Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on how much and how long... 2 or 3 years at 20 mil or so is not horrible and an easily moveable deal. Anything longer and for money ima be pissed. And considering the spurs history I can guess we're in store for a 4 year 120 million extension or some

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who believes this extension will be below 20 Mil per year is dreaming. Gonna be higher than that.
    No one rational thinks that. $20-23M would be a huge discount from the $28M he will make this year and next. Something like 3/$70, with a year four partial of $6-7M might get it done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan hurt the Spurs on the defensive last season but with DJ healthy that's not an issue anymore.

Certainly he's not the best playoffs performer but the Spurs don't have other guy who can score and pass the ball like him. It seems like DeRozan would get his extension before Murray. Weird.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Way to ignore the other side of the court

20/6/6 while barely being a net positive in the slightest of margins.
    Let's go max out Bonner then if +/- is what matters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well maybe he's worked on his game this offseason and he's show something to them. Maybe he's developed a three point shot to add to this game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep this will hold the franchise back again. They seem to love handing out contract extensions prematurely these days. And again with that 20/6/6 crap from Popsuckers when Derozan plays only one side of the ball, can’t shoot 3s and still folds under pressure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That opt in for 2020-21 is nearly $28 million. You think he's getting that on the market?
    Most players opt for longer term money rather than playing out the last year and hitting FA a year later- when he'll be 31.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, Lonnie and Derrick are going to be better overall players than Derozan in the next 1-2 years. You can even argue that Derrick has already passed Derozan as of right now

How TF are you going to have the space to pay Murray, White, Walker, Aldridge with Derozan??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well maybe he's worked on his game this offseason and he's show something to them. Maybe he's developed a three point shot to add to this game.
    I appreciate the optimism. There's always a chance he dedicated himself to working on his 3 point shot but unfortunately, 30 year old players (with a few exceptions) don't change their games much. They pretty much are who they are. Tim, Manu & Kobe were the exceptions in recent years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes zero sense with all the young guards on this team.. hard pass. I'd rather have seasons come up short with some financial flexibility at the least

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah right

He added a cool new Compton hairstyle that's about it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs must value a guy that can give them 20/6/6. That’s not the easiest thing to find in today’s NBA.

"HE ING SUCKS."

-Every SpursTalk GM

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate the optimism. There's always a chance he dedicated himself to working on his 3 point shot but unfortunately, 30 year old players (with a few exceptions) don't change their games much. They pretty much are who they are. Tim, Manu & Kobe were the exceptions in recent years.

Dominique Wilkins couldn't shoot the three to save his life and he was a sure fire First Ballot HoFer before he started picking it up and had his best season in 3-4 years before he got traded to the Clippers.

It can definitely happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could get from under Richard Jefferson and Malik Rose, I think we can get from under a Demar contract within 2-3 years. Chris Paul and the cement contract bound to him was moved and he's a tired old bag who is beyond done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They haven’t talked extension all summer and now when training camp starts all of a sudden they are talking.. all accounts is he looks really good. No sense to let talent walk in a retool period. It’s not guaranteed any of the young guys reach potential but if they do you worry about that later
    It probably has more to do with the upcoming deadline. LA's extension came about just before the extension deadline too. Locking in DeRozan to a 3 year extension means that they're locking this team into place for this season and next season too. That probably means diminishing returns with Aldridge and Gay and probably DDR too.

PATFO is locking themselves into a low ceiling team . Better to play the year out and see how DDR, White and Murray play. If they both improve then why keep DeRozan and paying him $30 million a year when they disperse his shots and play-making among White, Murray and Walker and having a lot more flexibility going forward.

Betting on Walker becoming a good player is as risky of a bet as DeRozan playing up to a big extension in his 30's but the former is only 20, still on his rookie deal and has potential to be a shooter and a defender- something that DDR isn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand this move. Don't LMA and DeRozan's contracts expire at the same time (assuming DeRozan exercises his player option)? Wouldn't it make more sense to make a deep push these next two seasons then start anew in the summer of 2021 when both contracts come off the books?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a good player but not for the money that they are going to give to him.

He comes up short when you need your big $$ guy to come through.

Get a good trade for him and move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dominique Wilkins couldn't shoot the three to save his life and he was a sure fire First Ballot HoFer before he started picking it up and had his best season in 3-4 years before he got traded to the Clippers.

It can definitely happen.
    What are the odds that DDR is able to increase his FT rate back to his peak Toronto days and shoot around league average on a decent amount of 3's? I think that's really unlikely. That means the players around him are gonna have to be able to space it while he creates so Murray, White and ideally LA would have to become consistent threats from 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think -> Dollar Cost Averaging. Make his contract easier to move with a lower per year average. The thought is to perhaps be able to get something in return IF traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any rationale for extending him is trumped by the fact that DDR loses games. Because that's the bottom line: he is all over a net negative. It is not completely his fault that Pop keeps giving him the ball to finish games, but still: he sucks on defense, can't dribble and can't close games. I know he has a superior game inside 15 feet, but so what? if he keeps losing us games...

I get all the reasons to keep him, but I don't find them compelling enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make the deal contingent upon his 3pt % being above 33% this year.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yuck. This Brian Wright as GM seems like he sucks
    first he costs us a franchise player & now hes resigning a mental midget.............fire wright

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh
    Does Timmy Duncan have any say in personnell decisions now that he will be assistant coach?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's because he spent the summer learning to drain 3's like an assassin.

Maybe. You don't know.

Thread Information