My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ph, wow, what do ya know?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. If the Spurs ever get lucky and draft a top 5 player it will be hard to keep that player. Robinson-Duncan were not your typical superstars both were college educated, and were not into the night life that's a big reason why they never left. Both of them also had great maturity which is something a lot of today's superstar's lack ala Durant,Harden,etc. The odds of the Spurs getting that type of superstar again is not that high. I enjoyed the 5 les the Spurs won and accepted it as a once in lifetime deal. If the Spurs ever win another le that would be like playing with house money for me. My expectations are low. All I want is just an exciting team to watch. This current group seems like they can fit the bill.
    Completely agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, because players just can't see that the "organizational direction" is to intentionally lose...
    Now you're moving the goal posts. Tanking teams are filled with youth, many of whom are getting the opportunity of a lifetime, trying to establish themselves in the league and set themselves up for life with their second contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Zeller still on the roster?
    IMO, the highest floor went 12th in the draft. It's Vassell's upside that I like.

Otherwise, good take.
    Good question with Zeller. I can't see why he hasn't be waived. Yeah Haliburton was a good pick at 12. I love Vassell's upside too, I think a long wing who can already shoot & defend is a guaranteed NBA starter as worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now you're moving the goal posts. Tanking teams are filled with youth, many of whom are getting the opportunity of a lifetime, trying to establish themselves in the league and set themselves up for life with their second contract.
    Why though? It ties into my original argument for Ex. The fact is that none of the Lakers' young players were good or developed correctly until after they left the team that drafted them. Whether that's because of the losing culture, or the Lakers' particularly bad PD department, is not clear. I believe it's more the former, and there's a long list of players drafted into tanking teams and losing situations (where they weren't actively told to throw games, mind you) that failed to develop properly because of it.

Filling a team with youth and hoping they'll develop without vet guidance or a good culture to grow into is a recipe for disaster, IMO. Sure, the teams might finally grow into better players - once they're off your team and onto a better one. Not much use for us if we were to go that route, considering the low attractiveness of SA as a market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good question with Zeller. I can't see why he hasn't be waived. Yeah Haliburton was a good pick at 12. I love Vassell's upside too, I think a long wing who can already shoot & defend is a guaranteed NBA starter as worst.
    Maytbe as training camp body

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zeller WILL be waived. They just need bodies for training camp. They can’t afford him under the tax, or anything other than a rookie on a minimum deal, and still stay under the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why though? It ties into my original argument for Ex. The fact is that none of the Lakers' young players were good or developed correctly until after they left the team that drafted them. Whether that's because of the losing culture, or the Lakers' particularly bad PD department, is not clear. I believe it's more the former, and there's a long list of players drafted into tanking teams and losing situations (where they weren't actively told to throw games, mind you) that failed to develop properly because of it.

Filling a team with youth and hoping they'll develop without vet guidance or a good culture to grow into is a recipe for disaster, IMO. Sure, the teams might finally grow into better players - once they're off your team and onto a better one. Not much use for us if we were to go that route, considering the low attractiveness of SA as a market.
    We’re actually not arguing about the concept of tanking. I think it’s a bad idea. I just didn’t like your LAL example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. If the Spurs ever get lucky and draft a top 5 player it will be hard to keep that player. Robinson-Duncan were not your typical superstars both were college educated, and were not into the night life that's a big reason why they never left. Both of them also had great maturity which is something a lot of today's superstar's lack ala Durant,Harden,etc. The odds of the Spurs getting that type of superstar again is not that high. I enjoyed the 5 les the Spurs won and accepted it as a once in lifetime deal. If the Spurs ever win another le that would be like playing with house money for me. My expectations are low. All I want is just an exciting team to watch. This current group seems like they can fit the bill.
    The Spurs more than likely aren't going to draft the type of guy you're talking about though. They draft Spurs type guys that seem to have been good teammates and aren't divas. Neph fooled a lot of ppl.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zeller WILL be waived. They just need bodies for training camp. They can’t afford him under the tax, or anything other than a rookie on a minimum deal, and still stay under the tax.
    That and they'll be doing Zeller (and Zeller's agent a favor) and keeping him as long as they can before tax consequences. No doubt he appreciates the paycheck while his agent is trying to find him a gig...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re actually not arguing about the concept of tanking. I think it’s a bad idea. I just didn’t like your LAL example.
    Actually, it was DMC's example actually, I was talking about teams like OKC, Phoenix, Sacramento. But yeah.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs more than likely aren't going to draft the type of guy you're talking about though. They draft Spurs type guys that seem to have been good teammates and aren't divas. Neph fooled a lot of ppl.
    I hope you are right about the Spurs finding another Superstar whose not a diva. The only current superstars that play today that I feel have Spurs like qualities are Jokic,Doncic, and maybe Giannis if he stays with the bucks. That's a very small group. Notice how the guys I listed are all foreigners. The rest of the superstars all have issues.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First you claimed organizations tell players to lose in taking situations, then you tried to walk it back and claim it's players reading the tea leaves.

The Lakers young players were mostly one and done (I don't think it's a coincidence that the three who more or less played up to or exceeded immediate expectations were Clarkson, Nance, Kuzma, all spent 3-4 years in college) when they played for them and also had to play under an immense spotlight that's unusual for young players on bad teams. They were naturally going to get better.

The rest of this is a different topic from what I commented on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you are right about the Spurs finding another Superstar whose not a diva. The only current superstars that play today that I feel have Spurs like qualities are Jokic,Doncic, and maybe Giannis if he stays with the bucks. That's a very small group. Notice how the guys I listed are all foreigners. The rest of the superstars all have issues.
    Yes, exactly. I think many foreigners feel a bond with the teams that draft them given they're not just learning the NBA, but often times how to be an American at the same time. They click with their local NBA communities. That initial connection is often good enough to last their NBA career, especially when a team like the Spurs focuses the team oriented activities and makes it feel like an extended family.

Yes, Jokic is Spurs to his core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First you claimed organizations tell players to lose in taking situations, then you tried to walk it back and claim it's players reading the tea leaves.

The Lakers young players were mostly one and done (I don't think it's a coincidence that the three who more or less played up to or exceeded immediate expectations were Clarkson, Nance, Kuzma, all spent 3-4 years in college) when they played for them and also had to play under an immense spotlight that's unusual for young players on bad teams. They were naturally going to get better.

The rest of this is a different topic from what I commented on.
    Oh, you were just addressing that part of my post? You really pick your cherries, smh. I see your point, it was bad wording on my side, and I don't particularly feel like players don't know they're going out there to lose when they're on a tanking team like you're trying to make a distinction of, so it's kind of moot if they're actively being told that they'll tank the season or not. Players aren't stupid. As for the Lakers, I think DMC didn't mention any of those you speak of, the ones who got better after leaving the Lakers were Lonzo, Ingram, and uhh Hart? What's he even up to? Lol. At least those were the ones I was talking about.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wrong with Curry?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wrong with Curry?
    Nothing I actually forgot about Curry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Franchise players don’t grow on trees. We had one in Leonard be turned out to be a complete total ing bag. So we try to keep building.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP sounds like an emo shemale.

Lighten up francis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was to worried about trump
    You remind me of stork from animal house. What caused your brain damage, you broken record?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm, not sure what to say, but I'll go with OP is a gott. That's worked in the past on here.
    It's a go to move around here. The got clap back.

It's the spurstalk version of deez nuts. Often overused and misused

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Franchise players don’t grow on trees. We had one in Leonard be turned out to be a complete total ing bag. So we try to keep building.
    It sucks that he was re ed and has an unhealthy emotional attachment with his uncle that can't be severed. It pisses me off sometimes thinking about how the Spurs were on the verge of doing something great historically that had never been done before which was seamlessly transition to another era of winning after losing their GOAT player Duncan. Spurs almost cheated the rebuilding mediocrity process teams have to go through after losing their GOAT but dip and his sleazebag Uncle prevented that from happening. Spurs were very unlucky with Kawhi. I guess statistically they were due for bad luck after having good luck with getting Gervin,Robinson,Duncan.
    Last edited by daslicer; 12-05-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks that he was re ed and has an unhealthy emotional attachment with his uncle that can't be severed. It pisses me off sometimes thinking about how the Spurs were on the verge of doing something great historically that had never been done before which was seamlessly transition to another era of winning after losing their GOAT player Duncan. Spurs almost cheated the rebuilding mediocrity process teams have to go through after losing their GOAT but dip and his sleazebag Uncle prevented that from happening. Spurs were very unlucky with Kawhi. I guess statistically they were due for bad luck after having good luck with getting Gervin, Robinson, Duncan.
    I couldn't have said it better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks that he was re ed and has an unhealthy emotional attachment with his uncle that can't be severed. It pisses me off sometimes thinking about how the Spurs were on the verge of doing something great historically that had never been done before which was seamlessly transition to another era of winning after losing their GOAT player Duncan. Spurs almost cheated the rebuilding mediocrity process teams have to go through after losing their GOAT but dip and his sleazebag Uncle prevented that from happening. Spurs were very unlucky with Kawhi. I guess statistically they were due for bad luck after having good luck with getting Gervin,Robinson,Duncan.
    nailed it. I think that's how we all feel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ph, wow, what do ya know?
    Nice some one makes up quotes when you cannot at all refute post that FO has underperformed over last three years yet this board in part ok with mediocrity at best.

Thread Information