By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
March 14, 2004

AP - Mar 14, 6:09 pm EST

CLEVELAND (AP) -- LeBron James slipped on an orange No. 23 Cavaliers' throwback jersey -- his own.

The rookie's retro look wasn't the only fashion statement in Gund Arena on Sunday. At long last, even the Cavaliers are back in style.

James scored 26 points and forced Ron Artest to take a tough 3-pointer as the final horn sounded, leading the Cavaliers to their sixth straight win, 107-104 Sunday over the Indiana Pacers.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas made two free throws with 36 seconds left and forced a big turnover seconds later for the Cavs, who improved to 10-3 since the All-Star break.

Many of those wins had come against some of the league's weaker teams, but by beating the NBA-leading Pacers, Cleveland strengthened its hold on a playoff spot and legitimized an improbable turnaround season.

"We feel like we're one of the best teams in the East,'' James said, "and we're proving ourselves.''

Sure enough. The Cavs (30-36), who won just 17 games last season, have won six in a row for the first time since Dec. 5-16, 2000. And suddenly, talk of making the playoffs has given way to speculation about who they'll play.

"I think this win shows that we're a team to be reckoned with,'' point guard Jeff McInnis said. "We know we can play with anybody that puts an NBA uniform on. But we're not going to get y or overconfident, though. We'll just keep going out and doing our thing.''

Jermaine O'Neal had 32 points for the Pacers, who had their seven-game winning streak stopped. Indiana lost in Gund Arena for the first time since 1998 after winning 12 in a row.

Both teams played with a playoff-like intensity and performed as if there was something bigger on the line.

And only the 20,562 fans were lucky enough to see it as the matchup wasn't shown on TV in either Indianapolis or Cleveland because of a network blackout.

"That's too bad,'' James said.

Fittingly, the see-saw game came down to Indiana's final possession.

After Ilgauskas' two free throws made it 107-104, the 7-foot-3 center -- benched earlier this season for his weak defense -- stopped O'Neal on the baseline and forced him to dribble the ball off his knee and out of bounds.

McInnis made the second of two free throws with 18 seconds left, setting up a wild sequence. Indiana's Jamaal Tinsley missed a 3-pointer, Al Harrington came up with the rebound after a scramble in the lane and James accidentally bowled over referee Luis Grillo.

Indiana then set up for a final play with 4 seconds left, but Artest never got a good look with James in his face and misfired on his 3-pointer as time expired.

"I just fell short,'' Artest said. "I'm glad I got that shot out of the way now so when the playoffs come and I'm in that situation, I'm sure it will go down.''

The Cavs didn't score a field goal in the final 3:24 and Indiana had just one over the last 4:15 as both teams buckled down defensively.

Carlos Boozer scored 19 points, McInnis had 16 and 10 assists and Lee Nailon had 15 off the bench for Cleveland, which currently owns the No. 6 playoff spot and will play its next four at home.

Nailon, who signed his second 10-day contract on Saturday, is 6-0 since joining the Cavs.

"I knew I could play in this league,'' he said. "It was just finding the right team and the right coach.''

Artest scored 21 and Harrington added 18 for the Pacers, who lost despite shooting 56 percent from the field.

James scored 20 points in the first half -- 13 in the opening period -- with an array of drives and jumpers. He spotted up and dropped in two long jumpers over Artest, who appeared willing to let the Cavs' rookie shoot rather than drive.

Artest, who picked up two early fouls, was slightly bothered by Indiana coach Rick Carlisle's decision to have Reggie Miller guard James to start the game.

"Why wait until late to put me on him?'' Artest said. "That's my job.''

James was 9-for-12 in the opening half and Nailon was 6-for-7 as the Cavs took a 62-58 lead at the break. It was the most points Indiana has given up ina half this season.

(I'll post my summary on my website tomorrow, currently taking some time off.) - Pooh.