Page 117 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3333
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks extending RJ Barrett, 4yrs/120mm.

Spurs would have offered him 4yrs 80mm I bet lol.
    They wouldn’t have offered him 80. His career VORP is -0.3. His career WS/48 is .046. He’s a 6’8” Lonnie, NBA junk food. Only an organization as dumb and disfunctional as the Knicks would pay this bum $30M/yr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks extending RJ Barrett, 4yrs/120mm.

Spurs would have offered him 4yrs 80mm I bet lol.
    "COULD be worth UP TO"... meaning that figure probably includes 10M+ in (uncertain) bonuses and the like.
    Still that's a boatload of money, and he'll have to get to at least borderline allstar caliber for that contract not to become a burden down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "COULD be worth UP TO"... meaning that figure probably includes 10M+ in (uncertain) bonuses and the like.
    Still that's a boatload of money, and he'll have to get to at least borderline allstar caliber for that contract not to become a burden down the road.
    Variable incentives haven’t been released. 10m + would be sizeable variable comp.

I agree with exstatic that it’s an overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the knicks just being the knicks

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    iirc this is the first time the Knicks have signed one of their own first-round draft picks to a second contract since Charlie Ward. Insane if true, and a testament to how ty the Knicks FO and ownership are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you can easily say Johnson is a better player than Barrett. If the Spurs had the choice of signing Johnson to his deal of RJ to his, it's not even close which one is the better value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    iirc this is the first time the Knicks have signed one of their own first-round draft picks to a second contract since Charlie Ward. Insane if true, and a testament to how ty the Knicks FO and ownership are.
    They should have passed on this one, too. It’s amazing how some of these players continue to surf off their HS rankings like 4 -5 years later.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson has been better and is certainly better value, but to be fair, with Fournier replacing Bullock, Barrett had to defend top opposing wings and given the lack of a credible lead ball handler, had more of an on ball role while playing significantly more minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does this kill Mitc to Knicks buzz? Read scuttlebut that he could be traded to Utah in a Mitc package, but that the cap rules make it really hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does this kill Mitc to Knicks buzz? Read scuttlebut that he could be traded to Utah in a Mitc package, but that the cap rules make it really hard.
    The consensus seems to be that an extension kills the Mitc deal. Cap gets real squirrelly with extensions that are signed, but not yet active.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn’t have offered him 80. His career VORP is -0.3. His career WS/48 is .046. He’s a 6’8” Lonnie, NBA junk food. Only an organization as dumb and disfunctional as the Knicks would pay this bum $30M/yr.
    Knick nation went crazy at the notion he'd be included in a potential trade for Mitc . So it's the fan base and front office as a whole.

I think he's got more to him than a taller version of LWIV, and he's clearly improved from his rookie year (which weigh down the WS48 numbers you cited above), but he most certainly is not worth $30M per. The Knicks deserve every bad thing that comes their way. Worst fans only behind Lakerfans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.
    Despite conflicting reports of the Jazz' supposed interested, my guess is they'd prefer a package without him. He means far more to the Knicks, who picked him 3rd and have invested 3 years into developing him, than he would to a team starting a full scale re-build.

Knick nation went crazy at the notion he'd be included in a potential trade for Mitc . So it's the fan base and front office as a whole.

I think he's got more to him than a taller version of LWIV, and he's clearly improved from his rookie year (which weigh down the WS48 numbers you cited above), but he most certainly is not worth $30M per. The Knicks deserve every bad thing that comes their way. Worst fans only behind Lakerfans.
    Keep in mind, rookie extensions are about projecting ahead both in terms of the player and the cap.

"Only" $106M (or $26.5M on average) is guaranteed. With the expected rise in the salary cap factored in, that's expected to be about 18% of it.
    Last edited by TD 21; 08-30-2022 at 10:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yak and J Rich. I hope they have backup trade deals loosely in place, because it seems like the super trades have mostly fizzled, though I suppose Utah is still trying to move Mitc . Also, GMs may all be on vacation at this time of the year. Anyway. Has anyone heard rumors?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ doubt it they get moved anytime soon.

- Jak: asking price is probably quite high. Personally I’d be very happy with a lightly protected first and an expiring in the name of the tank but it’s still not completely clear we are tanking versus rebuilding. Yak already communicated he will explore free agency but wants to be in SA. He is def inline for the typical “he’s a good boy/loyalty overpay” contract.

- JRich: not much of a market I suspect. Doubt anyone is offering a first currently unless it comes wuth a bad contract in return. If he gets solid minutes you can probably get his value to a first by the deadline because he is likely going to put up decent numbers on a very bad Spurs team. Or sit him and probably buy him out or hope for a Thad like deal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ doubt it they get moved anytime soon.

- Jak: asking price is probably quite high. Personally I’d be very happy with a lightly protected first and an expiring in the name of the tank but it’s still not completely clear we are tanking versus rebuilding. Yak already communicated he will explore free agency but wants to be in SA. He is def inline for the typical “he’s a good boy/loyalty overpay” contract.

- JRich: not much of a market I suspect. Doubt anyone is offering a first currently unless it comes wuth a bad contract in return. If he gets solid minutes you can probably get his value to a first by the deadline because he is likely going to put up decent numbers on a very bad Spurs team. Or sit him and probably buy him out or hope for a Thad like deal.
    JRich is a great candidate for a Thad Young type deal since the Spurs second round pick will be very high.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richardson is going on 29 (his birthday is the most important day of the year) and healthy. The notion that his value is going to be determined by how much he plays and counting stats makes no sense. NBA executives aren't casual fans.

A Young type trade would be better than two 2nds or whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richardson is going on 29 (his birthday is the most important day of the year) and healthy. The notion that his value is going to be determined by how much he plays and counting stats makes no sense. NBA executives aren't casual fans.

A Young type trade would be better than two 2nds or whatever.
    If there was a first on the table they would have taken it by now. A Thad deal is probably the best outcome but at this point late first in 2023 or future draft capital aren’t much different. We have enough young players in the pipeline.

Also, the use of casual is common speak for 13yr olds on Bleacher Report and Advanced Anal(ytics) boys like yourself. I suspect you are both.
    Last edited by KingKev; 08-31-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there was a first on the table they would have taken it by now.
    Not debating that. I'm saying, he's a known commodity. With no concern of an age related decline or a significant injury recovery to speak of, there's no reason to think whatever his value is now won't be the same come the deadline no matter his role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not debating that. I'm saying, he's a known commodity. With no concern of an age related decline or a significant injury recovery to speak of, there's no reason to think whatever his value is now won't be the same come the deadline no matter his role.
    If he becomes the second best option for half a season it will increase his value ala Marcus Morris in NYC a few years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there was a first on the table they would have taken it by now. A Thad deal is probably the best outcome but at this point late first in 2023 or future draft capital aren’t much different. We have enough young players in the pipeline.

Also, the use of casual is common speak for 13yr olds on Bleacher Report and Advanced Anal(ytics) boys like yourself. I suspect you are both.
    The market for JRich doesn’t exist yet. He’s a 29YO good locker room presence who defends, shoots the 3ball well, and can create a bit. Once the contenders pull away from the pack in January, his market will manifest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/statu...23985459421185
    RJ Barrett’s $107 million guaranteed

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent: so if McB AND Josh R are still on the team, despite our willingness for them to disappear, it seems unlikely they won’t play, so unfortunately that will cut into playing time for the young kids. Honestly, this, not simply losing, but losing while not playing our youth, might be the most frustrating part of next year.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 08-31-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our fan base is super spoiled by past success…….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent: so if McB AND Josh R are still on the team, despite our willingness for them to disappear, it seems unlikely they won’t play, so unfortunately that will cut into playing time for the young kids. Honestly, this, not simply losing, but losing while not playing our youth, might be the most frustrating part of next year.
    They shouldn't be cutting into any ready youth players. Primo/Vassall/Johnson/Sochan/Poeltl are the likely starters. Maybe Jones instead of Sochan might start, but I am doubtful on that. Jones/Branham/Johnson/Mcdermot/Smith would be the backup 5. I don't expect Pop will deploy a hockey on off subs ution, either. Richardson likely gets moved by the trade deadline. Depending on where Wesley is in his development. And I am not sure where Longford fits in all this. Same as Bates-Diop. Also you need to consider who the Spurs get back for McDermott or Richardson. It just won't be picks. It will be salary, perhaps bad salary depending on picks. Perhaps a headcase, or underwhelming veteran, or something in between. Then you will be asking the same questions? Are they taking up minutes from the youth?

Thread Information