Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White provides brains and decision making. A feel for winning basketball.
    He makes his team mates better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White provides brains and decision making. A feel for winning basketball.
    He makes his team mates better.
    There's no denying he doesn't. I love Derrick. He's the only guy on the team I have a jersey of.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers area significantly better team than the spurs so of course they won this game and outside of something crazy happening will win the next

Pop is killing Poeltl with these quck hooks when he gets 2 fouls. He was playing well, just let him play. Every single game that Ewbanks plays have the game will be a loss for us, he's terrible...

Is Luka still sick with food poisoning ? Pretty alarming he has not seen any real minutes yet...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ being and possibly becoming a consistent offensive force was the big positive for me coming out of today’s game. This will not only open up further opportunities for his game going forward but for others too.

If we are contending for a le, maybe then a 36 year old Aldridge might be a benefit situationally to such a challenge; but we are still some ways away.

This game wasn’t lost on the offensive end of the court and LMA is not helping our defence one iota.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers area significantly better team than the spurs so of course they won this game and outside of something crazy happening will win the next

Pop is killing Poeltl with these quck hooks when he gets 2 fouls. He was playing well, just let him play. Every single game that Ewbanks plays have the game will be a loss for us, he's terrible...

Is Luka still sick with food poisoning ? Pretty alarming he has not seen any real minutes yet...
    Agreed. Lakers are just a bad match up. Having to play them 3 times in a week is also terrible scheduling. Most likely that's 3 losses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be over simplifying things here, but the Spurs were getting good looks but just not hitting their shots. Perfect example was when Lonnie got wide open to the basket and bonked it off the bottom of the rim. The game would have been much more compe ive if they had hit the shots they normally make.

In the meantime, Wesley Matthews goes 6/6 after he had shot 0/8 from deep in his first four games.

It's hard to beat any team when they shoot 55% from deep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge turns 36 this year. I've generally supported the guy while he's been in San Antonio, but what's the game plan now? He's not going to be a part of a future championship core with the young guys, so what's the point of worrrying about how he fits or how the Spurs need to utilize/showcase him? I just don't get this line of thinking. He was a very good major free agent signing, he was an integral part of a 67 win season, he might have been part of the Spurs winning a ring in '17 if Kawhi hadn't gotten hurt against the Warriors.... he's provided some some good memories... but it's time to move on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=PhantomDashCam;10385463]DJ being and possibly becoming a consistent offensive force was the big positive for me coming out of today’s game. This will not only open up further opportunities for his game going forward but for others too.

This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge turns 36 this year. I've generally supported the guy while he's been in San Antonio, but what's the game plan now? He's not going to be a part of a future championship core with the young guys, so what's the point of worrrying about how he fits or how the Spurs need to utilize/showcase him? I just don't get this line of thinking. He was a very good major free agent signing, he was an integral part of a 67 win season, he might have been part of the Spurs winning a ring in '17 if Kawhi hadn't gotten hurt against the Warriors.... he's provided some some good memories... but it's time to move on.
    Same, and I say that as a Longhorn fan who was super hype about the Aldridge signing. He's definitely showing signs of aging and that probably isn't going to get any better.

He could draw interest from teams looking to add a bigman for a playoff run...but he needs to stop playing like that old guy at the Y if the Spurs are going to get any reasonable return. Otherwise, I think you let him walk and take the cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks but Laker ref love resulting in Poeltl being on the bench constantly and Matthews randomly going 6-6 from three was the game right there. Spurs hung tough given the situation, all we can ask for against the champs tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks but Laker ref love resulting in Poeltl being on the bench constantly and Matthews randomly going 6-6 from three was the game right there. Spurs hung tough given the situation, all we can ask for against the champs tbh
    Hard to blame the refs for the distribution of minutes... Poeltl played 24 minutes and had 3 fouls. Eubanks played 24 minutes and finished with 5 fouls. In the absence of Aldridge, the Spurs gave their 3rd string center too much time against the defending champs and he predictably finished with the worst +/- on either team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked that they hung in there when they could’ve gotten blown out. Too many missed lay ups and bad turnovers when we would be on a run.

the Lakers also hit some tough 3 pointers and early got tons of fouls called in their favor. I hate that we have to play the Los Angeles teams damn near in a row this early in the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, I'm speechless how anyone can have anything negative to say about Dejounte's performance last night. You have to lean HEAVILY one way to come up with a skewed perception of how his night went. Is this how far you'll take it when a player is slowly proving you were wrong about him?
    Chinook
    You think Murray is "proving me wrong" because you believed I thought something different about him than I did. My advocacy for trading DJM isn't because I think he's a bad player or incapable of performing. It's about the way he plays and how that's going to fit with the young players as they try to form a winning roster. He didn't play differently last night. I'd even suggest that last night was as bad as it's ever been. The difference is that he had good results. That's better than doing it and having terrible results, but it's not better than actually working in the flow of an offense.

Murray's problem has basically always been that he wants to be a star when he's a role-player. Last night, he basically did a star impression. If he did that night-in, night-out, he'd probably be a star. But the offense as a whole suffered for it. That's why I brought up the decline in assists after the first quarter. At their peak (the 2014 Finals), the Spurs had a AST:FG of .65. That's the standard they're trying to hit. So going 14:29 in the last three quarters isn't good enough. Five of Murray's 12 makes were assisted. After the first quarter, it was only three of 10. That's not a perfect representation of how much DJM called his own number because misses or FTs could've been potential assists, but the trend of the offense breaking down and of Murray going off aren't unrelated.

And again, it wasn't like he CAUSED the offense to fall apart, at least not on his own. DMDR also went from having two assisted buckets in the first quarter to only one assisted versus four unassisted for the rest of game. It wasn't like as soon as DJM left the offense came back or whatever. But all of the criticisms folks had for DeRozan, Aldridge and even Parker offensively apply here, only both the floors and ceilings for those players were higher. DJM is probably not a consistent 20ppg scorer. He started off the season last year on a tear and then fell off. That's not his game, and it's not a matter of the number of touches he gets; it's how he gets them. Offensive systems exist to get players the right amount of shots in areas they excel in. Breaking down that offense might feel "freeing" or whatever, but the ecosystem that allows role-players to flourish and balances out the worse impulses of the stars gets damaged.

I agree with Dex that the Spurs missed a ton of makeable shots. But it wasn't like LAL gave the Spurs their best punch and SA took it. They were fighting a talent disadvantage and a match-up disadvantage. They need scheme and cohesion to overcome that. They lost that after the first quarter last night, and Murray making the shots he took doesn't change that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree on the quick hook if you have Aldridge and Eubanks dressing. But when Aldridge is out, you cannot risk Poeltl getting a third / fourth early. You don’t want to have to play Eubanks for an entire quarter.

Luka might as well not exist. Bad that a guy picked behind him last year and a guy picked this year are firmly in the rotation and he’s nowhere to be found. Many of us hated the pick then, and it looks like a miss. I want to eat crow. Just don’t see it happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, no. James didn't feel Johnson at all. Siakam and Williamson I thought were played well by Johnson. James, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no denying he doesn't. I love Derrick. He's the only guy on the team I have a jersey of.
    I’m sure you’ll be buying Walker IV, Johnson, Murray soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any comparison to Kawhi at that time? Keldon is really becoming Spurs ball stopper. I think he is better than Kawhi on their 2nd year especially on offense. And with Aldridge slowing down, he has to pickup the rebounding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Murray is "proving me wrong" because you believed I thought something different about him than I did. My advocacy for trading DJM isn't because I think he's a bad player or incapable of performing. It's about the way he plays and how that's going to fit with the young players as they try to form a winning roster. He didn't play differently last night. I'd even suggest that last night was as bad as it's ever been. The difference is that he had good results. That's better than doing it and having terrible results, but it's not better than actually working in the flow of an offense.

Murray's problem has basically always been that he wants to be a star when he's a role-player. Last night, he basically did a star impression. If he did that night-in, night-out, he'd probably be a star. But the offense as a whole suffered for it. That's why I brought up the decline in assists after the first quarter. At their peak (the 2014 Finals), the Spurs had a AST:FG of .65. That's the standard they're trying to hit. So going 14:29 in the last three quarters isn't good enough. Five of Murray's 12 makes were assisted. After the first quarter, it was only three of 10. That's not a perfect representation of how much DJM called his own number because misses or FTs could've been potential assists, but the trend of the offense breaking down and of Murray going off aren't unrelated.

And again, it wasn't like he CAUSED the offense to fall apart, at least not on his own. DMDR also went from having two assisted buckets in the first quarter to only one assisted versus four unassisted for the rest of game. It wasn't like as soon as DJM left the offense came back or whatever. But all of the criticisms folks had for DeRozan, Aldridge and even Parker offensively apply here, only both the floors and ceilings for those players were higher. DJM is probably not a consistent 20ppg scorer. He started off the season last year on a tear and then fell off. That's not his game, and it's not a matter of the number of touches he gets; it's how he gets them. Offensive systems exist to get players the right amount of shots in areas they excel in. Breaking down that offense might feel "freeing" or whatever, but the ecosystem that allows role-players to flourish and balances out the worse impulses of the stars gets damaged.

I agree with Dex that the Spurs missed a ton of makeable shots. But it wasn't like LAL gave the Spurs their best punch and SA took it. They were fighting a talent disadvantage and a match-up disadvantage. They need scheme and cohesion to overcome that. They lost that after the first quarter last night, and Murray making the shots he took doesn't change that.
    Chinook is right. If we are going to win, irs from playing the beautiful game, not hero ball. Individuals may end up with a great start line playing hero ball (ala Westbrook), but how many les do hero ball players have? Westbrook? 0.

Great start line, but either get in line with what we are trying to do, or be trade bait for draft considerations next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook is right. If we are going to win, irs from playing the beautiful game, not hero ball. Individuals may end up with a great start line playing hero ball (ala Westbrook), but how many les do hero ball players have? Westbrook? 0.

Great start line, but either get in line with what we are trying to do, or be trade bait for draft considerations next year.
    who said? Spurs had three years of this type of game and won only once, to believe that it is replicable is just faith, to believe that it is replicable with current human material is just delusional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who said? Spurs had three years of this type of game and won only once, to believe that it is replicable is just faith, to believe that it is replicable with current human material is just delusional.
    Eh, I mean, they barely lost in the Finals and made the WCF in those other years, neither of which were the apotheosis of the style. Regardless, the reason why it's the best path for the team is the lack of star power. They have to be more than the sum of their parts, and they can't do that if they're iso-heavy. The hive-mind fugue the team got in may not be replicable. But the culture of looking for the better shot is not something that you need to be ubertalented to pull off. The team did a really good job in the first quarter -- particularly before Poeltl went out. That needs to be the goal, not having success taking turns dominating the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I mean, they barely lost in the Finals and made the WCF in those other years, neither of which were the apotheosis of the style. Regardless, the reason why it's the best path for the team is the lack of star power. They have to be more than the sum of their parts, and they can't do that if they're iso-heavy. The hive-mind fugue the team got in may not be replicable. But the culture of looking for the better shot is not something that you need to be ubertalented to pull off. The team did a really good job in the first quarter -- particularly before Poeltl went out. That needs to be the goal, not having success taking turns dominating the ball.
    agree although the goal of the front office should be to get the real stars (real impact) in some way.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Chinook to a degree, but I think it is a good thing that Dejounte is playing his game better. Honestly, I didn’t think he had the skill to be doing as well as he is at finishing and shooting. To me that’s an objective positive, but in the context of this team I see how it can lead to challenges. But if White controls the ball more, then Dejounte’s improved offense can be a good thing.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Otherwise, I thought it was a weird game with the Lakers shooting the lights out. The Spurs did not quit and I took that as a positive, especially for a young team. If anything, I liked last nights game in the big picture because I think the players will learn from it. The young players that is, especially IV and Keldon.

Thread Information