Page 268 of 280 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,700 of 6986
    Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you still don't understand the superior being stuff.
    See as I told you yep, ya follow me around....why?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you still don't understand the superior being stuff.
    Add that to the list.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    he's only like that to you.

its about that superior being stuff that you'll never get.
    Dude, flip the record over, ok? Yep...yawn~~~~~~~~

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See there it is right there, unless ya can preach all that silly crap of yours ya have no idea how to act.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    I get this feeling you're pretty robotic, unless you are reading your notes ya really have no clue how interact with others. I can sense you are uneasy actually visiting with people, ya prefer to preach crap at them.
    It's awesome how far off base and wrong you are regarding RG. I love it!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Let's start with a few bits of data supporting the theory of evolution.

One important thing for evolution to take place is simply time. The initial steps from unicellular prokaryotes to eukaryotes took a while. If evolution is to be proven, you first have to have sufficient time for the race to begin.

First up: geology.
    Lithologic Stratigraphy
    The Earth’s crust has layers. Some of these layers are from the decomposition of sediment, others come from chemical precipitation, others from decaying organic matter, and others from volcanic lava. The reason we can see the layers is because they were formed in different ways.
    http://ideonexus.com/2012/02/12/101-...ution-is-true/

Lithostratigraphy is a sub-discipline of stratigraphy, the geological science associated with the study of strata or rock layers. Major focuses include geochronology, comparative geology, and petrology. In general a stratum will be primarily igneous or sedimentary relating to how the rock was formed.

Sedimentary layers are laid down by deposition of sediment associated with weathering processes, decaying organic matters (biogenic) or through chemical precipitation. These layers are distinguishable as having many fossils and are important for the study of biostratigraphy. Igneous layers are either plutonic or volcanic in character depending upon the cooling rate of the rock. These layers are generally devoid of fossils and represent intrusions and volcanic activity that occurred over the geologic history of the area.

There are a number of principles that are used to explain the appearance of stratum. When an igneous rock cuts across a formation of sedimentary rock, then we can say that the igneous intrusion is younger than the sedimentary rock. The principle of superposition states that a sedimentary rock layer in a tectonically undisturbed stratum is younger than the one beneath and older than the one above it. The principle of original horizontality states that the deposition of sediments occurs as essentially horizontal beds.
    Fancy way of saying that dirt has layers. Some of which are the result of different processes.

Step from this to figuring out how long it took for these various layers to form.

Here we rely on first on the law of superposition. Oldest layers will be deeper than newer layers.

To begin to accept evolution as true, you need to have evidence of this. Fairly easy. Just dig a lot, and see what turns up.

You start with easy things, such as human settlements of long-lived cities. London is a good example, Rome another.

Seems common sense enough, but I can provide a few scientific papers if anybody wants, but the basics were laid down as early as the 1600's for modern consideration of fossils by a gentleman who simply asked how a solid such as a fossil, could end up inside another solid, such as a layer of rock.
    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/steno.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For all the supposed evidence for transitional fossils, that terribly made 2 minute video with cheesy music is the best you guys can do ? Seriously ?
    Well, let's first determine what a "transitional fossil" is. Defining terms is an important thing in science, and any attempt to understand any topic.

Easy enough to start with wikipedia:
    A transitional fossil is any fossilized remains of a life form that exhibits traits common to both an ancestral group and its derived descendant group.
    Basically, for evolution to be true, one should be able to show, generally, how groups of animals changed over time.

This is generally done by using the above noted Law of Superposition.

Evolution, as a workable theory, predicts that if you have a fossil of an animal in any given layer or era, you should be able to dig down to previous layers, and locate the ancestors for that species grouping.

Archaeopteryx being one of the most commonly presented examples. We have modern birds, that we had always suspected came from dinosaurs. Digging down we find a dinosaur with bird-like traits, below any examples of the first birds.

Whales are another good example of how evolution predicts things that we eventually found. Whales, dolphins, and porpoises, are air breathing mammals, relatively recently emerged.

For evolution to be true, we would expect that these animals would have had to come from animals that lived on land. Further, we would know approximately *when* these animals would have to have existed, simply by observing the oldest whale fossils we could find and theorizing that their ancestors came before.

After a lot of research, we finally discovered the first candidates in the early 80's, and in the mid 90's enough other specimens were found for a reasonable consensus about where whales probably came from to emerge:

Further reading could be had here:
    http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib...le/evograms_03

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here I will pause, and note a common logical flaw in many peoples reasoning;

Moving the goalposts.

Logical fallacy[edit]
    Moving the goalposts, similar to "shifting sands" and also known as raising the bar, is an informal fallacy in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded. That is, after an attempt has been made to score a goal, the goalposts are moved to exclude the attempt.[3] The problem with changing the rules of the game is that the meaning of the end result is changed, too.[4]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

Or if you prefer, a better presented form of this flawed argument here:

M
    OVING THE GOALPOSTS
    (also known as: gravity game, raising the bar, argument by demanding impossible perfection [form of])

Description: Demanding from an opponent that he or she address more and more points after the initial counter-argument has been satisfied refusing to conceded or accept the opponent’s argument.

Logical Form:

Issue A has been raised, and adequately answered.
    Issue B is then raised, and adequately answered.
    Issue Z is then raised, and adequately answered.
    (despite all issues adequately answered, the opponent refuses to conceded or accept the argument.
    Example #1:

Ken: There has to be an objective morality because otherwise terms like “right” and “wrong” would be meaningless, since they have no foundation for comparison.
    Rob: The terms “right” and “wrong” are based on cultural norms, which do have a subjective foundation -- one that changes as the moral sphere of the culture changes. The term “heavy” does not have an objective standard, yet we have no problem using that term in a meaningful way. In fact, very few relational terms have any kind of objective foundation.
    Ken: But without an objective morality, we would all be lost morally as a race.
    Rob: Many would say that we are.
    Ken: But how can you say that torturing children for fun is morally acceptable in any situation?
    Rob: Personally, I wouldn’t, but you are implying that anything that is not objective must necessarily be seen in all possible ways. A feather may not be seen as “heavy” to anyone, but that doesn’t mean its “lightness” is still not relative to other objects.
    Ken: But God is the standard of objective morality. Prove that wrong!
    Rob: That I cannot do.
    Explanation: Ken starts with a statement explaining why he thinks there has to be an objective morality -- a statement based on a reasonable argument that can be pursued with reason and logic. Rob adequately answers that objection, as indicated by Ken’s move away from that objection to a new objection. This pattern continues until we arrive at an impossible request. Despite all the objections being adequately answered, at no time does Ken concede any points or abandon the argument.

Example #2: Perhaps the most classic example of this fallacy is the argument for the existence of God. Due to understanding of nature through science, many of the arguments that used to be used for God (or gods) were abandoned, only to be replaced with new ones, usually involving questions to which science has not definitively answered yet. The move from creationism to intelligent design is a prime example. Currently the origin of life is a popular argument for God (although a classic argument from ignorance), and an area where we very well may have a scientific answer in the next decade, at which time, the “origin of life” argument will fade away and be replaced by another, thus moving the figurative goalposts farther back as our understanding of the natural world increases.
    The common application of this flawed line of reasoning is to insist on the impossible proof that every single transitional form be presented before evolution is "proved".

This is neither feasible, nor required to accept something as true.

Take this series of numbers for example:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, (X), 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ...

We can deduce what "X" is, even if we don't know with an absolute certainty what comes after 14 in the series, simply by forming a hypothesis that the rule governing the set is "add one to the number on the left".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There is no end to this....

So – the big questions are: does variety show that life-forms are changing from one kind into another? Or does variety have a limit?

There are only two ways to find out!

• First, do we see Evolution happening today or do we see that life-forms have limits in their variety?
    • Second, if Evolution is true, the fossil record of the past should show millions of examples of transitional fossils.

On the other hand, if Evolution is not true, the fossil record should show that life-forms in the past had limits to their variety also.

This means a REAL transitional form would not be a “variety”. Instead, these life-forms should show a major structure that is clearly changing.

In other words – if rodents became bats we should see some strange rodent with super long fingers. Why? Because bats have fingers longer than their bodies that they use as wings.

The truth is the only possible transitional fossils Evolutionists bring up are not convincing – even to other Evolutionists. There are some interesting mosaic creatures like the platypus and the walrus in the world. But the platypus and the walrus are complete within their own kind. They are not transitional forms. If Creation is what really happened in the past, this is what we would expect to find in the fossil record. (3)

When people think of mammals, bats are probably not the first animals to come to mind, yet they account for roughly a fifth of current mammal species. They simply have so many specialized features—large ears and echolocation, radically extended forelimb bones, skin flaps connecting their limbs—that they seem quite removed from what we view as a typical mammal. A new fossil find from Wyoming, described in this week's edition of Nature, sheds light on the origin of many of these features.

As you can see at right, the fossil is astonishingly well preserved. It comes from deposits that date to about 52.5 million years ago, a time when many mammalian groups were expanding, possibly in response to the environmental changes associated with the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. The species has been named Onychonycteris finneyi, meaning "clawed bat" and honoring its discoverer, Bonnie Finney.

The clawed bat part refers to one of the many intermediate features that make Onychonycteris the most primitive bat species ever described. In all current and prior fossil species of bats, most of the digits in the wing lack the claws typical of mammalian digits. That's not the case here: all Onychonycteris digits end in claws. The hind limbs are also unusually long, as is the tail, but the limb contains a feature that suggests the presence of a skin flap between the hind limbs and the body.
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2008/...ion-to-flight/

Asked for, and given.

The creationist response: move the goal posts. "but you can't find...."

Every single time a predicted transitional form is found that fills in yet another gap, this is what happens.

Dig into it.

Transitional forms predicted by evolution have been, and continue to be found.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/? le=List...tional_fossils

Modern taxonomy and phylogeny, fully support evolution, and provide clues and predictions of all manner of transitional forms.

One of the strongest ways in which the evidence for evolution becomes overwhelming is when you find a theory's predictions being borne out in multiple lines of evidence.

If one wants to read up on this aspect of how the study of genetics supports the predictions of evolution:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html

Not only does it tell you why something is true, it shows you how to determine for yourself, independently of what any scientist tells you.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets

Someday when I retire I will either build clean water/energy systems in Africa/South Asia or volunteer my financial expertise to a private space company.
    Lol.... That makes no damn Sense to Avante because his retirement revolves completely around this website! Lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    FIFY. If we are actually an entirely separate organism from apes, why are we as horny, violent, and tribal as them? Why is our anatomy so similar?
    All good questions.

Also good, and really supportive of evolution:

Why is one of our chromosomes fused?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2_(human)

Really hard to explain that away for Avante et al.

If "because it was designed that way" is the answer, then why would such a designer purposefully make it look like it was an evolutionary accident, perfectly explained by the theory of evolution?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Lol.... That makes no damn Sense to Avante because his retirement revolves completely around this website! Lol
    As all you do here is search Avante out.....why? Dude, why you sooooooooooooooooooooo damn worried about Avante, it's actually weird.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    we just say whatever we think will keep you here.

save the children and what not.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My time here involves being on hold and pointless conference calls. Current project has lots of both. I have become a connoisseur of hold music. I swear if I have to listen to one more vivaldi concerto... . Still better than the elevator music.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    As all you do here is search Avante out.....why? Dude, why you sooooooooooooooooooooo damn worried about Avante, it's actually weird.
    It's not very hard to find you so I certainly wouldn't call it "searching".....and trust me, it's far less weird than wasting your golden years on the Internet with the "super cool posting foursome club" you're in....LOL!!!!!

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2008/02/earliest-bat-fossil-reveals-transition-to-flight/[/URL]

Asked for, and given.

The creationist response: move the goal posts. "but you can't find...."

Every single time a predicted transitional form is found that fills in yet another gap, this is what happens.

Dig into it.

Transitional forms predicted by evolution have been, and continue to be found.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/? le=List...tional_fossils

Modern taxonomy and phylogeny, fully support evolution, and provide clues and predictions of all manner of transitional forms.

One of the strongest ways in which the evidence for evolution becomes overwhelming is when you find a theory's predictions being borne out in multiple lines of evidence.

If one wants to read up on this aspect of how the study of genetics supports the predictions of evolution:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html

Not only does it tell you why something is true, it shows you how to determine for yourself, independently of what any scientist tells you.
    You talk about critical thinking, right? Do you really think anyone has ever read all that crap, well? Nobody reads that and you don't know that? Where is all that critical thinking at, well?

Like I mentioned ya can't interact with others, all ya do is that , that's sad guy.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    You talk about critical thinking, right? Do you really think anyone has ever read all that crap, well? Nobody reads that and you don't know that? Where is all that critical thinking at, well?

Like I mentioned ya can't interact with others, all ya do is that , that's sad guy.
    Lol....bruh, when you post more than two sentences, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that maybe 5% of people on here read your drivel.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I know most people won't. Creationists, like you, are far too lazy to read it. My expectations of you are about as low as it is possible to get.

I however, like to argue this because it interests me. I read it. All.

Over the last 20 years I have read quite a bit, because debunking bull takes genuine understanding.

Being mentally weak on the other hand... is easy, as you so readily demonstrate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Occasionally, just occasionally, someone who is curious, and not lazy, take the time to read up.

That right there, is enough.

I get to learn things, and the satisfaction of cutting through the clutter every once in blue moon. Win/win from my point of view.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Lol....bruh, when you post more than two sentences, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that maybe 5% of people on here read your drivel.
    No one does.

Most of his posts, especially here are simply to keep the thread going, because it is some sad source of self-esteem.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See there it is right there, unless ya can preach all that silly crap of yours ya have no idea how to act.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That drivel that apparentlly has you spellbound? Dude, who do you talk to the most when you show up here..well?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bingo~~~~~~~~

You have no clue what to do, do ya?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    But noway some Superior being could exist, right?

A glob of goo can give us a 7 foot black man, a 4 foot Asain. an okie, a fat Mexican and an Eskimo, but no way in , we could have a Superior Being, right?
    Who created the superior being

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Who created the superior being
    Do you ever just answer a question? Let's try something totally unique and ground breaking, ok? Answer my question....BEFORE...asking one, you can do it little man, honest.

I can see why she dumped ya amigo.

Thread Information