My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Altuve has to be considered the leader, at least by a little ways right? If Houston makes the Wildcard I think he gets it.

Ranger are you voting for Desmond?
    Trout will be 2nd again I fear. The Angels suck ass team is costing him stats.
    Bostons 3 guys rob votes from each other.
    Donaldson should get some looks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one on Rangers but homer pick would be Beltre

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense (or lack of) must be included in this selection.
    https://youtu.be/6Q2AKXogQVQ

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    If you take defense into consideration, that doesn't help Trout's case. Over the past several years, he's proven to be right around an average defensive outfielder by most defensive metrics. He's still fast. He still covers a lot of ground. He still occasionally makes a spectacular play. But he's not an elite defensive outfielder. In fact, the year he won his MVP, he had a negative defensive WAR.

For me, it's:

1. Jose Altuve
    2. Josh Donaldson
    3. Mookie Betts / Manny Machado

I think it's Altuve's to lose at this point. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but last time I looked up his stats, Josh Donaldson was having a better statistical season with his slash line than last year when he won it. It's tough to say Betts or Machado are really in the race even though they've both been great because of all the other great hitters around them in their line-up and the fact that both get their offensive numbers inflated to some degree because of their home ballpark and the division in which they play in having 4 total extremely hitter friendly ballparks. But I think they at least deserve mention for how good each of them have been.

Trout probably ends up top 3, but I don't put him there simply because the Angels are like 10 games below .500. The stats have to mean something. They have to help the team win. If a player is putting up great stats and the team is bad then there's a lot less pressure on that player to perform. I want to know that the great stats were meaningful. If the Angels were in position to make the playoffs, I put him right there 1A and 1B with Altuve. Because they're not, I don't put him in my top 3.

Ortiz probably ends up top 5 as well, maybe higher, but I don't put him in my top 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's tough to say Betts or Machado are really in the race even though they've both been great because of all the other great hitters around them in their line-up and the fact that both get their offensive numbers inflated to some degree because of their home ballpark and the division in which they play in having 4 total extremely hitter friendly ballparks. But I think they at least deserve mention for how good each of them have been.

Trout probably ends up top 3, but I don't put him there simply because the Angels are like 10 games below .500. The stats have to mean something. They have to help the team win. If a player is putting up great stats and the team is bad then there's a lot less pressure on that player to perform. I want to know that the great stats were meaningful. If the Angels were in position to make the playoffs, I put him right there 1A and 1B with Altuve. Because they're not, I don't put him in my top 3.
    Having better hitters around you (or not) certainly does affect stats. That Trout will get 100 runs scored again on this crap Angles team is fantastic. I've watched him die at 2nd or 3rb base with less then two out far too many times this season. 100 rbi is gonna be a stretch unless he catches fire. I see it as much easier to perform (and stat pad) when ones team is winning big.

Ortiz I just can't give a DH a high MVP vote unless their stats are thru the roof.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I would still go with Trout, but the media is autistic when it comes to MVP voting. Team performance should NOT matter. It's not Trout's fault he's the best player on planet earth surrounded by AAA talent.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Team performance absolutely matters. The award isn't the "best player" award. It has to do with value. There is little to no value performing well for a team. The pressure of at-bats and outs is exponentially less. Low leverage situations galore. Performing for a playoff contending team at least suggests that your contributions mean something as it relates to helping your team win games. Trout may very well still be the best player in baseball. I wouldn't argue against that. I would absolutely argue that he deserves the MVP. His production doesn't matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My homer pick playing like a MVP Beltre has been lights out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Rangers finish with the best record in the AL and Beltre keeps it up, I could see him winning.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not holding my breath, but Trouty Trout has been on a nice steak latey while Altuve has slipped a bit plus 'Strohs may well miss playoffs.
    1st on base .438
    3rd runs 103

Donaldson too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point Beltre needs to be considered too. Literally every time the Rangers have a man in scoring position, need a clutch hit, or need a stop, he's there. Obviously he won't win it but he should be top 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point Beltre needs to be considered too. Literally every time the Rangers have a man in scoring position, need a clutch hit, or need a stop, he's there. Obviously he won't win it but he should be top 3.
    I think going into today he had scored a run in 11 straight games. Dude has been going HAM since the break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for Beltres clutchness, imo Robert Horry should be in the HOF.

That having been said, Beltres suck ass months of May and July* of 260 batting ave and meh OBP and good but not MVP great power stats those months....
    **Whatever two months it was

Awards gotta be for the entire years worth of work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Altuve has been in a bit of a slump the last couple weeks, plus Houston is out of it.

If Trouty Trout reaches the following goals, I will be a happy camper.
    ( ) = currently

Ave .320 (318)
    On base % .430 (.435 which is smoking good, leads by 25 points)
    HRs 30 (27)
    RBI 100 (90) gonna be tough with weak batting on team.
    Runs 100 (Already reached 111)
    Stolen Bases 30 (26)

You guys got to admit if he hits these, any other MLB player not named Trout does this and they are automatic MVP.
    No? Fine you tell me what other player ever put up those kind of stats and did not win the MVP.
    The fact that Trout has done it every one of his MLB years just sets the bar way high for him. Another 2nd place coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mookie Betts has got to be in this conversation too.
    Super consistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be a close vote.

Fat sports writer over emphasizes playoffs and it's looking like Toronto may well be outplayed for the Wildcard spot. They will penalize Donaldson for this. Ditto Altuve.

RangerFan are you still thinking Beltre should get it?

I know sentimental stats should not be the deciding vote, but if Trouty Trout ends up chasing down the 30/30 Club again........to go with his Runs, On Base % and 100 RBIs. It will be one of the best statistical seasons ever for a non winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Altuve has been in a bit of a slump the last couple weeks, plus Houston is out of it.

If Trouty Trout reaches the following goals, I will be a happy camper.
    ( ) = currently

Ave .320 (.315 went a little backwords)
    On base % .430 (.441 excellent, 2nd place is 36 points behind at .404)
    HRs 30 (damn 29)
    RBI 100 (100 got it)
    Runs 100 (AL best 123)
    Stolen Bases 30 (30)

You guys got to admit if he hits these, any other MLB player not named Trout does this and they are automatic MVP.
    No? Fine you tell me what other player ever put up those kind of stats and did not win the MVP.
    The fact that Trout has done it every one of his MLB years just sets the bar way high for him. Another 2nd place coming.

Thread Information