Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is the quiet we're getting from the Spurs' FO is that they're working on doing something big in the Murray talks and that's the focus.

Pop will try to be the first coach of a team with $30MM in cap space that makes a run in the post season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There really aren't many free agents that I see that make the Spurs that much better this year. Lavine perhaps is the only one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There really aren't many free agents that I see that make the Spurs that much better this year. Lavine perhaps is the only one.
    The one player I keep thinking about is Collin Sexton.

Could they be trading DJM for a huge haul, and have in mind that they can get Sexton at ~50/3yrs? Big drop off of course, but he's 3 years younger, could fit well next to Primo in the backcourt, and gives the Spurs a chance to build up another asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one player I keep thinking about is Collin Sexton.

Could they be trading DJM for a huge haul, and have in mind that they can get Sexton at ~50/3yrs? Big drop off of course, but he's 3 years younger, could fit well next to Primo in the backcourt, and gives the Spurs a chance to build up another asset.
    His defense makes Forbes look like Dejounte.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defense makes Forbes look like Dejounte.
    Yeah, I'm sure he's not perfect. I see it more as buying low on a distressed asset coming off an injury and is 3 years younger than Murray. I recall reading several months ago that the Spurs were sniffing around.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you look at from that perspective you’d ask yourself if you’d trade DJ for Sexton and 3 pics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a reason Cleveland wants to get rid of Sexton: they want to win games and compete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if one of the reasons they'd be willing to trade away DJ is because they're high on Primo, bringing in a guy like Sexton doesn't make any sense tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you look at from that perspective you’d ask yourself if you’d trade DJ for Sexton and 3 pics.
    Yeah, I think I might.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a reason Cleveland wants to get rid of Sexton: they want to win games and compete.
    No, with Garland, they dont want to pay him 100M/4yrs, which is what he was asking for pre-injury. Again, I'm not saying he's perfect, but think he could be a reclamation project at a position of need (if DJM leaves).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if one of the reasons they'd be willing to trade away DJ is because they're high on Primo, bringing in a guy like Sexton doesn't make any sense tbh.
    The issue with Sexton is that he's not a natural PG whilst being 6'2." He's more of a secondary ball-handler (which we've about not having for some time now). The question is whether Primo is ready for primary ball-handling duty, and there I'm less certain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, with Garland, they dont want to pay him 100M/4yrs, which is what he was asking for pre-injury. Again, I'm not saying he's perfect, but think he could be a reclamation project at a position of need (if DJM leaves).
    Sexton is a bit of a chucker and is absolutely horrible defensively. Considering what they're putting together, they don't want a player like Sexton. I certainly wouldn't want to pay him, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with Branham on the team getting Sexton really makes no sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That SA has been out of the cap-space selling suggests that they haven't decided to pack it in for the year yet. To a certain extent, it could just be because other teams are selling their space cheaply. But it gives me the sense that they do want the option to open up max space but that they considered Collins too valuable (or potentially so) to dump him preemptively. Are they thinking that they might trade Poeltl? Could they do so in a way that opens up max cap space? Maybe.

I'm still a fan of looking to a Poeltl-for-Cam-Johnson swap. If the Suns lose Ayton, they might well want a competent replacement. Ironically enough, they might want to use the MLE on Jalen Smith instead or another big like Mitchel Robinson. I expressed before about how good I think a Keldon/Cam/Sochan rotation would be and how I think the Spurs might not see Jakob as their archetypical center. Collins could be that guy if he stays healthy and continues to expand his game. Jalen Smith could be the guy to come in and compete with or complement Zach. Those would just be moderate moves for the Spurs, leaving them with either Lonnie's hold or about $15 Million in cap space to sell for assets to maybe take another shot at a rotation player.

Murray, Jones, Wesley
    Vassell, Primo, Branham
    Johnson, McDermott, Langford
    Johnson, Sochan, KBD
    Smith, Collins, Landale

TW: Wieskamp, Barlow

Maybe trading McDermott and Langford for Hayward? That'd use up some cap space and give the Spurs yet another rotational forward, but that'd also be a ton of money sunk into forwards after this year when both Johnsons are up for new contracts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d consider this a successful off-season with the caveat this is a sh!t free agency so there are no targets who make sense.

1. Take a chance on another big like Jalen Smith or Mo Bamba. A 3yr deal in the area of 8-13mm for a young big with promise. Doesn’t break the bank, provides depth at a position of need and if they look good to start the season you can start considering moving Jak for future assets versus paying what is likely 15mm or more to resign him.

2. No McDermott like contracts. That was a head scratching waste of capital last off-season. DO NOT repeat a similar move. In fact make an effort to off-load him as he just gets in the way of our youth. I’d rather see one of our many young 2guards get time/play out of position as a SF than have McBooger back.

3. Find JRich a home in return for a young asset and or draft capital. I like JRich but it makes more sense to monetize him versus keeping him around as the locker room vet. That role can be filled via #4 below

4. Rent 15-30mm in cap space for young assets and or draft capital. 1 year term preferred. Those returning bad contracts ideally serve as the veteran leadership, positive locker room presence, perceived young OG type teammates to help the youth, provide stability and mentoring where fitting. Also become candidates to be moved again at the trade deadline for more draft capital

5. Extend Keldon somewhere in the area of 4yrs/70-80mm

Let the youth sink or swim and hopefully enter the 2023 draft with a top 5 pick while continuing to develop our young core. Enter the 2023 off-season with cap flex.

Agree 5 times. Lets not forget to add trade Romeo Langford to that list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm sure he's not perfect. I see it more as buying low on a distressed asset coming off an injury and is 3 years younger than Murray. I recall reading several months ago that the Spurs were sniffing around.
    It’s not a matter of imperfect. His defense is ing non-existent. He plays no defense.

I don’t remember the Spurs sniffing around. Like most NBA journalism pieces, they find a potential cap space landing place, and write the story from that.

We’d be far better off renting that cap space for picks. That would be a positive transaction.

Why the do we need another guard, anyway?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t worry boys. It appears the Spurs are going all-in for a championship run!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t worry boys. It appears the Spurs are going all-in for a championship run!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense for Portis unless this oddsmaker just thinks the Spurs will throw a big one or two year deal at him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense for Portis unless this oddsmaker just thinks the Spurs will throw a big one or two year deal at him.
    It’s beyond stupid for a non playoff team to even call his agent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d absolutely throw 4/80mil at Portis. He’d fit very well.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s beyond stupid for a non playoff team to even call his agent.
    I wouldn't go that far. The Spurs were two wins away from the playoffs last year, can reasonably be expected to have a better record due to young player development and positive record regression to their point differential, and would presumably be better with Portis than without him (though he's mainly a C these days).

I still don't think it makes sense for the Spurs, but offering him something like 2/30, like Marcus Morris took with the Knicks (a comparable situation imo), could make him listen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d absolutely throw 4/80mil at Portis. He’d fit very well.
    take of the week. He’s 27, and is not a mentor type. Other than one aberration season where the Knicks threw $15M at him to hold their cap space for a year, he’s never made more than $4.5M. You want to throw 4/$80M at a career journeyman. Jesus Christ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was joking. He must've been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice to see McDermott getting in some work this summer.

Thread Information