San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    today's NBA

HarlemHeat37

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    19 wins by 25+ points. (Most in playoff history, second is 11)

Today's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    80,000+ fans expected for tomorrow's Mexico-Jamaica game

Meanwhile Spurs can't even fill the lower bowl of the AT&T Center smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count

Today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh, looks like old midnight has to bust another myth.

COPA AMERICA 2016 06 UNI UDN MEXICO / URUGUAY 7:29 PM 10:07 PM 1,160

1.160 million viewers

Women's softball game from the other night. 1.4 million

And even if you add up all the bean3r channels, the match still doesn't break 2 million US viewers.

Unless of course you're talking about television ratings in Mexico? But who gives a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sigh, looks like old midnight has to bust another myth.

COPA AMERICA 2016 06 UNI UDN MEXICO / URUGUAY 7:29 PM 10:07 PM 1,160

1.160 million viewers

Women's softball game from the other night. 1.4 million

And even if you add up all the bean3r channels, the match still doesn't break 2 million US viewers.

Unless of course you're talking about television ratings in Mexico? But who gives a .
    I have no idea where you got those bunk ass numbers from... But....

and that's JUST on Univision

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Key phrase: Univision "says."

Meanwhile the official Nielsen data had the viewership at 1.16 million.

See the 3rd slot:

http://sportstvratings.com/nascar-sp...e-5-2016/5173/

Crafty Univision probably considered people flipping through the channel as an "official view."

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Univision

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup which makes it just much more embarrassing for Hockey and the NBA lmaooo

USgAy sports

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup which makes it just much more embarrassing for Hockey and the NBA lmaooo

USgAy sports
    So you've been proven wrong and you're just going to declare victory.

TheGreatPigeon, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Finals so far:
    Game 1 = 9.26 Million
    Game 2 = 8.28 Million
    Game 3 = 13.65 Million

Copa America isn't even close with only around 2 Million viewers on Univision and Fox Sports combined and they're only getting that many viewers when either the US or Mexico are playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing these americans cant seem to realize specially since they are comapring them to NBA finals and is that in the grand scheme things of an URU vs Mexico match is like an international basketball match that not a whole lot of people outside of mexico or uru cares for...

If we're going to compare the peak viewrship of sports.

It will be worldcup vs whatever other sport and we know thats an ugly comparison

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worldcup numbers don't indicate Soccer gaining traction in the US otherwise those numbers would carry over to things like Copa America, which clearly they don't. It's no different than people tuning into some random ass Olympic sport, do you really think people give a about Swimming? No, but they'll tune in during the Olympics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worldcup numbers don't indicate Soccer gaining traction in the US otherwise those numbers would carry over to things like Copa America, which clearly they don't. It's no different than people tuning into some random ass Olympic sport, do you really think people give a about Swimming? No, but they'll tune in during the Olympics.
    Not sure how old you are, but if you're 30's and lived in the US, we've seen this "growth" idea before when a sport sees a brief surge in popularity. Remember in the 90's, at the height of the Jordan-era, the NBA was poised (in the future) to take over US sports. It was the "sport of the youth," and kids are converting from NFL and MLB fans into basketball fans, so the future belongs to the NBA.

It never happened. The Jordan-era Finals are still the highest rated NBA Finals of all-time and we've seen nothing close to the marketing power Jordan had. Lebron, Curry, Kobe, etc doesn't even come close. Once Jordan retired, so did the casuals and "kids," and really only the hardcore basketball fans remained.

Same logic applies when the media cites "huge" ratings for the Women's world cup and such. Just like "fans" tuned into watch Jordan, people are tuning in to watch the United States, not necessarily to watch soccer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The United States will never retire unlike Jordan, tbh. And once you get something close to Jordan in soccer, watch the out, 'cause you won't know what hit you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The United States will never retire unlike Jordan, tbh. And once you get something close to Jordan in soccer, watch the out, 'cause you won't know what hit you.
    That ain't happening. We can't even get something close to Jordan in Basketball. Really, Lebron, Kobe, Curry are not even in the same universe as far as drawing power.

For the Jordan of soccer to emerge, he'll have to be charismatic, flashy and lead the US to a World Cup le. The US producing a Premier League star or something isn't enough, since most Americans equate soccer success with the World Cup.

There's as much chance of that happening as Diaw losing weight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US will never have that

They dont have specific programs that make 8 year olds "young" pros. Soccer is a skill based game and majority of its skills is aquired during a kids formative years ( like dribbling in basketball.)

Kids in the states dont start serious training till maybe in their early teens..

They will never be that great simply for that reason. They will always be compe ive though because outisde of two or three European nations, they have the best facilities and tools in the world.

I already pointed out to mid the crazy rise of popularity in soccer in Korea and Japan in the last 30 years. If soccer is going t reach top 2 status, those two countries could be good examples as to how it happened...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US will never have that

They dont have specific programs that make 8 year olds "young" pros. Soccer is a skill based game and majority of its skills is aquired during a kids formative years ( like dribbling in basketball.)

Kids in the states dont start serious training till maybe in their early teens..

They will never be that great simply for that reason. They will always be compe ive though because outisde of two or three European nations, they have the best facilities and tools in the world.

I already pointed out to mid the crazy rise of popularity in soccer in Korea and Japan in the last 30 years. If soccer is going t reach top 2 status, those two countries could be good examples as to how it happened...
    Agreed.

And if takes treating young children like the Chinese do their athletes (training them to be something since literal birth) for us to produce a great soccer player, then no thanks. Sports, end of the day, should be fun and friendly compe ive. A child being trained like a pro athlete that young is a form of child abuse in my opinion, being forced by their parents to be great for their (parents) own gain and pride.

Dominicans do this with baseball, and you see the results. Arguably the best baseball country in the world pound-for-pound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

And if takes treating young children like the Chinese do their athletes (training them to be something since literal birth) for us to produce a great soccer player, then no thanks. Sports, end of the day, should be fun and friendly compe ive. A child being trained like a pro athlete that young is a form of child abuse in my opinion, being forced by their parents to be great for their (parents) own gain and pride.

Dominicans do this with baseball, and you see the results. Arguably the best baseball country in the world pound-for-pound.
    Ive always disagreed and loathed the current system of parents forcing their kids in to soccer clubs. It's disgusting. It does provide an increasing level of play though...but you act like only ty countries does this..Germany, France, England are huge culprits...these are supposed "good" nations

Still there's multiple ways of getting prodigies. The US doesnt have the second option too because even the poor in North America arent in situations where they are forced to go outside and play and just sl they can pass by the hunger in their stomachs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That ain't happening. We can't even get something close to Jordan in Basketball. Really, Lebron, Kobe, Curry are not even in the same universe as far as drawing power.

For the Jordan of soccer to emerge, he'll have to be charismatic, flashy and lead the US to a World Cup le. The US producing a Premier League star or something isn't enough, since most Americans equate soccer success with the World Cup.

There's as much chance of that happening as Diaw losing weight
    If you ever get a true star soccer player (doesn't even have to be top 10) the bandwagon will be in full force.

And it will eventually happen son, just wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I should mention that Women Love soccer

If we care about equality and all..I can tell you most women prefer playing soccer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ever get a true star soccer player (doesn't even have to be top 10) the bandwagon will be in full force.

And it will eventually happen son, just wait.
    We don't bandwagon players in the top 10 or just outside the top 10. This mythical player needs to be "the best," and lead the US to a World Cup le. , Donovan at one point had more goals than Messi, Ronaldo, and Rooney combined in World Cup play, and no one really knows who the he is here

I know Donovan wasn't at all great, but I'm just showing you that even a player who can perform well in the World Cup won't move the needle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive always disagreed and loathed the current system of parents forcing their kids in to soccer clubs. It's disgusting. It does provide an increasing level of play though...but you act like only ty countries does this..Germany, France, England are huge culprits...these are supposed "good" nations

Still there's multiple ways of getting prodigies. The US doesnt have the second option too because even the poor in North America arent in situations where they are forced to go outside and play and just sl they can pass by the hunger in their stomachs.
    Oh no, I'm well aware those countries do that.

I like the our system of "sports development." If a kid shows interest in sports, put them in a few sports (soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis [I disagree with putting a kid in tackle football at an early age], etc) and they can choose which sports they like best. You teach them the fundamentals of the sports of their choosing, but keep it fun, informal (playing with them in the front yard/park instead of dropping them off at an "academy") and don't over train them, obviously.

When they reach teenage years is when you can up the training to a more intensive level, and at this age, they're relatively old enough to decide if they want to dedicate themselves.

Thread Information