My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Jersey man pleads guilty to $400K GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran

CAMDEN, N.J. — Four years ago, a GoFundMe campaign captured the hearts of Americans when a couple sought public donations after claiming a homeless veteran used his last $20 to buy gas for them after their car ran out of fuel in Philadelphia.

Local and national media publicized the campaign, which surged past its initial goal of $10,000 to raise more than $400,000 from 14,000 donors in less than a month.

But none of it was true — the story was fabricated by the couple, Katelyn McClure and Mark D’Amico, the federal prosecutor's office said in a statement Monday.

"D’Amico and McClure conspired to create the false story to obtain money from donors," it said.

On Monday, D’Amico, 42, formerly of Florence, New Jersey, was the last of three conspirators to plead guilty to a federal charge in connection with the scam, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for New Jersey.

Authorities alleged D'Amico and his then-girlfriend, McClure, sought donations from the public after concocting the story. Their "Paying It Forward" appeal claimed contributions would help the good Samaritan, Johnny Babbitt Jr., to find a home and turn his life around.

Instead, the couple spent most of the cash on personal expenses over the next three months, "including significant amounts by D’Amico for gambling, as well as for vacations, a BMW automobile, clothing, handbags and other personal items and expenses," the federal prosecutor's office said.

Bobbitt, who learned of the campaign after it began, received $25,000 from the donations, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.

The scheme fell apart when an attorney sued on Bobbitt's behalf in August 2018, claiming the homeless man was owed nearly $200,000 in GoFundMe donations.

D'Amico on Monday admitted guilt in federal court to conspiring to commit wire fraud. McClure pleaded guilty to the same crime in March, while Bobbitt admitted to conspiring to commit money laundering.

D'Amico, McClure and Bobbitt have admitted guilt to other charges in state court. D'Amico pleaded guilty in December 2019 to a state charge of misapplication of entrusted property.

McClure admitted guilt in April 2019 to a charge of theft by deception in exchange for a recommended sentence of four years in prison, according to the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office.

She and D'Amico await sentencing on the state charges.

Bobbitt pleaded guilty in March 2019 to conspiring to commit theft. He was admitted to the drug court program, which offers in-patient treatment for addiction.

All three await sentencing on the federal charges.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...re/8743642002/

---

lmao, I remember this story. Good to know they all got caught.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chick and homeless guy pleaded guilty a long time ago and seem genuinely remorseful.
    Ringleader dude D'Amico was gonna try to ride it out and plead not guilty up until recently. Once he found out those two were testifying againt him he turnt, no doubt on his defense liarwyers advice.

Wonder if homeless guy has gotten rehab? Also have D'Aminco and her done a day behind bars or out on bail the whole time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legit building of houses for homeless if anyone wants to contribute:

The Tiny House Project

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if homeless guy has gotten rehab?
    Didn't make it through your own link, eh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't make it through your own link, eh?
    I didn't post a link.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Really have no sympathy for people who donate to these BS GoFundMe campaigns.

If someone is smart enough to create a grift and make money off of it, have at it. There's no consumer fraud since the people who give to GoFundMe aren't expecting any product or return on their contribution.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't post a link.
    Sorry.

Didn't make it through the OP, eh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If someone is smart enough to create a grift and make money off of it, have at it. There's no consumer fraud since the people who give to GoFundMe aren't expecting any product or return on their contribution.
    Pathetic response and incorrect.
    Givers most def do have the right to know their contribution made it to it's intended source.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This stuff is a bit more regulated than PACs or churches, tbh... (both of which have some cons utional protections on the grift due to free/religious speech).

Their greed ed them over. They should've split donations in equal parts, but instead they ed over the homeless guy. Sloppy criminals, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-400...205742611.html

Federal

Mark D'Amico, described as the group's ringleader, pleaded guilty to federal charges and was sentenced in April to 27 months in prison. He was also ordered to make res ution and is scheduled for sentencing on separate state charges next month.

Katelyn McClure 1 year. Was also ordered to make res ution and serve three years' supervised release. The 32-year-old Bordentown, New Jersey resident is scheduled to be sentenced on state charges next month and could receive more prison time.

State
    Johnny Bobbitt Jr. homeless person five years’ probation, Fed later this year. Faked giving McClure $20 when she ran out of gas on a Philadelphia highway in 2017.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She should be homeless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This stuff is a bit more regulated than PACs or churches, tbh... (both of which have some cons utional protections on the grift due to free/religious speech).

Their greed ed them over. They should've split donations in equal parts, but instead they ed over the homeless guy. Sloppy criminals, tbh
    Wonder if she can get a job working for Trumps Grifting, LLC.
    Since she'll be out sooner and is reasoanbly good looking in the eyes of Trump.

Thread Information