Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 and 12. That's more the type of game we should expect from the AusTrain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That FT% increase alongside increasing attempts is nutty. Not to mention playing almost 30MPG after some bright folks in here claimed he wouldn't ever be able to crack 20+m due to foul trouble or some

The real question, though - is this guy better than Drummond yet? lmao
    well he played 25 minutes due to foul trouble tonight so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well he played 25 minutes due to foul trouble tonight so...
    25 > 20, is it not...?

And he did it with some disgusting refereeing against the Spurs. Refs were betting on that over for sure...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ideally, you want to have an also strong, defensive and shooting PF alongside Jakob, who can switch rim-protection duties with him when either is defending the perimeter, someone like Luka for example (it's no wonder the Spurs defense was markedly better with him alongside Jakob, and a mystery why he's not playing now). Right now, our first option at PF is either DeMar, who doesn't nearly have the body or defensive chops to fulfill this role, or Keldon, who isn't yet a good off-ball defender, much less a rim deterrent. So Jakob is mostly alone in that job (and if you watched the game, you had to notice Jak trying to play 1-on-5 on the defensive end that 1st quarter, he was getting no help whatsoever).

I’ve said the same thing in one of the trade threads. This team won’t reach it’s potential until Luka is playing the 4. This team needs more size at the 4. I think either White goes to the bench and DDR slides to the 2 and Keldon to the 3 or Keldon comes off the bench. IMO you will raise both the defensive performance and offensive potential. Pop’s decision making this year continues to be brutal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    25 > 20, is it not...?

And he did it with some disgusting refereeing against the Spurs. Refs were betting on that over for sure...
    They called him for a foul 2 seconds into the game. Another time, he came back in, and was called for a foul on the first defensive possession. WTF?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve said the same thing in one of the trade threads. This team won’t reach it’s potential until Luka is playing the 4. This team needs more size at the 4. I think either White goes to the bench and DDR slides to the 2 and Keldon to the 3 or Keldon comes off the bench. IMO you will raise both the defensive performance and offensive potential. Pop’s decision making this year continues to be brutal.
    I agree with you on Luka... he's the key to this team reaching its potential. We really need to get him minutes this season. Hopefully we can move Rudy by the deadline and give Luka those minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They called him for a foul 2 seconds into the game. Another time, he came back in, and was called for a foul on the first defensive possession. WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop needs to start calling out the refs on this . Prop Poeltl up as the elite rim protector that he is and build that reputation. We need the rest of the NBA and the refs to know what's up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks for the highlights! Such bull calls... Second one was all ing ball, challenge that Pop SMH. I don't mind if you lose the challenge, just complain, scream at the refs, don't let them neuter our best defender and rim protector in the 1st quarter of the game. Set the tone early so they let the guys play some defense.

It's also insane how mostly everyone recognizes Jakob gets called for some bull fouls, even in gamethreads people complain, then they come here and complain about him being "unable to stay on the court due to too much fouling!!". Like bruh, you're seeing the he gets called for, how can you blame Poeltl? I'd rather he plays hard defense evey night, and fouls out every once in a while, than play modern NBA "defense" and be wholly uneffective but stay in the game every time.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't get to start watching until the 4th, but Poeltl had that Duncan-like incredulous face on several calls in the 4th. Now I can see why he was so frustrated, given what happened earlier in the game.

This will just have to be growing pains, players (especially bigs) have to learn how to keep playing good basketball even when the calls aren't going your way. It's one thing to be told this, but another to actually go through it and internalize it. At least it was a win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob has had some sh!tty calls against him lately. The Spurs are getting the bottom-feeder treatment from the refs these days. Silver must have issued the order to move the Spurs down the standings because they're threatening to make the post season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

let me guess Spurs did not challenge any of these and later lost the one they used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He scores 4 points and we lose to a ty ass CHA team. My whole argument that we need him to score more in order to win is looking better and better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    need a PF/C to compliment Jakob. Preferably one that can play along side him for bigger lineups and matchups and one that puts Jakob on the bench for smaller lineups. I assume our forwards will be Luka and Keldon.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He scores 4 points and we lose to a ty ass CHA team. My whole argument that we need him to score more in order to win is looking better and better.
    He needs to look to score more for sure. Occasionally he will fake a handoff and drive straight to the hoop. At least do more of that. Keep the defense aware of you at least.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mentioned Poeltl's lack of rim protection because Spurs let the Bulls score 58 points in the 1st half. And it wasn't because the Bulls were hitting 3's crazy, but by scoring in the paint. It easily could have been an ugly lost to a lowly team, and people would've been ing how the Spurs played miserably. Luckily it was the PRESS DEFENSE in the 4th that created TO's and Spurs hitting timely baskets. And YES Poeltl was VERY much a part of that press defense. Great defense! I was talking about rim protection, swatting layups, altering shots. I want Poeltl to be a defensive beast in the paint, besides being able to switch on PNR. Luckily he scored 20 pts and rebounded 16, and that's why people here are calling it a huge game
    All the points in the paint were because we have a 6’5” guy at PF. As good as Poeltl is protecting the rim he spent a lot of time on the perimeter as 7 3 point contests attests to. That’s when you need a secondary rim protector which we don’t have in the starting line up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie scored 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the points in the paint were because we have a 6’5” guy at PF. As good as Poeltl is protecting the rim he spent a lot of time on the perimeter as 7 3 point contests attests to. That’s when you need a secondary rim protector which we don’t have in the starting line up.
    White is one of the best blocking guards/wings in the league. He had 3 in a game very recently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte and more recently, Lonnie,Naldo score in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is exactly the thing that Poeltl doomers never seem to grasp. Just like the other day, we when played the Bulls, after which i-don't-recall-who was ting on Jakob for "not guarding enough" of players. Jakob was perfectly finely defending the perimeter from Lavine & Co, but was also forced to run back to the rim a ton because there's just nobody there when he's out. Keldon, for all his rebounding prowess and strength, doesn't have the rim protection instincts nor skill to help Jakob, Rudy is just laughably bad, and DeRozan at PF even more so. Luka is the clear best option here, and he visibly made the Spurs much stronger on defense exactly because of his versatility and ability to stay with players into the paint, or deny them the paint altogether. But he's not playing because of Pop..... So we get these ty losses.

Having a PF that could defend both rim and perimeter would allow Jakob, and the rest of the team, to play much better D and protect the rim better. Hopefully one of those rumored trades pulls through. If not, I'd really like to see what Luka's got, but it's looking like we won't get to see it this season barring a Rudy trade.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is exactly the thing that Poeltl doomers never seem to grasp. Just like the other day, we when played the Bulls, after which i-don't-recall-who was ting on Jakob for "not guarding enough" of players. Jakob was perfectly finely defending the perimeter from Lavine & Co, but was also forced to run back to the rim a ton because there's just nobody there when he's out. Keldon, for all his rebounding prowess and strength, doesn't have the rim protection instincts nor skill to help Jakob, Rudy is just laughably bad, and DeRozan at PF even more so. Luka is the clear best option here, and he visibly made the Spurs much stronger on defense exactly because of his versatility and ability to stay with players into the paint, or deny them the paint altogether. But he's not playing because of Pop..... So we get these ty losses.

Having a PF that could defend both rim and perimeter would allow Jakob, and the rest of the team, to play much better D and protect the rim better. Hopefully one of those rumored trades pulls through. If not, I'd really like to see what Luka's got, but it's looking like we won't get to see it this season barring a Rudy trade.
    Good points.

I joke that Pop overdevelops young players sometimes. Like, its good to make young players earn their minutes, but when they do what you ask them to do, then you need to reward them with minutes. Luka might not play again until next year and he hopefully will do great. But he was already having a few great games on defense a few weeks ago. Even The Ringer noticed. And we aren’t letting him get experience now because why exactly? The tough love worked. Now just play the dude!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This. Luka could make this defense the best in the league. Keldon playing the 3 IMO makes him even more effective. If DDR is still here he plays the 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bench player doing bench player things. Nothing to see compared to a starter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bench player doing bench player things. Nothing to see compared to a starter
    Expected scorer NOT doing expected scorer things. Lonnie also has MUCH more control over whether he scores or not, being a ball handler. Poodle is dependent on a pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which is exactly why I want John Collins

Thread Information