My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like tourists paid taxes to gift the Spurs an arena, tbh
    Still money that comes out of our economy to get gifted to millionaires

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs owners got a free arena, basically.
    Sounds like smart business to me.

Asking investors to pony up tons of money just to keep the Spurs in San Antonio is probably not going to help keep them in San Antonio. They aren't all Steve Balmer...investors are looking to make a profit, not sink their profits.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like smart business to me.

Asking investors to pony up tons of money just to keep the Spurs in San Antonio is probably not going to help keep them in San Antonio. They aren't all Steve Balmer...investors are looking to make a profit, not sink their profits.
    Let them go to Austin then. Next arena will probably cost at least half a billion dollars that could go to something useful instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let them go to Austin then. Next arena will probably cost at least half a billion dollars that could go to something useful instead.
    lit was a long time ago and I was living in Austin at the time but from what I remember, the arena vote barely passed and if it had failed the Spurs would have relocated to New Orleans.

I’m guessing that there will be another vote for a new arena in the next 5 to 7 years. Without a winning team I doubt it will pass and they will move on to Austin when the lease expires in 2033.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shorter drive for me, so I'm okay with it.

But as a San Antonio kid, born and raised, I still want the San Antonio Spurs to always be the San Antonio Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lit was a long time ago and I was living in Austin at the time but from what I remember, the arena vote barely passed and if it had failed the Spurs would have relocated to New Orleans.

I’m guessing that there will be another vote for a new arena in the next 5 to 7 years. Without a winning team I doubt it will pass and they will move on to Austin when the lease expires in 2033.
    It was 61-39, hardly a close shave. Locals realized there was no personal pain in approving the arena, and they’ll likely do it again. Time to raze the Alamodome, and build on that spot. Monster truck shows, HS all star football games, and a 3rd rate bowl game shouldn’t stand in the way of a well placed first rate NBA arena.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was 61-39, hardly a close shave. Locals realized there was no personal pain in approving the arena, and they’ll likely do it again. Time to raze the Alamodome, and build on that spot. Monster truck shows, HS all star football games, and a 3rd rate bowl game shouldn’t stand in the way of a well placed first rate NBA arena.
    That team had Tim Duncan and was coming off the first le in franchise history. Don't see voters being eager to piss away half a billion this time unless the Spurs can do a really impressive rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked the experience of going to games a lot more when the Spurs played downtown. Absolutely hate the location of the current arena.

Do you think there will be a new arena vote in the next 5 to 7 years or push it out 10 years with another renovation of the current stadium?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked the experience of going to games a lot more when the Spurs played downtown. Absolutely hate the location of the current arena.

Do you think there will be a new arena vote in the next 5 to 7 years or push it out 10 years with another renovation of the current stadium?
    7 years sounds about right with 2030 being the last ditch vote and then team bails on the lease in 2031 if it fails.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda what happens when a celebrity publishes his partisan political views. He's certainly free to do that and people are free to respond in kind. Two way Street
    Yeah, you have a point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fred’s Fish Fry Center

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d love for the type of ownership to follow the Green Bay Packers model. The league would do everything to stop any changes to their current m.o., of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda what happens when a celebrity publishes his partisan political views. He's certainly free to do that and people are free to respond in kind. Two way Street
    Always said by the people who voted for the most ignorant celebrity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Investors should buy up the land around the arena and build there. It’s funny because it’s an actual small golf course close to the arena but other than that it’s a dump.

The Alamo dome was closer to everything which made it more fan friendly unless you’re trying to drive downtown. Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Martinez Tire Shop Arena

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tink a taco center

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shorter drive for me, so I'm okay with it.

But as a San Antonio kid, born and raised, I still want the San Antonio Spurs to always be the San Antonio Spurs.
    There already is an Austin Spurs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about the Hemisphere Arena?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    H‑E‑B seems the most fitting. Thomas J Henry Court (see what I did there)? SWBC Center? USAA Arena?
    Won't work because, as Antoine Walker lamented, "There are no fours."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There already is an Austin Spurs!
    True, but technically they play in Cedar Park.

IF the Spurs moved to Austin, they would probably become the Austin Spurs and then GLeague would become Cedar Park Spurs or something of that nature...I'm actually not crazy about the idea of calling them both Spurs. They used to be the Toros, which wasn't a great name but at least it was different.

That said...Austin is a college town and only cares about UT. That may be changing now that we have the Austin FC, but I think it is a long ways away from having a NBA, NFL, or MLB team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the team ended up moving closer to Austin I wonder if they would consider going with a regional name? Golden State Warriors covers the whole state but they are a Bay area team, maybe SoTex Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the team ended up moving closer to Austin I wonder if they would consider going with a regional name? Golden State Warriors covers the whole state but they are a Bay area team, maybe SoTex Spurs?
    Nah
    I don't think Austin is real viability
    As Dex pointed out Austin is a college sports town. Moving near Austin I think would cut attendance. People in SA are not going to drive an hour to go to a game and attendance draw from Austin would be negligible offset. I guess there is some feeling that Austin and San Antonio will merge into some sort of combined metro. I'm not seeing it, but I've been wrong before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lived in Austin in late 70s to 1989. It was basically a college town when it came to sports. But that city has blown up with people moving into Austin from all over the country. Huge Asian population. I think a winning NBA team would be successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs move to Austin, the Austin Spurs could relocate to San Antonio and finish out the lease in the arena formerly known as the AT&T Arena.
    Would be totally humiliating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick Google search has San Antonio metro at only 200k more in population than Austin metro, and at rate of growth the capital will surpass SA by end of the '20s.

Irregardless to that fact, I refuse to believe the San Antonio leaders and voters will give up their only pro team short of 100% funding of a new arena. I can't stomach a city change even if it's 75 miles as the crow files.

The other cities - Vegas, Seatlle can wait for their expansion team. No reason for the league to permit relocation of what's the 4th most successful team (warrior's Philly era notwithstanding).

Thread Information