Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    A Kobe Lakers team has never won a championship when Kobe was the player with the highest Win Share rating, all those rings had either Shaq or Pau performing at a higher level.
    The more he excels in his individual stats the more he hurts his team, which is well do ented, but he clearly doesn't give a , which is also well do ented.
    2001 Playoffs
    WS leader - Kobe-3.8

2009 Playoffs
    WS leader - Kobe-4.7

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Here's a stat, Deuce.... 9-14

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Here's a stat, Deuce.... 9-14
    And?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2001 Playoffs
    WS leader - Kobe-3.8

2009 Playoffs
    WS leader - Kobe-4.7
    my bad, I meant WS/48

but still my bad, they did win 1 year when kobe had the highest WS/48

lakers still suck though
    Last edited by gee; 12-14-2012 at 05:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers have reasons to be extremely worried because Kobe averages 29.4 ppg - and increasing. However, they are gonna have a nice lottery pick. The last time that happened, the Lakers picked Bynum, while Kobe still sells out the Staples and moves merchandise like there is no tomorrow tbh.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    However, they are gonna have a nice lottery pick.
    Which will then promptly be given to the Suns

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with stretch. Chucking is not Kobe's crime. Kobe's shooting percentages are at career highs at the moment. And unlike last spring when he was pissing away wins by chasing a scoring le during games where Gasol and/or Bynum were shooting 50%+, the Lakers "all star frontcourt" is on paper only for now. Gasol's been inconsistent ever since Phil left even when he's healthy, and I'll be generous and say the jury's still out on Howard and how he fits with this team and system. The turnover difference does jump out. I'm curious to see what happens to that number in both wins and losses once Nash gets back.

There's plenty of criticism for everyone on that team, including #8. He's defending poorly (and he's fouling a much higher rate this year as well). And anyone that is really supposed to be the closest thing to Jordan's heir should be able to rally a locker room to give a quality effort regardless of who is coaching or how much talent is there. For now, offense if probably the one part of the game where he's actually doing this team any favors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody seemed to be stating the obvious, and that the Lakers struggles are centered around their defense, not offense.

The issue with their defense is that nobody knows what they are doing and their role in it. To top it off, there are huge trust issues within the team. Part of it is due to egos (All the players share this blame), part of it is due to unfamiliarity (bad coaching and low bball IQ in the team), but part of the issue is also because the dogs are not getting fed on offense.

Gasol has been starved on offense despite being one of the more efficient ball players in the league the last few years. He gets chewed out for shooting, he gets chewed out for not shooting, he didn't get any recognition or appreciation for being a major part of the Lakers to two championships. It is natural for him to say enough is enough, and just quit on the team, because eventually, you are just not going to take it anymore.

Dwight as been the alpha dog his entire career, he gets fed down low for points, he is not getting that now. Even how petulant and childish he is as a person, doesn't surprise me a bit that he is quitting on the team already.

Nash just wants to have fun, so it doesn't really matter to him.

At the end of this, the team is struggling because there is no cohesion within the team, and there is no accountability from the "leader" whatsoever. "The team wins, it's because of me, the team loses, it's because of you" at ude just doesn't cut it, and without Phil Jackson to massage the ego, or Kobe to suppress his sociopathic ways, the Lakers will have a hard time righting the ship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody seemed to be stating the obvious, and that the Lakers struggles are centered around their defense, not offense.

The issue with their defense is that nobody knows what they are doing and their role in it. To top it off, there are huge trust issues within the team. Part of it is due to egos (All the players share this blame), part of it is due to unfamiliarity (bad coaching and low bball IQ in the team), but part of the issue is also because the dogs are not getting fed on offense.

Gasol has been starved on offense despite being one of the more efficient ball players in the league the last few years. He gets chewed out for shooting, he gets chewed out for not shooting, he didn't get any recognition or appreciation for being a major part of the Lakers to two championships. It is natural for him to say enough is enough, and just quit on the team, because eventually, you are just not going to take it anymore.

Dwight as been the alpha dog his entire career, he gets fed down low for points, he is not getting that now. Even how petulant and childish he is as a person, doesn't surprise me a bit that he is quitting on the team already.

Nash just wants to have fun, so it doesn't really matter to him.

At the end of this, the team is struggling because there is no cohesion within the team, and there is no accountability from the "leader" whatsoever. "The team wins, it's because of me, the team loses, it's because of you" at ude just doesn't cut it, and without Phil Jackson to massage the ego, or Kobe to suppress his sociopathic ways, the Lakers will have a hard time righting the ship.
    they suffer the most off tournovers, who do you think tourns the ball over the most?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2-11(6 points win over Wizards)
    Scored 30 points(9-29 from the field)

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    my bad, I meant WS/48but still my bad, they did win 1 year when kobe had the highest WS/48lakers still suck though
    05 Playoffs-WS/48
    Manu-.260
    Horry-.199
    Duncan-.191

95 Playoffs-WS/48
    Drexler-.167
    Hakeem-.143
    Horry-.142

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That stats shows Kobe's overrated. That's why he has only one two finals MVP's and only one MVP.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That stats shows Kobe's overrated. That's why he has only one two finals MVP's and only one MVP.
    Kareem, Bird, and Hakeem also have 2 FMVPs, Wilt would also have "only" 2 FMVP if they had the award back then.
    Shaq, Hakeem, and Oscar also have 1 MVP.

MVPs have a lot of factors that one player can't control, one is your teammates. You ain't going to win enough games to win the award with the team he had in 05-06 and 06-07. He led the league in scoring those years btw.
    Was Nash a better player than Kobe in 05-06? Was Dirk a better player than Kobe in 06-07? Although I think they fairly won the award and deserved it considering what the MVP award has become since the '80s. Kareem in the 70s was the last player to win it on a team that only won under 49 games.
    Anyways, Kobe is going to end up as the NBA's All-time leading playoff scorer and 3rd on the all-time scoring list along with his 5 rings, so overrated he is not.

How a Spurs fan can call Kobe overrated is beyond me. Just look at what he did to you guys in the Playoffs, we'll you don't need to look, you already know.

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    MJ in his prime would piss all over Kobe and call it rain.

Co sign

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stats needs to spin this record, tbh... teammates

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe is true hero ! With back spasm, played 42 minutes and led his team to crucial win over talented Washington Wizzards. Not only score over 30 pts, he made all 5, crucial free throws which refs gave him to stop Wizards comeback.

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Kobe is true hero ! With back spasm, played 42 minutes and led his team to crucial win over talented Washington Wizzards. Not only score over 30 pts, he made all 5, crucial free throws which refs gave him to stop Wizards comeback.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem, Bird, and Hakeem also have 2 FMVPs, Wilt would also have "only" 2 FMVP if they had the award back then.
    Shaq, Hakeem, and Oscar also have 1 MVP.

MVPs have a lot of factors that one player can't control, one is your teammates. You ain't going to win enough games to win the award with the team he had in 05-06 and 06-07. He led the league in scoring those years btw.
    Was Nash a better player than Kobe in 05-06? Was Dirk a better player than Kobe in 06-07? Although I think they fairly won the award and deserved it considering what the MVP award has become since the '80s. Kareem in the 70s was the last player to win it on a team that only won under 49 games.
    Anyways, Kobe is going to end up as the NBA's All-time leading playoff scorer and 3rd on the all-time scoring list along with his 5 rings, so overrated he is not.

How a Spurs fan can call Kobe overrated is beyond me. Just look at what he did to you guys in the Playoffs, we'll you don't need to look, you already know.
    Bird had 3 consecutive MVP's, during that period of time he was the best player in the NBA. He was the finals MVP in 2 of 3 and unquestionable the best C's player in all 3 of their championships. The best player of the showtime Lakers was Magic, Kareem was over 30 by then, but he still got to win 6 MVP's. Wilt was the best player of all the championship teams he was part of, and he won the MVP 4 times?

Hakeem was the best player of all his championship teams too. They won 2, so he was twice the finals MVP. He won the MVP once, but he also won an DPOY once.

Shaq took his vacations on company time, was injured often while he was the best NBA player, so he won the MVP only once. But he won the finals mvp 3 times and was the best player of those Lakers teams. But one of Nash's MVP could have gone to Shaq, not Kobe and the other was well deserved. The Suns eliminated the Lakers in first round various times during that period, I think that Kobe missed the playoffs once too. And was Kobe deserving the MVP more than Paul the year he won it? Was Kobe deserving the finals MVP in 2010? There is something wrong with his stats. Otherwise he wouldn't be leading the Lakers to lottery. Dirk silenced any eventual critics after 2010. Sure Kobe has 5, Pippen 6 and Horry 7 - but the question is what was the role of that players in those teams and how much credit can they take for the 'ships.

Kobe is an all time great, but not really near the top.

The Spurs didn't have a SG in 2001, so Kobe was guarded by much shorter Daniels. The next year arrived Bowen and Kobe was a non factor, until 2008, when Bowen was 38? and Kobe played decently. Still, the Lakers won that series because of Odom.
    Last edited by dunkman; 12-15-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are we done talking about how great K. Bryant is? This year he has the best center in the league by far, yet he leads his team to a 9-14 record - now 10-14 after narrowly beating the Wiz.

Another poster said it best...he's one of the most overrated players in the history of the league.

Quick Fact: Bryant's career shooting prcentage is 45.4%. George Gervin played 16 years of ABA/NBA, and he never had a single season when he shot that poorly.

Bryant's true skill is being able to get up as many shots as he does without either his coach or his teammates strangling him on the court.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Bird had 3 consecutive MVP's, during that period of time he was the best player in the NBA. He was the finals MVP in 2 of 3 and unquestionable the best C's player in all 3 of their championships. The best player of the showtime Lakers was Magic, Kareem was over 30 by then, but he still got to win 6 MVP's. Wilt was the best player of all the championship teams he was part of, and he won the MVP 4 times?

Hakeem was the best player of all his championship teams too. They won 2, so he was twice the finals MVP. He won the MVP once, but he also won an DPOY once.

Shaq took his vacations on company time, was injured often while he was the best NBA player, so he won the MVP only once. But he won the finals mvp 3 times and was the best player of those Lakers teams. But one of Nash's MVP could have gone to Shaq, not Kobe and the other was well deserved. The Suns eliminated the Lakers in first round various times during that period, I think that Kobe missed the playoffs once too. And was Kobe deserving the MVP more than Paul the year he won it? Was Kobe deserving the finals MVP in 2010? There is something wrong with his stats. Otherwise he wouldn't be leading the Lakers to lottery. Dirk silenced any eventual critics after 2010. Sure Kobe has 5, Pippen 6 and Horry 7 - but the question is what was the role of that players in those teams and how much credit can they take for the 'ships.

Kobe is an all time great, but not really near the top.

The Spurs didn't have a SG in 2001, so Kobe was guarded by much shorter Daniels. The next year arrived Bowen and Kobe was a non factor, until 2008, when Bowen was 38? and Kobe played decently. Still, the Lakers won that series because of Odom.
    Ok now Kobe doesn't deserve his finals mvps and was a non factor in the 02, 03, 04 series vs spurs. Yeah...

02 Confrence semis vs SA,how about 11 points on 5-5 shooting in the 4th quarter of game 3, and singlehandedly out scored the Spurs 12 to 10 in the 4th quarter and hit the GW in game 4. Non factor...He was the best player in the series. He was also the leading scorer in the 03 and 04 series. And Odom was why they won the series in 08? Lets just forget in Game 1 when Kobe led the Lakers from a 20 point deficit with 25 in the 2nd half, outscoring the entire Spurs team by himself in the final 17:53, while Duncan was clanking freethrows. Or how about Kobe's 39 points in the clincher and 17 in the 4th quarter? Lamar Odom...gtfo

It doesn't matter if Kobe didn't win MVP or not, in 05-06, 06-07, 07-08 Kobe was the best player on the planet, it was just a matter if his teammates could give him enough help to get enough wins to get the award.
    In the 10 finals Kobe was the leading scorer by far, no one was within single digits and averaged 8 rpg, while his best teammate averaged 10 less ppg and 11.6 rpg. Kobe won back to back finals mvps, just deal with it.
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 12-15-2012 at 10:52 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So are we done talking about how great K. Bryant is? This year he has the best center in the league by far, yet he leads his team to a 9-14 record - now 10-14 after narrowly beating the Wiz.

Another poster said it best...he's one of the most overrated players in the history of the league.

Quick Fact: Bryant's career shooting prcentage is 45.4%. George Gervin played 16 years of ABA/NBA, and he never had a single season when he shot that poorly.

Bryant's true skill is being able to get up as many shots as he does without either his coach or his teammates strangling him on the court.
    Quick fact:

Kobe's career True Shooting % = .555
    Duncan's career True Shooting % = .552

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Stat on it's way with some stats that support Kobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok now Kobe doesn't deserve his finals mvps and was a non factor in the 02, 03, 04 series vs spurs. Yeah...

02 Confrence semis vs SA,how about 11 points on 5-5 shooting in the 4th quarter of game 3, and singlehandedly out scored the Spurs 12 to 10 in the 4th quarter and hit the GW in game 4. Non factor...He was the best player in the series. He was also the leading scorer in the 03 and 04 series. And Odom was why they won the series in 08? Lets just forget in Game 1 when Kobe led the Lakers from a 20 point deficit with 25 in the 2nd half, outscoring the entire Spurs team by himself in the final 17:53, while Duncan was clanking freethrows. Or how about Kobe's 39 points in the clincher and 17 in the 4th quarter? Lamar Odom...gtfo

It doesn't matter if Kobe didn't win MVP or not, in 05-06, 06-07, 07-08 Kobe was the best player on the planet, it was just a matter if his teammates could It's not over him enough help to get enough wins to get the award.
    In the 10 finals Kobe was the leading scorer by far, no one was within single digits and averaged 8 rpg, while his best teammate averaged 10 less ppg and 11.6 rpg. Kobe won back to back finals mvps, just deal with it.
    Kobe's stats for the 02 wcsf were:
    Game 1: 20 points / 18 shots
    Game 2: 26 points / 25 shots
    Game 3: 31 points / 31 shots
    Game 4: 28 points / 27 shots
    Game 5: 26 points / 20 shots
    Basically, his only good game was when the Lakers were already 3:1. Kobe was the best player of the 02 Lakers? If he shot more, more deeply were the Lakers in trouble. Ask a Spur fan if Kobe worried anyone once Bowen arrived. During the Shaq - Kobe era, Phil's strategy was to rely on Shaq with Kobe coasting trough the first three quarters and keeping him fresh to close the games. So, it was usual for Kobe to post good 4th quarter numbers.

By 2008 Bowen had lost a step, so Kobe played at 1.2 points per shot level. Not bad, but not spectacular either. The reason the Spurs lost was they didn't have anyone to put on Odom, he was too fast for the Spurs bigs and too big for the wings. Odom scored at +1.5 rate. The Spurs were unable to make stops when it mattered. With that in mind the Spurs traded for RJ. In the pivotal game 4, which the Spurs lost by 2 points, Kobe had 28 points out of 29 shots. Odom had 16 points / 9 shots. Once the Lakers had the insurmountable 3:1 lead, Kobe scored 39 on 30 shots to "close out". The Spurs barely won the Hornets in 7 games. After the game, they went directly to the airport to LA. The players slept that night at the airport, and were tired for game 1.

The best player on the planet goes further than 1st round and never misses the playoffs, doesn't get beat by other players for his MVP awards and plays much better in the finals.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Kobe's an exceptional player, just that he's more focused on stat padding - than winning.
    Last edited by dunkman; 12-16-2012 at 12:02 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe's stats for the 02 wcsf were:
    Game 1: 20 points / 18 shots
    Game 2: 26 points / 25 shots
    Game 3: 31 points / 31 shots
    Game 4: 28 points / 27 shots
    Game 5: 26 points / 20 shots
    Basically, his only good game was when the Lakers were already 3:1. Kobe was the best player of the 02 Lakers? If he shot more, more deeply were the Lakers in trouble. Ask a Spur fan if Kobe worried anyone once Bowen arrived. During the Shaq - Kobe era, Phil's strategy was to rely on Shaq with Kobe coasting trough the first three quarters and keeping him fresh to close the games. So, it was usual for Kobe to post good 4th quarter numbers.

By 2008 Bowen had lost a step, so Kobe played at 1.2 points per shot level. Not bad, but not spectacular either. The reason the Spurs lost was they didn't have anyone to put on Odom, he was too fast for the Spurs bigs and too big for the wings. Odom scored at +1.5 rate. The Spurs were unable to make stops when it mattered. With that in mind the Spurs traded for RJ. In the pivotal game 4, which the Spurs lost by 2 points, Kobe had 28 points out of 29 shots. Odom had 16 points / 9 shots. Once the Lakers had the insurmountable 3:1 lead, Kobe scored 39 on 30 shots to "close out". The Spurs barely won the Hornets in 7 games. After the game, they went directly to the airport to LA. The players slept that night at the airport, and were tired for game 1.

The best player on the planet goes further than 1st round and never misses the playoffs, doesn't get beat by other players for his MVP awards and plays much better in the finals.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Kobe's an exceptional player, just that he's more focused on stat padding - than winning.
    That is cute and all but Kobe was the best player in the 02 series.
    Let me repeat
    Game 3: With the series tied 1-1, the Lakers were up 3 points entering the 4th. Kobe scored 11 points on 5-5 shooting to give LA the win and a 2-1 series lead.
    Game 4: Entering the 4th quarter, the Spurs were up by 7 points. The entire Spurs team scores 10 points, while Kobe scored 12, including the game-winner to basically clinch the series with a commanding 3-1 lead.
    Kobe had a higher FG% than both Shaq and Kobe in the series so kudos to your points per shot stats, Kobe didn't attempt a lot of freethrows is the reason why his PPS was low.

Lets go to 08 WCF.
    In Game 1, the Spurs had a 20 point lead midway through the 3rd quarter. From that point on, Kobe outscored the Spurs by himself 23 to 20 in the Final 17:53 of the game.

Spurs - 65
    Lakers - 45

5:53, 3rd quarter

Final 17:53 of Game (From 5:53 left in the 3rd Quarter)
    Kobe Bryant- 23 points
    Spurs Team- 20 points

Starts at 5:00 of the video.

So who was the best player in the NBA in 05-06, 06-07, 07-08?
    Doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't have a good team you won't go past the first round. Michael Jordan in his first 3 series was knocked out of the first round all 3 times, getting swept twice. He averaged over 40 ppt one series and had a 60+ point game and still lost. Teams win game, are you like 12 years old or something? How do you not know this yet?

Thread Information