Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw, OKC already has four of their core players they'll need to start being a very compe ive team. SGA, Giddey, Dort, and Chet, if given the time and effort to develop together as a group really only lack a wing from being a serious pain in the ass in the Western Conference. And they are slowly developing a solid bench too.

I mean the beat us once when SGA and Dort had good games. Now they'll have Chet too.

Clearly all 4 teams in our division have now left us in the rearview. Now if we can only tank most of our other games, well have a very legitimate shot at Wembanyama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng may very well be a fine player, but he'll never get the touches or capacity to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presti is pretty bad at actually creating teams; he seems addicted to the draft process and ac ulating assets.

I disagree with you, though. I think Giddey stays -- he opens up the floor for everyone and victimizes teams with back door cuts. I think Jalen Williams will flounder. He needs a serious team and seems to need the ball in his hands. I feel like Dieng will become an afterthought and won't be developed. We'll forget him until his name pops up for extensions.

After all this, they finally have a team iden y, it's Holmgren's team, but building around him's another thing.
    I still think it's SGAs' team right now but can see him sharing responsibilities with Holmgren as the season progresses.

My stream of conciousness FWIW:

Presti has essentially run Sam Hinkie's "Philadelphia Process" throughout the last few seasons. This appears to have been the draft they were targeting after finally landing a potential franchise altering talent such as Holmgren.
    I'll think you'll see his team building process shift as a result.

One of the things Hinkie identified early was that MCW, fresh off his ROY accolade, was analytically never going to become a consistent shooter. He wanted to move him when his value was at it's likely highest and did.
    He was heavily maligned for this at the time but it turned out to be the right call with MCW going on to have a journeymen type career... (Not saying Giddey will be this but there is a shooting concern overlap).

For me; Jalen Williams, Ousmane Dieng, Tre Mann, Josh Giddey and SGA are all gunning for the Primary Distributor moniker.
    SGA is locked up under contract for some time, Ousmane they just invested heavily into to obtain and the rest are very much TBD in RE: to their future roles within the team.

Now there is a lot of water that has to go under the bridge, admittedly, but I can see OKC coming out of the gates relatively strong and surprising a few teams this season.
    Giddey may be considered expendable if the jumpshot doesn't show enough progress in the short term...

I expect them to entertain serious offers for Giddey, maybe as early as the trade deadline.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why in the Presti gave three first round picks for Dieng?
    I think someone here looked into it and basically they were like the 3 crappiest FRPs in the OKC War chest

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presti clearly needed to go for Duren or get some size and beef, whether in the draft or otherwise. He seems allergic to doing so.
    Yeah I was thinking leading up to and during the draft that they were a legit chance at taking Duren with their 12 pick, or even Mark Williams. Then when they traded for 11 and kept 12, I was doubly sure they were taking one of those two.

Perhaps Presti's thinking is they can plug that 5 spot with a defensive C through established players and focus their development in the 1-4 spots which most argue are more important than the 5 spot in todays NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng is meh. Wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into the next Kevin Knox. Thank god the Spurs didn’t draft him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think someone here looked into it and basically they were like the 3 crappiest FRPs in the OKC War chest
    https://thunderousintentions.com/202...ousmane-dieng/
    The OKC Thunder sent the Knicks three picks in the 2023 NBA Draft one via the Wizards (Top-14 protected), one via the Nuggets (Top-14 protected), and one via the Pistons (Top-18 protected) for Ousmane Dieng of The New Zealand Breakers.
    Basically NY got:
    1. Denver's 2023 1st: protected 1-14 in 2023, 2024 & 2025. With the return of Murray & MPJ, will surely convey in the 20s next year.
    2. Detroit's 2023 1st: protected 1-18 in 2023, 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027; will convey in 2024 or 2025 around the 20s
    3. Washington's 2023 1st: protected 1-14 in 2023, 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026. May not convey next year, buy surely will at some point before 2026, and it'll be a high pick.

Those are not bad picks at all... all of them have ample chances of conveying at one point or another, and Washington's may be a pretty good one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah those are actually pretty good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why in the Presti gave three first round picks for Dieng?
    I don't know that that's the right way to look at it. In the rookie press conference, he went out of his way to clarify that it's not that he made the trade to get ONE player (Dieng) he liked, as much as it was not having to choose between TWO players he loved, the other being Jalen Williams. He also stated that he has been following Dieng for years, while he just took notice of Jalen Williams recently in the draft process. So given that, I think had he not been able to make a trade, he'd have taken DIENG and not Jalen Williams @ 12, so even though everyone will claim for years they gave up 3 firsts for Dieng, it may very well be that they actually did so for Jalen Williams instead.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah guess they’re not too bad. There is also a chance that WAS never conveys given the disarray of that team, but if it does could be quite good.

I guess it’s move a function of OKC having so many that they were OK overpaying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those picks are garbage. Like three Charlotte picks all in a row. They only work as minor incentive in three transactions, but they misread the market and ended up getting everything done with just seconds. And they didn't even end up needing the space. That was an absolute faux pas of a trade for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those picks are garbage. Like three Charlotte picks all in a row. They only work as minor incentive in three transactions, but they misread the market and ended up getting everything done with just seconds. And they didn't even end up needing the space. That was an absolute faux pas of a trade for them.
    Those 3 picks may very well end up better than the Charlotte pick we just got in the Dejounte trade, which has very real chance of not conveying, and even if it does, it likely won't be much higher than eve the 2 worst of those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only saving grace of the whole thing for New York is that Charlotte was dumb enough to take one of those picks for 13. Had New York then taken a guy they wanted and then used the one of the other picks to dump Kemba later on, it would've ended up being an unearned master stroke. But then they pissed away that by using their only good pick to get off Kemba's mid-sized expiring. They got MKE's loosely protected 2025 first in the deal as well (which used to be unprotected until New Orleans cucked the Blazers by keeping most of the upside of the pick by making it a one-shot top-four protected selection and keeping it if it does get one of those spots). That's a decent asset, but it's going to be really hard for it to be better than a lotto pick already in hand for a team that is looking to use cap space and needs cheap contributors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That I agree with. They could have essentially been paid 2 first rounders to trade down from 11 to 13. That would have been the better move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those 3 picks may very well end up better than the Charlotte pick we just got in the Dejounte trade, which has very real chance of not conveying, and even if it does, it likely won't be much higher than eve the 2 worst of those.
    Why are you assuming Detroit and Washington will convey but Charlotte won't? It's not like the Hornets pick is a one-shot. It's three years and then seconds. You're contrasting that with five years of protections into one second and four years of protections and two seconds. As mentioned before, the Denver pick isn't even theirs anymore, so they won't reap the benefits of it conveying. They were able to convince Charlotte to take it, so it's already conveyed its value there, I guess.

I'd rank them:

WSH
    CHA
    DET

The Wizards pick is one you hope will convey soon with a legit All-Star on their team, and at least it turns into two seconds if it doesn't convey. Also one of those seconds is in the last year of conveyance, so it's more likely to be a decent second.

The Hornets pick is one that could convey soon, but it's not clear what's going to happen now that Bridges is toast. They have a young All-Star, some vet role-players and a competent coach. If they can hold it together, there's a chance that the pick will convey. If it falls apart, at least it's two seconds, though the conveyance window ends a year before the seconds convey, leading to the possibility of the Hornets getting it together just in time to give bad seconds after years of protecting their first.

The Pistons MIGHT be good, but they're a young team, and their pick is protected for five years. Once it expires, they'll only give up one second. It's a really bad pick.

The Denver pick was the best pick of the bunch, which is why Charlotte took it in trade along with some seconds. Considering the Knicks could've left it there, the other two picks would just be gravy. They're good assets to grease the wheels on a trade similar to the Nash pick that was moved around multiple times, though the eventually 10th-overall conveyance that pick had in 2018 was better than we could expect from most of these picks. Maybe it's more like that Dragic first that moved from MIA to PHX to Philly to LAC to OKC that ended up being Tre Mann. That pick was at least unprotected though. Regardless, they aren't bad throw-in picks, but you don't trade a lotto pick for them directly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng is meh. Wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into the next Kevin Knox. Thank god the Spurs didn’t draft him.
    He'll be fine. My goodness, y’all are gonna turn me into Atl Spur for a guy on another team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Tom Orsborn: Spotted Joe Wieskamp wearing a walking boot on his right foot while sitting near courtside at the Aces game.

He said it isn't anything serious. "I'll be good," he added.

Will try to get a full report on Wieskamp from Mitch Johnson when Spurs practice Thursday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Tom Orsborn: Spotted Joe Wieskamp wearing a walking boot on his right foot while sitting near courtside at the Aces game.

He said it isn't anything serious. "I'll be good," he added.

Will try to get a full report on Wieskamp from Mitch Johnson when Spurs practice Thursday.
    Oh , he's gonna try to force a trade to Los Angeles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly all 4 teams in our division have now left us in the rearview. Now if we can only tank most of our other games, well have a very legitimate shot at Wembanyama.
    Will Craig Pop grasp the shot at Wembanyama in the last month of the season vs obviously tanking opponents instead of going for the seed altering wins like the last 2 seasons?

The memories of the 1 2022 play in elimination game vs Pelicans will live forever, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll be fine. My goodness, y’all are gonna turn me into Atl Spur for a guy on another team.
    Haha I feel you. Would you be okay with the Spurs drafting him at 9 or nah?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo doesn’t miss legs day for sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Undrafted Lofton giving Chet the business. It is Summer League, but the weight is definitely a problem for Chet’s defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elder statesmen of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to say Spurs social media is not treating Wiesy like a guy who's not making the team.

Thread Information