Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? No way. We have geniuses on this board who know better than anybody.
    Yep.
    We certainly have to keep these two for the development of the Young Core.

I think we’ve all noticed this without needing numbers but here they are:

The kids have been better without the Spurs’ stars

Point differential per 100 possessions and overall, for the San Antonio Spurs when Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker and Keldon Johnson have played with and without DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge
    ON THE COURT NUMBER OF POSSESSIONS DIFF. PER
    100 POSS.
    OVERALL POINT DIFF.
    With DeRozan and Aldridge 275 -3.0 -8
    With DeRozan, without Aldridge 156 +3.6 +6
    With Aldridge, without DeRozan 93 -2.4 -2
    With neither 103 +31.1 +32
    Since the start of the 2019-20 season through Jan. 18, 2021. Stats exclude garbage-time possessions.
    SOURCE: CLEANING THE GLASS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had to wait until this season is over?
    Why not last offseason?
    I mean it seems like spurs had a deal lined up with GS based on rumors and a recent interview with Kerr but we know what happened. It's also very possible that no one wants to trade anything of value for a year of LA or DD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.
    We certainly have to keep these two for the development of the Young Core.
    Yes, because it's as simple as you lay it out to be. You definitely qualify to handle high level management and operations. Why don't you apply?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean it seems like spurs had a deal lined up with GS based on rumors and a recent interview with Kerr but we know what happened. It's also very possible that no one wants to trade anything of value for a year of LA or DD
    Sadly the latter sounds true.
    If PATFO made sincere attempts, great. That is all I'm asking in the OP. Wiseman for LMA would indeed have been a mega score. Hopefully they explored more trades then just GS with his buddy Kerr.

If this was/is Grandpa and his power tripping holding on to his pets, that sucks balls 1,000%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, because it's as simple as you lay it out to be. You definitely qualify to handle high level management and operations. Why don't you apply?
    Oh no it's been made very complicated with the stupid contracts given out by Popped and his minions the last 4 years. But you're right I would greatly enhance the Spurs return to winning playoff basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who is the next C. Woods. An overlooked big man in a guard happy league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny to see the cognitive bias against the Spurs' FO in this forum where they (mostly) refuse to believe the GS trade was going down if Klay didn't get injured, even though there's multiple credible sources that all but pointed right towards it in the days leading up to the draft; yet there's widespread belief that they "didn't even attempt" to go after X or Y free agent, when there's absolutely no sources regarding that scenario being true, and it's known that most GMs talk about potential trades and prospects on a daily basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who is the next C. Woods. An overlooked big man in a guard happy league.
    I guess he's real close to breaking out now, but I've always liked Boucher from the Raps. Seems like the prototypical modern day big man.

I'll go with a recent draftee and say, Jalen Smith . I'm a full believer, even if I don't trust the Suns org to bring out the best in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh...a lot of teams underestimated Wood. Like, all of them. The FO hate missile is off a bit on this one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess he's real close to breaking out now, but I've always liked Boucher from the Raps. Seems like the prototypical modern day big man.

I'll go with a recent draftee and say, Jalen Smith . I'm a full believer, even if I don't trust the Suns org to bring out the best in him.
    Following up on that re: Boucher, it looks like he's on a cheap contract this year and next and his trade restriction expires in March. Would he be worth Lyles and a 1st to us? Would that be worth it to Toronto if they aren't really competing at that point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Following up on that re: Boucher, it looks like he's on a cheap contract this year and next and his trade restriction expires in March. Would he be worth Lyles and a 1st to us? Would that be worth it to Toronto if they aren't really competing at that point?
    He's for sure worth more than Lyles and a 1st, the way he's been playing. From what I've seen, he's a 4.5 that struggles against traditional, or bigger, centers, but would be a perfect compliment to our young core. I doubt the Raptors are blowing it up or anywhere close to it (unless you believe TD 21 that they've been trying to blow it up since like, 2015 ), but even if they were, I'd presume Boucher has played himself into being close to untouchable.

But on the other hand, he's already 28, so depending on where the Raptors want to go with in regards to their rebuild, he could be had. For a price - since we wouldn't be the only betters, nor close to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's for sure worth more than Lyles and a 1st, the way he's been playing. From what I've seen, he's a 4.5 that struggles against traditional, or bigger, centers, but would be a perfect compliment to our young core. I doubt the Raptors are blowing it up or anywhere close to it (unless you believe TD 21 that they've been trying to blow it up since like, 2015 ), but even if they were, I'd presume Boucher has played himself into being close to untouchable.

But on the other hand, he's already 28, so depending on where the Raptors want to go with in regards to their rebuild, he could be had. For a price - since we wouldn't be the only betters, nor close to it.
    I love him but I'd be hesitant to offer more than a 1st (lyles is just to make salaries match) with such a small sample size and him being 28. From the Raps point of view they might want to sell high and collect the asset however, if they really value him then they might consider moving Siakam (who seems unhappy there). He's another 4 that would fit our timeline quite nicely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are some up and coming 4/5 types out there, I bet the Spurs draft one this year.
    Seems like their way of doing things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love him but I'd be hesitant to offer more than a 1st (lyles is just to make salaries match) with such a small sample size and him being 28. From the Raps point of view they might want to sell high and collect the asset however, if they really value him then they might consider moving Siakam (who seems unhappy there). He's another 4 that would fit our timeline quite nicely.
    Well, it would depend on how the Spurs view their own timeline as well. He'd make sense in a scenario where the Spurs see the team as being "one piece away", and don't think they need to hard tank to get back in contention. To be honest, it's looking more and more likely that this is the path they're going to take, even though I'd rather go for a quick tank and a chance at some of these top prospects in both the '21 and '22 draft.

Anyways, if the Spurs see themselves in that position, I can see them justifying a trade for Boucher; I just doubt that a 1st and an expiring (because Lyles doesn't have any real value) will be enough to get him. He's not the perfect player, but Chris has been filling up the stat sheets in recent games, and there could be many contenders interested in his skillset (fortunately for us though, most contenders are lacking in trading assets right now).

Siakam would be perfect on the Spurs, but I seriously doubt the Raptors would give up on him after only a bad stretch of games, unless they're truly willing to blow it up. I haven't been catching their games too closely, but I've read that Pascal was recently returning to form, so I can see the Raps keeping him around and instead trying to trade for that second star that would make them true contenders. I don't think it's the best plan for them, but who knows in this league...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might consider moving Siakam (who seems unhappy there). He's another 4 that would fit our timeline quite nicely.
    Wonderful.
    But Siakam for who?
    No way Raps take LMA or DD straight up. No way i want to part with DJ KJ IV, of which they would probably want at least 2 0f 3 if not all 3.
    Can LMA be offloaded anywhere in a 3 way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are some up and coming 4/5 types out there, I bet the Spurs draft one this year.
    Seems like their way of doing things.
    Yes if it's some rookie that can come in and kick ass.
    But if it's another "2-3 years away" type that jacks up our core.
    Spurs scouting sure hit the jackpot with KJ.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it would depend on how the Spurs view their own timeline as well. He'd make sense in a scenario where the Spurs see the team as being "one piece away", and don't think they need to hard tank to get back in contention. To be honest, it's looking more and more likely that this is the path they're going to take, even though I'd rather go for a quick tank and a chance at some of these top prospects in both the '21 and '22 draft.

Anyways, if the Spurs see themselves in that position, I can see them justifying a trade for Boucher; I just doubt that a 1st and an expiring (because Lyles doesn't have any real value) will be enough to get him. He's not the perfect player, but Chris has been filling up the stat sheets in recent games, and there could be many contenders interested in his skillset (fortunately for us though, most contenders are lacking in trading assets right now).

Siakam would be perfect on the Spurs, but I seriously doubt the Raptors would give up on him after only a bad stretch of games, unless they're truly willing to blow it up. I haven't been catching their games too closely, but I've read that Pascal was recently returning to form, so I can see the Raps keeping him around and instead trying to trade for that second star that would make them true contenders. I don't think it's the best plan for them, but who knows in this league...
    My memory isn't the greatest on this front, but iirc most teams that are trying to tank do so by playing ty players lots of minutes and liberally sitting their good players, if they have any. I don't think the Spurs roster is bad enough to lose tons of games if they play hard, and I don't see the Spurs doing something drastic like shutting down all 4 of the vets for the season. Not to mention that tanking is probably anathema to Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonderful.
    But Siakam for who?
    No way Raps take LMA or DD straight up. No way i want to part with DJ KJ IV, of which they would probably want at least 2 0f 3 if not all 3.
    Can LMA be offloaded anywhere in a 3 way?
    It would have to be ddr and multiple 1sts to make sense

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with all of that. The Raps probably do prefer to trade for a 2nd star and incidentally a 1st acquired for Boucher might help them do that. As for trading Siakam it really just depends on how bad he ends up wanting out. I don't think we can realistically get him unless he's pressuring Toronto for a trade... but he might just go that unless they can get that 2nd star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it even matter? We all talk smack about PATFO all the time. Who really cares? We have a decent team with pretty damn good prospects. Hopefully they make the playoffs and make some noise. We always gotta roll with who we get.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To say the Pistons took back very little is a stretch. They got back the 16th pick in the draft and had to take back Ariza (expiring who they since flipped out), and sent out a HEAVILY protected first that won’t convey as long as Detroit sucks and misses the playoffs, which is the foreseeable future.

Then again, the Pistons were too busy signing every center on the market and then the guy who was selected at 16 is also a center. Maybe could have snookered them.

Maybe a package with LMA or DDR would have worked. But they likely were looking for a young rotation piece - would you have given up 11?

It would have to be ddr and multiple 1sts to make sense
    If you believe in your young core enough where you see them all having a future role, the roster starts to get full. If you can get a borderline, young guy who was an All NBA guy last year, you do it.

Too bad he costs 3x what Wood does... but he’d be a great fit.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair I didn't see one poster here suggest the Spurs go after him last off-season.
    What? No way. We have geniuses on this board who know better than anybody.
    I’ve been vouching for him since the 2018 offseason thread.

Get Christian Wood at all costs.
    Has Christian Wood been signed yet? He'd be the second best big on our roster, day 1.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone would look great with LMA guarding them. Poodle ing stoned him in their matchup, and Keldon did well, too, away from quick flashes the paint. Wood couldn’t back him down, though. He also went from 5-7 from three in the first game to 1-3 in the second game.

Wood will put up good numbers in the midget ball NBA, but he’ll never dominate, and force you to double him. He’s on his sixth team in six seasons.
    Watch other teams besides the Spurs you casual moron He’s averaging 24/11 for the season and you’re bragging about how good we did against him in the second matchup... where he had 24pts and 18rebs while being double teamed because he was playing with G Leaguers.

How’s Poeltl’s upside looking like?

Thread Information