Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California is the perfect example of what happens when you open up the borders and have laxed immigration policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California is the perfect example of what happens when you open up the borders and have laxed immigration policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cant speak for CA as a whole, but one of LA's biggest issues is the disproportionate amount of single family residences compared to apartment/condominium projects.
    this is a very good piece that i believe i have shared here before... https://la.curbed.com/2018/9/10/1782...ules-explained

Today, close to half of all developable land in the city is still set aside for single-family homes, not apartments or other forms of housing that could hold more people.

Just under two thirds of land in the city of Los Angeles is now zoned to allow residential construction, according to the Department of City Planning. Of that total, more than 75 percent is reserved for single-family homes or duplexes.

Other U.S. cities dedicate similarly large portions of land to single-family housing, but LA’s suburban-style streets stand in stark contrast to the density of big cities such as New York and Chicago.

Compounding the housing shortage is the legacy of plans for the city’s development made in the 1970s, when residents and local leaders sought to slow LA’s growth by limiting the amount of housing that developers could build.
    As Morrow points out, Los Angeles was zoned to hold up to 10 million residents in 1960. By 1990, the city had capacity for just 3.9 million residents.

Today, that number has increased slightly but so has LA’s population—the city is home to
    roughly 4 million people. As of 2010, it was zoned to hold just 4.3 million residents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, even building more single family residences would help in its own way, but if you could use the same amount of space to to house 3-4x the people, its the obvious answer. but yes, nimby types are an issue. i mean i get it if you are very well off and spend a lot of money to live in studio city, beverly hills, hollywood hills, or malibu... but not areas like the west valley

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what are the characteristics of your "example"

CA has almost $50B in agricultural production. How many non-Hispanics do you think are among CA's ag workers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cant speak for CA as a whole, but one of LA's biggest issues is the disproportionate amount of single family residences compared to apartment/condominium projects.
    SB50 is supposed to build a lot around rail lines and build apartment buildings etc. People complain about their skyline and view being ruined when an apartment complex is built but its really the only way to build a lot of dense housing. Also, its somewhat human nature if they built a huge amount housing around my house and created more vacancies and properties for sale my house value would subsequently go down. But we're liberals we are supposed to be trying to help out the poor out and not be selfish which is why the hypocrisy is so aggravating

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SB50 is supposed to build a lot around rail lines and build apartment buildings etc. People complain about their skyline and view being ruined when an apartment complex is built but its really the only way to build a lot of dense housing. Also, its somewhat human nature if they built a huge amount housing around my house and created more vacancies and properties for sale my house value would subsequently go down. But we're liberals we are supposed to be trying to help out the poor out and not be selfish which is why the hypocrisy is so aggravating
    yep

house prices are so astronomical in LA (i know there are some worse areas, but none with LA's population) that almost your entire financial story can be told by the value of your home. so many people in LA right now have just about all of their wealth because they bought homes 30 years ago that have quadrupled in value since then, so they're just sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-14-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coming from you, that's ironic.
    lolol

hollywood was never creative enough to imagine there would someday-

be a native american

who supported the white man - white supremacist - after the nazis had committed genocide against native americans

maybe hlwd can do it now - im sure joaquin phoenix could dress up and play the part

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lolol

hollywood was never creative enough to imagine there would someday-

be a native american

who supported the white man - white supremacist - after the nazis had committed genocide against native americans

maybe hlwd can do it now - im sure joaquin phoenix could dress up and play the part
    I'm part Hispanic. My Mexican descendants murdered more Natives, about 10x more in 1/5th the time than the whites murdered my American Native ancestors. I'm a ing quagmire and you must really, really hate me because I'm on both sides of the victim fence.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm part Hispanic. My Mexican descendants murdered more Natives, about 10x more in 1/5th the time than the whites murdered my American Native ancestors. I'm a ing quagmire and you must really, really hate me because I'm on both sides of the victim fence.
    i dont hate you for whatever label you claim to place on yourself

i do point out how stupid a person is for defending an evil nazi
    the only people i dont trip on- who defend the nazi-

are nazis- themselves- because that is who and what they are: pieces of rotten who support their hero

anyone- i mean anyone

who is NOT a nazi

and supports the nazi in chief- is just plain stupid and really unaware

if the shoe fits...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont hate you for whatever label you claim to place on yourself

i do point out how stupid a person is for defending an evil nazi
    the only people i dont trip on- who defend the nazi-

are nazis- themselves- because that is who and what they are: pieces of rotten who support their hero

anyone- i mean anyone

who is NOT a nazi

and supports the nazi in chief- is just plain stupid and really unaware

if the shoe fits...

Yeah...it's just easier to call you a ing re , you ing re .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah...it's just easier to call you a ing re , you ing re .
    does not change the facts;

you defend the nazi

i dont

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    California has actually been running a budget surplus and the new tax bill Trump passed takes some of Cali's income and redistributes that money to red states and makes them California's welfare babies actually.

California's real problem is all the NIMBY liberal suckers who won't allow anyone to build any ing housing. How hard is it to just build more ing houses.
    Exactly this, I’m assuming there’s an environmental agenda behind it but I don’t fully understand all of CAs regulations about new construction other than its local government regulations getting out of control. The homeless problem in CA is largely due to people who were working their ass off but at some point just couldn’t pay for a place to live anymore.

As you said it’s not even a question of affordable vs unaffordable housing, they just need any kind of ing housing at this point. Even setting that aside there would be plenty of opportunity to build afford housing with LIHTCs or another program but California is so unfriendly to new development that no one wants to touch it.

Burlington Vermont is the same way too btw, housing costs in Burlington are out of control because of complex regulations around building new apartments.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The way the homeless problem in CA is getting handled clearly isn’t working either. San Francisco spends more more on helping them homeless than any other city does on a per homeless capita basis yet theyve got one of the worst homeless problems in the country. Something there doesn’t jibe. Iirc SF even announced recently that they won’t prosecute vagrants for stuff like taking a out in the middle of the street because doing otherwise would be criminalizing homeslessness . Liberalism gone completely wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how would a bunch of uneducated dirt poor native Americans integrate with the rest of the state?
    I mean the reservation itself could be abolished and let the state gov run schools and other stuff. I don’t really know how reservations work, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California. The Democrats are in the midst of lower and middle class genocide. They brag about the riches of the state and then beg for money to help the people they wont help with any of the $10s of billions they've generated in the tax revenues that they have yet to announce any major plans for.
    meh... yeah, it's expensive, but so is living in New York or any of the truly major economic hubs, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How have you not been following the SB50 debates and battles?

There is also an excess of taxes and costs and other they do in Cali to where in some cases it cost like $80k to even break ground in some cases. If you want to hit Dems in California their policies which make housing prices exorbitant and preventing building of new houses is the ticket. Especially bashing these hypocrite head liberal NIMBY neighborhood orgs is the way to go
    yup, housing is the first place to start.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did you pick up this talking point?
    Its called reading other news sources like Bloomberg,Financial Times,WSJ etc
    As evidenced by other posters in this thread who read as well.Zoning restrictions are a huge impediment to housing in big cities that just happen to almost exclusively be run by Democrats
    Teachers unions like TIAA have over a trillion dollars invested in the market in the USA and abroad because they need to fund the over generous pensions they give out.

The market is the biggest driver of wealth inequality there is
    And state/govt employee unions are some of the largest investors hence any Democrats claims to reignn in Wall Street aren't politically feasible their union base is too strong

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its called reading other news sources like Bloomberg,Financial Times,WSJ etc
    As evidenced by other posters in this thread who read as well.Zoning restrictions are a huge impediment to housing in big cities that just happen to almost exclusively be run by Democrats
    Teachers unions like TIAA have over a trillion dollars invested in the market in the USA and abroad because they need to fund the over generous pensions they give out.

The market is the biggest driver of wealth inequality there is
    And state/govt employee unions are some of the largest investors hence any Democrats claims to reignn in Wall Street aren't politically feasible their union base is too strong
    You still haven't said where you got this talking point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    municipal politicians, regulators, tax assessors, zoning operations are bought by the real estate industry

that CA's zoning problems are caused by lefty pension funds is bull .

and raising rents has nothing to do with govt, but strictly Capitalists charging what the market (can just barely) bear.

p/e, having stolen 4M homes in 2009, is buying up homes to hold them empty to flip when the price rising, forcing people into apts where they get screwed by the Capitalists owning the apts.

Capitalists are usurious gatekeepers to the necessities of life: health care, housing, water, electricity, while they poison the air, land, water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SA has a homeless, ting on the streets problem too. ers use my fence downtown as a ter...multiple greasy s splattered and running down the wall...stinks like a mother er. Went out to my truck yesterday and one of them was jacking off right there in public under the I35 bridge 30 feet from my truck. Drugged out ers just lay around like turtles sleeping all day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash and Repugs are working to make the dead zones, are almost ALL red, even more deaderer

rural and small town hospitals, clinics are closing

USPS offices, esp rural ones, and USPS in general have been a Repug target for decades.

Trash's tariffs have bankrupted 1000s of small farmers

Urbanization has been going on for 100+ years, and there's no stopping it.

Cities/suburbs are where the jobs, money, services are.

Trash's Exec is allowing BigNetwork to abandon underserved areas, while Internet (access to info) has become a necessity of life.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-15-2020 at 08:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the homeless problem in CA is getting handled clearly isn’t working either. San Francisco spends more more on helping them homeless than any other city does on a per homeless capita basis yet theyve got one of the worst homeless problems in the country. Something there doesn’t jibe. Iirc SF even announced recently that they won’t prosecute vagrants for stuff like taking a out in the middle of the street because doing otherwise would be criminalizing homeslessness . Liberalism gone completely wrong.
    This SB50 seems like a really good bill so I'm following it as Cali is a good test case for a liberal state. but a lot of the backlash to it is from local people muh 45 foot building ruining my view and some hypocrites who go local to town meetings and complain about the affordable housing being built nearby as it will "bring in the wrong element" then probably drive home in a Prius with a coexist bumper sticker
    Last edited by AaronY; 01-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The Mexicans dominate certain areas that tend to be middle-lower class. So out of sight out of mind. The homeless/mentally ill populate Downtown and beach areas. There is no avoiding them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still haven't said where you got this talking point.
    TBB is widely read.

Thread Information