Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was starting because Portland started him, not because he was good. Folks have to accept that all NBA players have talent. Every single one of them. Even at what you're considering his height, he was a below-average, net-negative player. Drew is better on both sides of the court and has a better contract. Again, it's not close.
    He earned the start. He swang a playoff series and had a good preseason. This is a 2 position big that can protect the rim. Drew is strictly a 5 and does not know what is happening on the floor half the time. Compare Drew to other rim running back up bigs and see how he stacks up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He earned the start. He swang a playoff series and had a good preseason. This is a 2 position big that can protect the rim. Drew is strictly a 5 and does not know what is happening on the floor half the time. Compare Drew to other rim running back up bigs and see how he stacks up.
    Drew compares well, actually. He's closer to Boucher than he is to dregs like Collins.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Nice to see some unexpected love for Drew, albeit at Zach’s expense. From the little I’ve seen of Zach I’d say he passes the eyeball test better, has better form on his jumper, but I don’t expect him to ever contribute for us. That said, he can be a positive locker room guy, albeit a relatively expensive one. But he seems to pass Wright’s eyeball test—speaks well, has a good smile. I wish I was joking. I expect our new guys to do lots of ads for local dentists. Ok, that was a joke.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drew compares well, actually. He's closer to Boucher than he is to dregs like Collins.
    I would take a guess, you looked up Drew and Zach in Basketball Reference? Where Jakob has a better offensive rating than superstars?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no better gamble than Zach Collins this season. He is mobile and has a record of being able to knock down 3s. Drew is better on so many other things, but not 3s. Centers without long range are not useful these days. This is the reason Drew cannot compare to Zach. This is the reason FO didn't draft Sengun over Josh Primo. Spurs clearly wants to evolve into modern basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drew is being massively overrated on here. Don’t come to ST for player evals (including mine), come here for the cap information. Those are gold.

makes me wonder if people watched a minute of last season or just gave up after the team traded away Aldridge…

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drew is being massively overrated on here. Don’t come to ST for player evals (including mine), come here for the cap information. Those are gold.

makes me wonder if people watched a minute of last season or just gave up after the team traded away Aldridge…
    Yep. There are so many center can play like Drew and better than Drew. But it's much harder to find mobile big guys who can knock down 3s. Yes Zach never had a good percentage on 3s in NBA. But at least he did in college and still shoots 3s in NBA. This gives the FO hope. Without those 32.3% on 3s, Spurs won't want him even if he wants to play for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach is a low risk with huge upsides. A 50% guarantee next year? He’s a mobile big who can stretch the floor. He is what modern NBA is looking for, and the closest we got is Samanic, who may or may not pan out. Landale has yet to play a minute of NBA. He’s scheduled to be back by November or December if no setbacks from his surgery, which he says is the best he’s felt. He’s 23 years old and a former lottery pick. Like the Primo pick, PATFO is taking a low risk who could be huge for us. From what I’ve seen from highlights, I see a swagger in his game. And the guy is trying to prove himself, so that’s always good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He earned the start. He swang a playoff series and had a good preseason. This is a 2 position big that can protect the rim. ...

Who are you talking about? It can’t be Zollins.

For example, Poeltl had a blk% last season of 5.7. When last seen Zollins was 1.5.

Where are you getting your alleged info?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At times last year Drew was just as good defensively as Jakob (per the eye test not sure about actual stats) and is a better rim runner than him because he actually finishes strong. I don't think Drew is being overrated here at all. Eubanks is a very very good backup NBA big imo. Very much like Aaron Baynes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At times last year Drew was just as good defensively as Jakob (per the eye test not sure about actual stats) and is a better rim runner than him because he actually finishes strong. I don't think Drew is being overrated here at all. Eubanks is a very very good backup NBA big imo. Very much like Aaron Baynes.

Drew is not a good post defender, jakob is better without a doubt. Offcourse Drew can block shots and is not that bad finishing at the rim but he lacks a lot of things like the one on one D. Imo he's a good 3rd big , not a good back up, maybe if he continues to improve.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are you talking about? It can’t be Zollins.

For example, Poeltl had a blk% last season of 5.7. When last seen Zollins was 1.5.

Where are you getting your alleged info?
    Collins lead the league in DFG% at the rim his rookie year when he was playing most of his minutes at center. Sop re he split time between 4 and 5, and being mobile defender he was not exclusively used in drop coverage and had to guard the perimeter. He has a rim protectors standing reach at 9'3 he can deter shots at the rim without jumping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no better gamble than Zach Collins this season. ...
    Bull . Beg your pardon, but it is.

He can’t walk.

He is mobile ...

Yeah, those wheelchairs can roll surprisingly fast as long as the hubs are well oiled.

Spurs clearly wants to evolve into modern basketball.
    Um. And they’re going about it like mice evolving into horses, which should only take, oh, 100 million years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gonna have to disagree here. Drew was often the center of botched plays and looked like he had a brain lapse every other play. He would show flashes from time to time but was a huge liability most of the time because he wasn’t a very smart player (and that could be due to inexperience)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though I don't think it's even a debate who's better, the fact that Drew is on a minimum deal and Collins is on a $21M/3 deal is a problem. Even if the Spurs just traded away a way better center or just signed one, those players are still comfortably better than Collins too. He's not good, never has been. That he's indistinguishable from a min guy even at his best is the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird they couldn’t have offered Dieng more. With Zollins it’s more like we’re paying him $14 million for next season and then we realize that major shoulder and ankle surgeries do take a toll. But like so much these days with the team, let’s hope we didn’t make a bad choice. Lots of hoping going on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people forget that Zach Collins is only 23. He is not a broke down old man... hes a broke down young man at least, lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins is our insurance if Drew and Jock don’t pan out? Hopefully that’s not the plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins is our insurance if Drew and Jock don’t pan out? Hopefully that’s not the plan.
    It's probably the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a classic case of missing the forest for the trees, the more I think about it, the more I'm now convinced that the signings of Collins and Jock aren't a case of the Spurs looking for compe ion for Samanic and Eubanks but that the Spurs front office just doesn't view Poeltl as the long-term starter at center. If the Spurs are looking for the eventual Poeltl replacement before having to sign him to his next contract, then the timeline of Collins' contract makes more sense, as does the usage of multiple roster spots on a position (center) that looks to be reasonably set.

Poeltl has two years left on his contract. By the end of his contract, the Spurs seem to be aligning themselves to be able to move on to a modern center who can shoot.

Still don't love the Collins signing but if you think of it as the Spurs throwing a lot of center options on the wall to hope to find one that sticks before they'd be forced to hand Poeltl an even bigger contract even though he doesn't have a modern-friendly game, it makes a little bit more sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a classic case of missing the forest for the trees, the more I think about it, the more I'm now convinced that the signings of Collins and Jock aren't a case of the Spurs looking for compe ion for Samanic and Eubanks but that the Spurs front office just doesn't view Poeltl as the long-term starter at center. If the Spurs are looking for the eventual Poeltl replacement before having to sign him to his next contract, then the timeline of Collins' contract makes more sense, as does the usage of multiple roster spots on a position (center) that looks to be reasonably set.

Poeltl has two years left on his contract. By the end of his contract, the Spurs seem to be aligning themselves to be able to move on to a modern center who can shoot.

Still don't love the Collins signing but if you think of it as the Spurs throwing a lot of center options on the wall to hope to find one that sticks before they'd be forced to hand Poeltl an even bigger contract even though he doesn't have a modern-friendly game, it makes a little bit more sense.
    Basically to fire-up Jak's behind to get him working on his shots. Got it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I definitely think they see Poeltl as tradeable. I was very curious about his mentality right now, but it looks like he expects to be back. Outside of Young, Aminu and White or Murray, I think Kakob is the most likely to be dealt. He's a good player on a fair midsized deal. He'd fit on a number of rosters better than he fits in SA. That makes him positive filler in a trade, which could save the team a future first at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a huge eubanks fan (low upside guy, but he does play with a high motor which i love), and collins theoretically had more upside than eubanks. but that was predicated on his mobility more than anything, and potentially his ability to play the 4, but those are also the aspects of his game most directly impacted by his injury. so bizarre to pay him as much as they did

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine moving off poeltl at 9 mil per year because you really want to pay collins 7 lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s play around with the idea that he is healthy for most of the duration of his contract.

is he pretty much what we expected Samanic to be? Tall, versatile on defense, gives energy?
    A lot of people compare him to Al Horford. If he can be Al Horford for that price that’s great. Gotta see how this develops

Thread Information