Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope SA can snag Sochan and Eason. Would love to add some real defense and energy to this already energetic team. I would love to take Sochan at 9 and move up to guarantee Eason.
    Still lack a go to scorer.

Trying to win with defense won't cut it without some strong offensive go to players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you so concerned about the end of the bench players?

Spurs need a lot of work on the starters.
    Spurs back half of the roster was devastatingly bad. Starters, while definitely needing upgrades as well did pretty good for most part. But the talent drop off after the top 6 or 7 was huge and Sa needs to infuse more upside and versatility and the draft is how to do that. Im not saying I want them to draft for back half of roster players; take BPA.

Im saying that BPA should be immediate upgrades to a few guys who got decent minutes and that alone helps (not even factoring in trades or FA to continue building)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still lack a go to scorer.

Trying to win with defense won't cut it without some strong offensive go to players.
    That is what trades and FA is for

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is what trades and FA is for
    It's far more difficult for the spurs to trade for a high end top scorer or get one in FA.

They need to get one from the draft and should try hard this year to get a player with huge offensive upside and it may only take moving up 3 spots in the draft to land that type of player.

The team won't take a big jump targeting defensive players in this draft. The Spurs need more offensive punch.

They don't even have a strong low post finisher/dunker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott was a starter.

Anyways, the only guy I see that could fall with big scoring potential is Mathurin, and he'll probably be off the board

The rest of the players available will be limited offensive roleplayers unless they vastly outplay expectations.

Welcome to the 9th pick in a below average draft. Stuck with making the best of a bad situation. Should have tanked more, but it's too late now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's far more difficult for the spurs to trade for a high end top scorer or get one in FA.

They need to get one from the draft and should try hard this year to get a player with huge offensive upside and it may only take moving up 3 spots in the draft to land that type of player.

The team won't take a big jump targeting defensive players in this draft. The Spurs need more offensive punch.

They don't even have a strong low post finisher/dunker.
    Not at all. Way harder trying to get that guy with pick 9 or worse in the draft…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott was a starter.

Anyways, the only guy I see that could fall with big scoring potential is Mathurin, and he'll probably be off the board

The rest of the players available will be limited offensive roleplayers unless they vastly outplay expectations.

Welcome to the 9th pick in a below average draft. Stuck with making the best of a bad situation. Should have tanked more, but it's too late now.
    Lol. So true and all the people ing about not tanking and making play in are now ing they will not get a good player at the 9th pick...SMH...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott was a starter.

Indy and Portland both went into the tank hard after the ASG, dropped to 5 and 6, and are drafting 6 and 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott was a starter.

We're going to get a nice player at #9. And Mathurin or Davis will be available, with both projecting as scorers.

Last year's draft was better at the top but I feel much worse later on. This one has some legs with interesting pieces. Last year, after Primo the only player who seemed very interesting was Sengun.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're going to get a nice player at #9. And Mathurin or Davis will be available, with both projecting as scorers.

Last year's draft was better at the top but I feel much worse later on. This one has some legs with interesting pieces. Last year, after Primo the only player who seemed very interesting was Sengun.
    Mathurin I agree on as an explosive scorer, Davis not so much.

Davis doesn't have the athleticism and explosiveness and quick step, more of a mid range shooter.

Davis will be there at 9, Mathurin not likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs back half of the roster was devastatingly bad. Starters, while definitely needing upgrades as well did pretty good for most part. But the talent drop off after the top 6 or 7 was huge and Sa needs to infuse more upside and versatility and the draft is how to do that. Im not saying I want them to draft for back half of roster players; take BPA.

Im saying that BPA should be immediate upgrades to a few guys who got decent minutes and that alone helps (not even factoring in trades or FA to continue building)

The Spurs bench actually scored 3rd highest in the NBA, behind only Heat and Clippers. It’s the starting line-up that needs help more particularly at 4.

I think they need to address:
    1. Go-to scorer, Keegan, Davis, Mathurin, Sharpe or FA. A combination of both?
    2. Rebounding/Defense at PF, Keegan, Sochan, Eason
    3. Better on-man defense at Center, Williams, Kessler, Duren,
    4. Potentially losing Lonnie from bench scoring, Davis, Liddell, Jovic, Jalen

Ideally, if Keegan is available at 9, he checks off 1 and 2. I prefer Sochan’s defense, and hope he can develop more as a go-to scorer.

I don’t know how they move forward with Poeltl. If not, Williams would be nice at 15. Trade Poeltl and/or pick to move up.

Keegan 9, Williams 15 (trade Poeltl and pick), Jovic or Liddell at 20/25 whichever available
    burn at 38,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. There were a few players who might turn out well... Herb Jones, Sengun, Trey Murphy, Duarte, Bones Hyland, Ayo Dosunmu, probably Moody... but it's hard to challenge that after 8 the 2021 draft falls off a cliff... This one seems a lot deeper. In all honesty, I'm most worried with the FO trying to outsmart themselves like they did the past 2 drafts, where a poll with the average fan would have yielded better results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin I agree on as an explosive scorer, Davis not so much.

Davis doesn't have the athleticism and explosiveness and quick step, more of a mid range shooter.

Davis will be there at 9, Mathurin not likely.
    If Davis works, he's going to score a lot. You're obsessed with athleticism.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move 9 and 25 for 6 and draft Murray for the 4. Johnson to bench

Move Poeltl to Charlotte for 13 take Ogbaji( good 3 and d player that plays with fire, upgrade to Primo) for 2

Let Walker go, Primo to bench

Draft Kessler at 20 good pick later, rim defense and rebounding if Poeltl traded

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams that lack athleticism are not good.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. So true and all the people ing about not tanking and making play in are now ing they will not get a good player at the 9th pick...SMH...
    True sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However they get creative with the draft picks, I think there’s a real potential to address Spurs weaknesses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I really liked Moses Moody and I think he’ll show more in the coming seasons. He got limited opportunities in a stacked with veterans GSW team. I also liked Trey Murphy III and he’s looked solid for the Pelicans in the playoffs. Frankly there will be several players that end up better than Primo unless he starts shooting better and delivering on the potential that got the Spurs starry eyed.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move 9 and 25 for 6 and draft Murray for the 4. Johnson to bench

Move Poeltl to Charlotte for 13 take Ogbaji( good 3 and d player that plays with fire, upgrade to Primo) for 2

Let Walker go, Primo to bench

Draft Kessler at 20 good pick later, rim defense and rebounding if Poeltl traded
    Sounds great but 9 and 25 isn’t gonna get you 6. I don’t even think 9, 20 and 25 gets you 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. There were a few players who might turn out well... Herb Jones, Sengun, Trey Murphy, Duarte, Bones Hyland, Ayo Dosunmu, probably Moody... but it's hard to challenge that after 8 the 2021 draft falls off a cliff... This one seems a lot deeper. In all honesty, I'm most worried with the FO trying to outsmart themselves like they did the past 2 drafts, where a poll with the average fan would have yielded better results.
    I am all for Chinook approach a few posts back. I felt tempted to bump it bc I am with it a 100%. I prefer a high floor prospect. Sometimes those guys do end up developing into more, like Kawhi and Butler, but even if they don’t, at least you got something. That would have been the case for taking Clarke over Luka Samanic for example. One helped his team to the conference semifinals getting big and important minutes in a good team, the other is out of the league, but he was a big swing and a miss.

I am hoping still that swing and a miss will end up not being the case with Primo, but right now its wait and see.

Id want them to get someone who has a good solid floor and who will contribute, then try to get that guy to be even better if you can. He may not be a star (Clarke isn’t for example in this comparison, but hes good.)

Either way, I’ll have to accept whatever, if they take a huge gamble I hope they hit this time. Third time is the charm…!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds great but 9 and 25 isn’t gonna get you 6. I don’t even think 9, 20 and 25 gets you 6.
    That could be a problem.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really liked Moses Moody and I think he’ll show more in the coming seasons. He got limited opportunities in a stacked with veterans GSW team. I also liked Trey Murphy III and he’s looked solid for the Pelicans in the playoffs. Frankly there will be several players that end up better than Primo unless he starts shooting better and delivering on the potential that got the Spurs starry eyed.
    I liked Moody more than Primo and said that should have been the Spurs pick instead of Primo.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin brings more offensive fire power with athleticism to his arsenal. That's why he is mocked higher in most mock drafts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indy and Portland both went into the tank hard after the ASG, dropped to 5 and 6, and are drafting 6 and 7.
    Good for them, I'd rather have 6 or 7 than 9.

It's not like fans are buying tickets either way, tank or no tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs drafting 2 PFs would be ideal, since the bench needs one as well. If we could get Murray and EJ Liddell that would be golden. A team without a go-to scorer has to hang its hat on defense

Thread Information