as individuals, a broad group that includes sole proprietors, limited liability partnerships and S-corporations.

The governor declared that Kansas was “open for business” in such strong terms that he might as well have donned a sandwich board reading “Come to Kansas / Keep Everything You Earn.” He boasted: “Our new pro-growth tax policy will be like a shot of adrenaline into the heart of the Kansas economy.”

The comment was subsequently picked up by critics who wondered why the Kansas economy wasn’t suddenly leaping ahead at, say, 4%-5% growth annually. When Mr. Brownback ran for re-election last year, national reporters descended on the Sunflower State and quickly made Kansas the national symbol for the alleged depredations of “trickle-down economics.” A sampling of headlines includes: “How Tea Party tax cuts are turning Kansas into a smoking ruin,” L.A. Times, July 9; “Kansas’ Ruinous Tax Cuts,” the New York Times, July 13; and “The Great Kansas Tea Party Disaster,” Rolling Stone, Oct. 23.

Yet voters re-elected Mr. Brownback by a four-point margin. What the news coverage missed was that if Kansas hasn’t exactly catapulted into the front ranks in economic growth and employment, then it has at least moved a long way from the stagnation of recent decades. Consider:

• In March 2013, unemployment in Kansas stood at 5.5%. It has since dropped to 4.2%, tied for 14th lowest in the country.

• From 1998-2012, Kansas ranked 38th in private-sector job growth, according Bureau of Labor Statistics data crunched by the Kansas Policy Ins ute. In 2013—the first year after the tax reform—the state climbed to 27th place, and in 2014 it moved to 21st, placing it in the top half of states.

• In the second half of 2014, hourly wages in Kansas grew 3.5%, according to BLS data, far faster than the national average of 1.9%.
    Still a failure. After Democrats were successful in finally reversing the failed Republican policies, the economy finally got back on track.

Topeka ? Kansas lawmakers late Monday passed and sent to Gov. Sam Brownback a school finance bill that phases in a $293 million increase in annual K-12 school spending over the next two years and a tax bill that reverses course on many of the tax cuts that Brownback championed in 2012.

Brownback issued a statement immediately after the Senate vote that he would veto the tax bill.

“Given that this tax package was assembled and passed just today, I hope to avoid any unnecessary delays by announcing that I will veto Senate Bill 30, allowing the legislature sufficient time to address its many deficiencies and harmful impacts on Kansas families,” he said in a statement emailed to news outlets. “We have worked hard in Kansas to move our tax policy to a pro-growth orientation. This bill undoes much of that progress. It will substantially damage job creation and leave our citizens poorer in the future.”

That action came on the 108th day of a legislative session after weeks of partisan stalemates over those two key issues. It also came just hours after the House rejected an effort to put both the school funding policy and new tax policy in a single bill.

The school finance bill is needed because the current funding system expires on June 30, and the Supreme Court has declared that funding to be inadequate and uncons utional. In a decision released in March, the court threatened to close the state’s public school system on July 1 if lawmakers do not pass a cons utional funding mechanism by that time.

Meanwhile, the tax bill is considered critical in order to pay for the school plan and prevent the need for massive budget cuts due to revenue shortfalls the state has experienced almost constantly since Brownback’s tax policies took effect.

It’s almost certain, however, that Brownback will veto the tax bill, as he did a similar bill in February. This time, though, supporters of the bill say they are more confident that they can muster the two-thirds majorities needed to override a veto.
    https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/j...-and-income-t/

The comeback state of 2019: Kansas economy rebounds from tax-cutting disaster

One year ago Kansas was still nursing a hangover from a disastrous tax-cutting experiment by former Republican Gov. Sam Brownback, who slashed individual income-tax rates and eliminated taxes on “pass-through” income from certain businesses. Even though a bipartisan super-majority of the state legislature had repealed the Brownback program over his veto in 2017, the state was still dealing with a residual $351 million revenue shortfall for fiscal 2018, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. In addition to its No. 35 overall ranking last year, Kansas finished a dismal No. 45 in the Economy category.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/top-...-disaster.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump made the same mistake not too long ago. Kansas City should probably just change it's name at this point to avoid confusion since it's not in Kansas.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump made the same mistake not too long ago. Kansas City should probably just change it's name at this point to avoid confusion since it's not in Kansas.
    It straddles the border.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It straddles the border.
    "both sides"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/seeded-w...its-1431729743

Unemployment has dropped to 4.2% from 5.5% in 2013, and wages and job growth are steadily climbing.

Liberals love to hate Sam Brownback, and for good reason. The Kansas governor threatens a central tenet of liberal orthodoxy: the belief that higher taxes are a price that must be paid for progress.

“If your objective is to grow the economy, would you rather put more money into government, or leave it in the hands of small business?” Mr. Brownback asks during a recent interview in his office at the state capitol. Three years ago Kansas enacted the biggest tax cut of any state, relative to the size of its economy, in recent history. Lawmakers reduced the top rate on the personal income tax to 4.9% from 6.45%. They also eliminated the income tax for small business owners who file as individuals, a broad group that includes sole proprietors, limited liability partnerships and S-corporations.

The governor declared that Kansas was “open for business” in such strong terms that he might as well have donned a sandwich board reading “Come to Kansas / Keep Everything You Earn.” He boasted: “Our new pro-growth tax policy will be like a shot of adrenaline into the heart of the Kansas economy.”

The comment was subsequently picked up by critics who wondered why the Kansas economy wasn’t suddenly leaping ahead at, say, 4%-5% growth annually. When Mr. Brownback ran for re-election last year, national reporters descended on the Sunflower State and quickly made Kansas the national symbol for the alleged depredations of “trickle-down economics.” A sampling of headlines includes: “How Tea Party tax cuts are turning Kansas into a smoking ruin,” L.A. Times, July 9; “Kansas’ Ruinous Tax Cuts,” the New York Times, July 13; and “The Great Kansas Tea Party Disaster,” Rolling Stone, Oct. 23.

Yet voters re-elected Mr. Brownback by a four-point margin. What the news coverage missed was that if Kansas hasn’t exactly catapulted into the front ranks in economic growth and employment, then it has at least moved a long way from the stagnation of recent decades. Consider:

• In March 2013, unemployment in Kansas stood at 5.5%. It has since dropped to 4.2%, tied for 14th lowest in the country.

• From 1998-2012, Kansas ranked 38th in private-sector job growth, according Bureau of Labor Statistics data crunched by the Kansas Policy Ins ute. In 2013—the first year after the tax reform—the state climbed to 27th place, and in 2014 it moved to 21st, placing it in the top half of states.

• In the second half of 2014, hourly wages in Kansas grew 3.5%, according to BLS data, far faster than the national average of 1.9%.
    has Kansas harvested the benefits yet?

Thread Information