Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah DJ is loving the attention- Who doesn’t like to be fought over. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can DJ improve in two years to be worth a max contract? It’s realistic but should Spurs gamble and risk him walking or a less s&t return than what they are getting offered now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Murray trade happens, it is to tank hard for that French unicorn. So, yeah, you have to trade Poeltl at that point. Trade any serviceable veteran and just play the farm the entire season.

Lineup of Primo, Branham, Vassell, Keldon, Landale with Wesley as the 6th man.
    If you're trying to tank, you got to re-sign Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're trying to tank, you got to re-sign Lonnie.
    And a third tour of duty for tank commander Bryn Forbes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte to ATL confirmed.

Yeah that’s a picture of a man who’s fully aware of what’s going on.

After the Big 3, it’s too high a bar to set, players who don’t need the limelight but trusting the system will develop a championship team with sacrifices and patience. Easier said with Timmy in the middle. But still DJ strikes me as someone who is bothered for not getting the MIP award, the All-Defensive and other individual accolades more than the team. It’s getting clearer he is getting moved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah DJ is loving the attention- Who doesn’t like to be fought over. Lol
    Manu and Timmy would shrug them off. TP would probably seeking a mire compe ive team to play with

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Show me the FA or even the obtainable player we can add to this roster that's better than DJ. Then show me the 2nd player we can add thats better than DJ that we can add because that's what it will take to compete. If there's a realistic path to obtaining that I'm all for it....I just don't see it and not one person on this board has laid out a realistic path to achieve that.
    I'm not talking about a better player than DJ, it's more about going all in by the draft. Im not sure it's better than trying to makes this team better.

Offcourse if you have a really big offer fort DJ you need to think about it'

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not talking about a better player than DJ, it's more about going all in by the draft. Im not sure it's better than trying to makes this team better.

Offcourse if you have a really big offer fort DJ you need to think about it'
    I'm not sure I'm following here...what do you mean about going all in by the draft?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ledger

Outgoing:
    Dejounte Murray, the player
    Opportunity cost of two years of near All-Star level play or higher
    Team leadership

Incoming:
    A clutch of draft picks
    Since draft picks are protected, no additional chances at top picks
    Potential changed team psychology ("If we play well enough, will we get traded immediately?")
    A potentially worse team, with Primo and Jones as sole PG types (with only as much as a 14% chance for tall skinny French guy)
    Probable better overall package in picks (alone) than the S&T for moving Murray in two years (picks and players)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure I'm following here...what do you mean about going all in by the draft?
    Tanking for next year draft

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking for next year draft
    Gotcha

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is stuck in concrete if they max DJ without better max players to put alongside him. Draft pick don't 'automatically' make the team better but they do give us a better chance of being better than going forward with DJ as your best player on a max deal.
    Why I was really hoping they would have been able to tank this year to land a top 4 pick and hopefully have the talent next to him to where maxing Murray would have made sense. But Sochan's not that guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ledger

Outgoing:
    Team leadership

Incoming:
    A clutch of draft picks
    Potential changed team psychology ("If we play well enough, will we get traded immediately?")
    A potentially worse team, with Primo and Jones as sole PG types (with only as much as a 14% chance for tall skinny French guy)
    Probable better overall package in picks (alone) than the S&T for moving Murray in two years (picks and players)
    Yea...Who said all picks are unprotected? And how are you getting a 14% cance at Wembanyama?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why I was really hoping they would have been able to tank this year to land a top 4 pick and hopefully have the talent next to him to where maxing Murray would have made sense. But Sochan's not that guy.
    Agreed...of we had one of the top guys this year we're having a wholly different conversation right now..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea...Who said all picks are unprotected? And how are you getting a 14% cance at Wembanyama?
    'Protected'...couldn't edit by the time I saw that..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ledger

Outgoing:
    Team leadership

Incoming:
    A clutch of draft picks
    I thought Primo was going to be special?

Is the team's goal "leadership" or is it to be in serious contention for a championship? As Mo said upthread, no one has articulated a path to contention that involves keeping the team we have and adding available parts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed...of we had one of the top guys this year we're having a wholly different conversation right now..
    Ugh if they could somehow flip Poetl into an unprotected first from a lottery team by taking a bad contract back, and then just sit Murray late in the season for tanking purposes. Because dumping Murray is a bitter pill to swallow.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank god DJ is only trolling and not creating a real media storm about all this. That’s all I’m certain of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Primo was going to be special?

Is the team's goal "leadership" or is it to be in serious contention for a championship? As Mo said upthread, no one has articulated a path to contention that involves keeping the team we have and adding available parts.
    Maybe flipping Poetl for picks and sitting Murray late in the season like OKC does with SGA would be enough to get in the tank sweepstakes. Ugh I really don't want to dump Murray and have no established talent whatsoever on the team. I still don't know WTF the team seems to be seeing in Primo based on his rookie year. Doesn't seem anything like the Parker situation when the Spurs knew they had a star by second game of summer league and Seattle was beating down the Spurs door offering Gary Payton for Parker after seeing him there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is next year's draft good enough that the Spurs would still get some serious talent in the top 4 if they missed the #1 pick though?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is next year's draft good enough that the Spurs would still get some serious talent in the top 4 if they missed the #1 pick though?
    Yes, the top 6 are thought to be better than the top pick this year by most talent evaluators.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe flipping Poetl for picks and sitting Murray late in the season like OKC does with SGA would be enough to get in the tank sweepstakes. Ugh I really don't want to dump Murray and have no established talent whatsoever on the team. I still don't know WTF the team seems to be seeing in Primo based on his rookie year. Doesn't seem anything like the Parker situation when the Spurs knew they had a star by second game of summer league and Seattle was beating down the Spurs door offering Gary Payton for Parker after seeing him there.
    I agree with you on shipping Murray. I don't want to either. That said, we're a treadmill/perpetual play in team, and the only way out of purgatory is to liquidate the little talent we have for a chance at something better. It's a rock-and-a-hard-place situation for sure.

And yah, only moron fluffers think Primo is anything more than a potential career journeyman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lottery pick in 2023 is the same as a top 4 pick in this year's draft imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of the picks in play are unprotected and I doubt they can get any. And 14% is the best any team, even the worst team, can get as a chance for the top pick in the draft.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the top 6 are thought to be better than the top pick this year by most talent evaluators.
    That would increase the Spurs trajectory of being a contender and align with the young core they already have if they can land two picks inside the top 10 instead of keeping Murray and having no picks inside the top 10.

Thread Information