Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Leonard has reached the NBA record for “Most salary collected while sitting on his a$$ while injured” yet. If not, he’s got to be close.
    Last 5 years he's averaged 35 games per year and made a 148 million
    Gordon hayward has to up there as well

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So KY still can’t Wipe His Ass - I know we still got some homers who were all about being on his help wipe his ass team

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's scoring average the past 3 playoffs he's played his has been elite, though. He played better than most of the best players are doing right now (I think it's something like 30.8. 28.4, 30.4ppg). He had the freak injury last playoffs when he was playing amazing and Clippers looking like a Championship team. We'll see how he goes when he comes back. All I am saying is, if he's washed up like people are saying and relying on savvy over athleticism right now, his numbers in the playoffs have still been amazing, and I'd take that so called washed up/relying on savvy game over most current players if he is healthy.

For example, take a look at Giannis is tonight's game. Although he was amazing, you can see he's still lacking some skills deep in the 4th quarter to get his own shot when he can't drive and bully his way to the rim (for the record, I like the attacking the rim style of play rather than settling for jumpers, but that's not always available). His three point shot isn't there and his midrange shot creating wasn't there deep in the 4th (props for hitting his free throws, though, as this is another area Kawhi excels at and Giannis sometimes struggles with). That's three areas Kawhi excels at over Giannis (3pt shooting, creating his own shot from the block when the lane isn't open, and free throw shooting are huge in close 4th quarter playoff games). Giannis is relying on his athleticism a lot more than Kawhi. having said that, Giannis will most likely still improve in those areas. Hopefully he even does so this very next game and the Bucks can win it.

Having said that, given those slight deficiencies, I'd still rate Giannis the better player if they're both healthy because he's also playing hard on the defensive end, whereas Kawhi has dropped off majorly on defense. Kawhi's best two way year was 2017 with the Spurs where he played insane defense and offense was also great. He never played that level of defense since the 2017 season/playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there’s an unspoken built in assumption from a lot of you that he will be the same player 19 months later., post ACL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick Rose made a fortune recovering from injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick Rose made a fortune recovering from injuries.
    Derrick Rose was 23 when he had his major injury. Kawhi was 29. NY made an incredibly dumb call to sign Rose to a 3 year deal last summer, but then again, I wasn’t talking about money, I was talking about return to a level of play. Derrick never really did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah KY was all ready not playing back to back before injury I can only imagine how many games he is going to miss every season due to him hurting

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah KY was all ready not playing back to back before injury I can only imagine how many games he is going to miss every season due to him hurting
    This thing is, that you guys are sort of missing is that when Kawhi does play, his level of play has still been great/elite. Derrick Rose was mentioned above, and that is a good comparison as Derrick's level of play was never the same. So even if Kawhi is missing/sitting out games, I don't think you can say he's washed until his actual level of play drops. He was dominating the last playoffs he was in at 30.4ppg and playing better by the game. Derrick Rose never got anywhere near that level of play after his injuries. Kawhi's been near the best player in the last three playoffs he's played in (at worst in the top 3 players of the whole playoffs IMO).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick Rose was 23 when he had his major injury. Kawhi was 29. NY made an incredibly dumb call to sign Rose to a 3 year deal last summer, but then again, I wasn’t talking about money, I was talking about return to a level of play. Derrick never really did.
    Derrick returned to still be a very good basketball player, but yeah he never really got close to his MVP peak and now is only good for like 30 games a season.

Not saying I'm hoping the same for Kawhi because I don't want to wish injury on anybody....but it would be karma doing its work and he can eat a bag of s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thing is, that you guys are sort of missing is that when Kawhi does play, his level of play has still been great/elite. Derrick Rose was mentioned above, and that is a good comparison as Derrick's level of play was never the same. So even if Kawhi is missing/sitting out games, I don't think you can say he's washed until his actual level of play drops. He was dominating the last playoffs he was in at 30.4ppg and playing better by the game. Derrick Rose never got anywhere near that level of play after his injuries. Kawhi's been near the best player in the last three playoffs he's played in (at worst in the top 3 players of the whole playoffs IMO).
    And right there is that assumption I was talking about, that the ACL will have no effect on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And right there is that assumption I was talking about, that the ACL will have no effect on him.
    Understood, but what I am saying is that we haven't seen him washed up yet. You can't make that claim until after we see how he responds, but I am going to say that if his body doesn't totally crap out, he'll come back pretty decently due to how hard of a worker he is. Knowing the way he worked during with his time with the Spurs, he wouldn't be taking any shortcuts in his rehab, so IMO there is a higher chance of him coming back at or close to his previous level.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KY is like Paul with the Suns great when he plays but when playoff start his body won’t hold up to the more physical and intense play. With his degenerate quad to go with his ACL tear he will never be the same player and will not be as good as he was last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a this guy ended up being. He had us all fooled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood, but what I am saying is that we haven't seen him washed up yet. You can't make that claim until after we see how he responds, but I am going to say that if his body doesn't totally crap out, he'll come back pretty decently due to how hard of a worker he is. Knowing the way he worked during with his time with the Spurs, he wouldn't be taking any shortcuts in his rehab, so IMO there is a higher chance of him coming back at or close to his previous level.
    I’m not even sure which ACL he tore. I’m not even sure if it matters. If it’s the same leg as his quad, he’ll barely get lift this year. If its the other one, he’ll no longer have a strong dominant leg to crutch on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not even sure which ACL he tore. I’m not even sure if it matters. If it’s the same leg as his quad, he’ll barely get lift this year. If its the other one, he’ll no longer have a strong dominant leg to crutch on.
    He's so crafty and his handles in traffic are elite. But if he doesn't have that explosiveness, then his threat potential offensively is diminished. And he's no longer the two-way player that terrorized PGs (and Demar). And that makes me happy, cause neph. Always.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KY is like Paul with the Suns great when he plays but when playoff start his body won’t hold up to the more physical and intense play. With his degenerate quad to go with his ACL tear he will never be the same player and will not be as good as he was last year.
    Kawhi is nothing like Chris Paul. For a start, as I mentioned before (this isn't directed to anyone in particular), I don't see that vegan diet working out too well for Chris Paul long-term. If you're coming from an average diet, it usually works for a year or two and then you crash down cause it's too devoid of nutrients (Tom Brady is pretty smart with his diet, but he also doesn't play the most demanding position in football, so I can't for sure say his diet is the whole reason for his longevity, but I think it is a huge part. Brady isn't also fully vegan. He still eats good quality meat and avoids plants that are high in lectins. Not sure if Chris Paul is/was doing the same in regard to the plants he eats).

Anyway, diet aside, when Kawhi plays in the playoffs, he dominates. He's been either the best player in the playoffs (2019), or top 3 (2020), or top 2 (2021) in the last three playoffs he's played in. I'd say he was playing better than Giannis up to the point he got hurt (his efficiency was off the charts in his last playoffs). It was a freak injury (was it due to overcompensation, I don't know), but we'll see how he comes back from it. He certainly wasn't washed up before that injury as his efficiency was off the hook during the playoffs until his injury. Until he doesn't perform when he comes back, can't say he's washed up yet is all I'm saying. Chris Paul usually gets injured, or worn down or whatever, and then just doesn't perform. It's not the same comparison IMO.
    Last edited by Ice009; 05-16-2022 at 01:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    31 next month, an entire year off. He gots 3-4 possible good years in him left at best if he can comeback from all of this. Im happy when he loses and hope he never wins another le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might make a good, albeit expensive 6th man.
    The way NBA owners waste money some one will pay it.

Think that is the only way he's going to last. I agree he could still contribute.
    But like the other will she zero tears if he flops and costs the Clippers more.
    To me the entire NBA landscape was changed when Zaza assaulted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, tough to say until he comes back and we see how he looks, and more importantly, if he can stay healthy this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, tough to say until he comes back and we see how he looks, and more importantly, if he can stay healthy this time.
    For some reason this reminded me of CP3. Kawhi is younger but I think because of his chronic injuries, he may be reaching that level where he can be fantastic for a series or two before it all comes crashing down with some injury or another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For some reason this reminded me of CP3. Kawhi is younger but I think because of his chronic injuries, he may be reaching that level where he can be fantastic for a series or two before it all comes crashing down with some injury or another.
    This is my take as well.

Nephew looked like a God until the 2nd half of games 6 & 7 against the Nuggets couple years back. Then all of a sudden his legs were ready for some load management at that point. Remember, he was also showing signs of wear and tear in the Finals against the Dubs the year before.

My prediction is that he'll load manage his way into the playoffs with good health. There he will initially ball out and look like the best player in the league in the first round. And then proceed to physically flame out in either conference semis/finals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my take as well.

Nephew looked like a God until the 2nd half of games 6 & 7 against the Nuggets couple years back. Then all of a sudden his legs were ready for some load management at that point. Remember, he was also showing signs of wear and tear in the Finals against the Dubs the year before.

My prediction is that he'll load manage his way into the playoffs with good health. There he will initially ball out and look like the best player in the league in the first round. And then proceed to physically flame out in either conference semis/finals.
    You have a good take on the Nuggets series as it appeared he slowed down a bit. However, last season he was playing amazing up until the injury. It didn't look like he was slowing down at all. It looked like he was going to have one of the most efficient playoffs in NBA history up until then. The looking tired thing could be due to load management. I've from the Tim Grover school, where I think you need the conditioning, and if you don't get it during the regular season, how do you expect to push through fatigue in the playoffs? You're not conditioned for it. I am guessing Kawhi doesn't think much of that approach and thinks resting is going to help him to play better down the stretch. i just wonder if he needs it because he physically can't perform, or if it's mental where he thinks he needs the rest. I don't believe in resting if you're physically able to go. For example, in a back to back, you can just play less minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably a good comparison.

Thread Information