Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reports also coming out that he hasn't been "going through the Sixers workout plan, so no expectation he comes back improved next season.

Guy failed spectacularly, burned his bridges, and now is trying to make demands with zero leverage. Sounds like a real fun guy to have on your team.
    You'd have think Spurs fans learned their lesson with diva-wannabe stars and small markets, and yet an astounding amount of them heavily desire to go down the same path once again, only with far less upside and way more chances for a bad ending this time around. Puzzling.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A better iteration would be
    McDermott was included in the trade as well.

Might as well include Walker if you're going to back bench him.
    Yeah, it's not like 10th men are required to play siginificant minutes over the course of a long season . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green is already talking like he gone: https://streamable.com/latsa6

"It's tough to say because we don't know what we're going to get back for him [via trade]. We may get a point guard. We may get wings."

Obviously everybody can see the writing on the wall, but I don't think I've ever heard a guy talk about potential trade targets for a guy who is still on his team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reports also coming out that he hasn't been "going through the Sixers workout plan, so no expectation he comes back improved next season.

Guy failed spectacularly, burned his bridges, and now is trying to make demands with zero leverage. Sounds like a real fun guy to have on your team.
    I'm hoping that PATFO, is monitoring this situation closely, and are sniffing this out & are coming to the conclusion that this smells like another #2 drama all over again, & have determined that this dude doesn't fit the "Spurs Culture," & they don't want to deal with that drama again, so they have decided to move on from trying to obtain this guy! Let him go to Cali if he wants. Why would the Spurs want to "sell the farm" if this dude doesn't want to come to SA, & then bolt out to Cali soon as he gets the chance, & the Spurs would be left holding an empty bag? The 76'ers may have to take anything at this point, as if it were a fire sale, but let's see what kind of trifling deal to move Simmons, Daryl Morey has in his trick bag, this time, for some dumb organization to buy into. SMH...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get why people thinking Simmons distancing himself from the team is a red flag. The team isn't holding off on a trade in an attempt to reconcile. They're doing so in an attempt to get more value. So now they're just wasting everyone's time. It's better for the team if he doesn't come to the workout program is he's definitely not going to be on the team next year. That's a needless distraction. This would be like looking at the end of the Butler era in Philly and thinking "That's how the two sides should've handled this".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping that PATFO, is monitoring this situation closely, and are sniffing this out & are coming to the conclusion that this smells like another #2 drama all over again, & have determined that this dude doesn't fit the "Spurs Culture," & they don't want to deal with that drama again, so they have decided to move on from trying to obtain this guy! Let him go to Cali if he wants. Why would the Spurs want to "sell the farm" if this dude doesn't want to come to SA, & then bolt out to Cali soon as he gets the chance, & the Spurs would be left holding an empty bag? The 76'ers may have to take anything at this point, as if it were a fire sale, but let's see what kind of trifling deal to move Simmons, Daryl Morey has in his trick bag, this time, for some dumb organization to buy into. SMH...
    Yeah, it's weird all around. Assuming that there is any inkling of truth to the reports that the Spurs have discussed deals, offered Murray/Walker, etc...there seems to be interest. If that's the case, PATFO must at least have some level of belief it's a situation they could salvage...which is surprising to me, to be honest.

Granted, the Spurs have had their name thrown around in reports for leverage before, so it could all be a bunch of smoke. But usually where there is smoke, there is fire.
    Last edited by Dex; 08-31-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the fact that he's not going to report changes anything. I'd still like to bring him in on the right deal and I'd try and swing a separate or 3 team deal to bring in another high level player to compliment him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I trust the Spurs intel on Simmons.
    If they want him, there is a strong belief that they can salvage his career. No reason for Simmons to follow the Sixers workout plan if he is being traded.
    I'd love to see what he could do on the Spurs. Simmons with floor spacers and speedsters would be fun to watch. He would be an easy piece to build around if he fits in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the fact that he's not going to report changes anything. I'd still like to bring him in on the right deal and I'd try and swing a separate or 3 team deal to bring in another high level player to compliment him.
    From a trade perspective, no. It was already pretty clear that he wanted out...this just makes it that much more official.

From an optics standpoint, he's definitely adding to his reputation of being a whiny little diva. Just seems way too close to the whole Kawhi ordeal for my comfort, even if he is a good talent.

Apparently that doesn't matter much in Tday's NBA, but I would still think that should send up a bunch of red flags for an organization that apparently hangs their hat on "culture"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Report: Ben Simmons tells 76ers he wants out of Philadelphia, is prepared to skip training camp

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...193258670.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get what people says about sell the farm. What farm? ESPN, for what it’s worth, just ranked the Spurs at 23rd with our current roster. DJ? As much as I like his progress (and I actually almost gave up on him until last season), still has big flaws on his game as the starting PG, with his heavy ISO plays. LW4? He hasn’t really shown consistent production and could still likelihood be a bust. The Bulls picks? that we almost didn’t have had Demar just walked? Spurs would be lucky if Philly or Portland would take anyone from our “farm.”

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, that's the point. If the Spurs can get Simmons for pennies on the dollar might as well do it. No one wants the Spurs to dump three firsts and four pick swaps like Brooklyn did to get Harden. But if the Spurs can get Simmons for some kind of crap offer like Murray + Walker + Aminu + Chicago's first obviously you jump on that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a funny farm...when it comes to spurs the smoke isn't indicating fire, just gas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get what people says about sell the farm. What farm? ESPN, for what it’s worth, just ranked the Spurs at 23rd with our current roster. DJ? As much as I like his progress (and I actually almost gave up on him until last season), still has big flaws on his game as the starting PG, with his heavy ISO plays. LW4? He hasn’t really shown consistent production and could still likelihood be a bust. The Bulls picks? that we almost didn’t have had Demar just walked? Spurs would be lucky if Philly or Portland would take anyone from our “farm.”
    I don't know why you'd give a what ESPN ranks the Spurs at. This is the org that rated DeRozan at the #82 player in the league last year, behind pretty much the entire starting lineup of the Pelicans. They're a joke and should never be taken seriously.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I’m Spurs, just sit and wait until closer to camp. Let sixer leverage wane. I think Morey is at risk of overplaying his hand here soon.

Bottom line: do what Raps did to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a trade perspective, no. It was already pretty clear that he wanted out...this just makes it that much more official.

From an optics standpoint, he's definitely adding to his reputation of being a whiny little diva. Just seems way too close to the whole Kawhi ordeal for my comfort, even if he is a good talent.

Apparently that doesn't matter much in Tday's NBA, but I would still think that should send up a bunch of red flags for an organization that apparently hangs their hat on "culture"
    LaMarcus Aldridge was as big a diva as we’ve ever had on the roster, and asked to be traded. Pop and company talked him off the ledge, and the Spurs won 128 games over the next two seasons, and made a WCFs appearance.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I’m Spurs, just sit and wait until closer to camp. Let sixer leverage wane. I think Morey is at risk of overplaying his hand here soon.

Bottom line: do what Raps did to us.
    Poeltl pick Murray for green Simmons and cash... Wait a minute...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get why people thinking Simmons distancing himself from the team is a red flag. The team isn't holding off on a trade in an attempt to reconcile. They're doing so in an attempt to get more value. So now they're just wasting everyone's time. It's better for the team if he doesn't come to the workout program is he's definitely not going to be on the team next year. That's a needless distraction. This would be like looking at the end of the Butler era in Philly and thinking "That's how the two sides should've handled this".
    Yeah I really don't understand peoples views here. They threw him under the ing bus after the playoffs and it was clear they want him gone but its also clear they're holding out big time. Dude wants to move on, they want to move on, he's making sure they stop ing around.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Pop would be the perfect head coach to help Simmons get better as a player. Spurs would have to offer Murray, Poeltl, future 1st rounder. I think it makes both teams better. Does he want to be here though and help this team get better in the future?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why people think Philly wants, or would even accept Poeltl. They’d probably be happier with Thad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know why people think Philly wants, or would even accept Poeltl. They’d probably be happier with Thad.
    It's not that absurd to believe Philly would value Jakob. After a Simmons trade, Philly would be all-in on Embiid taking them to a le. That counter-intuitively means they should be limiting his minutes as much as possible. So getting a guy who's probably the best back-up center in the league would help them do that. Drummond is okay, but he's still a point they can upgrade. They might well prefer Young to Poeltl, but they might also want both, and if trading Jakob allows the Spurs to save on value elsewhere in the trade, then they should be willing to do it.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jakob poeltl our most valuable player according to 538

what's truly sad is this is not a laughable take

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jakob poeltl our most valuable player according to 538

what's truly sad is this is not a laughable take
    I'd still much rather have this year's roster than last, even with Forbes and Mc balls on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In case people are wondering, the Spurs can trade Primo starting 09/10 -- so next weekend. Not saying the teams are waiting on that deal (the salary for the other pieces probably fit matching rules anyway), but something like Murray, Primo, Young and picks matches salary with Simmons pretty well.

If the Spurs and Sixers have agreed to a framework with Murray and AFA going out, then Primo's salary would be necessary. Outside of three-team deals, I didn't see any other remotely realistic combination of players going out from Philly that would require Primo's salary be added to Murray and Young to make the numbers work. Before anyone asks, the same is true for White. It would be necessary for Young and Aminu, but I can't see any Simmons trade that sends neither White nor Murray out -- I wouldn't even want such a trade if one existed.

So the other explanation for why Primo would be in the trade despite having signed his deal is that SA couldn't wait any longer to ink him. He was playing in the SL and was probably on some insurance. After the Spurs inked Primo, it basically put a Simmons trade on hold for 30 days. As I said, Primo's salary shouldn't affect any deal, so him signing wouldn't change anything. I feel like if this were agreed to ala the Love-to-Cleveland deal, we'd already know. So it probably isn't. But considering how Philly apparently liked Josh in the draft, I could see him being a big part of a Simmons package. If the Spurs love him, I'd be really hesitant to make the move. But if they drafted him basically knowing that's who the Sixers coveted, it might explain some things.

I'd personally prefer Vassell to be the traded player over any other wing prospect since he should have good value but also is least likely to develop into a second banana. But obviously, Devin would have a great chance to start with Simmons if he survived the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why you'd give a what ESPN ranks the Spurs at. This is the org that rated DeRozan at the #82 player in the league last year, behind pretty much the entire starting lineup of the Pelicans. They're a joke and should never be taken seriously.
    Forget ESPN. Where would you rank this current Spurs?

Funny how, except Orlando (and they have Jalen), all the other teams behind the Spurs have promising young players. I like Keldon, but unless he doesn’t improve on his 3pts and mid-game, he’s going to get checked every night. This team has ONLY role players. That’s the point, when people say, “don’t sell the farm.” What farm, role players?
    Last edited by John B; 08-31-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Thread Information