Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the departure of DJ and the inevitable trading of Poeltl, McD and J-Rich, I think Pop would play heavy minutes to the young core including the rookies, most especially Sochan.

I believe Sochan will turn a lot of heads, and even in the running for ROY.

Go Spurs Go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the departure of DJ and the inevitable trading of Poeltl, McD and J-Rich, I think Pop would play heavy minutes to the young core including the rookies, most especially Sochan.

I believe Sochan will turn a lot of heads, and even in the running for ROY.

Go Spurs Go!
    now were talking! Nice breakdown JB

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now were talking! Nice breakdown JB
    Release the Kraken

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is it now?

Jones, Primo, Wesley, Edwards (X-10) -- Think Tre's going to get a modest extension and be named the starter at least for now
    Vassell, Richarson, Branham -- Richardson is like not long for the team, but currently, he'd be in the rotation
    McDermott, Langford -- Functionally, one of the guards is going to slide over. With winning games not the biggest concern, I think Sochan will start as soon as he's viable (which could be immediately if Jakob is dealt)
    Johnson, Sochan, KBD -- That Bates-Diop wasn't dealt instead of Landale means either the Spurs preferred Keita or the Hawks preferred receiving Jock. I'm going to be optimistic
    Poeltl, Collins -- there's an open spot for a big here, maybe a starter if Poeltl is traded away, but unless Barlow is going to be penciled in for a call-up, depth would be nice.

TW: Barlow

That 15/20 spots taken care of. I haven't heard of them tendering any of the young two-way or converted players yet, so I'm not counting them on the roster. I assume at least Wieskamp will make it, but the Spurs could be keeping open roster spots for dumps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins
    kj
    mcdermoot
    vassell
    primo

that ahouod be good enough for last place

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what is it now?

Jones, Primo, Wesley, Edwards (X-10) -- Think Tre's going to get a modest extension and be named the starter at least for now
    Vassell, Richarson, Branham -- Richardson is like not long for the team, but currently, he'd be in the rotation
    McDermott, Langford -- Functionally, one of the guards is going to slide over. With winning games not the biggest concern, I think Sochan will start as soon as he's viable (which could be immediately if Jakob is dealt)
    Johnson, Sochan, KBD -- That Bates-Diop wasn't dealt instead of Landale means either the Spurs preferred Keita or the Hawks preferred receiving Jock. I'm going to be optimistic
    Poeltl, Collins -- there's an open spot for a big here, maybe a starter if Poeltl is traded away, but unless Barlow is going to be penciled in for a call-up, depth would be nice.

TW: Barlow

That 15/20 spots taken care of. I haven't heard of them tendering any of the young two-way or converted players yet, so I'm not counting them on the roster. I assume at least Wieskamp will make it, but the Spurs could be keeping open roster spots for dumps.
    It makes no sense to start Jones over Primo. Just play the highest ceiling players as much as possible and hope the game starts to slow down for them.

Primo, Branham, Vassell, Sochan, a young center. Wesley as the 6th man.

Trade Poeltl, Keldon, McDermott, Richardson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes no sense to start Jones over Primo. Just play the highest ceiling players as much as possible and hope the game starts to slow down for them.

you don't trade Keldon

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't trade Keldon
    It just depends on what the offer is....but he's not looking at an overpaid max extension so you don't have to move him...just be opportunistic if there's a good deal..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson will get the same White/Murray tier extension. If his agent thinks he's worth more, sayanora.

Depth assuming Poetle is dealt - subject to change if Spurs have to sign someone to meet the cap floor.
    PG Primo
    SG Vassell
    SF Johnson
    PF McDermott
    C Sochan (given Poetle is dealt)

2nd team
    PG Jones
    SG Wesley
    SF Branham
    PF Richardson
    C Collins

Should be enough to win about 20-30 games and be in the hunt for the top (bottom) 3 record.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretty much.

Spurs need to figure out what to do with Keldon in terms of getting him to sign an extension now or risk losing him for not much next off-season if some team throws a stupid amount of money at him. He could be a 20 and 7 guy this season with all the extra touches to go around, albeit on a low win tanking team.

If they cant get him to sign a reasonable extension now, you look to trade him for a 1st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson will get the same White/Murray tier extension. If his agent thinks he's worth more, sayanora.

Depth assuming Poetle is dealt - subject to change if Spurs have to sign someone to meet the cap floor.
    PG Primo
    SG Vassell
    SF Johnson
    PF McDermott
    C Sochan (given Poetle is dealt)

2nd team
    PG Jones
    SG Wesley
    SF Branham
    PF Richardson
    C Collins

Should be enough to win about 20-30 games and be in the hunt for the top (bottom) 3 record.
    Not that this matters but for some idiots knowing Klutch represents Keldon will have them ting their panties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't trade Keldon
    Keldon isn't a long term piece, imho. He isn't neither a SF nor a PF. He's also good enough to make the Spurs win more games this upcoming season than they should, but not good enough to get paid what he's probably going to ask. Just trade him for a firs round pick and save the bother, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon isn't a long term piece, imho. He isn't neither a SF nor a PF. He's also good enough to make the Spurs win more games this upcoming season than they should, but not good enough to get paid what he's probably going to ask. Just trade him for a firs round pick and save the bother, tbh.
    you still don't understand how the Spurs operate do you? You let Keldon sign an extension, let him be first option this year so he averages high numbers and THEN you trade him when his value is high. We literally just did the same thing with Murray and White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you still don't understand how the Spurs operate do you? You let Keldon sign an extension, let him be first option this year so he averages high numbers and THEN you trade him when his value is high. We literally just did the same thing with Murray and White.
    I don't think Keldon's value can go much higher. He's already worth a FRP, imho. I don't see any team giving up anything more than that for a guy putting up empty stats on a tanking team. If anything, the value can go down, if his 3pt shooting reverts back to previous form.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Keldon's value can go much higher. He's already worth a FRP, imho. I don't see any team giving up anything more than that for a guy putting up empty stats on a tanking team. If anything, the value can go down, if his 3pt shooting reverts back to previous form.
    It's a gamble either way...if someone that I expected to be a 12-17 pick next year offered me a lightly (top 3 protection) protected pick in this year's draft I'd pull the trigger...if that offer isn't there I believe I'd wait and do what RC said...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha which one of you on ST is Stan the Spurs Fan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It totally makes sense to invest in Jones. Rebuilding teams don't just play their highly drafted players. That's how you get guys like Dort and Covington. Sign Jones to a decent extension and let him develop into an average starting PG. Then deal him if Primo beats him out. Rebuilding teams don't piss away value to gamble. They aren't goijg and to trade Keldon with no one on the roster to play his position. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Keldon is better than Murray. He could be a rotation player on a contending team or in the very least maintain trade value on a bigger contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It totally makes sense to invest in Jones. Rebuilding teams don't just play their highly drafted players. That's how you get guys like Dort and Covington. Sign Jones to a decent extension and let him develop into an average starting PG. Then deal him if Primo beats him out. Rebuilding teams don't piss away value to gamble. They aren't goijg and to trade Keldon with no one on the roster to play his position. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Keldon is better than Murray. He could be a rotation player on a contending team or in the very least maintain trade value on a bigger contract.
    That's all true and in addition to it Tre is the kind of PG that can run the offense and get others in position to play the right way...and that very valuable for such a young team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said the opposite, tbh.

What it doesn't make sense is to invest more in Jones than Primo. You start Primo, play him around 30 minutes, and make Jones the backup. That's what any sensible organization would do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said the opposite, tbh.

What it doesn't make sense is to invest more in Jones than Primo. You start Primo, play him around 30 minutes, and make Jones the backup. That's what any sensible organization would do.
    Not really. You can develop Primo both by himself and next to another ball-handler. There's no compe ion of investment. A sensible organization would see a guy with an easy development curve toward giving them value and not waste it by trying to force an All-Teen lineup to start. Again, you get those gems by not being elitist with your rotation. Both Philly and OKC had young guys they could played instead of the lower-borns who earned the minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. You can develop Primo both by himself and next to another ball-handler. There's no compe ion of investment. A sensible organization would see a guy with an easy development curve toward giving them value and not waste it by trying to force an All-Teen lineup to start. Again, you get those gems by not being elitist with your rotation. Both Philly and OKC had young guys they could played instead of the lower-borns who earned the minutes.
    There is, though. You only have so many minutes and roles to go around. If the rumours are true, and the Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future, then, as a tanking/developing team, the most reasonable thing to do is to start him at PG.

You would be still playing Jones as a backup, and if he ends up proving to be the better player going forward, you can always make the switch. But, to begin, you have to give the primary role to the guy you project will have the highest ceiling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is, though. You only have so many minutes and roles to go around. If the rumours are true, and the Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future, then, as a tanking/developing team, the most reasonable thing to do is to start him at PG.

You would be still playing Jones as a backup, and if he ends up proving to be the better player going forward, you can always make the switch. But, to begin, you have to give the primary role to the guy you project will have the highest ceiling.
    You give all the roles to the people who earn them. There's a great chance that Jones is the better and more valuable player than Primo going forward. This isn't some old head they're looking to sign. This is a guy who was drafted a year before Primo who played well during this time on the court. You don't have to give Josh 30 minutes as a starter to develop him. He's competing with Vassell, Johnson and maybe another perimeter player for touches. You can have him play more of a combo-guard role as he continues to develop his feel for the game.

Even for tankers what you should want is a team that plays well but still loses games. You want them to be as ready to take advantage of the talent infusion they get as possible. Nothing is gained from purposefully sabotaging the flow of the team. If Primo makes the big strides and is better than or at least close to Jones, starting him makes sense. But he doesn't have to make his big leap this year. If he does, it'll be because of this off-season work, not getting a starting job right away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You give all the roles to the people who earn them. There's a great chance that Jones is the better and more valuable player than Primo going forward. This isn't some old head they're looking to sign. This is a guy who was drafted a year before Primo who played well during this time on the court. You don't have to give Josh 30 minutes as a starter to develop him. He's competing with Vassell, Johnson and maybe another perimeter player for touches. You can have him play more of a combo-guard role as he continues to develop his feel for the game.

Even for tankers what you should want is a team that plays well but still loses games. You want them to be as ready to take advantage of the talent infusion they get as possible. Nothing is gained from purposefully sabotaging the flow of the team. If Primo makes the big strides and is better than or at least close to Jones, starting him makes sense. But he doesn't have to make his big leap this year. If he does, it'll be because of this off-season work, not getting a starting job right away.
    So, let me guess this straight:

-Primo finished last season in the starting lineup.
    -The Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future.
    -The Spurs traded their all-star starting PG, and are in full rebuilding mode.
    -But you think the smartest thing would be to demote Primo back to the bench, to give the starting role to a player the organization doesn't see as having as much potential?

Ok. You can have any opinion you want, just know that it isn't the most popular or logical one, tbh.

Thread Information